PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Western Conference?

carib
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Who will win the Western Conference?

Mavericks
Suns
Spurs
Jazz
Rockets
Lakers
Nuggets
Other

1Parker1
02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Mavs, hands down.* They easily have the deepest bench in the league, they have a quality, defensive minded coach, they have a go-to clutch guy in Dirk, they can play any style of basketball: up-tempo or half-court, they have their energy guys in Terry, Stackhouse, and Howard, they have good 3 point shooters--something which was missing last season, and mostly importantly I don't think there's any team in the West that can counter the Dirk and Howard small ball lineup (Suns don't play good enough defense to counter it).

*Unless the Spurs make a huge trade in which case I reserve the right to change my answer.

carib
02-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Which Team Will Take the West

SAtown
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Are you asking who will win the WCF? Because we don't even know who's going to play in it.

carib
02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Are you asking who will win the WCF? Because we don't even know who's going to play in it.

But we know which teams would not be playing there, Grizziles, Supersonics, Trail Blazers, they are playing for first round picks.

Amare_32
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Suns

Pistons < Spurs
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Suns

SexRex
02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Sonics or Blazers

Dirk Nowitzki
02-05-2007, 09:43 PM
The Spurs! :drunk :drunk :drunk

Phil Hellmuth
02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Mavs

phxspurfan
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Nugs

Solid D
02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
http://members.aol.com/PaulEC2/huck3.jpg

The Spurs have the Mavs and Suns right where they want them!

J.T.
02-05-2007, 10:47 PM
The way we're playing, Mavs. But anything can happen in the playoffs.

RC's Boss
02-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Call me a biased homer, but I say SA all the fucking way!

SilverPlayer
02-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I am calling it for the Mavs now unless we get some help.

Any signs of life from any bench player when it counts, will be enough for the Spurs to push the mavs to a seventh game. Otherwise it's an exit for the Spurs, and a real Mavs banner ceremony next November.

dg7md
02-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Suns

Pugglekicker_21
02-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Mavs, but i say it lightly

carib
02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
There is no way the Spurs go down in 7

wildbill2u
02-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Mavs, hands down.* They easily have the deepest bench in the league, they have a quality, defensive minded coach, they have a go-to clutch guy in Dirk, they can play any style of basketball: up-tempo or half-court, they have their energy guys in Terry, Stackhouse, and Howard, they have good 3 point shooters--something which was missing last season, and mostly importantly I don't think there's any team in the West that can counter the Dirk and Howard small ball lineup (Suns don't play good enough defense to counter it)...
Very good analysis and one I'm inclined to agree with although I think the Suns have a slightly better roster through the 6th man. Very slight.

Amare> Dampier
Diaw < Dirk
Marion > Howard (but not by much)
Nash > Terry (Terry could work Nash on defense)
Bell = Harris
Barbosa > Stackhouse (not at the same position so not clear)

But you're right in that the Mavs have bought into playing defense and have better depth overall. It could come down to whether the Sun's three All-Stars are better than Dirk and Howard if they meet in the WCF. Should be a great series to watch.

Of course, crazy things can happen in the playoffs and some other team could make a run, but you have to like these two teams getting there based on form and pedigree.

stretch
02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
There is no way the Spurs go down in 7
they did last year. and they arent as good as last year's team, and the Mavs, Suns, Lakers, Rockets, Jazz, and Nuggets have all gotten better.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 01:11 AM
they did last year. and they arent as good as last year's team, and the Mavs, Suns, Lakers, Rockets, Jazz, and Nuggets have all gotten better.
I thought mav fans don't like to live in the past?

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 01:40 AM
:lol

Rapper
02-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Absolutely Mavericks

Because of Dirk Nowitzki

He's inside well, outside well

he has 7'0" tall, I think he is definitely the best forward in the league

Although I like Tim Duncan more than Dirk

But actually dirk is undoubtedly truth in NBA

Do you guys think so??

By the way. I'm a Chinese, I'm in China right now

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 04:53 AM
The first team to 12 wins in the playoffs. Is it wednesday yet?

Dre_7
02-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Im too loyal. Spurs win the west!

mavsfan1000
02-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Very good analysis and one I'm inclined to agree with although I think the Suns have a slightly better roster through the 6th man. Very slight.

Amare> Dampier
Diaw < Dirk
Marion > Howard (but not by much)
Nash > Terry (Terry could work Nash on defense)
Bell = Harris
Barbosa > Stackhouse (not at the same position so not clear)

But you're right in that the Mavs have bought into playing defense and have better depth overall. It could come down to whether the Sun's three All-Stars are better than Dirk and Howard if they meet in the WCF. Should be a great series to watch.

Of course, crazy things can happen in the playoffs and some other team could make a run, but you have to like these two teams getting there based on form and pedigree.
I go by team needs along with the individual talent on these ratings.

Stoudemire>Dampier
Diaw<<Dirk
Marion=Howard
Bell<Terry
Nash>Harris
Barbosa>Stackhouse
Kurt Thomas<George
Scrubs<Diop

Texas_Ranger
02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Suns.

Jimcs50
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Mavericks by a mile

AJ will get another ring.

:elephant

angel_luv
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Spurs!

abelle23
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
i still love my spurs but i think mavs will win wcf then eventually loose the championship ....i dont want them to win it all

jeffdrums22
02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, everyone's automatic answer here is the Mavericks, just like last year it was when asked: Who will win the 2006 NBA Finals, the Miami Heat or Dallas Mavericks? Up until midway through the 4th quarter of Game 3, with Mavs leading the series 2-0, everyone thought the Mavs had sailed to their first championship already. But their Finals loss to the Heat has been overlooked and taken too lightly.

Time has apparently healed all suspicion as to the championship ability of the Mavs (I don't see how. A couple of months have passed since June, they're still playing the same as they were in the regular season last year, after 48 games last year they were 38-10, right now they are 39-9, big diff. They are just receiving more attention. Regular season success has NEVER been used to predict playoff success). In a non Who's-better-the-Spurs-or-Mavs point of view, they very nearly blew a 20 point lead in Game 7 vs the Spurs last year. As well as they have been playing in the regular season, tight playoff situations are not handled well by the Mavs. I also recall Dirk missing a key free throw in the closing minute of Game 5 on the Finals (whatever game it was, it would have tied or pulled the game closer) also, after pretty much not missing a single free throw throughout the entire regular season and playoffs up until that point.

Sure they have made an impressive regular season run thus far, but that's because there's no pressure. The real test will come starting in April...

So if the Spurs finish in the top 4 seeds, its either the Spurs or Mavs taking the West, Spurs simply have veteran championship experience, regardless of struggles this season. That is how the Heat won their title, veteran experience. All they would have to do is play well for 16 games in the playoffs. And, although the Spurs are struggling against top teams, they've proved more vs the Mavs, Jazz, Lakers than the Suns have vs those same teams.

Oh, Gee!!
02-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Suns

Bookit
02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, everyone's automatic answer here is the Mavericks, just like last year it was when asked: Who will win the 2006 NBA Finals, the Miami Heat or Dallas Mavericks? Up until midway through the 4th quarter of Game 3, with Mavs leading the series 2-0, everyone thought the Mavs had sailed to their first championship already. But their Finals loss to the Heat has been overlooked and taken too lightly.

Time has apparently healed all suspicion as to the championship ability of the Mavs (I don't see how. A couple of months have passed since June, they're still playing the same as they were in the regular season last year, after 48 games last year they were 38-10, right now they are 39-9, big diff. They are just receiving more attention. Regular season success has NEVER been used to predict playoff success). In a non Who's-better-the-Spurs-or-Mavs point of view, they very nearly blew a 20 point lead in Game 7 vs the Spurs last year. As well as they have been playing in the regular season, tight playoff situations are not handled well by the Mavs. I also recall Dirk missing a key free throw in the closing minute of Game 5 on the Finals (whatever game it was, it would have tied or pulled the game closer) also, after pretty much not missing a single free throw throughout the entire regular season and playoffs up until that point.

Sure they have made an impressive regular season run thus far, but that's because there's no pressure. The real test will come starting in April...

So if the Spurs finish in the top 4 seeds, its either the Spurs or Mavs taking the West, Spurs simply have veteran championship experience, regardless of struggles this season. That is how the Heat won their title, veteran experience. All they would have to do is play well for 16 games in the playoffs. And, although the Spurs are struggling against top teams, they've proved more vs the Mavs, Jazz, Lakers than the Suns have vs those same teams.

You said it yourself. Dirk made almost every free throw up until that point including a huge free throw to tie up with the Spurs in game 7. So the guy misses a single free throw and that is supposed to mean something? He isn't a 100% free throw shooter you know. Give me a break. BTW this thread is about who is going to win the Western Conference and not the whole thing anyway.

Mavs win the Western Conference. :ihit

cheguevara
02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Mavs remind me of last year's Pistons. Killing in the regular season after losing the finals. Finally ran out of steam and choked in the 2nd round. (yes they should have lost to the Cavs, except Cavs choked even more)

Bookit
02-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Mavs remind me of last year's Pistons. Killing in the regular season after losing the finals. Finally ran out of steam and choked in the 2nd round. (yes they should have lost to the Cavs, except Cavs choked even more)

Only time will tell. It is funny how ever team "choked" against the Heat last year. Could it be that the Heat just whipped everybody's ass? The Spurs would have "choked" too if they would have made it to the finals.

Clutch20
02-06-2007, 05:47 PM
*S*P*U*R*S*

Consider the alternatives.
Which of them recently has defended the WC and brought home
the trophy?

tlongII
02-06-2007, 05:47 PM
The Suns will win the NBA title this year easily as long as they are healthy.

gospursgooo
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
I will not vote. Whatever the results of this polling are, it won't change anything. The best team wins it all!

mabber
02-06-2007, 06:53 PM

I will only argue the point about how the Mavs are playing during last season's regular season and this season's. They are playing MUCH better this season than last even thought the record is only 1 game better. They've learned how to play lock down defense when it matters this year. Last year, they were still learning Avery's defensive system and played much better D than in the past but it's much better this season even if the stats don't show necessarily show it.

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Only time will tell. It is funny how ever team "choked" against the Heat last year. Could it be that the Heat just whipped everybody's ass? The Spurs would have "choked" too if they would have made it to the finals.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I will only argue the point about how the Mavs are playing during last season's regular season and this season's. They are playing MUCH better this season than last even thought the record is only 1 game better. They've learned how to play lock down defense when it matters this year. Last year, they were still learning Avery's defensive system and played much better D than in the past but it's much better this season even if the stats don't show necessarily show it.

I love it when people say "when it matters." In a game it should always matter.

romain.star
02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Dampier>OBERTO
DirkDUNCAN
Marion>BOWEN
Bell=GINOBILI
Nash>PARKER
Barbosa>FINLEY

GO SPURS GO

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Dampier>OBERTO
DirkDUNCAN
Marion>BOWEN
Bell=GINOBILI
Nash>PARKER
Barbosa>FINLEY

GO SPURS GO
:dizzy

good thing they aren't on the same team than. And Bell=Ginobili what are you high :lol

romain.star
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I CONFIRM: bell=ginobili from what I've seen so far this season
oh and.... i feel bad saying it but since 2004: DIRK > DUNCAN
but still GO SPURS GO

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I CONFIRM: bell=ginobili from what I've seen so far this season
oh and.... i feel bad saying it but since 2004: DIRK > DUNCAN
but still GO SPURS GO

I don't even think a Suns fan would say Bell=Manu

romain.star
02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
bell's defense is better
whereas his offence's not
tie

mavsfan1000
02-06-2007, 08:11 PM

I'm impressed you looked all this info up. The mavs last years had an easy schedule up to that point and than hit a ton of rough games after the all star break. This year the mavs already went through the toughest games in January and still kept winning. This years mavs have definitely been more impressive in my opinion thanks to additions of Buckner and George and the subtraction of Van Horn.

milkyway21
02-06-2007, 08:18 PM
a week ago the Sun's future looks brighter than their usual sunshine. But watch out guys, Nash effort to make this team a top contender is taking its toll on his health;

PHOENIX, Feb. 6 (AP) -- All-Star point guard Steve Nash will miss the Phoenix Suns' game at Portland on Tuesday night because of inflammation in his right shoulder.

The NBA's two-time defending MVP didn't play in the second half of the Suns' 113-108 victory in Denver on Monday night.

That didn't stop him from lecturing his teammates after a lethargic first half. The team responded with a strong second half for its 38th victory of the season.

Nash said he first felt soreness in the shoulder when he got out of bed Thursday and it has worsened since.

After Tuesday's game, the Suns don't play again until Friday, when they are home against Atlanta.

Nash is averaging career highs of 19.3 points and an NBA-leading 11.8 assists per game.

and it's what makes a team survive through the rest of the remaining games before playoffs.

knock on wood ***, the Spurs are healthy and what makes this team a team to watch out for after the All-Star games.

jeffdrums22
02-07-2007, 12:51 AM
You said it yourself. Dirk made almost every free throw up until that point including a huge free throw to tie up with the Spurs in game 7. So the guy misses a single free throw and that is supposed to mean something? He isn't a 100% free throw shooter you know. Give me a break. BTW this thread is about who is going to win the Western Conference and not the whole thing anyway.

Mavs win the Western Conference. :ihit

I've said it so many times before: If the Mavs won 2006 NBA Finals, I'd believe just as much as the next guy that they would win it all this year. I can't help but doubt that they are just the same Mavs team as before: Solid, fast, fold under playoff pressure.

ponky
02-07-2007, 01:10 AM
I've said it so many times before: If the Mavs won 2006 NBA Finals, I'd believe just as much as the next guy that they would win it all this year. I can't help but doubt that they are just the same Mavs team as before: Solid, fast, fold under playoff pressure.

Yeah like ten posts ago. Anyway, we didn't expect the Spurs to win the seasons AFTER they won their championships and better still, we didn't discount them the following seasons after they failed to win BTB trophies. A VERY unexperienced Mavs team choked in their first ever finals...there is no reason to believe that it will happen again but of course, you are determined to keep this idea embedded in your mind. I believe the Mavs will win the WCF but if the Mavs don't make it out of the west, then it will be because of the Suns/Spurs. That said, I don't think any team is going to be doing any sweeping in the WC playoffs this year, I think all games will go to at least five.

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2007, 02:01 AM
bell's defense is better
whereas his offence's not
tie

Ben Wallace plays better defense than Duncan
Duncan plays better offense than Wallace

Thusly they are equal.

x_roux_x
02-07-2007, 03:17 AM
it ends pretty much in that order that you asked to pick from I think....

Mavschick
02-07-2007, 06:51 AM
DAL beat PHO last year when they were without Amare and then barely beat SA. DAL has given up 97 ppg over the last 14 games and have given up 100+ 5 times over that stretch so their D is hardly dominant and more of the bend-but-don't-break variety. Good offensive teams like GS, UT, and WAS gave them fits. PHO with Amare would be a very tough matchup for them in a short series.

z0sa
02-07-2007, 11:51 AM
spurs big 3 can play 42 minutes avg in the playoffs = 4th ring

mabber
02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
DAL beat PHO last year when they were without Amare and then barely beat SA. DAL has given up 97 ppg over the last 14 games and have given up 100+ 5 times over that stretch so their D is hardly dominant and more of the bend-but-don't-break variety. Good offensive teams like GS, UT, and WAS gave them fits. PHO with Amare would be a very tough matchup for them in a short series.

Good thing they'd play in a long, 7 game series.