PDA

View Full Version : violent NBA fans?

romain.star
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I've not been at an NBA game since I'm in Europe but I would like to know how the fans behave before during and after games...
For years now in Europe, violence in soccer has dramatically increased... nazi salute, rascist insults, fight and so on...
Last year, a young fan has been shot in Paris after a game, last week, a cop has been killed after a game in Italy

How do fans behave during NBA games? Who are the most violent fans around the league?

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
We are pretty SOFT in SA fo' Sure!!!!!!

brace yourself foo'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAtown
02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I've been to many soccer games around the world and many b-ball games around the NBA, and I have yet to see any major fights break out in the NBA (besides the brawl at the Palace). There's always the occasional argument or confrontation, but I think since the stadiums are much smaller than soccer, you wouldn't be able to get away with very many things.

Soccer fanaticism far exceeds that of any major US sport.

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
We are Classy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Extra Stout
02-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Our lowlife criminal class cannot afford to attend professional sports games. The crooks with means, that do attend games, would not be eager to call attention to themselves.

cheguevara
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Our criminal class cannot afford to attend professional sports games.

exactly. Sports here is aimed at rich/middleclass ppl. and rich ppl have better things to do than to go fight opposing fans.

in other words, sport is life overseas, here it's just entertainment.

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
nice analysis... but there's still passion around the league

globally, the most ''fanatic'' fans in US sports are from NBA? NHL? NFL?

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Your mom is Classy too, Softy

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey,I still remember the Pistons Vs.Pacers game!
those fans were out of control man..

cheguevara
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Artest, Jackson and O'neal were out of control man..

fixed

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:08 PM
fixed

hehehe :smokin

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:09 PM
well the Pistons vs Pacers game was a shame but you might need to go to a soccer game in Paris, Roma or Amsterdam man... the fans are just fucking crazy... since the begining of the season, there're already 2 death (a young parisian fan and a cop in Italy...)

SAtown
02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
nice analysis... but there's still passion around the league

globally, the most ''fanatic'' fans in US sports are from NBA? NHL? NFL?

I honestly think that the players are more of a threat than the fans themselves. Given that soccer players are mostly smaller than the average adult, whereas in the NFL and NBA, the players are built like machines. Add a delinquent attitude to that and you have a danger to society.

SAtown
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
well the Pistons vs Pacers game was a shame but you might need to go to a soccer game in Paris, Roma or Amsterdam man... the fans are just fucking crazy... since the begining of the season, there're already 2 death (a young parisian fan and a cop in Italy...)

I went to a Roma game at Stadio Olimpico in 04, and I was excited to drink a few Peroni and have a good time. Instead, they sold absolutely no alcohol (I can see why), and I was basically fearing for my life whenever Roma scored. The game ended 5-1 Roma, and it was one of the more intimidating experiences I've encountered (sportswise).

Slomo
02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Sports fans in general and NBA fans in particular tend to behave much better in the US than in Europe.

At NBA games fans of opposing teams are not isolated and seat wherever they can afford the ticket price. Fans of visiting teams wear their teams colors and except for the occasional hackle or remark they do not need to fear for life or limbs :lol.

I know they have been incidents and cases where the fans went from verbal hackling to physical confrontations but compared to what goes on on soccer fields in Europe it's really nothing. Of course it depends a lot on the rivalry of the opposing teams (last year's Spurs-Mavs serie comes to mind), but fights are still pretty rare, and I've never heard of visitors cars getting thrashed by the home fans on the arena's parking lot which is almost guaranteed in European soccer.

To me it was a surprise, but a good one. I was worried about how to behave when I went to my first NBA game in LA, and I was glad to find out it didn't matter at all (hell, I even got a couple of Lakers fans next to me to cheer every time Rasho had the ball).

And since we're talking differences. American fans are obsessed with statistics, I mean people are capable to come up with the craziest numbers right from the top of their heads. It's amazing to a foreigner like me and quite fascinating. The worst are of course baseball fans, but not by much :) Europeans support their teams on a much more emotional level.

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Hey, I live in Argentina,I know what rough fans are about,but I know that in europe theyīre crazy too.

itzsoweezee
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
europeans are just fucking crazy

i mean, you all embraced facism and nazism. nothing more to say really.

Slomo
02-05-2007, 04:17 PM

i mean, you all embraced facism and nazism. nothing more to say really.Nice generalization there junior.

I hope your 10 years old because the alternative is too sad to contemplate.

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
i know that south american fans are crazy too...

but mister itzsoweezee, as a european, i wanted to add that we're not all facist and nazi... Your statement is just stupid

SAtown
02-05-2007, 04:19 PM

i mean, you all embraced facism and nazism. nothing more to say really.

And Americans embraced slavery and harsh imperialism. Your point?

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
both stupid and racist btw

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
George W. Bush is a Texan and he Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you W

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
then you're not soft anymore to me, my dear SOFT SPURS...

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Your MOM is classy too, for sure.
a classy whore!

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
ARGSPURSFAN.... is Lionel Messi more popular than Manu in Argentina?

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Your MOM is classy too, for sure.
a classy whore!

Yo Buddy take a chill pill with the MOM Jokes. I am not here to insult anyone or to get insulted.

We really are Classy in SA. :toast

cheguevara
02-05-2007, 04:45 PM

omg do you even have to ask?

Taco
02-05-2007, 04:46 PM
We are pretty SOFT in SA fo' Sure!!!!!!

brace yourself foo'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

:lol @ your avatar

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:47 PM

theyīre on the same level I īd say.
but What manu did along with all the basketball team guys is unbeliveble,they got to the the finals in indianapolis in 2002,the gold medal in athens,them the 4rd position last year in Japan.thatīs something that the soccer national team has not done yeat.
Yes, they won 2 world championships in soccer,but what the basketball team did these last 7 years its has no presedent yet.

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
hey i just ask... never been in argentina but still... football is everything for argentinian folks isn't it?

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:49 PM
basketball has grown so much in the last 10 years,you wouldnīt belive it

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Yo Buddy take a chill pill with the MOM Jokes. I am not here to insult anyone or to get insulted.

We really are Classy in SA. :toast

you donīt want the momīs jokes,ok no problem.
but stop disrespecting the spurs and everybody on this board,or they īll come right back

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Sorry i ask you all these questions but: could you rank these 4 sports based on popularity:
Football, Basketball, Rugby (great team btw) and Tennis

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Sorry i ask you all these questions but: could you rank these 4 sports based on popularity:
Football, Basketball, Rugby (great team btw) and Tennis

in USA? you forget about baseball my friend.

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
IN ARGENTINA i meant

romain.star
02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
there's no rugby in USA BTW

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 04:58 PM
IN ARGENTINA i meant
ohh.sorry.
Soccer,Basketball,tennis and them the rest of sports far behind

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
ok.. i though rugby was making significant progress in term of popularity since you guys have a great team (historical win in Twickenham last year)

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
rugby is pretty popular,but its not pro.
they do real good anyways

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
the thing with rugby is that only rich boys play it,cause is amateur in argentina.you gatta have money to travel and do all the rugby shit and support yourself at the same time

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
well all the players are playing in French and English clubs...

Btw nothing to do with spurs but i've got tickets for the football game France - Argentina... Do you know if Hugain has been called up?

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Closest thing to violence in SA I've seen is after game 7 last year against the Mavs.

In the parking lot of the SBC center spurs fans and people in Mavs jerseys were going at it verbally. It didn't really materialize into anything more than that though. It was kind of stupid, we lost...yet Spurs fans were mouthing off at the Mavs fans.

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:07 PM
yeah i can imagine... The same for sailing... i used to sail a lot around the world and Argentinian sailors were by mile the richest...

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:10 PM
well all the players are playing in French and English clubs...

Btw nothing to do with spurs but i've got tickets for the football game France - Argentina... Do you know if Hugain has been called up?

no,he didnīt want to play vs france,cause he just said no to the french nat.team I guess.
but the coach wanted him to play.

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
yeah.. I thought the kid would be the next trezeguet but still, he made the right choice.

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
yeah.. I thought the kid would be the next trezeguet but still, he made the right choice.

who knows.France just got the 2nd place in the last world cup.And argentina got what?8th.,9th.?

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
lol... yeah but there's just one Zidane per century...

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
lol... yeah but there's just one Zidane per century...

the deference makers
60īs and 70īs =pele
80īs and early 90īs=maradona
late 90īs till last year=ZIZU

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
70's are more about Cruyff, Platini and Beckembauer

early 90 el pibe de oro??? wasn't he already out for drug issues in Napoli?
the early 90's have to be romario's years..

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
to me the last football game of Diego was the italian world cup final of 1990

Please_dont_ban_me
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
The violence must have something to do with the country it is played in.

I went to the World Cup when it was in Chicago a few years back. It was very...normal. I was pretty young at the time, but I would remember fires, riots and fighting. So maybe the gov't of those countries need to take more responsibility when this violence keeps breaking out at there events?

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
70's are more about Cruyff, Platini and Beckembauer

early 90 el pibe de oro??? wasn't he already out for drug issues in Napoli?
the early 90's have to be romario's years..

IN 1990 2nd. place in the world cup,two american cups in 1994 and 1996,and them in USA 1994 he got caughed with dopping.maradona shined for more tham 15 years.
them yes in the 70īs cruiff and beckembauer,no doubt.
romario?mmmm,to me he was a good scorer,not a diference maker.+he got lucky to play in such a great team like brazil was in 1994,(in my opinion argentina had a better team that year,with maradona,batituta,caniggia and redondo in the same team)

SOFT SPURS
02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
PELE >>>>>>>>>>DRUG Addict Maradona

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
PELE >>>>>>>>>>DRUG Addict Maradona

give that pipe back to your mom boy! :smokin

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
To me, it has nothing to do with the country it is played in...
In every country where soccer is sport n°1 (actually, the whole world except the USA, Australia and NZL) there's a phenomenon of violence surounding the stadium...
Don't know how to explain it.. You guys don't have such problems in the US sports whereas the american society is much more violent...

romain.star
02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
in 1994, Sweden and Romania (with hagi) were the most entertaining teams
During this world cup Romario was far better than batigoal btw....

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
to me a diference maker is somebody like pele,maradona,zidane,cruif,ronaldinho,messi(maybe in the near future),and george hagi too.
but good scorers can be players like:romario,batistuta,ronaldo,samuel etó,canigia,cevcenko,Van Vasten etc.
those players can score and are great players but,not deference makers

romain.star
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
that's basically the difference between a striker and a creative midfielder...
Zidane, Maradona: Nash, Kidd... unselfish creation
Ronaldo, Van Basten: T-MAC, Kobe... selfish finition

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 06:09 PM
that's basically the difference between a striker and a creative midfielder...
Zidane, Maradona: Nash, Kidd... unselfish creation
Ronaldo, Van Basten: T-MAC, Kobe... selfish finition

yeah,I was gonna give an example like that.
If you take it to the NBA,it would be
Iverson=good scorer,but not a deference maker
them nash=diference maker
jordan=diference maker and good scorer

romain.star
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
YEAH jordan had it all... to me, Maradona in 1976 and Zizou in 2006 were the only ones who matched jordan's achievements both in term of diference maker and finisher

ArgSpursFan
02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
YEAH jordan had it all... to me, Maradona in 1976 and Zizou in 2006 were the only ones who matched jordan's achievements both in term of diference maker and finisher

yeah,totally true

romain.star
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
well.... Tevez and Mascierano are making a case for themselves in WestHam this year... ;-)