PDA

View Full Version : Stat Geek Musings...

Sobe_Kucks
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
A little dip in defense mean a lot... We all agree that we need to make a trade or do something to the roster (back-up PG/true starting center).

Last night they flashed up some stat about how many games the Spurs used to win when they shot under 45% and how many they win now when shooting under 45%. There was a distinct difference. It brings up some interesting points...

Our scoring is up from last year, but we used to be one of the top two best defensive teams in the league and now we're only one of the top 4 defensive teams in the league. We allow more points and a better shooting percentage than last year, however we're about middle of the pack in the league for scoring (better than last year). We're about the same in team rebounding as well. Leads one to believe that team defense is the key to getting back to our old ways. With all the trade talk on this board (which will probably not happen), what one move would help team defense most? Bonner's return probably won't affect team defense much. :(

Purple & Gold
02-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Rebounding and defense from the center position will help the team the most. It's unfair to ask Duncan to do so much.

Extra Stout
02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Agree, the Spurs would need a legitimate defensive center. Their other problems are concerns, but the awful center play keeps them from playing anything resembling traditional Spurs basketball.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Agree, the Spurs would need a legitimate defensive center. Their other problems are concerns, but the awful center play keeps them from playing anything resembling traditional Spurs basketball.

That's why I keep saying the center spot is more important than backup point or the wings.

If they get a decent center (or PF and slide Duncan to C), then they don't have to play small ball. Then they'll be more wings available to be wings. Then Barry can see some more minutes at backup point. And everything is much, much better.

They need to just somehow get a big.

Sobe_Kucks
02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Rebounding and defense from the center position will help the team the most. It's unfair to ask Duncan to do so much.

Not one to agree with a Lakerfan but... with all the back-up PG talk around here, I think you are spot on with the immediate need being at the center position not PG/PF/SF.

Purple & Gold
02-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Not one to agree with a Lakerfan but...
:lol

Yes. A starting big man is much more important than a backup PG or a SF. With your team as it is. You will probably lose to Dallas, Utah (with a healthy Boozer), Houston (with a healthy Yao and T-Mac). Phoenix, Lakers, and Denver will also be difficult matchups for the Spurs, but more winnable. Although I do think the Lakers would beat you in a playoff series and I'm still undecided about Phoenix and Denver.

VaSpursFan
02-02-2007, 01:42 PM
in the past i was thinking the PG situation was more critical given the inept b-ball skills of beno and JV. But then I realized that our defense is shit because we don't have the personnel to effectively run our defensive scheme. oberto is too slow and short and Elson has the athleticism but he has the b-ball IQ of a rock. I've never seen anyone mistime their jump for rebounds, rotate late, jump late to block. his timing is off across the board...even when it comes to setting screens!

bruce is getting lit up because he does his perimeter work but when it's time for the bigs to help out, anyone not named timmy can't do shit. Pop is at a crossroads, I'm curious to see what he does. The Spurs just may have to re-invent themselves on the fly this year.

doldrums
02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
In order of importance

Big man who can rebound
Backup pg
Lobotomy for Beno
wing