PDA

View Full Version : Was Ploto right?

smeagol
02-03-2007, 11:56 AM
At this point, how much do we miss Rasho?

Nikos
02-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Nazr could rebound, and was useful at times on offense and on the boards in some playoff games.

They miss both a little bit right now. Rasho for his D, and Nazr for his rebounding and occasional offensive rebound scoring outbursts.

Bruno
02-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Should I put Rasho's playoffs stats to end this useless thread ?

Pero
02-03-2007, 12:00 PM

Hey, it`s still the regular season. Playoffs don`t count. :lol

BgT
02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok, you could also put David Robinson's stats from 2005/06 season. Hint: he was not playing. :sleep

If a player is not playing, that's not his fault. It's coach's fault.

smeagol
02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Useless your momma :lol

The Truth #6
02-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Why would anyone ever get excited about Rasho? He underperformed just like the other soft Slovenian. Can some of this be blamed on Pop's personal style? Who knows, but in the end they both sucked for the Spurs and got worse each year they were on the team.

Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

Bruno
02-03-2007, 12:19 PM
If a player is not playing, that's not his fault. It's coach's fault.

:lol
I can imagine a coch saying to himself : "this player is good, he can help us to win but I want to lose so I won't use him."
If a player is not playing, it's his fault.
Rasho hasn't played agaisnt Dallas because he wasn't good enough to play in this difficult matchup for him.

BgT
02-03-2007, 12:38 PM
:lol
I can imagine a coch saying to himself : "this player is good, he can help us to win but I want to lose so I won't use him."
If a player is not playing, it's his fault.
Rasho hasn't played agaisnt Dallas because he wasn't good enough to play in this difficult matchup for him.
Well, but you can magine coach saying "this player will not help me in this situation, so I will not play him." - and actually him being.... wrong?! I'm sure you do, I'm sure you do. And it's not just about Rasho, it's about Nazr, too, and the small ball foolishness.
Face it, Pop has fucked up the championship by not playing the way Spurs were playing the whole season - and actually finished with franchise record!

I mean, let's at least TRY to be intelligent here (I know some of you just won't understand it, but try it): how is it possible to be the BEST in the league and at the same time adapt to your opponents MORE than they adapt to you? It's THEORETICALLY not possible. If you are the best in the league, you are going to win with your game, because your opponents can't match you. By switching to some stupid small ball, Pop actually said "I'll give it to you, you are the best, the regular season franchise record was only lucky. Lead the way."

Again, I don't expect many readers to actually understand last paragraph. It requires some logical thinking and comprehension and there is lack of it on internet forums. Or better said it's nullified by emotions, lots of emotions.

Seriously, I don't understand how Pop is not being criticized at all. I think someone wrote (slomo?) that if one player plays bad it's that player, if all players play bad it's the coach. Again, this requires some logical comprehension so I guess it would be better to not write it at all...

timvp
02-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Rasho is a good teammate and person and everything, but he wouldn't bring to the table what the Spurs need. They need someone who can rebound, play against smaller and quicker players and show up in big games.

Rasho is 0-for-3 in those categories.

rayray2k8
02-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I miss Nazr more.

BgT
02-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Rasho is a good teammate and person and everything, but he wouldn't bring to the table what the Spurs need. They need someone who can rebound, play against smaller and quicker players and show up in big games.

I understand what you are saying and it might look to be correct. But Rasho plays much better now, I think. He is shooting career high from the free throw line with 0.74. In SA he had what, 0.45? I think it's all psychological. Pop thought he can do the same with every player, like he did with Parker. But all palyers don't react the same to his methods. He failed with Rasho, Nazr, Beno Elson,...
Bottom line, he would probably play the same with Spurs, like he played before, but not because HE would be the one who sucks. ;)

Rasho is just too smart for Pop, Spurs need to get Hall of fame center (like DRob - impossible) or a completely stupid 7-0 stick to not be bothered by Pop's methods and doghouses.

Bruno
02-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I mean, let's at least TRY to be intelligent here

I can ask you the same thing.
Let's say you're right and Pop was wrong (it's well known that pop know nothing about BB).

Who is Spurs coach this year ? You or Pop ?

If 06' Pop has find Rasho useless against Dallas, 07' Pop will too.

BgT
02-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I can ask you the same thing.
Let's say you're right and Pop was wrong (it's well known that pop know nothing about BB).

Who is Spurs coach this year ? You or Pop ?

If 06' Pop has find Rasho useless against Dallas, 07' Pop will too.
That's true, didn't I actually write even more than that?

Bottom line, he would probably play the same with Spurs, like he played before.

objective
02-03-2007, 02:07 PM

True.

Unfortunately both Oberto and Elson are also 0-3 in those categories, and are both 0-1 in dependable shotblocking/altering.

ALVAREZ6
02-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Re-sign Kevin Willis.

Extra Stout
02-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't miss Rasho. He wasn't good enough.

I do lament that the current centers are so bad that by comparison Rasho looks OK.

sendman
02-03-2007, 03:14 PM
This argument can go for ever. And anyone can find a lot of points to try prove his view, but here are some facts:
1. Spurs are struggling at center at the moment and they struggled a lot less last year.
2. Raptors improved a lot comparing to their last year.
Raptors are very happy with Rasho and his game.
I didn't bother with searching for old threads about him, this is their latest and try to read the whole thing. I couldn't find one poster to be negative about him.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=621222&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Bruno
02-03-2007, 03:56 PM
This argument can go for ever. And anyone can find a lot of points to try prove his view, but here are some facts:
1. Spurs are struggling at center at the moment and they struggled a lot less last year.
2. Raptors improved a lot comparing to their last year.
Raptors are very happy with Rasho and his game.
I didn't bother with searching for old threads about him, this is their latest and try to read the whole thing. I couldn't find one poster to be negative about him.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=621222&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

1. I don't care about regular season and I still think that Oberto/Elson will be better than Rasho/Nazr against Dallas/Phoenix.

2. I don't care what Rasho can do with Raptors (even if i wish him the best, he is a good guy), what was important is what he has done with SA.
About Rasho and Raptors : Rasho is a better fit in the east with Bosh than in the West with Duncan. I'm not surprised too that Raps fans like him because they haven't had a center for years. And Rasho is still overpaid for what he does with Raps.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-03-2007, 04:09 PM
People are still crying about last year's smallball against Dallas but I haven't heard any reasonable ways to get Rasho on the floor against that Dallas team. Who was he supposed to guard?

BgT
02-03-2007, 05:19 PM
People are still crying about last year's smallball against Dallas but I haven't heard any reasonable ways to get Rasho on the floor against that Dallas team. Who was he supposed to guard?

There was a time when Sam Mitchell thought he'd tweak his starting five every now and then to find matchups he thought benefited the Raptors.

Rasho Nesterovic changed all that.

The veteran centre's play of late – at both ends of the court – has given Mitchell no reason to make any changes to a starting group that includes point guard T.J. Ford, guard Anthony Parker and forwards Jorge Garbajosa and Chris Bosh.

"It would just be tough to take him out," Mitchell said of Nesterovic. "He's given us more offensively than what we expected but it's his defence and his rebounding, presence on the court. He just knows how to play."

The Suns have a small starting five by NBA standards but anything they give up in size they more than make up for in speed.

Mitchell stuck with Nesterovic that night, though.

"If I didn't do it against Phoenix (remove Nesterovic to avoid a matchup with Amare Stoudemire), which would have been the game to do it, it's tough to do it against anybody in the East, Mitchell said.

Asked to stay with a more fleet-footed Amare Stoudemire, Nesterovic gave it his all.
The date is 12th January 2007. Lemme see... coach of the month is... just a moment... aha, found it, it's Sam Mitchell. Wow. Who could expect that a coach who makes such a stupid decision to continue playing Rasho vs. toughest matchup for Rasho in the league, could get a "coach of the month" award. There's gotta be something wrong here.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything. But there is a truth and a truth. Those two can be different. Pop didn't find him useful vs. Mavs, you don't find him useful - that's fine. No problem at all. But there might be someone who finds him useful in those situations. Which brings us once again to the responsibility of Pop... :wakeup

ChumpDumper
02-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I like Rasho.

He wasn't worth his contract.

Goodbye.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-03-2007, 05:48 PM
The date is 12th January 2007. Lemme see... coach of the month is... just a moment... aha, found it, it's Sam Mitchell. Wow. Who could expect that a coach who makes such a stupid decision to continue playing Rasho vs. toughest matchup for Rasho in the league, could get a "coach of the month" award. There's gotta be something wrong here.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about anything. But there is a truth and a truth. Those two can be different. Pop didn't find him useful vs. Mavs, you don't find him useful - that's fine. No problem at all. But there might be someone who finds him useful in those situations. Which brings us once again to the responsibility of Pop... :wakeup
Dirk's an even worse matchup for Rasho than Amare, imo. If you try to do that Dirk would've torched us even worse than he already did. Meanwhile, with Rasho guarding out on the perimeter, his ONLY useful attribute (clogging the middle and blocking shots) would've been mostly negated.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Rasho lessens the pain, but in the end the result is the same.

Rasho is NBA morphine.

BeerIsGood!
02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Rasho would be nice to have for about 1 to 2 mil a year. For anything more he's overpaid and underplayed. Just doesn't match up with the teams we need to match up against come April.

BgT
02-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Dirk's an even worse matchup for Rasho than Amare, imo. If you try to do that Dirk would've torched us even worse than he already did. Meanwhile, with Rasho guarding out on the perimeter, his ONLY useful attribute (clogging the middle and blocking shots) would've been mostly negated.
Is there any statistics about what kind of shots Dallas took against us in the PO? I had a feeling there was a railroad from the 3pt line to our basket. If anyone knows a fast way to find this info, that would be very nice.

If my feeling was correct, something with shotblocking ability and "clogging the middle" would be VERY useful. If my feeling was wrong, I guess I'd have to agree with your post.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Is there any statistics about what kind of shots Dallas took against us in the PO? I had a feeling there was a railroad from the 3pt line to our basket. If anyone knows a fast way to find this info, that would be very nice.

If my feeling was correct, something with shotblocking ability and "clogging the middle" would be VERY useful. If my feeling was wrong, I guess I'd have to agree with your post.
No doubt some shotblocking would've been useful. My point was that with Rasho guarding Dirk it would be hard for him to provide that, unless you want Dirk shooting open jumpers all game.