PDA

View Full Version : Utah (30-17) at Phoenix (37-9)

ducks
02-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Utah (30-17) at Phoenix (37-9)

Preview - Box Score - Recap

Game Info: 9:00 pm EST Sat Feb 3, 2007
TV: KJZZ, My45 Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets

The Phoenix Suns finally showed they can beat one of the Western Conference's top teams. Now they'd like to do it for a second consecutive game.

Though their franchise-record winning streak ended earlier this week, the Suns still have a lengthy streak at home on the line as they try to take advantage of Carlos Boozer's absence in a matchup with the Utah Jazz.

Phoenix (37-9) is only a half-game behind Dallas for the league's best record after beating San Antonio 103-87 on Thursday. It was the team's first game since having its record run of 17 straight wins snapped with a 121-112 loss to Minnesota on Monday.

"The playoffs are going to tell it all, and we know that," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're just trying to win as many games as we can to get the homecourt seed, and if we're good enough, we'll see in the playoffs."

ADVERTISEMENT

Before Thursday's victory, the Suns had been 0-6 against the other top teams in the West record-wise -- the Mavericks, Spurs, Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers.

Two of those losses came to Utah in November during Phoenix's 3-6 start. The team has since lost only three of 37 games.

"The team that played those guys in early November is not even close to being the same team today," D'Antoni said of his Suns, referring to a 111-106 overtime loss at San Antonio on Nov. 8.

That game marked the first start of the season for Amare Stoudemire, who missed most of last season following microfracture knee surgery. He had 24 points and a career-high 23 rebounds Thursday, hours after being selected as an All-Star reserve along with teammates Steve Nash and Shawn Marion.

A knee problem now has sidelined Boozer, who has missed the last two games and is expected to sit out at least a few more weeks with a hairline fracture. Utah's only All-Star selection, Boozer averaged 21.5 points and 14.0 rebounds in the two meetings with Phoenix.

The Jazz (30-17) handed the Suns one of their only three home losses all season, but Phoenix has won 19 of its last 20 home games. That run includes 10 wins in a row since a 144-139 overtime loss to Washington on Dec. 22.

Utah, meanwhile, overcame Boozer's absence to beat the Spurs 97-93 on Wednesday in its most recent outing.

"It was a must-win game for us, especially without Carlos," said Mehmet Okur, who had 31 points and 11 rebounds. "That's how we've got to play night in, night out. Without Boozer, everybody's got to step up."

In Boozer's absence, two of Utah's offseason acquisitions are being asked to step up. Rafael Araujo had seven points and five rebounds against San Antonio while playing aggressive defense on Tim Duncan, and rookie Paul Millsap had 15 points and eight boards after posting consecutive double-doubles earlier in the week.

"The encouraging thing was that Rafa played well and Millsap keeps getting better every day," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "That's a tremendous thing for this franchise."

Updated on Friday, Feb 2, 2007 2:21 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10
Utah 30-17 1st Northwest / 4th West 102.3 99.9 Road 13-11 Won 1 6-4
Phoenix 37-9 1st Pacific / 2nd West 111.4 102.4 Home 20-3 Won 1 9-1

Utah Notes
Feb 1 Utah grabbed 50 rebounds for the second time vs. San Antonio this season. That is the highest total the Spurs have allowed all season. ... In three games since Carlos Boozer went down, rookie F Paul Millsap is averaging 15.3 points and 12.6 rebounds per game. .. C Rafael Araujo, little-used since signing with the Jazz this offseason, had his best game in a Jazz uniform, registering seven points and five boards. ... F Andrei Kirilenko had nine points and eight rebounds but shot just 3-of-14 from the field. ... Coach Jerry Sloan, who missed Monday's game with the stomach flu, was back on the sidelines for the Jazz Wednesday night and said he was feeling better, but not 100 percent. ... The Jazz had lost four of their last five vs. the Spurs before Wednesday's win.

st 02-01-07 1:32 et

Phoenix Notes
Feb 2 For the second time in the last three years, the Phoenix Suns will have three players playing in the All-Star Game. G Steve Nash, F Shawn Marion and C Amare Stoudemire were all named as reserves. It is the fifth All-Star berth for Nash, fourth for Marion and second for Stoudemire. It is the third time In Suns' history they will have three players participating. The same trio played in the 2005 All-Star game in Denver, and in 1981, Walter Davis, Truck Robinson and Dennis Johnson were named to the team. Suns coach Mike D'Antoni will be the Western Conference coach. ... D'Antoni and Nash were named the NBA Western Conference coach and player of the month for January. D'Antoni led Phoenix to a 15-1 record, which ties the NBA record for January. It also was the most wins in any month for Phoenix. Nash won the award for the third time in his career with an averages of 18.0 points, 13.0 assists and a 54.5 shooting percentage in the 16 games. ... Stoudemire recorded his first 20-point, 20-rebound game Thursday with 24 points and a career-high 23 rebounds. It was his 24th double-double of the season. ... Nash registered his 10th consecutive double-double Thursday with 13 points and 11 assists.

st 02-02-07 2:48 et

AZLouis
02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
It would be easy to think that the Suns should do fine with Boozer not playing.

But the Jazz beat the Spurs without him and Okur seems to always play well against the Suns.

Should be a very good game. The Jazz are going to hit the boards hard and will try to slow the tempo.

Jerry Sloan for COY!

RS189
02-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Jerry Sloan for COY!

:clap

JMarkJohns
02-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Sloan should have around four of the awards as of now. It's amazing he still hasn't one.

ShackO
02-03-2007, 12:42 PM
lol........... He should have gotten one just for putting up w/ osterslop that long........ Most coaches would have went sprewell on his fat ass long ago..........

ShackO
02-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Will be a great game........................
The Suns are heavily favored..................

Xylus
02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't see the Suns losing this game. If they come out flat and let the Jazz hang with them all night, I'll be extremely disappointed.

A loss to the Jazz tonight would almost completely reverse the confidence booster that came with beating the Spurs.

Flopper
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Suns gonna win.

ponky
02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
i was looking forward to this game....like a month ago...no boozer, no win for the jazz, i don't care that they beat the spurs the other night on a btb for the spurs, the suns are not the spurs and are playing better basketball right now

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Smash the Jazz :smokin

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 05:13 PM
I can't see the Suns losing this game. If they come out flat and let the Jazz hang with them all night, I'll be extremely disappointed.

A loss to the Jazz tonight would almost completely reverse the confidence booster that came with beating the Spurs.

Thats why they win tonight.

mabber
02-03-2007, 05:56 PM

I think playing this Jazz team is good for teams like the Suns and Mavs. It will definitely be a physical game just cuz that's the way Utah plays and the Suns & Mavs (especially the Suns) are not entirely comfortable playing that way.

I would imagine that Sloan is gonna tell his team to try to make it a street fight early. He knows his only chance is to try to draw Phoenix into a "manly" type game. I don't see it working though as Nash just won't let that happen to them.

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 05:59 PM
With no Boozer Amare should have a big night scoring and rebounding.

mabber
02-03-2007, 06:03 PM
With no Boozer Amare should have a big night scoring and rebounding.

Think Amare's nads have popped back out yet?

Amarelooms
02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
If there is a God the Jazz will win....but I doubt it so we all know what that means....

loveThe23
02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
If there is a God the Jazz will win....but I doubt it so we all know what that means....

Who's next ? :lol

SAtown
02-03-2007, 11:08 PM
99-98 UTAH, 4:00 left in 4th.

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Shit! :bang

lurker
02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
:clap

dg7md
02-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Okur is clutch!!

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Why the hell is Diaw with the ball instead of Nash at the line?

Amarelooms
02-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Well folks that answers it...there is a God :elephant

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Oh well move on to the Nuggets.

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:33 PM
BTW my blanket response to everyone who starts bringing up the record against the other top West teams is the Miami Heat.

JMarkJohns
02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Well folks that answers it...there is a God :elephant

It answers it for the second time this week. First at Minnesota, and now.

Amarelooms, if you haven't converted yet, you'd best get to it. You've now had two signs...

As for the loss, sucks. Jazz always give Phoenix fits. At this point, there's no easy out for the top-seed in the second round. Utah is a handful for either Phoenix or Dallas. Moreso for Phoenix, however...

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:35 PM
It answers it for the second time this week. First at Minnesota, and now.

Amarelooms, if you haven't converted yet, you'd best get to it. You've now had two signs...

As for the loss, sucks. Jazz always give Phoenix fits. At this point, there's no easy out for the top-seed in the second round. Utah is a handful for either Phoenix or Dallas. Moreso for Phoenix, however...

But in a 7 game series with the Jazz I go with with Mavs or Suns over them.

JMarkJohns
02-03-2007, 11:40 PM
But in a 7 game series with the Jazz I go with with Mavs or Suns over them.

I don't like the Suns chance vs. the Jazz. They seem to have the blueprint down. Yes, all three losses have been close, so Phoenix is within a shot or two of winning, but the physical style with which they play hassles the Suns to the point of frustration and it's hard to play instinctively when you're busy thinking about what could come next. Plus, they rebound as good as anyone when healthy. For whatever reason, the Suns either don't get up for the Jazz, or Utah just has their number. Either way, I'd almost - and it's a very narrow almost - rather play San Antonio in the second round, as at least I know Phoenix will be up every game of the series. Plus, San Antonio hasn't the rebounding Utah does, so since rebounding is the Suns biggest weakness, it just makes that much more sense.

Bookit
02-03-2007, 11:44 PM
BTW my blanket response to everyone who starts bringing up the record against the other top West teams is the Miami Heat.

lol

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't like the Suns chance vs. the Jazz. They seem to have the blueprint down. Yes, all three losses have been close, so Phoenix is within a shot or two of winning, but the physical style with which they play hassles the Suns to the point of frustration and it's hard to play instinctively when you're busy thinking about what could come next. Plus, they rebound as good as anyone when healthy. For whatever reason, the Suns either don't get up for the Jazz, or Utah just has their number. Either way, I'd almost - and it's a very narrow almost - rather play San Antonio in the second round, as at least I know Phoenix will be up every game of the series. Plus, San Antonio hasn't the rebounding Utah does, so since rebounding is the Suns biggest weakness, it just makes that much more sense.

At least with a playoff series you have 7 games to make adjustments. Remember last year the Pistons had the Heat's # in the regular season. Your right though Utah will be tough out for the Suns. In the end all 3 losses have been close.

JMarkJohns
02-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Phil Jackson implied that D'Antoni didn't make many adjustments in the Lakers series. Essentually, he sticks with one game plan. Rather than changing it up, he just tries different players within the game plan. It'll be interesting to see. There's absolutely no gimmies from round two on in the playoffs this year and round one could be a bitch as well, with teams like the Lakers and Nuggets hovering around 6th-through-8th...

mavs>spurs2
02-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Lmao at the suns losing again tonight....

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Phil Jackson implied that D'Antoni didn't make many adjustments in the Lakers series. Essentually, he sticks with one game plan. Rather than changing it up, he just tries different players within the game plan. It'll be interesting to see. There's absolutely no gimmies from round two on in the playoffs this year and round one could be a bitch as well, with teams like the Lakers and Nuggets hovering around 6th-through-8th...

I know talk about the Wild West. Is almost unfair that whoever wins the East will pretty much coast to the Finals. You almost can say that winning the West is akin to winning the Finals.

Amare_32
02-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Lmao at the suns losing again tonight....

Don't laugh the Mavs were one Ricky Davis shot away from losing by 1 point.

ducks
02-03-2007, 11:59 PM
damm had the spurs beat them
the wolves,spurs and jazz would have beaten them this week

TheMulvany
02-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Actually, that's false. The Mavs had a 4 point lead and the ball with 8 seconds to go. Josh Howard decided to throw the ball up at the roof for some reason, which gave the Wolves the ball back and they hit a 3 from nearly half court. If Josh holds the ball he gets fouled and the Mavs extend the lead to 6 with a few seconds to go.

There's a big difference between winning by 6 and losing by 1...not sure how the Wolves were going to get 7 points in a Ricky Davis shot, but then again, people in Phoenix think 7 is some magic number....don't they?

JamStone
02-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Actually, that's false. The Mavs had a 4 point lead and the ball with 8 seconds to go. Josh Howard decided to throw the ball up at the roof for some reason, which gave the Wolves the ball back and they hit a 3 from nearly half court. If Josh holds the ball he gets fouled and the Mavs extend the lead to 6 with a few seconds to go.

There's a big difference between winning by 6 and losing by 1...not sure how the Wolves were going to get 7 points in a Ricky Davis shot, but then again, people in Phoenix think 7 is some magic number....don't they?

The Mavs beat the Wolves by 1 point right? If Ricky Davis makes one more jumper in that game, technically, the Wolves could have won right?

If we are supposed to look at things based on what "SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED," we could talk about the Dallas NBA championship last year, isn't that right?

SAtown
02-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Mavs fans should seriously shut the fuck up about being number 1.

Sacramental
02-04-2007, 01:16 AM
The Mavs beat the Wolves by 1 point right? If Ricky Davis makes one more jumper in that game, technically, the Wolves could have won right?

If we are supposed to look at things based on what "SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED," we could talk about the Dallas NBA championship last year, isn't that right?

no youre just way off. the mavs really won by 4, randy foye hit a desperation three with like 1 second left, the game was over and the mavs were already leaving.

RonMexico
02-04-2007, 01:36 AM
We're just going off the AP recap which says Josh Howard made a mental mistake at the end that could have given the Wolves a chance. I haven't seen any highlights yet, but I had to read that article a few times - it's very misleading.

Either way, Boris Diaw hits two FTs and the game is tied... another stupid 3-point loss to the Jazz. Why is Barbosa inbounding against AK on the final play? The Suns finally didn't lose the rebounding battle or turn it over too much, but they shoot 70% from the FT line. When they average 80% per game, 70% is pretty much a 3-point drop-off. Also came out flat in the game - that's not going to get it done, especially when Okur is an assassin at the end of games these days.

Fuckin' Diaw 2-7 from the FT line. 4-7 would have given them a possible OT opportunity (they lost by 3, but he had 2 missed FTs with 5 seconds left that would have tied it). Good thing the Ags won in a much more important game, so I'm not too pissed about this. But I would make Diaw shoot 1,000 FTs and run a hundred suicides tomorrow.

ponky
02-04-2007, 02:10 AM

not really...the score is what it is at the end of the game, no need to speculate when dirk could've easily made a three at some point even though he was off tonight

RonMexico the AP repost IS misleading...they shot that three with no time left on the clock for the game...there would've been no opp to win.

jacobdrj
02-04-2007, 04:18 AM
Jazz have a couple of teams' numbers: Pistons are no exception. Jazz seem to be able to handle 1-dimensional jump-shooting teams very well.

Amarelooms
02-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Mavs fans should seriously shut the fuck up about being number 1.

http://img111.imagevenue.com/loc23/th_66158_jesusslap_123_23lo.jpg

1Parker1
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Phil Jackson implied that D'Antoni didn't make many adjustments in the Lakers series. Essentually, he sticks with one game plan. Rather than changing it up, he just tries different players within the game plan. It'll be interesting to see....

That is because with the Suns style of play, there really isn't that much room to make adjustments. The Suns are pretty much a set/defined team with each player having a specific role in there. Suns aren't going to be able to turn into a half court team, turn up the defense for stretches, etc.

AZLouis
02-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Why is Barbosa inbounding against AK on the final play?

Initially it looked like the play was drawn to inbound the ball to Amare and then have it immediately tossed back to Barbosa but AK47 tipped the ball out of bounds.

Then they didn't adjust with 0.3 and ran the same play.

The game was pretty good (even though the Suns played with no heart until halfway into the 3rd quarter). Deron Williams is solid. So much for all that talk that the Jazz would rue the day they didn't draft CP3.

Anybody else watch the game and ponder what would've happened had the Suns signed Harpring over the summer since it was reported they had interest or a few summers ago when Okur was a FA?

I love Harpring's game and he would be just right here.

BUMP
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
i was at the game last night, and the Mavs were so much better. they just crapped away a 13 point lead cause they were already getting ready for our next victim

1Parker1
02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
i was at the game last night, and the Mavs were so much better. they just crapped away a 13 point lead cause they were already getting ready for our next victim

The Mavs? This is about the Suns v Jazz game, what game are you talking about? :wtf

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Well Suns @ Nuggets is coming up tomorrow :lol

It will likely be a fizzer coz the Nuggets are nowhere near their best. The team is so stuffed at the moment. Showing no heart, no trust and thus no chemistry.

I didnt realise how much the Nuggets would miss AI while he has been out. He is a great floor leader for the team thats for sure.