PDA

View Full Version : Are Spurs Fans Spoiled?

Sam
02-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Have Spurs fans been spoiled winning 3 championships in 8 years? Should they be willing to accept that the Spurs are only one of the top 5-7 teams in the league? Should they be ok with "just" making the playoffs?

Some of the topics recently have suggested that we don't truly realize what we have and appreciate things. Of course some could say that I'm just starting a topic because the Spurs aren't playing anytime soon. :sleep

Marcus Bryant
02-03-2007, 11:26 PM
It could be 5 in 8.

Why must we settle? You have one of the greatest bigmen of all time in his prime. Get all you can while it lasts.

RC's Boss
02-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Not spoiled, just greedy as hell! I only have 3 championship DVD's and would really like a 4th and if possible, a 5th to add to my collection :hungry:

objective
02-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Spurs might not get another legit HOF franchise player for another 25 years after Duncan is past his prime.

For the Spurs to waste his prime years like they did so many of Robinson's with teams with serious talent deficiencies, age, and having possibly the worst starters at a position (C) is inexcusable and a disgrace.

Capt Bringdown
02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
No fair weather fan here. I've been a fan since the ABA days, I love the Spurs.
That doesn't mean I can't be critical or disappointed with them.

Marcus Bryant
02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Spurs might not get another legit HOF franchise player for another 25 years after Duncan is past his prime.

For the Spurs to waste his prime years like they did so many of Robinson's with teams with serious talent deficiencies, age, and having possibly the worst starters at a position (C) is inexcusable and a disgrace.

Unfortunately, not many fans see it that way.

ploto
02-03-2007, 11:46 PM
If it seemed like the Spurs were making their decisons based upon how to win a championship, then maybe some fans would feel differently. It appears, though, that they are satisfied merely to be competitive.

Kong
02-03-2007, 11:47 PM
The Boston Celtics won 11 championships in 13 years. We're not spoiled yet.

Sam
02-03-2007, 11:47 PM
If it seemed like the Spurs were making their decisons based upon how to win a championship, then maybe some fans would feel differently. It appears, though, that they are satisfied merely to be competitive.
Is it money or is it they just don't know?

SCdac
02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I think Spurs fans, in general, were much more spoiled last season than this one (well, maybe "cocky" is a better word). We had that great reg. season record going on (one of the best in awhile, right?) and we were just coming off a championship. We were the favorites in the eyes of many. It became more and more clear through the course of last season that the Mavericks had gotten significantly better, but no one wanted to take them seriously (not excluding myself). Everything was gravy, and we were on pace to another ring... up untill we got knocked out of the PO's. Even in the first round though, I don't think anyone was expecting Bonzi Wells to be a one man wrecking crew. That, to me, says less about Wells and more about our roster. Same with allowing KVH to get off uncontested shots, and letting the Mavs get offensive rebound after offensive rebound, etc, etc...

This season it seems Spurs fans have come down to earth and realized we're not perfect. Sure, there's more than enough pessimism to go around, but at least some of it is warranted. Our current team has a knack for turning games into uphill battles for themselves, whether it's the players, coaching decisions, whatever. Doesn't matter. All that matters is the fact that the Spurs are "underdogs" once again. A part of me likes that (keeps the Spurs "on their toes"; we all know they're still very much contenders, especially after a PO exit the previous season), but another part of me thinks they're underdogs for a valid reason.

Extra Stout
02-04-2007, 12:46 AM
The Spurs have a better franchise player to build around than any other team in the West other than maybe the Lakers with Kobe. The only team that can boast a nucleus of stars like theirs is the Suns.

The front office has an easier task than just another any other franchise's. They don't have to go out and find game-changers. All they have to do is put decent complementary talent around the Big 3. This season, they have failed miserably in that endeavor. The Spurs are forced to have players seeing rotation minutes, who might not even make the rosters of the Celtics, Sixers, or Grizzlies.

And the key reason why is that an ownership group that has made over $300 million in capital gains in 10 years has gone cheap.

If Spurs fans are spoiled, they are spoiled by the consistent excellence of Tim Duncan, which makes this all possible. Fans rewarded ownership with lavish facilities and prolific revenue streams, to allow them the means necessary to keep this team on top. And now, with the sands steadily pouring through the hourglass of the waning years of Tim Duncan's prime, Peter Holt and his cronies have reneged on the covenant with the taxpaying fans who have expanded his fortune. These years are precious, because 5 years from now, this franchise will be wandering through a barren wasteland of losing.

Irritated fans are not being ungrateful to Peter Holt. Peter Holt didn't cause that lottery ball to fall into the Spurs' lap. Peter Holt didn't fly out to Hawaii when Tim Duncan was hinking about signing with the Magic. Peter Holt didn't pay hundreds of millions of dollars for a state-of-the-art basketball arena. All he has done is manage not to screw things up, and manage not to fall off the wagon, and he has been rewarded with a windfall over $100 million.

Well now, he and his group are screwing things up. And in the name of the greatness of Tim Duncan, the legacy of David Robinson, and the hard-earned money of the taxpayers of Bexar County, he deserves to be called on the carpet for it.

Marcus Bryant
02-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Yep.

In addition to having the best big in the game, the Spurs have an all-star point and a wing with championship 'intangibles'. The Spurs thought they could get away with building a supporting cast full of aging veterans on small, short term contracts.

It's amazing how willing fans of this team are willing to excuse them for this, for not making a balls out effort to do all they can to win now. The window for this team closes in '08. Holt decided to move that up, apparently.

Extra Stout
02-04-2007, 12:56 AM
If this were the Boston Celtics or the Philadelphia 76'ers instead of the San Antonio Spurs, Holt would be slaughtered in the media every day.

Marcus Bryant
02-04-2007, 01:03 AM
If this were the Boston Celtics or the Philadelphia 76'ers instead of the San Antonio Spurs, Holt would be slaughtered in the media every day.

That's the problem with being a one horse town when it comes to pro sports, as well as one that has seen the team reach championship level success recently. The average fan doesn't know any better and is content with having already been up that mountain a few times. It's rather obvious what ownership is doing, but with a fanbase full of sycophants and a compliant media they can get away with it.

Marcus Bryant
02-04-2007, 01:06 AM
A good start would be to find a columnist with a grudge against Holt. Maybe Buck can pick up that mantle.

ploto
02-04-2007, 02:37 AM
In addition to having the best big in the game, the Spurs have an all-star point and a wing with championship 'intangibles'. The Spurs thought they could get away with building a supporting cast full of aging veterans on small, short term contracts.
This is where I have seen the problem. The Spurs will be competitive with those 3 players and ownership seems to have decided that this is good enough for them.

And the one horse town analogy is very appropriate. It is interesting to talk to Spurs fans who are so single-minded that they believe that the Spurs are the only team who does certain good things or who acts in certain ways. They know absolutely nothing about other teams, other players' community involvement, or other arenas. It is sort of - it's the best because it's the Spurs mentality. The Spurs rate high in fan satisfaction because so many fans buy it all- hook, line, and sinker, and they get really mad when you try to tell them anything different. I think I look at the Spurs more and more critically as I attend games in more and more cities and in more and more arenas. The wider my range with which to compare, the more glaring the deficiencies.

Marcus Bryant
02-04-2007, 02:39 AM
This is where I have seen the problem. The Spurs will be competitive with those 3 players and ownership seems to have decided that this is good enough for them.

Sure. Those 3 should be enough to get the team into the 2nd round and fool the fanbase into thinking they are real contenders for the next couple of seasons.

wildbill2u
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
It could be 5 in 8.

Why must we settle? You have one of the greatest bigmen of all time in his prime. Get all you can while it lasts.
Assuming that you're right and we shoud get all we can while it lasts, do you have any specific big trade to make us better this year that is:

a) possible within the limits of NBA rules on trades

b)doable because it is such a no-brainer for both teams that the other team will agree.

If we can't make a deal this year with the above constraints, who do you see as a free agent that can change the current roster into a Championship team that will:

a) want to come to SA
b) will fit into the holes in the current roster
c) Will not require a salary higher than Duncan

Sam
02-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Assuming that you're right and we shoud get all we can while it lasts, do you have any specific big trade to make us better this year that is:

a) possible within the limits of NBA rules on trades

b)doable because it is such a no-brainer for both teams that the other team will agree.

If we can't make a deal this year with the above constraints, who do you see as a free agent that can change the current roster into a Championship team that will:

a) want to come to SA
b) will fit into the holes in the current roster
c) Will not require a salary higher than Duncan

Good Lord, let's not turn this into ANOTHER trade bitch and moan thread.

polandprzem
02-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Well yes I am spoiled.

I've broken my leg

vander
02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
the SPURS are spoiled and lucky, and us fans deserve to have that luck utilized effectively, not pissed away.

the spurs getting duncan in 97 would be like miami getting greg oden next draft, if the NBA had a normal draft instead of that gay lottery, Duncan would have been a celtic.

so everyone who is so quick to praise RC and pop, what did they really do? who was their best FA signing, or even a good one (outside of Bowen)? Anderson? Rasho?

it is of my opinion that a team who has one of the best power forwards of all time fall into their lap undeservedly should have more then 3 championships to show for it 10 years later. just look back on all the FA failures this team has had over Duncan's tenure. only one player has worked out (bowen) among all of them, anderson, daniels, smith, rasho, van exel, and on and on, and on.

also pop needs to add to that archaic offensive play calling, it's like the martyball of the NBA

ahh, i feel much better now that i got that off my chest

i think the spurs need to blow it up, the only untouchables are parker and duncan, manu is fun, but he's old (in that his career is already on the downhill side), fragile, reckless, good for only 20 minutes a game, and expensive.
Duncan is the cornerstone and parker is the future with yet-unrealized potential. the spurs need to surround these 2 with youth, good shooters, athleticism, and rebounding, cause duncan just can't jump anymore.

we need c. maggette!!!!!!