PDA

View Full Version : wtf is going on with trades in SA?

romain.star
02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
When was the last time the Spurs signed an all star caliber player?
(Robinson, Duncan, TP and Gino were all drafted...)

The Truth #6
02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
When was the first time?

nkdlunch
02-02-2007, 07:22 PM
We can only afford hasbeens like Finley, VanX, Big Dogg, etc,etc

I say we try to bring Malone back, and maybe Kemp. Malone right now can't be worse than Oberto

johnpaulwall21
02-02-2007, 07:23 PM
A bunch of old allstars we got

DENIS RODMAN
DOMINIQUE WILKINS
NICK THE SLOW

johnpaulwall21
02-02-2007, 07:25 PM
no one wants to come to the nowhere town of "san anton" according to the players.

Trifecta
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
no one wants to come to the nowhere town of "san anton" according to the players.

I perceive this is the case! Many of the "young players" today wants to go to a town where they perceive the "action is" -- Big City markets!

Pugglekicker_21
02-02-2007, 08:06 PM
im sure veterans with something left to give would like it

Russ
02-02-2007, 09:00 PM
That is a fortunate "self-selection" that the Spurs have used to dodge such overpaid "bullets" as Chris Webber, Grant Hill and Jason Kidd.

They have no rings between them (well, Kidd may have a ring, but not the kind he wants).

Extra Stout
02-02-2007, 09:05 PM
When was the last time the Spurs signed an all star caliber player?
(Robinson, Duncan, TP and Gino were all drafted...)
The last time I can remember the Spurs trading for an All-Star caliber player when they got Sean Elliott back from Detroit in 1994.

Before that, you have to go back to Terry Cummings, and before that, Mike Mitchell.

rascal
02-03-2007, 12:10 AM
The last time I can remember the Spurs trading for an All-Star caliber player when they got Sean Elliott back from Detroit in 1994.

Before that, you have to go back to Terry Cummings, and before that, Mike Mitchell.

Cummings and Mitchell and even Elliott, I don't believe Pop and RC were in charge then. Pop and RC have done nothing in trading for all star caliber players or getting young players through a trade that get good enough to be all star caliber.

I can't think of any trade steals they have gotten and every year some team pulls off getting a very good player for next to nothing. They have failed to use the trade route in improving the team with trades.

The Truth #6
02-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Maybe other coaches and GMs don't want to deal with Pop. Also, they have a bad habit of making trades 5 minutes after the deadline.

rednecksbasketball
02-03-2007, 01:55 AM
Spurs haven't been signing All-star caliber players because like you said they have been drafting them. when you go through a long stretch where you have premier players, its hard to get other guys around them because you are forking over the money to the guys you already have.

Nbadan
02-03-2007, 01:58 AM
At least Indiana got something for Stephen Jackson.

ytg3721
02-03-2007, 03:49 AM
THAT S THE POINT I THINK

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 03:53 AM
People are funny.

Tim, Manu and Tony are All-Star caliber players. (Yes I realize the Spurs drafted them not traded/signed them)

But seriously, how many All-Stars do you think are on one team?

The Spurs don't need All-Stars; they need solid role players.

romain.star
02-03-2007, 05:12 AM
We don't need an all star right now, just role players you're right but when TD will retire, I just don't see us signing an all star caliber player to remplace the old Tim (plus it's gonna but much more difficult to sign a dominant player in the paint...)

ChumpDumper
02-03-2007, 05:15 AM
You don't replace Tim.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 05:15 AM
We don't need an all star right now, just role players you're right but when TD will retire, I just don't see us signing an all star caliber player to remplace the old Tim (plus it's gonna but much more difficult to sign a dominant player in the paint...)

True, it will be difficult to replace Tim. Just like it's difficult for any team to replace any star.

The Spurs won't be championship contenders forever. Some years, they'll even suck.

That's why fans should appreciate these good years.

Slomo
02-03-2007, 05:41 AM
The Spurs won't be championship contenders forever. Some years, they'll even suck.

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/not_listening.jpg

romain.star
02-03-2007, 06:50 AM
110% agree : after tim's retirement, the Spurs will need time to recover and become a title (even a playoff) contender again...
I just don't see what's our future after TIM...

romain.star
02-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Neither Manu nor TP could lead this team successfully.... anyway, without a dominant player in the paint, nothing's possible

SequSpur
02-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Manu is not an allstar for the record.

rascal
02-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Right, Manu is not an all star level player.

He is a very good role player. He got a gift all star appearance two years ago when his stats were not even all that impressive compared to others left off and he is now considered an all star player. Magloire is not an all star level player either although he made it to the all star game one year.

Nikos
02-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Right, Manu is not an all star level player.

He is a very good role player. He got a gift all star appearance two years ago when his stats were not even all that impressive compared to others left off and he is now considered an all star player. Magloire is not an all star level player either although he made it to the all star game one year.

You forgot to mention Manu PLAYED like an all star in the 2005 playoffs, something Magloire never did. Actually most players get worse in the playoffs, Manu played A LOT better than his regular season. Remember?

romain.star
02-03-2007, 01:25 PM
If you call manu magloire then you've never seen him playin during playoff or with Argentina. Manu is an allstar, no doubt. The thing is you can"t build a winning team around him... just like Pippen with the Bulls or Bryant with the Lakers (so far)

Kermit
02-03-2007, 01:26 PM
manu would probably be an all-star on any team where he didn't have to defer to a superstar on a regular basis. in other words, if the offense continually ran through him.

djohn14
02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
:lol Penny is making a comeback. What about him? :lol