PDA

View Full Version : 2 player that Spurs could get

JonNOKC
02-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Here are two guys the Spurs could realistically trade for that would fill needs on this team.

1. Fred Jones PG/ComboG 6'2 220 Toronto Raptors http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3612

2. James Singleton SF 6'8 215 LA Clipper
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4055

Fred Jones is the odd man out after TJ Ford trade...in fact with the exception of a few recent games (before Ford's return from injury) he didn't play over 4 minutes in any games including a stretch 7 games in which he had 5 DNP coach's decision. He would be a nice backup PG and gets to the free throw line and has the strength to finish around the basket. While not the best outside shooter he certainly is far better than Vaughn and could do no worse than Beno. Also while not quite the defender that Vauhgn is, he is far better than Beno and has the size to battle guys that would give Vaughn trouble. Toronto thought he would be their backup PG, but with him not playing (Ford trade) they would move him without much in return. While hes has 2 year deal he is not that overpaid compared to most free agents (3.1 mil). There is a good chance he can be had for simply sending back Eric Williams and his expiring contract (a trade that works for both team salary wise)!

James Singleton faces the same situation (maggette back from injury had taken his PT). This is a young kid (25yo) who is athlectic and has a game that reminds me of Josh Howard a year or two ago (strong around the basket, good defender, still working on consistent outside shot). Singleton has asked to be traded and the Clippers intent on resigning Ross know he doesn't fit into future plans in LA. This kid unlike J White is ready to play now and gives us an athlectic young 3 without breaking the bank (2yrs @ 675,000). A trade involving Singleton would probably consist of Beno or Vaughn or Finley (depending on whether LA wanted younger PG or expiring contract) and 2nd round pick or possibly Scola rights (or combination of current player, 2nd rounder and rights to one of our euro guys).

Both these guys could help this team - Jones right away and Singleton if we go small or facing certain matchups like Dallas, Phoenix, Denver,etc.

td4mvp21
02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Those are good finds, and they sound very realistic. Too bad the front office probably hasn't even considered these guys.

Bruno
02-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Welcome on this board.

Fred Jones sucks and isn't a PG (he is an udnersized SG).
I like Singleton too.

bdictjames
02-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Singleton could fit in small ball.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 03:46 PM
When the Spurs were talking with the Clippers (regarding Maggette), I wanted Singleton as the throw-in as a future Bruce replacement/long athletic 3. He only makes the minimum, so if the Spurs could get him that would be great.

Kori Ellis
02-03-2007, 03:47 PM
By the way - nice first post and welcome to the forum.

timvp
02-03-2007, 03:51 PM
As Bruno said, Fred Jones isn't a point guard. His lack of ballhandling makes him a 6-foot-1 small forward.

I liked Singleton until he asked to be traded. If he isn't going to be happy playing for a coach who wanted him when no other team would give him a chance (Dunleavy wanted him when he saw him playing overseas and said he wanted to bring him aboard), he sounds like a bad apple to me.

JonNOKC
02-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Welcome on this board.

Fred Jones sucks and isn't a PG (he is an udnersized SG).
I like Singleton too.

Thanks for the welcome...glad to find this board

Also while I don't think Jones sucks I do agree that he isn't a true PG , but I feel that he may fit the Spurs need...play him with Barry or Manu and they could run the point on offense without having to guard the opponents smaller, quicker point on the defensive end. You could also play him with Tony when facing guard duos like Devin Harris/Jason Terry or Nash/Bell

Bruno
02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't think Jones sucks

That's the point where we disagree. Playing with an undersized SG that plays PG on defense and SG on offense can work if the player is worth it (like Gordon with Bulls). I don't think Jones is worth it, he isn't a good defender and he is a chucker (.387 FG% this year and quite turnover prone).

ArgSpursFan
02-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Manu can hundle the ball while tony is getting some rest.Jone could feet right in the sistem,as a Buckup PG or SG,eather ways.

Mr. Body
02-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Guys who suggest we could trade our Scolar rights for a John Singleton should get punched in the nose.

ArgSpursFan
02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
I wouldnīt trade Scolaīs right.That would be another spurs Fuck up if they do that.

temujin
02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Scola for Singleton?

You mean the Scole-one-of-the-best-4-in-Europe-winner-of-the-Olimpics?
That Scola?

A guy that could stop Novitski consistently?

I watched Singleton here.
Played the 4.
Occasionally the 3. When he played.
Average jumper with no 3 points range.
Sporadic defense.
No hunger for hot balls at the end of games.
He is watching the game on a mediocre team, currently.

Hasn't won anything in his life.

However, one thing should be said.
He could jump.
He was very good at cheer up the crowd with spectacular slam dunks.

In warmups.

temujin
02-03-2007, 06:20 PM
At any rate James Singleton was WAY less of a looser than Beno Udrih, also seen here, (unfortunately).

Extra Stout
02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I wouldnīt trade Scolaīs right.That would be another spurs Fuck up if they do that.
The Spurs don't want Scola. If they found the right trade, they would trade him, but they aren't pushing too hard. I think there is bad blood between the parties. They are content to let him rot in Europe.

temujin
02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
The Spurs don't want Scola. If they found the right trade, they would trade him, but they aren't pushing too hard. I think there is bad blood between the parties. They are content to let him rot in Europe.

Scola is playing great, not rotting.
Tau is second in Euroleague.
Scola MVP of December.
16.6 ppg with 60%.

lSimply looking at age, Luis Scola might be content to just let the Spurs rot untill they trade him to a younger team.

SenorSpur
02-03-2007, 07:19 PM
The Singleton option sounds a bit more realistic than the Jones option. I did also read today that Singleton has "strongly expressed" a desire to be traded. Depending upon what the Clips wanted in return, it sounds doable. Since the Spurs brass "botched" the Maggette deal, I would they look into this potential acquisition.

Great stuff! Welcome to the board!

Mr. Body
02-03-2007, 10:33 PM
The Singleton option sounds a bit more realistic than the Jones option. I did also read today that Singleton has "strongly expressed" a desire to be traded. Depending upon what the Clips wanted in return, it sounds doable. Since the Spurs brass "botched" the Maggette deal, I would they look into this potential acquisition.

You probably read that information elsewhere on the board. It's been widely reported that he wanted a trade. And the Spurs never botched the Maggette deal. There never was a deal on the table, just some conversation.

Guru of Nothing
02-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Scola?

Wow, that takes me back.

Phenomanul
02-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Again... for those who missed it.

The Spurs should trade Eric Williams' expiring contract just to throw in Beno as a filler...

Were that deal to happen then the Spurs would have an open roster slot to go after a point guard like Pepe Sanchez... That dude can flat out run an offense.

Extra Stout
02-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Scola MVP of December.
16.6 ppg with 60%.

lSimply looking at age, Luis Scola might be content to just let the Spurs rot untill they trade him to a younger team.
Scola wants to play in the NBA to fulfill his dream. The Spurs are more than happy to keep that from happening as long as possible. That is what I meant by "rotting."

Seems stupid and petty to me. If they don't want him, they should at least try to get something for him. It's not like the roster is loaded.

Marcus Bryant
02-04-2007, 12:52 AM
It's too bad we didn't get a chance to see what Javtokas could have done this season.

I'm glad the Spurs are willing to diminish their chances of winning now to ensure they don't suck as much after '08.

Big P
02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
When the Spurs were talking with the Clippers (regarding Maggette), I wanted Singleton as the throw-in as a future Bruce replacement/long athletic 3. He only makes the minimum, so if the Spurs could get him that would be great.

I was hoping for Korolev to be the throw in & the long athletic 3 we desperately need, especially since the Clipps didn't offer to extend his rookie contract & he will be an unrestricted FA next year. Maybe the Spurs will offer him a LLE type contract.

ArgSpursFan
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Scola MVP of December.
16.6 ppg with 60%.

You know what it is??The spurs Owner is the cheapest mother fu***er in history of NBA.Period.

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
i disagree

you know why the spurs didnīt bring Scola down last year and the year before???because they had to pay The reminding of his contract in his actual team.Thatīs why they brought Oberto instead,cause he was cheaper to sign tham Scola.

Hoy
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I like Singleton from what I saw last year, don't know why his production is down this year. Usually not a good sign when a young player does not improve, Beno for an instance. Still, he is an improvement for any small forward/power forward combo, since we don't have any except for Eric.
I think he is doable small change even Pop can accept.