PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan on Spurs

lefty
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Form today's chat :

Chris Sheridan: (12:32 PM ET ) They're getting less on the offensive end from Bowen than they did last year, and Finley hasn't but one or two nice games all season. The centers last years weren't great (Rasho and Nazr), but this year's guys (Oberto, Elson) have contributed very, very little. I think they'd be staring Bonner now if he wasn't hurt, and I'm wondering why they won;t at least give Jackie Butler a chance.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
The Spurs are in a sad state when a fat redhead has to be the savior.

But that's where we be at.

:smokin

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I was dubious last summer when people said Bonner would contribute. I didn't realize it was by default.

timvp
02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't think the Spurs even knew Bonner was a player. All they knew is he was an expiring contract.

If it wasn't for injuries, Pop would have never accidentally played him.

Extra Stout
02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Is Bonner really even a player? Or does he just look like one because the alternatives are dog crap?

Kori Ellis
02-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Is Bonner really even a player? Or does he just look like one because the alternatives are dog crap?

I think he's a good hustle player and can contribute from time to time.

No savior, but probably better than what has been on the court lately.

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Seeing a player hustle and actually be able to affect the game outside of his zone is manna from heaven. Not saying Finley and Horry aren't hustling, but they're too damn old and slow to affect anything outside a limited range.

yavozerb
02-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I really do hope they can sign him for 2-3.5 million $ range after this year to possibly 2-3 year contract..I think he can be asset for the spurs in the future, esp. if horry retires.

VaSpursFan
02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
you can't help but like a guy that hustles and plays the game with passion. the red rocket may not be the most athletic player but he does some much needed things for this team to suceed.

Marcus Bryant
02-02-2007, 02:08 PM
That's what happens when you try to build a championship supporting cast with short term contracts.

bdictjames
02-02-2007, 02:12 PM
We should have at least kept Rasho and acquired Elson.

diego
02-02-2007, 04:09 PM
on this team, bonner is the 2nd most athletic big after duncan. that alone makes him valuable to us. plus he is coordinated (judging from his % and some of his onehanded shots) and hustles. he will improve our frontcourt, but obviously not by much.

why pop wont play williams Ill never understand. when i saw him he looked better than horry, especially for pops beloved small ball, and the feedback from the forum most agree hes done good, he says all the right things in interviews... I mean does pop really think that horry, oberto, finley, bowen, barry are playing so well that he cant find 10minutes per game to see if this guy can contribute?

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 04:11 PM
on this team, bonner is the 2nd most athletic big after duncan.

He's a hustler, but that's a mistatement. Elson is way more athletic.

Timmy!
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Should have forked over the buyout for Scola and brought him in this year.

Cheap ass Holt.

Sam
02-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't think the Spurs even knew Bonner was a player. All they knew is he was an expiring contract.

If it wasn't for injuries, Pop would have never accidentally played him.
Fat Redhead??? Yeah they knew he was a player. He had played against them in summer league and had inquired about him when he was playing in Italy. Not to mention he was in the NBA Cares program that went to China and heard great things about him there. Bonner was also on Dallas' radar. Cuban had talked to him before he re-upped with Toronto.

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Should have forked over the buyout for Scola and brought him in this year.

Cheap ass Holt.

Pish. What do we need with an intense, energetic, passionate, active mature young player (under 30) who can get his own shot, score on his own, has some athleticism, and would cost no more than $3M/year?

Sam
I really do hope they can sign him for 2-3.5 million $ range after this year to possibly 2-3 year contract..I think he can be asset for the spurs in the future, esp. if horry retires.
He's asking for 4 to 4.5 a year and looking for 3 years.

yavozerb
Where did you get this info??

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe you should have posted the rest

Scott (Dallas, TX): I am sick of all the attention the Phoenix Suns are getting. There is no way that they are going to beat the Mavs let alone the Spurs in a best-of-seven series. Not that the Mavs needed any more motivation, but do you think the obvious All-Star snub of Josh Howard is going to be all the motivation the Mavs need to win it all? Come on a team that has gone 38-9 and owns the best record has only one All-Star. What an outrage!

Chris Sheridan: The Mavs fans are pretty vocal in the question queue, lots of statements like Scott's. I wouldn;t want to pick a Mavs-Suns playoff winner at this early date, but after watching last night's game and keeping an extra close on the Spurs over the past couple of weeks, I'm not too high on them. If I had to pick a Suns-Spurs playoff series right now, I'd take Phoenix in 5.

RonMexico
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Ben (Phx): It is interesting that Spurs and Mavs fans try and trash the Suns rather than talk about how good their teams are. I guess they just fear them like the rest of the league does.

Chris Sheridan: The weekly "this post speaks for itself" post.

timvp
02-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Fat Redhead???

:lol That is what other called him back when I was one of the few people on the forum excited about adding Bonner to the roster. Bonner was one of my favorite players even before he joined the Spurs.

Yeah they knew he was a player. He had played against them in summer league and had inquired about him when he was playing in Italy. Not to mention he was in the NBA Cares program that went to China and heard great things about him there. Bonner was also on Dallas' radar. Cuban had talked to him before he re-upped with Toronto.

Interesting. Hopefully he can play well to end the season and into the playoffs and then re-up this summer.

yavozerb
02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
I could the spurs re-signing him for 4 for 3 years..Hopefully it will happen

ploto
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Ask the Raptors fans how much they enjoyed Matt Bonner as their starting center? :lol

yavozerb
02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Ask the raptors who the other 4 starters were as well. Don't think bonner is a starter but definate 1st or 2nd off the bench!!

THE SIXTH MAN
02-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Ask the Raptors fans how much they enjoyed Matt Bonner as their starting center? :lol
Ask the spurs fans how they enjoyed rasho as their starting center? :lol

ploto
02-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Ask the raptors who the other 4 starters were as well. Don't think bonner is a starter but definate 1st or 2nd off the bench!!
Chris Bosh :)

Sam
02-02-2007, 08:41 PM
He's not a center and never has been. You can't play people out of their roles. However if you would put him in the high post and let him feed Tim and the corners then step out and shoot the three then he's fine. Oh that's right...that's what he was doing before he got hurt. :spin

Russ
02-02-2007, 09:26 PM
The Spurs are in a sad state when a fat redhead has to be the savior.

http://gorillamask.net/gingerkids.shtml

Pugglekicker_21
02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
regardless bonner will help fat or not

smdanss
02-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Form today's chat :

Chris Sheridan: (12:32 PM ET ) They're getting less on the offensive end from Bowen than they did last year, and Finley hasn't but one or two nice games all season. The centers last years weren't great (Rasho and Nazr), but this year's guys (Oberto, Elson) have contributed very, very little. I think they'd be staring Bonner now if he wasn't hurt, and I'm wondering why they won;t at least give Jackie Butler a chance.
I agree! We should play Bonner and at least try Butler. See what they can do. Pay them but not use them is not a smart choice. Pop should open his mind to the team, what is your strategy for the team on new players. :madrun :madrun :madrun

conversekid
02-03-2007, 12:37 AM
I think he's a good hustle player and can contribute from time to time.

No savior, but probably better than what has been on the court lately.

Bonner is no saviour, but he looks hungry. He wants to take the shot, he wants to hustle, he wants to play... mix in a little bit of talent with those qualities and we have a solid bench player. Outside of the 3, I don't see the hunger in the Spurs eyes.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Bonner is no saviour, but he looks hungry. He wants to take the shot, he wants to hustle, he wants to play... mix in a little bit of talent with those qualities and we have a solid bench player. Outside of the 3, I don't see the hunger in the Spurs eyes.
Thats more than we can say for rasho.