PDA

View Full Version : Dunk Contest

Pistons < Spurs
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
New York’s Nate Robinson will defend his crown in the 2007 Sprite Slam Dunk competition to be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA SPORTS™, Feb. 17 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Robinson will compete against three first-time entrants – Boston’s Gerald Green, who is an alumnus of the NBA Development League, Orlando’s Dwight Howard and Chicago’s Tyrus Thomas – for this year’s title.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44564/20070205/howard_thomas_and_green_to_join_nate_in_dunk_conte st/

Pistons < Spurs
02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
sounds fairly boring

Rip-Hamilton32
02-05-2007, 03:00 PM
gerald green will win it for sure

MrChug
02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Gerald Greens skinny azz will take it easily.

cheguevara
02-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Dwight Howard??? this dunk contest keeps going downhill.

Thomas will win it. anybody but that little shit.

where's igudala??? he's arguably top dunker in the league

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 03:18 PM
It sure does sound boring!!!!!!!!!

mavs>spurs2
02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Where's Vince Carter.....even after knee surgury he's still probably the best dunker in the league.....and Iguedala(however you spell it). And Gerald Wallace, Baron Davis(not sure if he's injured), Jason Richardson, the list can go on and on.

Medvedenko
02-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Look at the judges....
Kobe, Vince, Jordan, Nique, and Dr. J....damn who would win in their prime...I would stil go with Vince.

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
DR. J. an' JORDAN fo' Sure!!!!!! brace yourself foo'!

Rip-Hamilton32
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Where's Vince Carter.....even after knee surgury he's still probably the best dunker in the league.....and Iguedala(however you spell it). And Gerald Wallace, Baron Davis(not sure if he's injured), Jason Richardson, the list can go on and on.

you can only be in the dunk contest in your first 3 or 4 years i think

dirk4mvp
02-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Gerald Green got some crazy ups he showed off in the Mcdonald's high school dunk contest.

Dwight Howard? :lol :lol

Pistons < Spurs
02-05-2007, 04:30 PM
New York’s Nate Robinson will defend his crown in the 2007 Sprite Slam Dunk competition to be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA SPORTS™, Feb. 17 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Robinson will compete against three first-time entrants – Boston’s Gerald Green, who is an alumnus of the NBA Development League, Orlando’s Dwight Howard and Chicago’s Tyrus Thomas – for this year’s title.

Last year in Houston, the 5-9 Robinson outlasted Philadelphia’s Andre Iguodala 47-46 in a dunk-off to become only the second sub-6-foot winner in contest history joining Spud Webb, the 1986 champion. Webb provided the bounce pass for Robinson’s only 50-point dunk of the competition.

Golden State’s Jason Richardson was the last player to win back-to-back Sprite Slam Dunk titles capturing the 2002 and 2003 competitions. The only previous repeat Slam Dunk champion was Chicago’s Michael Jordan, who won the 1987 and 1988 contests.

The judges of this year’s Sprite Slam Dunk competition will include Jordan, who is the all-time All-Star Game scoring leader with 262 points in 14 appearances; 1985 and 1990 Slam Dunk champion and Pro Basketball Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins; 1997 Slam Dunk winner and starting guard for this year’s Western Conference All-Stars Kobe Bryant; 2000 Slam Dunk winner and 2007 Eastern Conference All-Star reserve Vince Carter and 11-time NBA All-Star and Pro Basketball Hall of Famer Julius “Dr. J” Erving.

There are two rule changes for this year’s competition: Upon receiving the ball from the referee, players will have a two-minute time limit to complete their dunk. If a player hasn’t completed a dunk when the two-minute clock expires, he will have two more attempts to do so. Also new this year is the use of television instant replay, at the discretion of the referee, for clarification of rules compliance.

Chris Childs
02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Wheres James White? He would win the contest hands down if he was in it. Is it Poppavich fought or the people who choose the dunk contestants? Oh well, My man Nate Robinson is going to repeat.

dirk4mvp
02-05-2007, 04:44 PM
There are two rule changes for this year’s competition: Upon receiving the ball from the referee, players will have a two-minute time limit to complete their dunk. If a player hasn’t completed a dunk when the two-minute clock expires, he will have two more attempts to do so. Also new this year is the use of television instant replay, at the discretion of the referee, for clarification of rules compliance.

Robinson is screwed.

P-O-Z
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Robinson is screwed.
just like in nba live were u only have a minute

Behrooz24
02-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Is Gerald Green the guy with only 9 3/4 fingers?

resistanze
02-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Dwight Howard? Shit is gonna look weird as hell :lol

MrChug
02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Didn't Ralph Sampson enter the dunk contest one year??

Bob Lanier
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I want to see Nate Robinson face Rafael Araujo in a dunk contest.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Tyrus Thomas and Dwight Howard are both freaks.

But I don't know if they'll get much style points. Not Howard at least, he's a facial machine. Not really slam dunk contest material. Nate Robinson probably won't win again either. The whole 'midget can touch the rim' act was nice last year. Doubt it will work again this year.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Some might laugh at Dwight Howard, but he is just as explosive as Amare was when he did the contest. And Amare finished in second place. There is no doubt in my mind that Dwight could do the free throw line dunk.

No.. the only reason Amare finished 2nd was because of Nash... the only chance Howard has to win is to bring down the rim... which isn't going to happen

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
BTW... worst Dunk contest in a long time. Green and possibly Nate I expect to have decent showings

dave
02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
4 fingers is going to win

RonMexico
02-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Gerald Green will be fun to watch. He wins as long as he doesn't take 15 tries to get down a dunk.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
rudy gay should replace tyrus tomas..and i read some where that howard can touch 34 inches above the rim so im not sure what hes gonna do but green is still gonna win

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-05-2007, 07:33 PM
the NBA is stupid.

JR Smith sould be there after he and Nate went at it

What better spectacle than those two trying to out do each other on dunks?

RonMexico
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Mardy Collins should be there as a prop to see if you can get your dunk off before being slammed into the back support by Collins.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Mardy Collins should be there as a prop to see if you can get your dunk off before being slammed into the back support by Collins.

:lol

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2007, 10:03 AM
They need to cut this fool from the competition

-------------------------------------------

Perhaps Tyrus Thomas will display more energy and enthusiasm during the slam-dunk contest than he did Monday in discussing his participation.

Asked if he were excited about becoming the first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event as part of All-Star weekend, Thomas barely looked up from untying his shoes.

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

Asked if an opportunity to rub elbows with some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, Thomas kept unlacing.

"I'm just into the free money," he said. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas makes $3.26 million.

The winner gets $35,000. The runner-up receives $22,500. Third and fourth place are worth $16,125.

Thomas' competition is Orlando's Dwight Howard, Boston's Gerald Green and defending champion Nate Robinson of the Knicks.

Michael Jordan will serve as a judge along with heavyweights Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter. This slightly stirred Thomas.

"I might have to break out some tapes of old contests," he said. "But I'm just taking it for what it's worth."

Jordan is the event's only back-to-back winner, and his winning dunk from the foul line at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 still resonates with Bulls fans.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070205bullsbits,1,3172483.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

ponky
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
the NBA is stupid.

JR Smith sould be there after he and Nate went at it

What better spectacle than those two trying to out do each other on dunks?

lol, that would be awesome

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
yeah, this dunk contest will suck

TheSanityAnnex
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Ronnie Price vs. Nate Robinson

That would be sick.

[link removed]

RonMexico
02-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Tyrus Thomas is a gigantic douche. "I'm just in it for the free money." Sounds like why you left LSU after your freshman year, too, buddy. Maybe he could learn to develop an offensive game at all star weekend instead of just taking his free money of $3.26 million from Bulls for being a pompous asshole.

baseline bum
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Tony Allen should have been in it.

RonMexico
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Tony Allen should have been in it.

I would watch wheelchair dunk contests over anything involving WNBA participants at the NBA All-Star game. Tony Allen vs. Jason Street of Friday Night Lights and Bonzi Wells since he's too fat to handle his own weight these days.

ALVAREZ6
02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Some might laugh at Dwight Howard, but he is just as explosive as Amare was when he did the contest. And Amare finished in second place. There is no doubt in my mind that Dwight could do the free throw line dunk.
I'm pretty sure Amare was more explosive before his surgery. That dude could jump really high, I'd give him the edge over Dwight, not know of course.

What the fuck do they base the decisions on???

I understand Nate and Garald Green because both can jump like mother fuckers and aren't 7 footers...but what the fuck is Dwight Howard and Tyrus Thomas doing in it???

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Chicago Bulls Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson has levied a $10,000 fine on Bulls rookie forward Tyrus Thomas for his comments after being selected to participate in the 2007 Sprite Slam Dunk competition to be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA Sports on Feb. 17 in Las Vegas.

“This fine is an appropriate response to the remarks Tyrus made concerning his participation in the Slam Dunk Contest. It is a poor reflection on Tyrus individually and a poor reflection on the Bulls organization and I am certainly disappointed,” stated Paxson.

“The league office has chosen Tyrus to participate in one of its premiere All-Star events and that is an honor that should be accepted with humility. I spoke to Tyrus this morning and am confident he understands that he made a mistake with his words and that he also understands the importance of representing the Bulls and the NBA in a positive way.”

ALVAREZ6
02-06-2007, 07:47 PM
What were Tyrus's comments?

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
What were Tyrus's comments?

look up about 10 posts

ALVAREZ6
02-06-2007, 08:34 PM
look up about 10 posts
Ah.

Fuck, why are they being so anal about his comment? Just about every human is in it for the money.

mardigan
02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
I cant believe Josh Smith isnt in this, Marvin Williams would have been nice as well, its funny how the Spurs never have a player anyone thinks should be in it (James White doesnt count)

NorCal510
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
players are in the NBA for money whats wrong with playing for money? u play for money, u bet for money, get your head staright mofuckas.

loveThe23
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
This year's contest- :sleep

ponky
02-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Ah.

Fuck, why are they being so anal about his comment? Just about every human is in it for the money.

maybe it's because the little bitch has more than enough money for playing a kid's game...he comes off as a typical spoiled athlete. some guys would love to do it to show off and win the whole thing over the competition. amare's dunk with nash, nate's dunk over spud, jason richardson's dunks, they at least put a bit of effort in what they're going to do. the way thomas' comments came off, he's probably going to do three boring ass dunks and walk off with a check for nothing

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2007, 09:42 PM
maybe it's because the little bitch has more than enough money for playing a kid's game...he comes off as a typical spoiled athlete. some guys would love to do it to show off and win the whole thing over the competition. amare's dunk with nash, nate's dunk over spud, jason richardson's dunks, they at least put a bit of effort in what they're going to do. the way thomas' comments came off, he's probably going to do three boring ass dunks and walk off with a check for nothing

:tu

It should be an honor to be invited to compete. As fans, the last thing we ever want to hear is that he's not really excited to be there. In that case, sit your ass home, and let someone who wants to be there get involved. IMO his comments were a big :flipoff to the fans.

dave
02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
i want the birdman back

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
i want the birdman back
then he and Nate Robinson can compete for many many attempts it takes before finally get the dunk!!

ponky
02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
then he and Nate Robinson can compete for many many attempts it takes before finally get the dunk!!

lol

RonMexico
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM

You said it before I did - exactly. Chris Dudley would be more exciting in the dunk contest than it sounds like Tyrus will.

dirk4mvp
02-07-2007, 12:26 AM
i want the birdman back

Dude had some serious hops. It may have taken him forever to put that one dunk down, but that was an excellent dunk when it happened.

ALVAREZ6
02-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Wel;l if it should be an honor to be invited, why doesn't the NBA invite the right fucking people? Or, do they actually invite the Carter's, the Iguodala's, the JR and Josh Smith's???? Is it that they just decline? Because either way, it's fucked up.

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Wel;l if it should be an honor to be invited, why doesn't the NBA invite the right fucking people? Or, do they actually invite the Carter's, the Iguodala's, the JR and Josh Smith's???? Is it that they just decline? Because either way, it's fucked up.

After a player's 4th year, they become inelligible. That being said after Carter's first year he declined the rest

ploto
02-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Rasho was so sad he didn't get invited. :(

BgT
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Rasho was so sad he didn't get invited. :(
He was invited, but he said, he wants to get more money for the first place. They should pay double, because you can see other contestants dunk every night, Rasho's dunks are rare.

bdictjames
02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Howard's got some crazy elevation and sure can throw down the dunk.

Thomas? I dont know. Guy seems wobbly.

Nate could pull another upset - as long as he's not given 15 tries.

I still pull for Green to win it all. Should surprise us with his skill.

Texas_Ranger
02-07-2007, 02:35 PM
My favourite is Green.

ploto
02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
He was invited, but he said, he wants to get more money for the first place. They should pay double, because you can see other contestants dunk every night, Rasho's dunks are rare.
:lol Simple laws of supply and demand.

ALVAREZ6
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Howard's got some crazy elevation and sure can throw down the dunk.

Thomas? I dont know. Guy seems wobbly.

Tyrus can dunk for sure, but he's just not the type of dunker that the dunk contest is designed for, and neither is Howard.

The dunk contest normally is at it's best with guys no taller than 6'8" and are really athletic and can do acrobatic shit in the air. Josh Smith was an exception because it's rare to find a guy at 6'9" to be so coordinated.

I doubt Dwight Howard can even do a through the legs dunk, which isn't even considered that good anymore unless it's done by a 5'9" Nate Robinson.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Orlando Sentinel -
The NBA, according to a prominent agent, is looking to remove Tyrus Thomas from the slam dunk contest.

"The league is looking to replace him," the agent said

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44601/20070207/nba_looking_to_remove_thomas_from_dunk_contest/

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Get JR in so he can OWN the midget :smokin

dave
02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
search in youtube for larry nance

hes 6'10 and could dunk very well for his size

dirk4mvp
02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Nate could pull another upset - as long as he's not given 15 tries.

Or as long as Iggy isn't anywhere around to get robbed similar to last year.

ndnjumpman
02-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Wheres James White? He would win the contest hands down if he was in it. Is it Poppavich fought or the people who choose the dunk contestants? Oh well, My man Nate Robinson is going to repeat.

james white would sure own out there

dirk4mvp
02-07-2007, 11:42 PM
that reminds me how damn awesome the dunk contest was last year in NCAA. White with a windmill from the freethrow line. Crazy.

itzsoweezee
02-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Perhaps Tyrus Thomas will display more energy and enthusiasm during the slam-dunk contest than he did Monday in discussing his participation.

Asked if he were excited about becoming the first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event as part of All-Star weekend, Thomas barely looked up from untying his shoes.

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

Asked if an opportunity to rub elbows with some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, Thomas kept unlacing.

"I'm just into the free money," he said. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas makes $3.26 million.

The winner gets $35,000. The runner-up receives $22,500. Third and fourth place are worth $16,125.

Thomas' competition is Orlando's Dwight Howard, Boston's Gerald Green and defending champion Nate Robinson of the Knicks.

Michael Jordan will serve as a judge along with heavyweights Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter. This slightly stirred Thomas.

"I might have to break out some tapes of old contests," he said. "But I'm just taking it for what it's worth."

Jordan is the event's only back-to-back winner, and his winning dunk from the foul line at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 still resonates with Bulls fans.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070205bullsbits,1,3172483.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

what a dickhead. i hope he gets laughed off the court.