View Full Version : Texas Requires Cancer Vaccine for Girls

Pages : [1] 2

desflood
02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Texas Requires Cancer Vaccine for Girls

Feb 02 3:31 PM US/Eastern

By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON
Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN (AP) -- Gov. Rick Perry ordered Friday that schoolgirls in Texas must be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, making Texas the first state to require the shots.
The girls will have to get Merck & Co.'s new vaccine against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, that are responsible for most cases of cervical cancer.

Merck is bankrolling efforts to pass laws in state legislatures across the country mandating it Gardasil vaccine for girls as young as 11 or 12. It doubled its lobbying budget in Texas and has funneled money through Women in Government, an advocacy group made up of female state legislators around the country.

Details of the order were not immediately available, but the governor's office confirmed to The Associated Press that he was signing the order and he would comment Friday afternoon.

Perry has several ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company's three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, his former chief of staff. His current chief of staff's mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

Toomey was expected to be able to woo conservative legislators concerned about the requirement stepping on parent's rights and about signaling tacit approval of sexual activity to young girls. Delisi, as head of the House public health committee, which likely would have considered legislation filed by a Democratic member, also would have helped ease conservative opposition.

Perry also received $6,000 from Merck's political action committee during his re-election campaign.

It wasn't immediately clear how long the order would last and whether the legislation was still necessary. However it could have been difficult to muster support from lawmakers who champion abstinence education and parents' rights.

Perry, a conservative Christian who opposes abortion rights and stem- cell research using embryonic cells, counts on the religious right for his political base.

But he has said the cervical cancer vaccine is no different than the one that protects children against polio.

"If there are diseases in our society that are going to cost us large amounts of money, it just makes good economic sense, not to mention the health and well being of these individuals to have those vaccines available," he said.

Texas allows parents to opt out of inoculations by filing an affidavit stating that he or she objected to the vaccine for religious or philosophical reasons.

Even with such provisions, however, conservative groups say mandates take away parents' rights to be the primary medical decision maker for their children.

The federal government approved Gardasil in June, and a government advisory panel has recommended that all girls get the shots at 11 and 12, before they are likely to be sexually active.

The New Jersey-based drug company could generate billions in sales if Gardasil _ at $360 for the three-shot regimen _ were made mandatory across the country. Most insurance companies now cover the vaccine, which has been shown to have no serious side effects.

Merck spokeswoman Janet Skidmore would not say how much the company is spending on lobbyists or how much it has donated to Women in Government. Susan Crosby, the group's president, also declined to specify how much the drug company gave.

A top official from Merck's vaccine division sits on Women in Government's business council, and many of the bills around the country have been introduced by members of Women in Government.

clambake
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
This would scare the hell out of me.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 08:03 PM
More required vaccinations, free mercury and poison for everyone!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Let's make it mandatory to inject our kids with something they have no choice over--and all to the benefit of Merck and Co! What a great republican. I want to go out right now and vote republican, even though there are no elections right now! As long as he makes laws where our kid have to be injected with things, in order for his supporters to make millions of dollars-i'm happy!

Shelly
02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Well, if I had girls or was in that age range, they and I would both be getting this vaccine.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, as long as it protects our little girls. The fact that all the profits will go to one company that supports him deserves only a glance.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Bravo, Gov. Perry.

midgetonadonkey
02-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Why is there ball cancer vaccine? I want that shit.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Let's make it mandatory to inject our kids with something they have no choice over--and all to the benefit of Merck and Co! What a great republican. I want to go out right now and vote republican, even though there are no elections right now! As long as he makes laws where our kid have to be injected with things, in order for his supporters to make millions of dollars-i'm happy!

I don't give a rats ass if he makes enough money to buy a luxury penthouse in hell ... but I've heard good things about the vaccine and I'd rather have my daughter protected. And if it's mandatory, insurance will cover it or you can get it at the WIC clinic for $5.

Just like I would rather them not contract polio, hepatitis, mumps, measles & tetanus. But I guess I'm just not a super-cool, livin' on the edge kind of girl. God, it sucks to want your kids to be healthy. :depressed

Like you don't use any products whatsoever that people ultimately profit by from your purchases.

:rolleyes X 564654632135465. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't give a rats ass if he makes enough money to buy a luxury penthouse in hell ... but I've heard good things about the vaccine and I'd rather have my daughter protected. And if it's mandatory, insurance will cover it or you can get it at the WIC clinic for $5.

Just like I would rather them not contract polio, hepatitis, mumps, measles & tetanus. But I guess I'm just not a super-cool, livin' on the edge kind of girl. :depressed

Like you don't use any products whatsoever that people ultimately profit by from your purchases.

What she said.

johnsmith
02-02-2007, 08:55 PM
This would scare the hell out of me.

Why?

desflood
02-02-2007, 09:16 PM
We're now required to force something on our daughters (yes, I have one) that we don't know the long-term effects of yet. That's what's scary about it.

T Park
02-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Was there this kind of reaction when they did the polio vaccine?

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I wonder if Perry has to report his kickback amount on his 07 tax return

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Was there this kind of reaction when they did the polio vaccine?

Polio wasn't easily avoidable by abstinence, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost $300+

T Park
02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Polio wasn't easily avoidable by abstinence, and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost $300+

And if it's mandatory, insurance will cover it or you can get it at the WIC clinic for $5.

So is S Dub wrong?

I dunno, I think trust the woman on this one.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 09:42 PM

But not everyone is as fortunate as you to be able to remain abstinent well into their adult lives....or their entire life for that matter. :spin

And the vaccine won't cost $300 to get. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 09:43 PM
But not everyone is as fortunate as you to be able to remain abstinent well into their adult lives....or their entire life for that matter. :spin

http://www.edmunds.com/media/advice/specialreports/torch.my.ride.arson.for.hire/burning.car.500.jpg

Shelly
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure a married woman could get HPV...

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
So is S Dub wrong?

And who pays for WIC and insurance. The company is still getting $300+.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 09:45 PM
So is S Dub wrong?

If it's mandatory, it won't cost more than your copayment to the doctor...as all required vaccinations are covered as preventative treatment.

And you can get deeply-discounted vaccinations for your children if you don't have insurance at the WIC clinic...they run between $5-$20 each.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
And who pays for WIC and insurance. The company is still getting $300+.

My employer & I pay for my insurance, and WIC is government funded.

Who cares if the company gets paid if they put in all of the time & $$ in R&D to provide a vaccination that might save a female's health and/or fertility?

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM

And the vaccine won't cost $300 to get. :lol

I'm not debating promiscuity when it's a touchy subject for any school. I.E. schools don't give out condoms. I was just responding to TPark's saying that there was no uproar when polio vaccine came out. Polio in it's hayday was a whole lot easier to get than HPV, that you have to agree on.

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
My employer & I pay for my insurance, and WIC is government funded.

Who cares if the company gets paid if they put in all of the time & $$ in R&D to provide a vaccination that might save a female's health and/or fertility?

When the company backs the horse that wrote the bill questions must be raised. And from what I heared most insurances were starting to accept this anyway.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Apparently it's not that difficult to get HPV, either ... considering the staggaring number of cases of it. :fro

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Apparently it's not that difficult to get HPV, either ... considering the staggaring number of cases of it. :fro

Isn't it an STD?

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Yep. But it's an STD that's been determined to be the cause of 70% of the cases of cervical cancer. Something herpes can't boast of, that I'm aware of.

Bandit2981
02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I believe it stems from the herpes virus, but like SW said, there are a LOT of cases...I had never heard of it before, then I started hearing radio ads about the subject, and never realized how big a problem it was becoming. I agree with the point about long-term effects though, it would be awful to learn about something happening to these women 20+ years down the road because of it.

Shelly
02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
And men can be infected with HPV too.

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Yep. But it's an STD that's been determined to be the cause of 70% of the cases of cervical cancer. Something herpes can't boast of, that I'm aware of.

So, it is a little harder to get than polio.

Shelly
02-02-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:02 PM

Just like I would rather them not contract polio, hepatitis, mumps, measles & tetanus. But I guess I'm just not a super-cool, livin' on the edge kind of girl. God, it sucks to want your kids to be healthy. :depressed

You missed the point
a) I have a choice who i give my money to
b) i guess it deserves another roll eyes x 2302342432423 that none of you find it creepy or discomforting that a cocktail of substances is going to be forced into the veins of human beings and it is going to be processed by a single company...
what if a processing lab makes a mistake? What if they aren't totally complying with all regulations? Who gives a shit, they have no competition (for that particular cocktail)

you guys see the word "vaccine" and think its some kind of fairy that is going to weild its wand and make all the bad things go away but the fact is it is made by fellow humans and when a company has no competition for a particular product its only natural that the quality is not going to be top notch, compared to a scenario where they were forced to be 100% dead on bad asses by competition

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:06 PM
You also are talking as if a vaccine is 100% composed of anti-viral agents

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
AND its a fucking STD which makes it all the more laughable that we're giving the vaccine to children

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 10:09 PM
So you're not going to vaccinate your daughter?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:11 PM
I think vaccines under the sole control of a single company are a recipe for disaster in terms of quality control, especially when you realize how much of this they will be making.

30 seconds longer here, a drop more there, who gives a shit we have no competition and we have a deadline to meet

desflood
02-02-2007, 10:11 PM
You know how early kids have sex now? That part's not laughable at all.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 10:12 PM
you guys see the word "vaccine" and think its some kind of fairy that is going to weild its wand and make all the bad things go away but the fact is it is made by fellow humans and when a company has no competition for a particular product its only natural that the quality is not going to be top notch, compared to a scenario where they were forced to be 100% dead on bad asses by competition

Kind of like when you guys see the word "Republican", your eyes glaze over and you start foaming at the mouth, right? :lmao

So if I'm dying of cancer and only one company has come up with a cure that will save me, I should just tell them to fuck off because Can't Be Faded thinks I'd be getting bent-over by The Man?

Whatever, dude. Call me Guinea. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 10:12 PM
So you're going to home-school your children so they don't have to be given vaccines?

boutons_
02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
"polio vaccine"

a bad early batch killed almost 200 people and gave polio to a few 100 more. There were no mass communications then other than radio and newspapers, which were "read only". Sure, polio vaccine has been a huge success, but tell that to the families of the dead and paralyzed vaccine victims. you wanna go first?

There's much more info around now, including person-to-person "horizontally" rather than just send-down vertically from the media, and plenty of experience where bad products kill or sicken people. Medical errors kill 100K/year. Tainted food kills 5000, sickens 75 MILLION/year. Extreme reticence and skepticism is much more intelligent than trust. Look at the controversy around autism and mercury in vaccines, etc, etc.

Shelly
02-02-2007, 10:14 PM

I repeatedly tell my 14 year old that he better not be making me a grandmother any time in the near future.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 10:14 PM
"polio vaccine"

a bad early batch killed almost 200 people and gave polio to a few 100 more. There were no mass communications then other than radio and newspapers, which were "read only". Sure, polio vaccine has been a huge success, but tell that to the families of the dead and paralyzed vaccine victims. you wanna go first?

There's much more info around now, including person-to-person "horizontally" rather than just send-down vertically from the media, and plenty of experience where bad products kill or sicken people. Medical errors kill 100K/year. Tainted food kills 5000, sickens 75 MILLION/year. Extreme reticence and skepticism is much more intelligent than trust. Look at the controversy around autism and mercury in vaccines, etc, etc.

Just don't go to University Hospital when your daughter gets HPV and cervical cancer and be a drain on my tax dollars, okay?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Kind of like when you guys see the word "Republican", your eyes glaze over and you start foaming at the mouth, right? :lmao

So if I'm dying of cancer and only one company has come up with a cure that will save me, I should just tell them to fuck off because Can't Be Faded thinks I'd be getting bent-over by The Man?

Whatever, dude. Call me Guinea. :lol
See what i mean...you see the word vaccine, all of a sudden this is a cure for someone in the midst of cancer?

Okay, take me to this world of vaccine fairies, and I will be happy too.

Johnny_Blaze_47
See what i mean...you see the word vaccine, all of a sudden this is a cure for someone in the midst of cancer?

So what would you propose for these girls coming down with HPV and cervical cancer?

Cant_Be_Faded

If the unthinkable happens and I end up having kids one day I am pretty fucking confident I will be able to raise them in a way to prevent them from having sex at the age of 11

Shelly
02-02-2007, 10:16 PM
"polio vaccine"

And how many vaccinated kids don't have autisim?

SpursWoman
I repeatedly tell my 14 year old that he better not be making me a grandmother any time in the near future.

Yeah, and I just recently found out that my 11 year old daughter and the 14 year old boy down the street like each other. Great, huh?

desflood
If the unthinkable happens and I end up having kids one day I am pretty fucking confident I will be able to raise them in a way to prevent them from having sex at the age of 11
Yeah, good luck with that :lol

Rusty Shackleford
02-02-2007, 10:17 PM

A+ on the retard comment.

I wonder how many people in the history of planet Earth have said, "Well my kids won't smoke/fuck/drink/do stupid shit because I will raise them right"

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:18 PM
So what would you propose for these girls coming down with HPV and cervical cancer?

No Johnny, I would propose we let the glorious system of free enterprise hook these chicks up with a vaccine, instead of letting Mr. Republican give sole rights to a single company.

But overall I am against vaccines in general, and if I have kids they will take the ones that government forces them to take, just like any other person in this free country.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:19 PM

I wonder how many people in the history of planet Earth have said, "Well my kids won't smoke/fuck/drink/do stupid shit because I will raise them right"

Its funny because all you really have to do to prevent your kid from becoming what you see on tv is to keep them from watching tv

Shelly

And not that I would ever wish this, CBF, but God forbid your daughter was raped by someone who had this STD.

Johnny_Blaze_47
No Johnny, I would propose we let the glorious system of free enterprise hook these chicks up with a vaccine, instead of letting Mr. Republican give sole rights to a single company.

So if Chris Bell or Kinky signed this, it'd be okay.

But overall I am against vaccines in general, and if I have kids they will take the ones that government forces them to take, just like any other person in this free country.

But, but...Gov. Good Hair's donors are making money!

desflood
02-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Its funny because all you really have to do to prevent your kid from becoming what you see on tv is to keep them from watching tv
And keep them away from every other child who watches tv.

Shelly
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM

:lol

Before I became a parent, I would always say when I saw a kid misbaving or whatever, "My kid will NEVER do/act like that!"

I changed my tune real fast. Now I just laugh cuz BTDT.

Rusty Shackleford
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM
And keep them away from every other child who watches tv.

Ridiculous. Only a republican would take away those kind of freedoms.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Well naturally Shelly that would suck. And yes god forbid. But like i said, if i had a youngin, she'd take the vaccine like the government makes me, so its not like im starting a rebellion. But you better bet that I would tell the young girl that what was being injected into her veins was not a group of tiny magical creatures that prevent her from getting sick and will make all bad things go away.

Education is step one and me trying to talk to you will never work because you don't realize how easy it is to fuck up a vaccine, compounded by a single company with a monopoly, its a recipe for disaster.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Yep, in my happy fairy land, it's ridiculous to blow off a vaccine that can be extremely beneficial just because no one else has come up with it yet, because someone might be making a lot of money off of my good health. Those bastards.

Cant_Be_Faded
So if Chris Bell or Kinky signed this, it'd be okay.

But, but...Gov. Good Hair's donors are making money!

But chris bell would have never signed that johnny so your rhetorical question is meaningless, plus if a democrat ever did this i would feel the same way---your fucking assumptions make you look like such a jack ass

im not hardcore liberal im fucking against big brother, i dont konw how to put it simple to someone on such a different wave length

did i ever say i was going to start some kind of vaccine rebellion
in my opinion education is the first step to anything and i was just stating the opinion that 1) vaccines arent the magical savior you think they are and 2) any object produced by a monopoly is not going to be top quality and this applied to a pharmaceutical is like an extreme of that

"but but but
let me use my wit to reply to this one!! im witty!"
try to read mr editor

Johnny_Blaze_47
Well naturally Shelly that would suck. And yes god forbid. But like i said, if i had a youngin, she'd take the vaccine like the government makes me, so its not like im starting a rebellion. But you better bet that I would tell the young girl that what was being injected into her veins was not a group of tiny magical creatures that prevent her from getting sick and will make all bad things go away.

Education is step one and me trying to talk to you will never work because you don't realize how easy it is to fuck up a vaccine, compounded by a single company with a monopoly, its a recipe for disaster.

Well, but nobody's saying it's some magic cure. They're saying it greatly reduces the chances of girls getting sick.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:28 PM
But for 1 CBF to point out that vaccines are prone to being crap and like 5 other spurstalkers to talk to me as if im an idiot proves the point that me saying that some think its a "magical cure" is not far from the truth

they're drugs
they're made in labs
by humans
under supervision of humans
working for a company with no competition
if we all took a second to realize this maybe it wouldn't be so easy for Mr Republican to give this right to one company and everyone go to sleep thinking the vaccine fairy is going to solve their worries

i guess this is pointless, im out

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 10:30 PM
1) vaccines arent the magical savior you think they are and

I think you're wrong. :lol

My children have had, what? 20 shots each? And neither one of them, in ten whole years, has ever contracted what they were vaccinated for. Even chicken pox, and he's been exposed to them several times, even. :spin

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
I think you're wrong. :lol

My children have had, what? 20 shots each? And neither one of them, in ten whole years, has ever contracted what they were vaccinated for. Even chicken pox, and he's been exposed to them several times, even. :spin

Im not going to post on spurstalk what is inside a vaccine, if you don't believe vaccines are a magical cure, you'll look that up yourself. If you do believe so, then chances are you wont.

This whole ebb and flow is like a microcosm of any time someone like me posts about something and points out something wrong. You see me as Mr. Liberal just because i point out the wrongs of Mr Republican. You answer my quesitons with no intention on really giving what I say a critical consideration. Why does it have to be so god damn black and white?
Its hopeless.

desflood
02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Someone like you? Did I miss something, what makes you so special and different?

whottt
02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Not to ruin a good argument or anything...

Texas allows parents to opt out of inoculations by filing an affidavit stating that he or she objected to the vaccine for religious or philosophical reasons.

Actually CBF, you sound pretty conservative, about raising your daughter I mean. TV, friends, all that. Sounds way way over to the right actually. Could you pull that off even if you wanted too?

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 10:40 PM
So you're going to home-school your children so they don't have to be given vaccines?

It can be dinied for "religious" reasons

ploto
02-02-2007, 10:42 PM
This only protects against the 4 particular strains of HPV that are causative for cervical cancer. It does NOT protect against the other strains of HPV- like ones that can cause warts. Do NOT let yourself think it protects against all forms of HPV.

As for your chicken pox vaccine- you might want to check into a second one. Lots of kids are contracting it 10 years after the shot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Maybe you should start a revolution then, CBF, rather than just hope and pray somebody does it for you.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 10:46 PM
As for your chicken pox vaccine- you might want to check into a second one. Lots of kids are contracting it less than 10 years after the shot..

There's a second one? My daughter got chicken pox before she was old enough for the shot, but my son was able to get it ... and I didn't realize he needed a second one. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Someone like you? Did I miss something, what makes you so special and different?

Again, my point is proved.

I just mean someone who points out something wrong and is labelled as 'liberal' by this board.

Whottt, i dont konw if i am liberal or conservative but i know if i ever have children i would never ever let them watch television, i have decided that like years ago

Cant_Be_Faded
02-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Maybe you should start a revolution then, CBF, rather than just hope and pray somebody does it for you.
I can't because I obviously do a shitty job at getting my ideas out in a non threatening way, much less convincing people to change their minds about something.

Shelly
02-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Not even Sesame Street?

Never say never, CBF. I'm sure most of us thought that way once too. But damn if Sesame Street didn't give me some time to take a shower or just some 'me' time.

ploto
02-02-2007, 10:53 PM
A new recommendation for a chickenpox booster shot from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) should help to further decrease chickenpox infections.

The ACIP is now recommending that children get a second dose of the chickenpox vaccine when they are four to six years old. Older children and adults should also get a second dose.

This second dose has been showed to provide increased protection to vaccinated children.

As ACIP recommendations are generally accepted by the CDC, American Academy of Pediatrics, and American Academy of Family Physicians, you can look for this Varivax booster shot to soon become part of the routine childhood and adolescent immunization schedule.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizations/a/06_cpox_update.htm

Shelly
02-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I wish they had this vaccine when I was a kid. I got chicken pox when I was 22 and it was NOT fun.

Trainwreck2100
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Not even Sesame Street?

Never say never, CBF. I'm sure most of us thought that way once too. But damn if Sesame Street didn't give me some time to take a shower or just some 'me' time.

I think he is refering to those shows where the young girls do stupid shit, realease an album, then become a super slut before the age of 17. Most shows have no educational value whatsoever, and pretty much glorify materialism. At least the shows in our time had PSAs

ploto
02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
More info for those who care:

Apparently the AAP added the recommendation just last month.

SpursWoman
02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I can't because I obviously do a shitty job at getting my ideas out in a non threatening way, much less convincing people to change their minds about something.

Well, you can start by going back and reading your initial post in this thread ... and see if you can point out where it all went wrong.

Hint: Super-exaggerated sarcasm with a wickedly bitter inflection will do a pretty good job of putting people on the defensive and make them see you as irrational, regardless of whether you are or not...or if what you were trying to say would have actually initiated a really good discussion if you'd put it out there a little more *eloquently*. Apparently this is something boutons hasn't figured out quite yet, either. :cooldevil

Shelly
02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I think he is refering to those shows where the young girls do stupid shit, realease an album, then become a super slut before the age of 17. Most shows have no educational value whatsoever, and pretty much glorify materialism. At least the shows in our time had PSAs

Depends what shows you let your kids watch.

My kids watch tv all the time...as well as getting plenty of outside time, and they know that if they want something, they have to buy it with their own money. But I'm not one to spoil my kids.

desflood
02-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Again, my point is proved.

I just mean someone who points out something wrong and is labelled as 'liberal' by this board.
I don't really see your point as political, one way or the other. I do agree with you the whole thing is generally wrong, but pointing it out definitely wouldn't have labeled you as a liberal if you hadn't pushed the "Republican governor" button in the beginning.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I stopped reading this back on page one, but I'll say this.

Those complaining about this probably have no idea how big of a problem HPV is and how easily it is transmitted. Condoms don't do shit against this virus.

I think CBF just likes to go against the grain as much as possible.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 11:44 PM
I stopped reading this back on page one, but I'll say this.

Those complaining about this probably have no idea how big of a problem HPV is and how easily it is transmitted. Condoms don't do shit against this virus.

I think CBF just likes to go against the grain as much as possible.

You know, if the Muslim terrorists on 24 unleashed a wave of HPV on the population, that would be kind of funny.

T Park
02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
How do you know white terrorists arent unleshing it and THATS the problem Jb!!! :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2007, 11:56 PM
How do you know white terrorists arent unleshing it and THATS the problem Jb!!! :lol

Because 24 teaches us that Muslims can only be terrorists and white people only want to squash their civil rights, remember.

AlamoSpursFan
02-03-2007, 12:03 AM
I quit reading on page one also. SW said exactly what I was thinking.

Little ASF will definitely be getting this shot.

T Park
02-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Because 24 teaches us that Muslims can only be terrorists and white people only want to squash their civil rights, remember

24 makes more sense than CBF does 99% of the time.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 12:58 AM
further medicating this nation. won't you people do more than just go to a doctor and say "ok" to something that'll either give you the runs, lose your eyesight, give you heartburn or some other un-natural side effect. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. YOU ARE YOUR BROTHER'S KEEPER.

braeden0613
02-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Im sorry but i dont think any vaccine should be forced on anyone. I dont care if it makes you live forever, if they dont want it, dont make them. Not to mention that no one knows the long term side effects. Just another example of Big Brother telling you what's best. This is a "free" country right?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 04:40 AM
further medicating this nation. won't you people do more than just go to a doctor and say "ok" to something that'll either give you the runs, lose your eyesight, give you heartburn or some other un-natural side effect. TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. YOU ARE YOUR BROTHER'S KEEPER.A vaccine is not medicating anything.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Im sorry but i dont think any vaccine should be forced on anyone. I dont care if it makes you live forever, if they dont want it, dont make them. Not to mention that no one knows the long term side effects. Just another example of Big Brother telling you what's best. This is a "free" country right?It isn't forced on anyone - you can opt out.

I feel an education should be forced on all of you so that there would be a chance you would know what you were talking about.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 04:43 AM
BTW, I can promise you that a very large percentage of the men in this thread are carrying the HPV virus. This thing is very very widespread.

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2007, 04:56 AM
BTW, I can promise you that a very large percentage of the men in this thread are carrying the HPV virus. This thing is very very widespread.

I;m not

AFE7FATMAN
02-03-2007, 05:15 AM
Merck and its Vioxx was a big disaster, especially since Merck lied about the clinical trials to get that approved. And although Vioxx was recalled many have died and doctors have stated that it will be 10 years after those who took Vioxx would be clear of deaths and heart attacks.

The fact that this is a mandatory it takes away the financial liability of Merck and no one can sue if they are lying about their clinical trials again.....

Not to mention it is a parents decision not the government...

I've done research on HPV, and the data on it has changed a lot over the years. At one point, they were saying that it was incurable. Now, they say it goes away on its own.

I refuse to allow a government to administer a vaccine for a virus that is still being studied.

How do they know the vaccine will work? What side effects will it have?

These are questions that I don't believe have been sufficiently answered enough to allow our government to administer this shot. If parents want to have their daughters vaccinated, then they have that right.

Rick Perry does not have the right to tell me it's mandatory. This isn't like other communicable viruses, like mumps or measles that are spread through the air and can harm anyone around you.

That is why those vaccines are required for school age children. This vaccine does not fall into that category and Perry has overstepped his bounds as governor of my state.

I think I'll have to go back over our constitution, we do still have one don't we?

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Merck and its Vioxx was a big disaster, especially since Merck lied about the clinical trials to get that approved. And although Vioxx was recalled many have died and doctors have stated that it will be 10 years after those who took Vioxx would be clear of deaths and heart attacks.

The fact that this is a mandatory it takes away the financial liability of Merck and no one can sue if they are lying about their clinical trials again.....

Not to mention it is a parents decision not the government...

I've done research on HPV, and the data on it has changed a lot over the years. At one point, they were saying that it was incurable. Now, they say it goes away on its own.

I refuse to allow a government to administer a vaccine for a virus that is still being studied.

How do they know the vaccine will work? What side effects will it have?

These are questions that I don't believe have been sufficiently answered enough to allow our government to administer this shot. If parents want to have their daughters vaccinated, then they have that right.

Rick Perry does not have the right to tell me it's mandatory. This isn't like other communicable viruses, like mumps or measles that are spread through the air and can harm anyone around you.

That is why those vaccines are required for school age children. This vaccine does not fall into that category and Perry has overstepped his bounds as governor of my state.

I think I'll have to go back over our constitution, we do still have one don't we?

Did you read the part that it's not really mandatory? You just fill out/sign an affidavit saying that you don't want it and your daughter doesn't have to have it.

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2007, 05:17 AM
You can choose not to give it to you daughter for "religous" reasons, it's just a way for insurances/gov. to have to foot the bill.

Slomo
02-03-2007, 05:20 AM
I kinda see CBF's point, but that doesn't mean the point is valid. I promise you that a parent - even more a parent of a little girl - has a totally different POV on stuff like that.

Unlike some of you might think, parenting is not an exact science. Shit happens despite your best intentions or effort. So as a parent what your trying to do is to stack the deck in favour of your kid making it. Of course we don't know what the side effects will be yet, but you have to take a bet, look at the info and the odds and make a decision. At this point this vaccine seems to be the better option (look at opinions from all over the world, from doctors that have been much less influenced by the pharma lobby).

So when - if - you come to that conclusions all the politics associated with it become non issues. Actually the only issue I'm interested right now is how to make the vaccine as widely available possibly at no or low cost.

My daughter is 7 now and I'll be following this issue very carefully and if the info will be like this when she's 11 she'll be getting the vacine.

It doesn't mean I have given up on my plans to start building and electrified fence around the house next year or to stop the remodeling of my "future boyfriends meeting room" that we'll have an amazing display of high power guns right in the middle of it (with glossy pictures of me using them). I'm just stacking the decks...

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 05:21 AM

And in the meantime before it goes away (if it does), it causes cervical cancer.

AFE7FATMAN
02-03-2007, 05:34 AM

Bypassing the Legislature altogether,Perry, a conservative Christian who opposes abortion and stem-cell research using embryonic cells,Perry has ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company's three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, Perry's former chief of staff. His current chief of staff's mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.

The governor also received $6,000 from Merck's political action committee during his re-election campaign.

The order is effective until Perry or a successor changes it, and the Legislature has no authority to repeal it,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_he_me/cervical_cancer

I know if my grand-daughter was a few years older, I would appear with my
son & daughter-in law and the waiver and make dam sure the nurse and principal knew of my objections.
I would also have them acknowledge reciept of my request for waiver.

This is just another case of one jackass politican paying off his political supporters :madrun

He's circumventing the will of the people," said Dawn Richardson, president of Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education, a citizens group that fought for the right to opt out of other vaccine requirements. "There are bills filed. There's no emergency except in the boardrooms of Merck, where this is failing to gain the support that they had expected."

It puts on parents who allready have enough to deal with. Also, Merck and Co. is not on the top of the good list with the public after how they pushed their last failed drug on the public that is still tied up with numerous law suits. Maybe this is how Merck plans to get back on top. Also, this is a new drug that has little data as to the long term side effects caused by it.

It must be given before a girl become sexually active. From what I have seen
there is no sure fire stats that this will work, except from stats from Merck :dramaquee

ChumpDumper
02-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Why are so many people pro-cancer?

Slomo
02-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Why are so many people pro-cancer?Because they think it won't happen to them...

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Because they think it won't happen to them...

I'm pretty sure I won't get cervical cancer

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 06:21 AM
The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2007, about 11,150 cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed in the United States. About 3,670 women will die from cervical cancer in the United States during 2007.

Almost all (>99 percent) cervical cancers are related to HPV. Of these, about 70 percent are caused by HPV types 16 or 18.

This vaccine protects against these 2 types of HPV that cause 70% of all cervical cancers (HPV 16 and 18) and 2 types of HPV that cause 90% of all genital warts (HPV 6 and 11).

http://www.cancer.org/

Though I can understand some parents hesitancy about any vaccine, this vaccine protects against HPV 16 and 18 - which cause 70% of nearly all cervical cancers.

By the way AFE7FATMAN, 90% of HPV goes away within two years on it's own like you said. But those aren't the strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer. The chronic strains (HPV-16, HPV-18, HPV-31, HPV -35, HPV-39, HPV-45, HPV-51, HPV-52, and HPV-58) are the ones that are that problem.

BIG IRISH
02-03-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm pretty sure I won't get cervical cancer
Get the shot, I understand that Mereck states that it also prevents males from getting genital warts.

I am buying stock in Merck. The amount of money spent on the vaccine in Texas alone will guarantee amazing profits for Merck. Consider there are over 450,000 students in Texas public schools at $360 to $600 dollar per treatment and an additional 29 million to cover low income and medicaid recipients Merck is the goose that laid the golden egg and Governor Perry is making sure we feed this goose.

I went to Merck?s web site. According to Merck, Gardasil only helps protect against Human Papillomavirus (HPV).
There are more than 100 HPV types of which Gardasil only helps to protect against 4 types.

These 4 types of HPV cause approximately 70% of cervical cancers. Gardasil does not protect against the remaining more than 96 types of HPV?s.

Gardasil will not protect against HPV types which you have already been exposed to.

With over 20 million people already infected with the virus Gardasil will be of NO BENEFIT. Why should it according to Merck for most infected people the virus goes away on it?s own.

When the virus does not go away it could develop into cervical cancer or genital warts. Of course as Merck?s web site explains Gardasil may not fully protect everyone who gets the vaccine.

Merck advises that with Gardasil the possible side effects range from pain, swelling and redness at the injection site, fever, nausea, dizziness and difficulty breathing and can not be administered to pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant.

Seems like paying a lot of money to protect a small portion of the public with a drug that may or may not work against a small percentage of the virus that in most cases will go away.

I'm against the ideal of rushing to administer a questionable treatment on my children without knowing the possible long range effects of this drug.

As an investor I'm jumping of the Perry bandwagon and joining his profiteering. With the money Perry is forcing Texan's to pay Merck I should be able to retire a whole lot sooner than planned

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh, I guess I wasn't totally right .... :spin

Perry also directed state health authorities to make the vaccine available free to girls 9 to 18 who are uninsured or whose insurance does not cover vaccines. In addition, he ordered that Medicaid offer Gardasil to women ages 19 to 21.

link (http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/texas-requires-anti-cancer-vaccine-for/20070202172109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001)

Merck advises that with Gardasil the possible side effects range from pain, swelling and redness at the injection site, fever, nausea, dizziness and difficulty breathing and can not be administered to pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant.

That's pretty much the case with all vaccines ... that's why the doctor will usually give them or recommend you give them Tylenol or the like along with them.

I still will never understand why people get so enraged about other people making money, especially if the service or product they are offering have potentially huge benefits. Especially if there's an opt-out clause attached to it.

There are health risks with any type of medication you take, FDA approved or what you found at GNC. I'd reckon that the drugs given for cancer would be a lot more potentially devastating to your quality of life than would a vaccine, and worth the risk, IMO.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-03-2007, 10:59 AM
So CBF, if you're against Big Brother so much (and not because it's a Tahoe-drivin', flag-wavin' Murrican in the governor's office), why do you just accept the vaccines the law requires in "this free country"?

Why are you going to have your children get the vaccinations?

boutons_
02-03-2007, 11:08 AM
What's the probability of getting cervical cancer?

11,150 cases/year in 150M women = 7.4 E -5 = .000074 probability of a female being diagnosed with cervcal cancer.

How many of those 11,150 cases have been proven to have been caused by HPV? ie, can you get cervical cancer without HPV? If you can, then the vaccine is useless for those cases (but not for $Merck).

How many of these (perhaps sexually over-active young women) :

drink while driving and/or ride with a driver who does ?

and/or

smoke 1+ packs of cigarettes/day (to lose weight) ?

and/or

have unprotected, STD-risky sex?

How much has/does/will Merck donate to Perry's and TX Repug political coffers?

( did you really think a TX Repug would implement a mandatory (health) policy that enriches a campaign donor by 100s of $Ms (with no marketing costs) without some payback for himself? What's the probability of TX Repugs benefiting from this policy vs the probability of benefit to women? )

Anybody who gets expensive, brand-new (no long term studies) shit injected into their bodies when the primary beneficiaries are Repugs and big Pharma is naive.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 12:12 PM
How many of those 11,150 cases have been proven to have been caused by HPV? ie, can you get cervical cancer without HPV? If you can, then the vaccine is useless for those cases (but not for $Merck).

According to the American Cancer Society, 99% of all cervical cancer is caused by HPV.

This vaccine works against 70% of that 99%.

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 12:13 PM
^ boutons is right,

.000074 probability of a female being diagnosed with cervcal cancer.and thats still not even hpb

spurswoman would take any drug endorsed by Rick Perry because they want healthy children? I just dont get it

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
honestly timvp has a better chance of his chode exploding

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
This has been out on the market for about 5 years. I remember vioxx being the wonder drug too. I'd rather them give it more time before they make it mandatory.

It's not exactly mandatory. Parents just sign a waiver and their daughters don't have to have it.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 12:24 PM
As for the people going crazy about Merck, the vaccine has also been developed by GlaxoSmithKline (as Cervarix), so it Merck won't have a monopoly on it soon.

whottt
02-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Not thatI want to get into this...but I just find it kind of funny how it's mainly the ones not at risk of getting cervical cancer telling the ones at risk that they don't need the shot.

Men can get this stuff but it's no worse than a mild case of crabs unless you are doing really destructive stuff to your body. And if you are cut the slight risk of penile cancer(god forbid) is non-existent.

Women OTOH can get die from it and this shot decreases that chance...

I dated a woman whose gynecologist told her she might have cervical cancer, and they had to cut a sample off her cervix...Boom, freaked out about it for 2 weeks...

Doctor told her about how easiliy women can contract HPV...she was instantaneously in favor of this shot.

Scare tactics? Maybe...but I think women generally are less likely to fuck around with stuff like this, that's probably one of the reasons they outlive men.

And doctors generally aren't too fond of malpractice suits...so I don't think they would be supporting it if there were apparent hazzards.

In any case, you can opt out of getting this for your kids.

BTW, I do agree with CBF's free enterprise points...nothing better than companies competing to make you healthy.

I don't think anything that can save your live should be protected by patents and exclusive rights or be monopolized by one company.

Ironically most of CBF's stance appeared to be quite conservative to me...other than obvious distrust of the government, which is generally considered a leftwing mindset...but it's also an extreme right wing mindset as well.

T Park
02-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Perry also directed state health authorities to make the vaccine available free to girls 9 to 18 who are uninsured or whose insurance does not cover vaccines. In addition, he ordered that Medicaid offer Gardasil to women ages 19 to 21.

Free

What happened to it causing 300 dollars... :lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 01:01 PM
A vaccine is not medicating anything.

tomato. tomato
potato. potato

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Free

What happened to it causing 300 dollars... :lmao

Just because the parents don't have to pay anything just means it's free for the parents that doesn't mean that the bill doesn't get paid.

Spurminator
02-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Boutons, Mookie, et al... Would it change your mind to know that many hardcore evangelicals are against this vaccine as well?

(How different would this thread be if Oregon had been the first state to make the vaccine mandatory?)

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 01:58 PM
spurswoman would take any drug endorsed by Rick Perry because they want healthy children? I just dont get it

No, I would take a drug that is FDA approved and is reasonably proven to be safe and prevent a disease that could kill me or at the very least destroy my fertility. I don't live my life around what political affiliation people are or how much more money they make than I do...I really don't give a shit.

I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face, either.

boutons_
02-03-2007, 02:11 PM
"hardcore evangelicals are against this vaccine"

The enemies of my enemies are not my friends.

The evangelicals are against it very probably because it makes promiscuity safer.

Pretty much the same reasoning which pits "religious" nutters against passing out condoms in Africa to slow down AIDS and against any kind of birth control except abstinence, as if the some prudish prunes' beliefs were going to get Africans and teens to stop fucking.

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2007, 02:11 PM
No, I would take a drug that is FDA approved and is reasonably proven to be safe and prevent a disease that could kill me or at the very least destroy my fertility...I don't live my life around what political affiliation people are...I really don't give a shit.

I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face, either.

Vioxx was FDA approved and thanks to that little pill we have a "head of mascot operations"

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Vioxx was FDA approved and thanks to that little pill we have a "head of mascot operations"

Right, and my mother cried the day they pulled it from the shelves because it was the only thing she'd ever taken that made it possible for her to walk without excruciating pain. It was worth it for her at the time...but everything you put in your mouth has some kind of risk. For every one bad one, there's probably 100 good ones. Maybe what has no affect on one person will be deadly for another. Who will ever know with 100% certainty that anything will be completely safe? It's all a crap shoot.

If you don't want to take the risk, then don't. The same option is available here.

Lady Marmalade
02-03-2007, 02:20 PM
This thread is wak. Most of the guys in the thread are going on and on and do not know the facts. But I think it's good. I also like you can choose to not have your child get the vaccine.

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Right, and my mother cried the day they pulled it from the shelves because it was the only thing she'd ever taken that made it possible for her to walk without excruciating pain. It was worth it for her at the time...but everything you put in your mouth has some kind of risk. For every one bad one, there's probably 100 good ones. Maybe what has no affect on one person will be deadly for another. Who will ever know with 100% certainty that anything will be completely safe? It's all a crap shoot.

If you don't want to take the risk, then don't. The same option is available here.

Let's say 5 years from now this little wonder vaccine suddenly gets pulled from the market, so glad people are willing to risk their daughter's heath on a "crap shoot"

Jekka
02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
What's the probability of getting cervical cancer?

11,150 cases/year in 150M women = 7.4 E -5 = .000074 probability of a female being diagnosed with cervcal cancer.

There is something wrong with your statistics if I don't personally know thousands of people and yet know several women who have dealt with cervical cancer or precancerous cells (that still require treatment). One thing that also does not factor into the equation is the number of women that have cervical cancer/pre-cancerous cells and/or genital warts who either do not know it or choose to ignore it. There are a lot of women in the latter category who either contract these diseases young and do not want to seek out treatment for fear of their parents finding out, or women who are not minors but do not have the means (finances/insurane/whatever) to fix the problem.

I think it's great that HPV awareness is finally becoming a reality - I know women that have suffered with this disease and not even known that it existed when they were diagnosed. It's not usually a fatal virus to get, but that doesn't mean that it isn't potentially painful, expensive, and emotionally taxing.

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Let's say 5 years from now this little wonder vaccine suddenly gets pulled from the market, so glad people are willing to risk their daughter's heath on a "crap shoot"

Getting in the car and driving down the road is a crap shoot, too, I mean, I've been driving for 20 years and have made it through okay ... but who is to say the very next time I get in my truck that it won't be the last?

Although I'm so glad you seem to be so concerned about everyone else's daughters. :)

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 02:37 PM

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
There is something wrong with your statistics if I don't personally know thousands of people and yet know several women who have dealt with cervical cancer or precancerous cells (that still require treatment).

Even more odd, because I know a few also ... and I'd be willing to bet they aren't the same people you know.

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I agree with a lot of people on a lot of shit, Im against hate speech legislation/fairness doctorine and I think the US should get out of the UN. Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul are people that I admire. I just dont think this vaccine and MOST vaccines are good for anyone

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I just dont thing this vaccine is good for anyone

How come?

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 02:46 PM
they contain mercury and make people sick, there are many many stories from around the world in which governments have experimented and poisened their own with "vaccines", plus its not proven to work and its long term effects are unknown

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 02:55 PM
they contain mercury and make people sick, there are many many stories from around the world in which governments have experimented and poisened their own with "vaccines", plus its not proven to work and its long term effects are unknown

There is no thimerosal or mercury in the HPV vaccine.

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Fair enough ... then don't get it.

Here's yet another story about vaccinations to add to your repertoire:

When I was 5 ... waaaaaay back in 1976, we moved to Kenya where we were supposed to live for 2 years because of my dad's job. I don't know what it's like to go to a foreign country now, but way back then we had to get probably 20 different vaccinations before we could go. Another one we had to take by pill (not by shot) once a week or something for our entire stay there was for malaria. My older sister who was 15 at the time, the free-spirited hippie...refused to take it. She'd take every other freaking kind of drug available but that. Well, for her efforts she ended up contracting malaria and was deathly ill for several months. And while she was in the house, as contagious as it is, none of us (who took the vaccine) ever got it. The doctors are strongly convinced that the malaria may have caused the weakening of her heart, and she passed away a couple of weeks after her "recovery".

So, yeah, I support vaccinations. Most emphatically.

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 03:08 PM
There is no thimerosal or mercury in the HPV vaccine.I don't trust that, thats just me i guess, but look at the history of governments and drug companies and mercury levels. They have never done anything to earn anyones trust. yeah naturally ive taken vaccines and again its not mandatory, but do you think theyll make it less mandatory in the future??, how long will we have it if it is proven unsafe one day? is this cancer vaccine ever going away?, no its here from now on. are other states going to do the same thing. yes they are. It comes and some of yall welcome it in the name of children and health

whottt
02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I agree with a lot of people on a lot of shit, Im against hate speech legislation/fairness doctorine and I think the US should get out of the UN. Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul are people that I admire. I just dont think this vaccine and MOST vaccines are good for anyone

LMAO...that's pretty funny.

Seriously though...your boy CBF stopped just short of saying he was going ban his daughter from wearing pants and pre-arranging her marriage.

He was espousing strict control over what she watches and who and when she dates, he was championing abstienence, free enterprise, free market, reduced govt intrusion, isolationism, even a bit of misogny, the basic pillars of conservatism and capitalism ...it was like he turned into Bill O'Reilly right before our eyes.

whottt
02-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Let's give it the real test...

CBF, if someone rapes your daughter inspite of your best laid plans, and gives her HPV, among other things...what will you do to the guy should you get your hands on him?

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 05:24 PM
CBF, if someone rapes your daughter inspite of your best laid plans, and gives her HPV, among other things...what will you do to the guy should you get your hands on him?

Give him the death penalty, of course. :lol

Shelly
02-03-2007, 05:27 PM
SW, sorry to hear about your sister :(

ChumpDumper
02-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Go cancer!

BgT
02-03-2007, 05:33 PM
AUSTIN (AP) -- Gov. Rick Perry ordered Friday that schoolgirls in Texas must be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, making Texas the first state to require the shots.
It's being done as a free service in some European countries, too, while others are deciding about making it completely free at the moment.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm this fucking close to putting Mookie on ignore. I'm tired of his idiotic ramblings that are based off never never land thinking. It is so damn frustrating to see a rational explanation by Jess on why the numbers are low and to have him follow up with a post that is nothing ore than .007 as if those .007 don't have lives that can be saved by this vaccine.

If Mookie doesn't want to take this, or if he doesn't want any in his care to take it, then so be it but I don't understand his mocking of something that can help eliminate a threat to women. It doesn't make any god damn sense to me. And I don't give a shit if someone gets rich over it, because someone SHOULD get rich from it. You can point at Vioxx but there are a ton of drugs that save or help people out there today. I'd be the first to say that this country is over medicated but a vaccination is diferent.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 06:19 PM
The best reason for making this "mandatory" is to give free access to it for many people. Thats a hell of a liberal thing to do for our Republican governor.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-03-2007, 07:01 PM
but I don't understand his mocking of something that can help eliminate a threat to women.

Message board activism.

mookie2001
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
how am I mocking manny? you got the number wrong too, just because jekka knows women who have had cervical cancer it offends you somehow that I question vaccines?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Let's give it the real test...

alright alright, if i had a daughter yes i would be sad if she got raped
but i would be alot sadder if she had got raped and had contracted HPV

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 07:42 PM
there is no malaria vaccine. you were on a prophylactic

That's just semantics ... a drug to prevent something is a drug to prevent something ... it had to be ingested into the body and bloodstream to be effective. Because walking around with big body-rubbers on wasn't very convenient. :drunk

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd be the first to say that this country is over medicated but a vaccination is diferent.that makes as much sense as being almost pregnant. they're the same if you don't split too many hairs.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I was trying to cut and paste something, but the links were acting right.

http://evilslutopia.blogspot.com/2007/01/gardasil.html

This should put out some fires here and start some more.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
that makes as much sense as being almost pregnant. they're the same if you don't split too many hairs.Do you even understand how vaccines work?

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Damn, this just gets better and better.

------------------------------------------------

Vaccine center issues warning
By Gregory Lopes
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 3, 2007

The National Vaccine Information Center yesterday warned state officials to investigate the safety of a breakthrough cancer vaccine as Texas became the first state to make the vaccine mandatory for school-age girls.

Negative side effects of Gardasil, a new Merck vaccine to prevent the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, are being reported in the District of Columbia and 20 states, including Virginia. The reactions range from loss of consciousness to seizures.

“Young girls are experiencing severe headaches, dizziness, temporary loss of vision and some girls have lost consciousness during what appear to be seizures,” said Vicky Debold, health policy analyst for the National Vaccine Information Center, a nonprofit watchdog organization that was created in the early 1980s to prevent vaccine injuries.

Following federal approval of the vaccine in July 2006, a storm of legislation was introduced across the nation that would make the vaccine mandatory in schools. The District and Virginia are part of a group of at least 17 states considering such legislation. A measure had been introduced in Maryland, but it was shelved last week over concerns about the mandatory language in the bill.

Yesterday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry signed an order making Texas the first state to require the vaccine. Girls ages 11 and 12 would receive the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine before entering the sixth grade starting in September 2008.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I was trying to cut and paste something, but the links were acting right.

http://evilslutopia.blogspot.com/2007/01/gardasil.html

This should put out some fires here and start some more.

There's nothing on that blog that I hadn't already read when researching it.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Do you even understand how vaccines work?No. I didn't go to school and I don't pretend that I have. I'm imagining you have being that you asked that way. They both treat disease. Vaccine is a quick boost and medication is long term. Like I said, if you don't split too many hairs they are basically the same.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 09:54 PM
You have no idea how a vaccine works according to your last post. It has nothing to do with a quick boost. Go read about a vaccine then come back and try comparing it to medication. They are NO where near the same.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Damn, this just gets better and better.

------------------------------------------------

Vaccine center issues warning
By Gregory Lopes
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 3, 2007

The National Vaccine Information Center yesterday warned state officials to investigate the safety of a breakthrough cancer vaccine as Texas became the first state to make the vaccine mandatory for school-age girls.

Negative side effects of Gardasil, a new Merck vaccine to prevent the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, are being reported in the District of Columbia and 20 states, including Virginia. The reactions range from loss of consciousness to seizures.

The National Vaccine Information Center is a website that is against vaccinations. All of their data and reports are about the dangers of vaccines. As far as I can tell, the main thing that they do is refer you to lawyers so that you can sue about vaccines causing your health problems.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Start here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 09:57 PM
You have no idea how a vaccine works according to your last post. It has nothing to do with a quick boost. Go read about a vaccine then come back and try comparing it to medication. They are NO where near the same.yawn

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Start here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinedouble yawn.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 09:59 PM

The funniest thing about the people complaining about this is when they complain that this is a cash cow for Merck. So? Its like the other thread when people were talking about the organization behind the child predator stings and how they were going to make money about this.

How on Earth do people expect things to get done in a capitalistic society if there is no monetary reward at the end? Who gives a shit if someone makes money of off something? I mean really, wtf?

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
The National Vaccine Information Center is a website that is against vaccinations. All of their data and reports are about the dangers of vaccines. As far as I can tell, the main thing that they do is refer you to lawyers so that you can sue about vaccines causing your health problems.ok.......and.........

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Yawn all you want, it is just ridiculous when you compare vaccines with medication because they are preventative care not treatment. It is funny that your initial post was telling people to take care of their bodies but lamenting their use of vaccines.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 10:02 PM
ok.......and.........They lack credibility because they are pushing an angenda. 2 and 2?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm not counting on Rick Perry as the source of my information, are you?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Yawn all you want, it is just ridiculous when you compare vaccines with medication because they are preventative care not treatment. It is funny that your initial post was telling people to take care of their bodies but lamenting their use of vaccines.I'm deadset against medication and vaccination. I don't even take aspirin.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 10:16 PM
They lack credibility because they are pushing an angenda. 2 and 2?I could care less what they're for or against, but losing consciousness or having seizures after getting this vaccine is not safe to me.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Great. Then you've obviously highlighted yourself as a solid voice of reason. I suppose there could be great reasons behind your decision, but considering you have no idea what a vaccine is I'm pretty sure thats not the case.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Great. Then you've obviously highlighted yourself as a solid voice of reason. I suppose there could be great reasons behind your decision, but considering you have no idea what a vaccine is I'm pretty sure thats not the case.Wow. You are God.

Guru of Nothing
02-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm gonna have to rethink my attraction to older women now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-03-2007, 10:52 PM
ok.......and.........

Um, they give the general appearance that they might be biased, which is something you tend to avoid (or at least make very well-known) when quoting them for information.

Well, at least if you want your arguments or stories to be ethical.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Its like the other thread when people were talking about the organization behind the child predator stings and how they were going to make money about this.

How on Earth do people expect things to get done in a capitalistic society if there is no monetary reward at the end? Who gives a shit if someone makes money of off something? I mean really, wtf?

My complaint was more the ethical problems with paying sources, but that's just me.

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 11:38 PM
but considering you have no idea what a vaccine is I'm pretty sure thats not the case.

And probably not a lot about history, either. You know, when entire towns used to get wiped out by small pox. I wonder how many reported cases of that there are these days, post-vaccine? Some Big Pharma probably made a good mint on that one...those greedy bastards. Of course, if Viva went to school in the US, he's fully immunized...so he wouldn't have to worry about that, either. :toast

SpursWoman
02-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Another little real-life example of how vaccines are so bad .... my grandfather got the mumps when my mother was a little girl and it left him sterile, 95% deaf, and basically mentally retarded for the rest of his adult life. I'm sure a dose of that bad, poison laden vaccine wouldn't have helped him. :shootme

ploto
02-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I know many people whose lives are awful without Vioxx who would be more than willing to take the risk.

ploto
02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Why such uproar? Is it because this vaccine is to help a STD? Kids get tons and tons of vaccines now days. Why such hatred for this particular one?

sabar
02-04-2007, 02:48 AM
This vaccine has been in development and testing for over 10 years.

You know, it's risk vs. reward. The people arguing on the basis of politics are, as usual, worthless. But if you refuse to take a vaccine because there is a 1/20,000 of experiencing an adverse side effect, then that's just silly. Take a look a polio and smallpox.

Polio: 10% mortality rate, 40% of paralysis
Smallpox: 30% mortality rate

Smallpox killed 400 million people worldwide from 1900-2000, an average rate of 2 million people per year. In the 18th century when vaccination experiments first started getting underway, 8-10% of an entire regions population would be killed off when a smallpox epidemic came through. The first inocculations had a mortality rate of only 2%. 2% is less than 10%. As a side effect from mass vaccination throughout the next 200 years, smallpox has been virtually eradicated from the planet. The last naturally occuring case of smallpox occured in 1975.

2 million people a year do not die because of the mass inocculation of smallpox.

I'm sure this is where boutons_ comes in and says that HPV is very different from polio and smallpox -- and he has a point. Cervical cancer is no where near the massive epidemic that smallpox is. Estimates say that 70% of all women will contract the HPV virus in their lifetime, with a tiny fraction going on to develop the cancer. There are 490,000 cases of cervical cancer worldwide caused by HPV, with around 80,000 cases worldwide of other cancers caused by HPV.

Risk vs. reward. Because the actual HPV virus is so prevalent, I would suggest getting the vaccine. Because it is so widespread, the risk is real. You cannot realistically avoid the virus, all you can do is pray it doesn't develop into cancer. Because whether it develops into cancer depends on how fast the immune system removes it, children and the elderly would be at the highest risk, along with anyone that may have a weak immune system.

Keep an eye on the risks and decide if it's worth it yourself.
Take note though. A seizure or temporary blindness is just that, temporary. Developing cancer is a death sentence.

By the way, no scientific studies have actually linked mercury in vaccines to autism. If you're going to use scare tactics, use facts, not speculation.

desflood
02-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Developing cancer is a death sentence..
Form what I've heard, cervical cancer is 98% curable if detected early?

SpursWoman
02-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Form what I've heard, cervical cancer is 98% curable if detected early?

Yeah, but for all premenopausal women their fertility is rarely not destroyed in the treatment, and if not caught very early it can also result in having to have a hysterectomy, which causes it's own hormonal & physical problems you'd have to deal with the rest of your life.

Not a good deal at all. I think the vaccine would be worth the risk.

TenBuckTammy
02-04-2007, 10:02 AM
If this vaccine was around 12 years ago I'd a taken it.

Vendetta
02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Be careful.

johnsmith
02-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Good stuff, my favorite is all the childless men arguing against this.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-04-2007, 02:01 PM
but we will brand you as Mr Liberal if you dare try to make us think Rick Perry's Merck connections should be considered in any discussion whatsoever, plus what if your daughter was raped!

[/lame]

Cant_Be_Faded
02-04-2007, 02:08 PM
But then everyone will just see corso as an aging hippy liberal douche

whottt
02-04-2007, 02:52 PM
alright alright, if i had a daughter yes i would be sad if she got raped
but i would be alot sadder if she had got raped and had contracted HPV

That's what I wanted to know...thanks.

whottt
02-04-2007, 02:53 PM
but we will brand you as Mr Liberal if you dare try to make us think Rick Perry's Merck connections should be considered in any discussion whatsoever, plus what if your daughter was raped!

[/lame]

Seriouly, there was very little that was liberal about your stance...

Let me know when you are ready to buy that cabin in Idaho :tu

whottt
02-04-2007, 02:54 PM
But then everyone will just see corso as an aging hippy liberal douche

Corso's never struck me as an aging hippy liberal.

SpursWoman
02-04-2007, 03:07 PM

[/lame]

Considering they've been hyping this new vaccine in national women's magazines and health journals for several months (none of which are even remotely related to Rick Perry!) ... why would I care what his involvement in it is?

Because he's making it mandatory...but not really mandatory?

thispego
02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
:jack
Good stuff, my favorite is all the childless men arguing against this.

IceColdBrewski
02-04-2007, 04:30 PM
:lol @ people using this to take an anti-republican stance.

Anyone who has children knows that required vaccines are a fact of life.

Seriously. Some of you young libs need to stop over-analyzing shit, and just go back to doing what you do best. Playing hacky sack.

SpursWoman
02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
wow national!! WOMEN's MAGAZINES!!! :lol :lmao :lmao

Right ... you'll find lots of information in women's magazines. Like you know, new developments in women's health. Unlike in men's magazines, we actually read the articles. :spin They are good to let you know what's out there, letting you do further digging if you choose to.

My point was the knowledge of the vaccine is nothing new, and it was very much publicized to women long before Rick Perry had anything to do with it...it's not just a Texas issue. So his supporting it or making it mandatory or his relationship with Merck really has nothing to do with at least my interest in it ... I didn't really think that point was so obscure, sorry you missed it. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
02-04-2007, 08:16 PM
womens magazines are easily the most respected publications in american history

boutons_
02-04-2007, 08:25 PM
wimmen's mags, daytime (wimmen) TV :lol

SpursWoman
02-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Wimmen.....something boutons hasn't felt the inside of in 30 years. :lol.

The magazines don't get into all of the technical details, but they always have what's new in women's health so you know it's out there and can follow up on it if you want to, fucktards. You guys are a total waste of time.

Spurminator
02-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Don't you know that Women's Magazines are a front for Rick Perry/Tahoe propaganda? Corso?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-04-2007, 11:43 PM
really, the fact is that this vaccine is very very new... and it hasn't been possible to see what the long term effects of this vaccine are. and, it costs a shit load of money compared to other vaccinations, and it's a 3-series shot, and it's for sexually transmitted and rick perry has many many connections with merck. so it's fucking ridiculous that they don't at least wait the 4 years for a generic to come out, that will be cheaper. that is all.

Luckily for you, you don't have any women in your life that might want to be protected against HPV in the next four years.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2007, 01:03 AM

[/lame]Yeah, because you did some an eloquent job of making that your point. You're full of shit.

If you have a point, make it, but don't say shit like:

More required vaccinations, free mercury and poison for everyone!and then cry like a little bitch about how your being misrepresented.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2007, 03:01 AM
in australia they just approved this last year for all high school students...girls i meant.

so how come it took this schlong for the bush govt to approve this?

JoeChalupa
02-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Another money maker for the drug lords.

Ginofan
02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I was offered this vaccine at my last OBGYN appointment. The nurses gave me all sorts of literature on it and explained to me the risks and benefits. I agreed to it and just had to wait for an approval from my insurance provider.

The representative at the insurance company told the nurse that we didn't even need an approval because of the low cost of the drug. After that, I was injected. The way the vaccine process works (according to the nurses at my doctor's office) is that I take one shot, then 2 months later I'm supposed to get another, and then 4 months after the original shot I will take another. Done after that.

To be honest, I'm not scared of side affects, long term affects, etc. because at this point the good out-weighs the bad. And it's not like I'm out having tons of promiscuous sex, but I'd rather be protected against something like this, than not.

Samurai Jane
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
My sister is 28 years old and just recently had a radical hysterectomy to eliminate an aggressive form of cervical cancer that stemmed from HPV. Right now, she is undergoing chemotherapy and will spent the rest of her life using a catheter and can't have any more children.. oh and since she has pre-cancerous cells residing in her lymphnodes now, the chances of her relapsing and eventually dying at an early age from this cancer have multiplied. She was not "promiscuous" although she could have made some better choices in her life. All it takes is once and I've heard statistics that 80% of the population already have HPV. If this vaccine could have saved her all this heartache and illness, sign us up! If it will keep my baby niece from having to go through all this, sign them up too! If I ever have a daugther, sign her up too!

MannyIsGod
02-06-2007, 09:11 AM
It is mandatory in name only.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Basically making the vaccine 'mandatory' has 2 effects:

You forgot the part about making it more affordable for non Tahoe drivers.

Why do you hate Rick Perry so much that you want women to die of cancer?

Ginofan
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Corso brings up a good point:

Basically making the vaccine 'mandatory' has 2 effects:

1. The vaccine will be made more widely available so more women will have access to it.
2. Merck makes a gazillion dollars...How many girls in the state of Texas times $360?

Merck has created a new patient assistance program for vaccines. Through this new program, Merck will provide free vaccines to adults who are uninsured and who are unable to afford vaccines. Merck vaccines, including GARDASIL, will become available through this program in the third quarter of 2006.
Link (http://www.merck.com/newsroom/press_releases/product/2006_0608.html)

mookie2001
02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
do you think itll ever be less mandatory than it is now?, republicans Glen Heger and Dennis Bonnan have filed legislation against, PROPS, I dont know much about these dudes, Glen Hegar is an Aggy and represents Victoria Texas, could it actually be these guys are true conservatives?, amazing

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
They're just pandering to their sexophobic base.

mookie2001
02-06-2007, 02:27 PM
or "conserving" Texas' money

MannyIsGod
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Of course the convervatives are against it. They see this as a vaccine that allows sex. I'm cracking up at you proping an Aggie Republican who is legislating morality. First Mookie pimps censorship now he's proping morality being legislated as opposed to Rick Perry making his most liberal move of all time.

Wow. You guys are becoming so knee jerk its disgusting. I get it though, it is more important that Merck not make any money than women have a lower chance at cancer.

Melmart1
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/168/kanyebushwt6.jpg

MOOKIE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WOMEN!

mookie2001
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
so then quit being so liberal you leftist piece of shit

mookie2001
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
im fine being called liberal if a neocon is saying it. Among my conservative values are- I am for a STRICT constitutional government with limited federal government, tight fiscal conservation, I am against gun control in all forms, I am against fariness doctorine and hate speech laws. I think the US needs to get out the UN, I am against the north american union. these things are traditionally conservative values, but NOWadays, theyre considered by liberal, funny huh

MannyIsGod
02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
actually, they're traditionaly liberal, but ok.

johnsmith
02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
im fine being called liberal if a neocon is saying it. Among my conservative values are- I am for a STRICT constitutional government with limited federal government, tight fiscal conservation, I am against gun control in all forms, I am against fariness doctorine and hate speech laws. I think the US needs to get out the UN, I am against the north american union. these things are traditionally conservative values, but NOWadays, theyre considered by liberal, funny huh

I pray that all of those against this have a daughter at some point and she is sexually active at age 12............well, maybe not pray for it, but that would be some fun and ironic stuff.

Oh, and what the fuck does the above quote from Mookie have to do with this thread?

Extra Stout
02-06-2007, 05:22 PM
actually, they're traditionaly liberal, but ok.
Maybe you mean classically liberal.

Only the Christian Reconstructionists and the Marxists fall outside that umbrella, and they make what, 1% of the electorate combined?

Extra Stout
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
BTW, this thread convinces me that the anthrax scare back in 2001 was a conspiracy by Bayer to sell more Cipro.

ploto
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Actually, as a public health issue, males should get it too- to stop the spread of the virus.

MannyIsGod
02-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Actually, as a public health issue, males should get it too- to stop the spread of the virus.I agree completely with that.

boutons_
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Big Pharma makes $Bs in profits by convincing you to consume their $shit and keep on misbehaving so you need their $shit forever. And they will scare the shit out of you until they get you diagnosed as needing their shit. There is an epidemic of diagnoses, not an epidemic of diseases.

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2003/sep/vol49-sep-critical-1.asp

circumcision seems to reduce HPV/cervial cancer in monogamous women who don't have history of promiscuity. 1000s of years before modern science, Jews used common sense to require circumcision for health reasons. Similarly, they proscribe pork for health reasons.

But the BEHAVIOR of using (much cheaper) condoms are the best protection if the girl insists on getting fucked, not only against HPV but all other STD and pregnancy. But I guess the condom industry doesn't have as effective lobbyists as Big Pharma.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a lot of dumbasses in this thread who have never heard of Thalidomide CORSO

www.nosideeffects.trusteveryvaccine.org

thispego
02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I pray that all of those against this have a daughter at some point and she is sexually active at age 12............well, maybe not pray for it, but that would be some fun and ironic stuff.

Oh, and what the fuck does the above quote from Mookie have to do with this thread?
YOU are one of the dumbest pieces of shit on this board and I havent even read 10 posts of yours.
FIRST of all dont try to bring that weak ass childless men argument. As if not having children gives people a skewed view of reality?? PLEASE!! I mean it's funny that ANYONE would use that in any kind of argument to try and prove any point.
Secondly, there would be nothing ironic about your little scenario because not one person who is against this is arguing that the drug shouldnt be available or administered. you are so stupid it hurts me to respond to you

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
But the BEHAVIOR of using (much cheaper) condoms are the best protection if the girl insists on getting fucked, not only against HPV but all other STD and pregnancy. But I guess the condom industry doesn't have as effective lobbyists as Big Pharma.

How are you going to enforce mandatory condom wearing?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
It is mandatory in name only.

Isn't that exactly the point?

By attaching the word mandatory to this, this legislature is lumping HPV with rubella, mumps, whooping cough, etc.

There is no reason this needs to be a mandatory vaccine. None. Unless, of course, you own shares of Merck stock...

Simply, the ends do not justify the means.

thispego
02-06-2007, 08:04 PM
How are you going to enforce mandatory condom wearing?
how are they gonna enforce mandatory hpv vaccinations?

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
how are they gonna enforce mandatory hpv vaccinations?

Probably very loosely. I doubt it will be very difficult to "opt" out, even retroactively.

thispego
02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
but calling it mandatory is unnerving to some people. they hear that and they think they'll get in trouble if they dont get it done
WHY MAKE IT MANDATORY? this doesnt set of a red light for people?

02-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Why would the school systems need this to be a mandatory vaccine when there is a 0% chance of this being caught from someone with HPV inside the classroom/school?

Are 6th grade kids fucking inside the schools now? And unless this fucking is mandatory, I still see no reason why this vaccine MUST be administered by the school systems.

Isn't this a doctor/parent issue?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Why would the school systems need this to be a mandatory vaccine when there is a 0% chance of this being caught from someone with HPV inside the classroom/school?

Are 6th grade kids fucking inside the schools now?

Um, yes.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
WHY MAKE IT MANDATORY?

Because many parents are too stupid (or, to a lesser degree, uninformed) to do it voluntarily - Which is why a lot of things having to do with the wellbeing of kids are mandatory... such as school attendance and minimal level of cleanliness.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
It is ridiculous how many people think the vaccination being mandatory (in reality or in name) is no big deal. If it is mandatory in name, again, i'll repeat this question: why make it mandatory at all?

I will assume that no parent that posted in this thread truely wants their child to be sexually active at age 11, so why not lobby for better abstinence education, why do we have to be so god damn bullheaded on a cocktail injected into the human body?

This country has seen the effects of an injection that is not fully tested yet, but it still is tin foil material to talk about not swallowing this BS

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Because many parents are too stupid (or, to a lesser degree, uninformed) to do it voluntarily - Which is why a lot of things having to do with the wellbeing of kids are mandatory... such as school attendance and minimal level of cleanliness.
So the cure for stupidity is mandatory injections?
Is this the best cure or the only cure? Have you never read Brave New World? You're seriously saying that because a large segment of the population is uneducated and misinformed that it is up to the government to require things to be injected into their bodies

REQUIRED IN NAME ONLY of course

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
You're right I think we should spend the millions of dollars on HPV Awareness pamphlets that we can send to all of these lazy ass parents so they can throw them in the garbage.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
You're right I think we should spend the millions of dollars on HPV Awareness pamphlets that we can send to all of these lazy ass parents so they can throw them in the garbage.
So now spurminator thinks that the uneducated misinformed parents are all lazy too?

I am sensing a little, whats that word, oh yeah, bigotry in your words

02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
And it's a cancer vaccine in name only as well.

I wonder if the school systems would rush to adopt this if it was called what it really is; an STD vaccine.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Have you never read Brave New World?

Yes. That is a work of fiction.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
So now spurminator thinks that the uneducated misinformed parents are all lazy too?

Nope.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Yes. That is a work of fiction.

bigot

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:52 PM
And it's a cancer vaccine in name only as well.

I wonder if the school systems would rush to adopt this if it was called what it really is; an STD vaccine.

That's not a secret to anyone. Which is why it still surprises me that this thread has gone 10 pages with not a single objection from the Focus on the Family crowd... considering they account for much of the anti-vaccine side of the national debate.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-06-2007, 08:52 PM
It is ridiculous how many people think the vaccination being mandatory (in reality or in name) is no big deal. If it is mandatory in name, again, i'll repeat this question: why make it mandatory at all?

I will assume that no parent that posted in this thread truely wants their child to be sexually active at age 11, so why not lobby for better abstinence education, why do we have to be so god damn bullheaded on a cocktail injected into the human body?

This country has seen the effects of an injection that is not fully tested yet, but it still is tin foil material to talk about not swallowing this BS

First off, I would disagree that better abstinence education would be the key as we've all seen how well that's working, but I would agree to more sexual health education that covers the spectrum.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:53 PM
bigot

Scoreboard, you win.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 08:53 PM
lol @ CBF arguing for abstinence education.

You guys are morphing into jochejamm and you don't even know it.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 08:55 PM
First off, I would disagree that better abstinence education would be the key as we've all seen how well that's working, but I would agree to more sexual health education that covers the spectrum.

Well yeah naturally, i'd like the latter....but its also possible our current approach to abstinence education could be a little off key, why not push more money into psychologists research on how to improve it

Cant_Be_Faded
02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
lol @ CBF arguing for abstinence education.

You guys are morphing into jochejamm and you don't even know it.

LOL at your bigot ass saying

Then

My parents could have been labelled misinformed when I was growing up but if you called them lazy to my face I'd jack you upside the head with a fucking text book asshole

then you come to me with this 'oh you can't have conservative views' bull shit

your morphing into a fucking typical american bigot before my eyes

thispego
02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
well, these things have CLEAR benefits to the wellbeing of children.

what if a bill was passed that made for mandatory i.d. chip implants for all infants to protect against abduction.?

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
:rolleyes

There are a lot of lazy ass parents.

There are a lot of stupid parents.

There are a lot of uninformed parents.

You're reading too much into it.

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Do they? Moreso than not having HPV?

MannyIsGod
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM

CBF is all over the place. Its about Merck, Its about connections to Merck, Its about A Brave New World, its about other options, its about EVERYTHING.

I give up. The Victoria Posse is obviously correct. Peace.

MannyIsGod
02-06-2007, 09:06 PM

what if a bill was passed that made for mandatory i.d. chip implants for all infants to protect against abduction.?:lmao @ comparing a vaccine to implanted chips. Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Should I sig this?

I've never had a sig before.

I'd jack you upside the head with a fucking text book asshole

mookie2001
02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
this is like the 24 thread, similar conclusion, dam yall love vaccines

thispego
02-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Do they? Moreso than not having HPV?
yes, but listen, EVERYONE knows that bathing and going to school is good for you. rick perry and merck tell you hpv vaccines are good for you and that you HAVE to use them

Spurminator
dam yall love vaccines

Meh, they're pretty cool, but they're not near as badass as cervical cancer.

mookie2001
parents are too stupid (or, to a lesser degree, uninformed) to do it voluntarily - Which is why a lot of things having to do with the wellbeing of kids are mandatoryROFL

Spurminator
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
yes, but listen, EVERYONE knows that bathing and going to school is good for you.

Then why are they mandatory?

thispego
02-06-2007, 09:16 PM
:lmao @ comparing a vaccine to implanted chips. Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
whats so different? forget that its a vaccine and that i likened it to an id chip

it's people in authority telling us what we have to do and people blindly accepting.

thispego
02-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Then why are they mandatory?
because you'll stink or you'll fail...?