PDA

View Full Version : Broyles follows his heart

MajorMike
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Matt Hensley
SoonerScoop.com

The hoopla surrounding Norman, Okla. star Ryan Broyles has been painted across local newspapers and internet message boards everywhere, but Thursday it appears to have all come to a crashing halt.

After switching his commitment from Oklahoma State to Oklahoma on Monday the four-star talent resolidified his commitment to the Cowboys after a long, strenuous decision. The question is, with all of the confusion, what really happened?

"When I got back from my visit to Oklahoma State and talked to Oklahoma that night I went to sleep and woke up feeling comfortable with committing to Oklahoma. I think me being here and everybody here in Norman around me it just felt like the decision I should make, but I don't think my heart was really sold on that yet," said Broyles.

The reaction to the change was much more than he could have anticipated. With his change being plastered on the front page of newspapers and made public through local news stations things were moving at lightning speed for the young star. However, through the confusing process Broyles made a decision with his heart.

"Whenever I made my decision the media kind of blew up," he said. "I wasn't expecting anything like that and I was confused through a lot of it. I knew my whole heart wasn't in the change and I wanted to make sure of some things before I decided on anything for sure.

"With all of the pressure and my phone ringing all the time it kind of pressured me into speeding up my decision. Whenever everything cleared up, OSU was the place. In my heart Oklahoma State was the place I wanted to be."

The process came to a climax when Broyles received in-home visits from the Mike Gundy and Bob Stoops in back-to-back nights. The confusion was suddenly ironed out after an in home from Oklahoma's head coach.

"Coach Gundy came in and they were just saying the facts about Oklahoma State," he said. "They knew this was a tough decision so they just put out the facts and they didn't dog on OU at all. They just told me the chances I have at Oklahoma State.

"Coach Stoops did the same thing. He just told me the opportunities I have at Oklahoma. Neither of them were dogging on anyone.

"After I got both sides of the story it was easier for me to compare the two schools and everything just started to come together for me. (Recommitting to OSU) was what I felt was the right thing to do."

There's not doubt many will be upset about what has transpired over the past 72 hours, but there is no question the mental battle in the mind of Ryan Broyles has been quite the tug-of-war. In the end, Oklahoma State was where he found his comfort.

"I know where ever I go I'll be successful on the field," he said. "But a lot of it came down to what would help me be a successful person more than a player. I have nothing against Norman, I love it, but I need to grow as a person. And if I leave for college I feel like I'll become a better person and grow up more than if I was around everything I've always been around."

So, the question is: Is the Ryan Broyles saga complete?

"I'm committed to Oklahoma State now and it's 100-percent."

Broyles is rated the No. 11 cornerback in the country according to Rivals.com and is a member of the Rivals250 honoring the top 250 players in the country.

Reed Coldiron
OStateIllustrated.com Publisher

Needless to say, Norman High School product Ryan Broyles has certainly generated quite a media buzz over the past few days with his uncertainties towards which school he will sign with come February 7. It appears now as though it has all come to an end as Broyles set the record straight with where he is going to school.

"Oh man, well, I just committed to Oklahoma State and this is my final decision, kind of like the (who wants to be a) millionaire show. I'm trying to keep a little sense of humor with it," he said.

As to what set up today's decision, when the air of uncertainty started to swirl, both schools' head coaches made appearances in order to present their best case.

"Yeah, Coach Stoops was in my home last night and Mike Gundy and Gunter Brewer were in here the night before," said Broyles. "This is all been kind of confusing but I guess once that all kind of got out of the way and it was all said and done I just felt for where my heart was and Oklahoma State is the place that I want to be at," said Broyles.

Is there anything in particular that he thinks is making him feel this way?

"I guess all along it's the place that I felt was the best fit for me. I've been up there a few times and I just like where there program is heading and I just want to be a part of it," he said.

So does he still have any doubts?

"Nah, this is it for me," he said.

With that being the case, Broyles mentioned that he is planning to come in to Stillwater as a wide receiver. Now as to how he is going to go about the process of signing day, he has yet to establish an order of operation with his head coach.

"I'm not sure. I am going to have to talk to Coach Peters about that. I think we're going to set up something where we can have it at the school. I think that's where it's going to be. I'm not sure how it's going to work out. I know some people are wanting to have the radio be there or something like that but it depends on how my coach wants things worked out," he said.

On a final note, the four-star rated Broyles had one final comment.

"Yeah, I just want to thank both teams for giving an opportunity really. If there is any way you could put that in the story I'd appreciate it," he asked.

We were happy to oblige.

tlongII
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
With a name like Broyles you would think he'd enroll at Arkansas.