PDA

View Full Version : Anything that can be learned from the Championship Years?

team-work
02-04-2007, 06:21 AM
For example, the 2003 Spurs team also didn't do well in the 1st half of the season. Claxton, Manu injured, Malik put into the "doghouse" by Pop. Then things got the right way at about the same time of the season. In the post-season, younger guys like Stephen Jackson, Claxton and Manu got the majority of the minutes while the older ones like Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, Steve Kerr served kind of a "mentor" role.

I'm not saying that we should completely follow suit and relies on guys like James White and Jackie Butler heavily (they are likely not ready yet). But it is equally unlikely that the 30-plus-year-olds can win many more games in the regular season and still not exhausted in the playoff time when facing the Suns or the Mavs.

The 2003 or 2005 rosters weren't a lot better than the one now, yet in the end they won it all. This year, with TD healthy and still in his prime, Manu and TP having improved a lot, there should be a lot of room for improvement even if the team cannot be upgraded by a trade before the deadline.

1Parker1
02-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Anything that can be learned from the Championship Years?

It ain't easy, nor is it guaranteed.

ZStomp
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
The Spurs were better those years than they are now.

Spurs Brazil
02-04-2007, 09:59 AM
The 2003 team was MUCH better than this one

The Admiral/Malik/K-Will/Batter (Joking) were MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Oberto/Elson/Butler

Speedy/Kerr>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beno/Vaughn

And I will not say anything about the wings

stretch
02-04-2007, 11:13 AM
another thing, there are far better teams in the league now, than there were in those years. in 2003, the only other true contender was the Lakers, and the Mavs and Kings were pretty good. in 2005, the only true contenders were the Spurs and Pistons, while the Mavs and Suns (and maybe the Rockets) were the only other close teams. this year, the Spurs have to deal with the Mavs, Suns, and Rockets as contenders, and many other close teams as well, such as the Lakers, Jazz, Heat, Pistons, and Nuggets. and most of the shitty teams in the league arent even cakewalks like they were a few years ago (except for the Celtics).

the amount of talent in the league has jumped SIGNIFICANTLY in the past few years.

team-work
02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
What I really mean is that the Spurs right now are not playing the best basketball they are capable of. If they do so, they may or may not catch the Suns/Mavs, but this is another issue.

Texas_Ranger
02-04-2007, 11:47 AM
2003 was the best Spur team.

stretch
02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
What I really mean is that the Spurs right now are not playing the best basketball they are capable of. If they do so, they may or may not catch the Suns/Mavs, but this is another issue.
well, IMO, the Mavericks have not played their best basketball yet either. even during those two winning streaks they had, they were just playing good enough to get by, but werent playing spectacular basketbally by any means. Harris and Terry seem like they are finally beginning to break out of the slump that they have been in all season. Harris is finally starting to penetrate the way he is capable of, and Terry is starting to hit shots he usually makes. and they still have a number of bench guys that havent yet fully grasped Avery's system. lately, Howard has missed a couple games, and Dirk has been in quite a slump. but IMO, when the Mavs are playing their best basketball, no team in the NBA can beat them. and im not saying that to talk trash or to be a homer, but i think they are just too versatile, deep, and talented when playing their best basketball, for the Suns and Spurs to keep up with them, and beat them.

stretch
02-04-2007, 02:33 PM
The 2003 team was MUCH better than this one

The Admiral/Malik/K-Will/Batter (Joking) were MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Oberto/Elson/Butler

Speedy/Kerr>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beno/Vaughn

And I will not say anything about the wings
Tim Duncan was also healthy and in his prime as well. no one could stop him at his best.

Big Shot Rob
02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree--both JET and Harris could play better. Heck--in some games even Dirk sucked. Other guys pick up the slack--which is the way its supposed to be,

Behrooz24
02-04-2007, 04:29 PM
No Robinson on the roster = no title

trade for nate asap :spin

itzsoweezee
02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
don't play smallball

IceColdBrewski
02-04-2007, 04:48 PM
A good backup point guard. Pop has slowly and methodically ruined the current one, so I'm hoping we get one in a trade soon.

objective
02-04-2007, 04:51 PM
The 03 Spurs had a defensive anchor in David Robinson, and a hustling scorer and versatile defender in Malik Rose coming off the bench.

the 07 Spus have defensive liabilities with many other faults at the Center spot.

1Parker1
02-04-2007, 04:57 PM
:lmao @ the irony of Mavericks fans posting about how great their team is this season in a thread titled, "Anything that can be learned from the Championship Years?"