PDA

View Full Version : NBA Approves Two Rules Changes in NBDL

Kori Ellis
11-12-2004, 02:49 AM
NBA Approves Two Rules Changes in NBDL

New York, Nov. 11 – The National Basketball Association has approved two rules changes – the Three-Point Rule and the Seven-Second Rule – in its minor league, the National Basketball Development League, for the 2004-05 season.

“The NBDL gives us an opportunity to experiment with the rules of the game,” said Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations. “With these rule changes in our minor league, we will be able to observe how the game is affected and gather data from an entire basketball season in a league with like rules and a similar style.”

The Three-Point Rule states:
a) During the first, second, third, and fourth periods, a successful field goal shall count as two points if it is attempted (i) from any spot on the floor when the game clock shows 3:01 or more time remaining in the period, or (ii) from the area on or inside the three-point field goal line when the game clock shows 3:00 or less time remaining in the period. During any overtime period, a successful field goal shall count as two points if it is attempted from the area on or inside the three-point field goal line.
b) When the game clock shows 3:00 or less time remaining in the first, second, third, or fourth periods, and during the entirety of any overtime period, a successful field goal shall count as three points if it is attempted from the area outside the three-point line, in accordance with the following:
(1) The shooter must have at least one foot on the floor outside the three-point field goal line prior to the attempt.
(2) The shooter may not be touching the floor on or inside the three-point field goal line.
(3) The shooter may contact the three-point field goal line, or land in the two-point field goal area, after the ball is released.
(4) If the attempt is made during the first, second, third, or fourth periods, the ball must leave the shooter’s hand with the game clock showing 3:00 or less.

The Seven-Second Rule states:
A team shall not be in continuous possession of a ball which is in its backcourt for more than 7 consecutive seconds. EXCEPTION (1): A new 7 seconds is awarded if the defense: (1) kicks or punches the ball, (2) is assessed a personal or technical foul, or (3) issued a delay of game warning.
EXCEPTION (2): A new 7 seconds is awarded if play is suspended to administer Comments on the Rules – N – Infection Control and all jump balls.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line.

The league is not considering similar rule changes in the NBA at the current time. Potential NBA rule changes are first considered by the league’s Competition Committee before being recommended to the Board of Governors. Rule changes in the NBA require a two-thirds vote in favor by the Board of Governors.

The NBDL, the NBA’s minor league, includes the Fayetteville Patriots (N.C.), Florida Flame (Ft. Myers), Huntsville Flight (Ala.), Roanoke Dazzle (Va.), Columbus Riverdragons (Ga.) and Asheville Altitude (N.C.).

The league offers players the opportunity to develop their talent in a highly competitive atmosphere under the NBA’s umbrella. Twenty-eight (28) players have been called up the NBA on 39 separate occasions. Nine former NBDL coaches, five athletic trainers, 11 referees and 29 front office executives have also been called up since the start of the league’s inaugural season in November 2001.

Designed to help grow the sport of basketball both domestically and internationally, the league also offers fun, family entertainment at affordable prices. The NBDL is a source of on-court talent for the NBA’s 30 teams and is a diverse human resources pool for the NBA and its teams by training employees in management, operations, public relations, sales and marketing positions.

http://www.nba.com/nbdl/nbdl/rules_041111.html

Kori Ellis
11-12-2004, 02:51 AM
I don't like the 3point rule change at all. Hopefully it bombs so the NBA doesn't even think of adapting it.

Slomo
11-12-2004, 06:14 AM
I don't like the 3point rule change at all. Hopefully it bombs so the NBA doesn't even think of adapting it.
I agree, it sounds complicated and I do not understand what they are trying to achieve.

travis2
11-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Slomo, lawyers write the rulebook.

It's no more complicated than the current rule. It's the current rule with a time factor added.

Translated into English, the rule says if there's more than 3 minutes showing on the game clock, everywhere on the court is a 2-point shot.

Slomo
11-12-2004, 07:56 AM
I understand the wording. I don't get what it is they are trying to achieve (how will it benefit the game?).

maxpower
11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
They think if there is no incentive to shoot from that far then the players will step up a few feet to take the shots and therefore raise the shooting % and scoring. Obviously they have not seen today's NBA players. ..If they want to change the game why not make a dunk worth 1 pt during the game until the final 3 minutes. ....maybe that will get rid of the "it's all me mentality" and the over the top celebration for a meaningless 2 pts in the middle of the game.

Phenomanul
11-12-2004, 09:49 AM
It's still much better than their original intent to ban the three up until the final 5 minutes of the game.... the fact that they now allow it at the end of every quarter is better...

But, I'm with Kori on this one... I like the game the way it is... If the league wants higher percentages have the coaches crack down on their players who keep taking 3 after 3 after 3 and end up 3-14 or 2-10 from 3pt range.

I also think Stern has the whole age limit thing wrong.... If a player like a Lebron or a Kobe have the talent to enter the league... so be it. It's up to the teams that draft them. The problem is owners don't want to be left behind and end up drafting based solely on potential (no accomplishments) and thus they have "diluted Stern's precious product." They are going to realize at some point that for every Kobe, T-Mac, KG or LeBron there are 10 Kwame Browns, Eddy Currys, Tyson Chandlers or worse an Ndudi Ebi. It's simply not worth the risk. Stern is trying to give veterans the chance to continue playing so that they don't lock out the league via union negotiations.

An age limit is anti-Constitutional and simply not the answer to this problem.

Again owners will at some point have to be accountable for who they draft. But someone telling... no... mandating that you can't work at an age when it's ok to go to war, and get sent to prison is downright wrong.

maxpower
11-12-2004, 09:54 AM
One thing i've never understood about the whole "go to college" thing is they try to hide behind the argument that it is a now or never decision. If I had the opportunity to make that kind of money, even if for a few years, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I say, give the kids the idea of buying four years of school the minute they get paid. Then they can go and use that in the future if necessary or in their summers. ..but I hate how they make it an either or situation.

I know it's off topic..but wanted to check my Halo 2 avatar... I thought of making a Spurs themed number but does not support black..I imagine because of black blending into the background.

jalbre6
11-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Try the FIBA rules in the minor league rather than getting away from the 3-pointer.

jalbre6
11-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Another thought about the NBDL: Do you think that it would be a little more successful if each team had a minor league franchise, and it was in a smaller market in each teams viewing market? Put the Spurs team in Laredo, Rockets in Beaumont, Nuggets in Colo Springs, Knicks in Albany, etc? That way you can keep a closer eye on prospects instead of having to cut them or sending them overseas, more hand-on work with each teams coaching staff and schemes, more merch sales, greater fan identification with their teams? Just a thought...I thought it was weird that the NBDL was so regional, besides the cost-effective side of things.

timvp
11-12-2004, 01:33 PM
If they can turn the NBDL into a minor league system, that would be much better. Just get 15 franchises and assign two NBA teams to each.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-12-2004, 01:37 PM
The Three-Point Rule

Ugh.