PDA

View Full Version : Despite losses, Parker insists there is progress

Kori Ellis
02-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Despite losses, Parker insists there is progress

Web Posted: 02/05/2007 11:00 PM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020607.04D.BKN.Spurs.1c0b834.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Watching Tony Parker walking gingerly across the floor at the Spurs' practice facility gave rise to more concern for a team in the midst of a losing streak, a long road trip and a near-crisis of confidence.

Parker quickly allayed fears and set a positive tone as the team's five-day hiatus nears an end.

"It's just a little tendinitis," Parker said. "I'm OK. It's going to be fine."

With the Spurs about to leave for the final five games of their eight-game rodeo road trip, a stretch that begins Wednesday in Washington, D.C., against the Eastern Conference's top team, Parker tried his best to assure that the Spurs are going to be fine, too.

They may just have dropped back-to-back games against two of the Western Conference's best teams, but the All-Star point guard found some comfort in the Spurs' play.

"It's going to be funny, what I'm saying," Parker said, without the slightest hint of laughter, "but I know we lost in the last two games, but I still think we are improving and are turning the corner a little bit, slowly but surely."

What Parker saw, even in losses at Utah and Phoenix, were stretches of excellence that hinted the Spurs are correcting their problems despite having fallen seven games behind the Mavericks in the Southwest Division.

"Two years ago we always used to win those tight games — all of those," Parker said. "This year, it's like a little circle. It turns around, and you lose all those games, except the Lakers game. So we just have to keep working, working hard. I think we're very close to winning those games and we just have to keep pushing."

Losing at Utah and Phoenix puts more pressure on the Spurs in the final five games of the road trip that concludes Feb. 14, just before the All-Star break.

That, said Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, also can be a good thing.

"Yeah, it actually does," Ginobili said. "But the way we have been playing in January we just want to get better and change the pace of the season and get on a nice streak."

Monday's practice was even longer than Sunday's, which went over two hours and included a lengthy video re-hash of costly mistakes from the Spurs' two losses. The team will have a third-straight practice session — a regular-season rarity — today before leaving for Washington.

"Practice is always important," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "whether it's one practice in three weeks or three in a row, like we're going to have here. Practice is never unimportant, that's for sure."

Popovich said there was a serious tone to the last two workouts.

"(It was) a good chance to improve execution and let a lot of guys play, guys who don't normally get much of a chance to go five-on-five because they're 10th man or 12th man," he said.

"(We worked on) many things. It doesn't matter if you have the best record in the league or the worst record. Basketball is made up of a lot of components, so you can pick out almost anything and get better at it."

Notebook: Brent Barry sported a wrap on his right shin after a collision during practice with Jacque Vaughn. Barry and Michael Finley put in 30 minutes of extra shooting practice, and Barry snowed no ill effects from the bump. Vaughn apparently escaped injury.

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Despite losses, Parker insists there is progress

Web Posted: 02/05/2007 11:00 PM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020607.04D.BKN.Spurs.1c0b834.html

Barry and Michael Finley put in 30 minutes of extra shooting practice,

That's probably like 1000 bricks tight there.

SilverPlayer
02-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I can see the Spurs improving and generally finding some rhythm to close out the season, but I don't see us having the talent to take it to the next level in the playoffs.

The Spurs can solidify their game all they want, but that's what happened last year; The Mavs were just better. We were forced to rely on a perfect game to beat them. And that ends up putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the team, which just makes the hoops smaller.

ArgSpursFan
02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
but we just got short by one bad faul in game 6 last year.It could happen now to the mavs this year.who knows.
I really belive that there´s more chances that Timmy,Tony and Manu play out of their minds in the playoffs tham they don´t show up at all.And they can make the diference in a game 6 or 7 vs.Dallas,Phoenix,Lakers or whoever.

ggoose25
02-06-2007, 08:01 AM
whats the word on bonner? when is he due back?

ducks
02-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Monday's practice was even longer than Sunday's, which went over two hours and included a lengthy video re-hash of costly mistakes from the Spurs' two losses. The team will have a third-straight practice session — a regular-season rarity — today before leaving for Washington.

film and practice should help the spurs

JPB
02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Barry and Michael Finley put in 30 minutes of extra shooting practice

Wow, 30 minutes !

Watch out, ladies and gentlemen, those guys are gonna kick ass.

steppy
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
whats the word on bonner? when is he due back?

I saw him running on a treadmill in the background during a newscast when they were interviewing someone. I'm not sure of the limits of his injury but that has to be a good sign that it won't be much longer.

Louae
02-06-2007, 09:42 AM
but we just got short by one bad faul in game 6 last year.It could happen now to the mavs this year.who knows.
I really belive that there´s more chances that Timmy,Tony and Manu play out of their minds in the playoffs tham they don´t show up at all.And they can make the diference in a game 6 or 7 vs.Dallas,Phoenix,Lakers or whoever.

Or we can hope that the refs foul out Dirk to help us win game 2, foul out Jason Terry to help us win Game 3 and get us to the free throw line 8 out of 10 possessions to end regulation and 5 out of 9 possessions to end overtime to win us Game 5. :madrun

It could happen! :smokin

After all, it happened last year for the Mavs.

BgT
02-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Wow, 30 minutes !

Watch out, ladies and gentlemen, those guys are gonna kick ass.

:lol :lol

ArgSpursFan
02-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Or we can hope that the refs foul out Dirk to help us win game 2, foul out Jason Terry to help us win Game 3 and get us to the free throw line 8 out of 10 possessions to end regulation and 5 out of 9 possessions to end overtime to win us Game 5. :madrun

It could happen! :smokin

After all, it happened last year for the Mavs.

I can tell that you are a beliver.
In other hands,I must say that the spurs can win a serie vs Dallas with Dirt,Terry and even Cuban on the floor.it´s just a matter of who makes the best play and the best stop in the final minute of a game 6 or 7.

dougp
02-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Actually I think it means Duncan stands under the board, and instead of shooting, Barry and Finley look at the basket for 5 seconds before Bowen jumps into their face (late) after they pass it to Duncan. He rolls in, goes up soft and misses and by then everyone is on the other side of the court.

So we got:

Our shooters not taking shots - check
Bowen missing coverage and jumping in the face late - check
Duncan going up soft like he's Yao - check

Our entire team not getting an offensive rebound with out an opposing teams player on the court - priceless.

smeagol
02-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Barry hitting 46.6% of his 3s does not seem enough for SpursFans.

I guess people want those threes to be clutch too.

cheguevara
02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
He must have meant 1000 bricks all by Finley or he's smoking crack.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
He must have meant 1000 bricks all by Finley or he's smoking crack.
That or he's not getting laid.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-06-2007, 08:13 PM

The Spurs will need more than those three to show up to have any chance at all. And not only is it highly unlikely that they won't, there's is probably greater possibility that Duncan, Parker, and Manu will not all play excellent every single game.

Not that I'm saying it can't happen. But everything, including things the Spurs won't be in control of--refs, opposing teams missing open shots, other team fouling without any purpose, missed free throws--will have to go their way.