PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Draft

GayForManu
02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
With the FO not making any trades for this season, they are essentially sending a message. That message: we will suck for the remainder of this year, use next year to rebuild and hopefully make a run for the title in 08-09. No trades this year leaves us with 4 draft picks, 8 expiring contracts (unless a few guys retire, which I hope they do), and a little bit of cap room at the end of the 07-08 season.

Hopefully we can use some of these 2 nd round picks and expiring contracts to our advantage in this years draft.

Do we trade up for one or two more 1st rounders? If so, what do we give up and to who? I wonder if Philly still likes Beno, how about Beno and a 2nd rounder for their 1st?

In the mean time, POP PLEASE PLAY JAMES WHITE AND JACKIE BUTLER. If for no reason other than to increase their value. I'm sure there are teams wanting to see what Butler has in him, and if he's good we can elect to keep him or get something good in return, but don't make him an enigma. He needs some experience before the playoffs.

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I was informed (thx Kori) that the Beno to Philly thing was total crap, so that wouldnt' work. Plus, Philly is likely to have a top 5 pick.

GayForManu
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Good to know. I'm just curious if the FO is planning to tank before the 08-09 season in order to have a high pick and some cap room

yavozerb
02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
The spurs still have enough talent to make the playoffs until the 08-09 season which is far from tanking. But I do not expect horry,beno,barry back after this year eith from trades or retirement (horry). That will free up 9 million and another 7 million in expiring contracts which totals 15 million. I am still unsure as whether bowen deservs his team option after this year but he will probably get it (4 million). With a good draft there is no reason for this team as early as next year be the top seeded playoff team once again and win another championship.
How do player options work? Finley and oberto have these in the works for next year

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Good to know. I'm just curious if the FO is planning to tank before the 08-09 season in order to have a high pick and some cap room

I doubt that's the plan.

As far as your '07 Draft question....

Mr. Body seems to think the Spurs will try to move up 10 spots or so by shipping the rights to Scola, and that's not unfounded...the Spurs tried to do it last year with no bites.

But honestly, this draft should be deep enough that the Spurs can get a quality, long 3 and a backup PG w/o pawning off their prospects....

Names to consider:

Corey Brewer, SG/SF
Jeff Green, SF
Al Thornton, SF
Demetrius Nichols, SF (2nd rd)
Mustafa Shakur, PG
Mario Chalmers, PG
Ronald Steele, PG
Darren Collison, PG

None of these (maybe with the exception of the first two) are star-calibur players, but all have the potential to be relevant contributors.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I doubt that's the plan.

As far as your '07 Draft question....

Mr. Body seems to think the Spurs will try to move up 10 spots or so by shipping the rights to Scola, and that's not unfounded...the Spurs tried to do it last year with no bites.

But honestly, this draft should be deep enough that the Spurs can get a quality, long 3 and a backup PG w/o pawning off their prospects....

Names to consider:

Corey Brewer, SG/SF
Jeff Green, SF
Al Thornton, SF
Demetrius Nichols, SF (2nd rd)
Mustafa Shakur, PG
Mario Chalmers, PG
Ronald Steele, PG
Darren Collison, PG

None of these (maybe with the exception of the first two) are star-calibur players, but all have the potential to be relevant contributors.
I'd throw in Acie Law.

remingtonbo2001
02-02-2007, 02:12 PM
I would take Kavaliauskas before Law...Law is a very good though.

yavozerb
02-02-2007, 02:12 PM
I also like the guy out of Nevada (fazekas). The guy can play and also rebounds well. Probably go around 15-25 in draft.

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I also like the guy out of Nevada (fazekas). The guy can play and also rebounds well. Probably go around 15-25 in draft.

Too slow-footed to be a 3, but I like his shooting ability. If the Spurs re-sign Bonner, I'd take him out of the running.

The target in the Draft and FA should be a long 3 and backup PG...the Spurs have a glut of PF/C.

yavozerb
02-02-2007, 02:23 PM
The problem is only maybe 3-4 legit long SF in the draft, most of whom will be gone by the time the spurs will draft. Fazekas is currently averging >10 rebounds a game so he is not only a perimter player..SF position I think is going to have to be addressed in FA. Draft is going to only aid rebounders needed and back-up pg position i think

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
We need athleticism too much to go for Fazekas. I'd take Acie Law over his Lithuanian teammate, who can be found somewhere in the 2nd. I truly believe the Spurs can grab two good rotation players in this draft, which would go a long way to bench viability. And if they pick the right SF or swingman, I think that guy can be a Josh Howard. I'm not sure if it's Alando Tucker, Jeff Green, or what. I do know Corey Brewer would be fantastic. Kori and others think this draft isn't good after the top 15 but I think it will have nice players until halfway through the 2nd, not without some duds.

The 2008 plan seems to mean clearing a lot of cap room for that summer, which means a fairly threadbare roster for next year, if with some youth. If someone like a Nocioni falls in their lap for the MLE or sign-and-trade this summer, they'll take it. Duncan may restructure his contract in 2008 to give some nice cap room and they'll take a run at an Elton Brand, who probably wouldn't say no.

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 03:00 PM
The problem is only maybe 3-4 legit long SF in the draft, most of whom will be gone by the time the spurs will draft. Fazekas is currently averging >10 rebounds a game so he is not only a perimter player..SF position I think is going to have to be addressed in FA. Draft is going to only aid rebounders needed and back-up pg position i think

One thing about there being only 3-4 legit SFs in the draft... Most developing teams already have nice players at the position and, in fact, the Spurs are one of the last teams to make some headway here. This is also a big man draft and many teams will be in that mind-set. Julian Wright will be the second SF after Durant to go, then players will start dropping down. If a Thaddeus Young comes out, the Spurs should jump for him. Some older players will drop as a result.

For point guards, I have my eye on Law and Shakur at the moment, but guys like Bobby Brown might be interesting. Law will probably play himself into the near-lottery, but if either drops into the second round, he might be a Spur because most of the early 2nd round teams already have young point guards and would have no need.

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Duncan may restructure his contract in 2008 to give some nice cap room.

Oh my god, that would be a dream come true.

I've heard of it being done in the NFL all the time, but does it have prescedence in this league?

Mr. Body
02-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh my god, that would be a dream come true.

I've heard of it being done in the NFL all the time, but does it have prescedence in this league?

Well, it's my dream, too, but Hey, it's not my money. I don't see why a player automatically has to take the maximum possible; I think it's legal.

The Spurs probably will have enough, or close, for a max-contract player without him doing anything. He'd be set to make $20 million. If he takes $15 million instead? If he takes $12 million? If he takes $10 million for several more years?

A pipe dream. But the Spurs could massively retool. Elton Brand is on the market that year. It wouldn't even have to be a free agent (or free agents); the Spurs would be able to directly absorb salary.

There are reasons to be excited about the 2008 Plan. Many more reasons if Duncan decides to re-up for a bit less than he's worth.

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
One thing about there being only 3-4 legit SFs in the draft... Most developing teams already have nice players at the position and, in fact, the Spurs are one of the last teams to make some headway here. This is also a big man draft and many teams will be in that mind-set. Julian Wright will be the second SF after Durant to go, then players will start dropping down. If a Thaddeus Young comes out, the Spurs should jump for him. Some older players will drop as a result.

Spot-on analysis of the draft situation. There are a bunch of long, quick PF/C prospects and GMs love those kinds of players.

There are also high-potential draft picks that could possibly come out (Thabeet, Young, McRoberts, Batum, etc.) that always garner the attention of GMs in the lottery area.

It seems that the "solid, but unspectacular" players seem to drop on draft day. I would classify most of the SF prospects mentioned in that category.

AFBlue
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Well, it's my dream, too, but Hey, it's not my money. I don't see why a player automatically has to take the maximum possible; I think it's legal.

The Spurs probably will have enough, or close, for a max-contract player without him doing anything. He'd be set to make $20 million. If he takes $15 million instead? If he takes $12 million? If he takes $10 million for several more years?

A pipe dream. But the Spurs could massively retool. Elton Brand is on the market that year. It wouldn't even have to be a free agent (or free agents); the Spurs would be able to directly absorb salary.

There are reasons to be excited about the 2008 Plan. Many more reasons if Duncan decides to re-up for a bit less than he's worth.

Oh my god...that would be incredible :downspin:

I can see the headline now:

July 21, 2008

Spurs' Duncan decides to opt out, but stay with Spurs: 4yr, $40M