PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe's NBA analysis: Chance for redemption?

Spurs Brazil
02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mmonroe/stories/MYSA020407.12C.BKNanalysis.134a1e8.html

Mike Monroe's NBA analysis: Chance for redemption?

Web Posted: 02/03/2007 10:51 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Perspective is relative in the NBA.
The Spurs drop two of the first three games on their rodeo road trip, losing to two Western Conference division leaders, and the skies around San Antonio are falling.

The Suns beat four Eastern Conference teams on their most recent road trip, including the team with the East's best record, and skeptics insist they have padded their record against inferior Eastern competition.

Here, then, is the good news for the Spurs, licking recent wounds during five days in familiar territory before heading back out for the remainder of their sojourn: Of the West's power quarter, they have more remaining road games (seven) against Eastern foes than the Mavericks (five), Suns (three) and Jazz (four).

The Spurs also have six home games left against Eastern teams, meaning 13 of their remaining foes are from the supposedly inferior conference.

This won't help much unless they win at least five of the seven road games and at least five of the six at the AT&T Center, but at least the opportunity is there.

The plus-minus "standings" that measure road victories against home losses more accurately reflect the true power structure in the league until schedules begin to even out about this time of the season. Dallas and Phoenix are both plus-14, both with 17 road victories against three home losses.

The Spurs, who still have the third-best road record in the league, are tied with the Rockets in the plus-minus standings despite Houston's 13-11 road mark. That's because the Spurs have lost a significant portion of a home-court edge that had once been undeniably tangible.

What happened to make the AT&T Center less hostile for visiting teams?

Some members of the Spurs basketball operations department think the decision to move tipoff time up by 30 minutes, from 7:30 p.m. to 7p.m., has made for a languid atmosphere during the first quarter of too many games. Too many fans haven't taken their seats by start time; too many more don't seem fully engaged in the game until the second period, or even later.

Don't be surprised if the start times go back to 7:30 for the bulk of Spurs games next season.

boutons_
02-04-2007, 10:07 AM
"move tipoff time up by 30 minutes"

wow, I can't believe anybody thinks this is the Spurs problem @ATT. The Spurs very often fuckup the first quarter with lethargic, disinterested play, home or road, no matter what time the game starts. Sometimes Tony might go off in the first qtr, but usually it's just crappy sub-20 pt first qtrs.

ploto
02-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Some members of the Spurs basketball operations department think the decision to move tipoff time up by 30 minutes, from 7:30 p.m. to 7p.m., has made for a languid atmosphere during the first quarter of too many games. Too many fans haven't taken their seats by start time; too many more don't seem fully engaged in the game until the second period, or even later.

Don't be surprised if the start times go back to 7:30 for the bulk of Spurs games next season.

Wow- redemption week for me around here! First, some people actually admit they miss Rasho and now the Spurs admit this was a mistake!

Big Shot Rob
02-04-2007, 03:07 PM
To hell with Rasho.

Compared to our "bigs" Nazi was an All-Star, a God with stone hands.

itzsoweezee
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
What happened to make the AT&T Center less hostile for visiting teams?

and too many san antonio residents are laker fans

johnpaulwall21
02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
to hell with nazr aka pumpfakealot, rasho aka noshow, oberto aka waste of space, and elson aka no knowledge of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnpaulwall21
02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
and too many san antonio residents are laker fans

I hate that, when Spurs go to LA its a hostile crowd, when spurs go to san antonio vs Lakers its still a hostile crowd for us. :pctoss

Tom_Foolery
02-04-2007, 05:44 PM
has it really come to this? has it really come to the point where we are blaming home losses on a 30 minute change? that is really sad. i completely disagree and if a 30 min. difference in start time really is the problem, then we don't deserve the championship at all this year. the problem is not the 30 min. change, the problem is that our team is old & cannot get production from our bench, SF, and Center position.

SpursFanInAustin
02-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow- redemption week for me around here! First, some people actually admit they miss Rasho and now the Spurs admit this was a mistake!

I think they miss Nazr moreso than Rasho. I know I do.

Extra Stout
02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
You have got to be kidding me. What is up with these ridiculous excuses? Why won't they deal with reality?

RonMexico
02-05-2007, 01:03 AM
"Chance for Redemption: The Jackie Butler Story"

regio
02-05-2007, 01:03 AM
to hell with nazr aka pumpfakealot, rasho aka noshow, oberto aka waste of space, and elson aka no knowledge of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol