PDA

View Full Version : No James White in the dunk contest.

caŽlo
02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
will he still be eligible to join next year if he happens to get playing time?

http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/

J.T.
02-06-2007, 02:14 AM
The Spurs officially suck if that wasn't completely clear after back-to-back loses last week that were perfectly winnable until late chokefests.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 03:40 AM
I think he was eligible this year but he just wasn't invited to participate.

bpl
02-06-2007, 03:42 AM
Does Anybody Have Video I Want 2 C What He Can Do

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 03:46 AM
Does Anybody Have Video I Want 2 C What He Can Do
James "Flight" White (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w&mode=related&search=)

Please_dont_ban_me
02-06-2007, 08:12 AM
James "Flight" White (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w&mode=related&search=)

I know Kori's not a fan of posting NBA videos. But I haven't seen that one, and it was nice to get a look at his jump shot. It's hard to tell from 2-3 short clips but it seems like at least his release isn't ugly. Also he shoots it in the flow of the game pretty well. Doesn't seem forced.

I really want to see this guy get some minutes. See what he can do against NBA level defenses.

Texas_Ranger
02-06-2007, 08:49 AM
No surprise. He didn't play 1 second in the NBA.

Texas_Ranger
02-06-2007, 08:59 AM

The music sounds like White is dead.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 10:35 AM
No surprise. He didn't play 1 second in the NBA.
I don't know how you got that from the video? Its nothing but clips of his dunks from high school and college career. I wont post the link to it because its NBA video, but go to you tube and search James White first NBA dunk.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
The music sounds like White is dead.
The song is called "The Worlds Greatest" by R-Kelly.

FromWayDowntown
02-06-2007, 11:38 AM
It's truly shocking that a guy who's never played a second in an NBA game wouldn't be among the 4 players across the league who were invited to participate in an all-star weekend festivity. I am shocked.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-06-2007, 11:44 AM
It's truly shocking that a guy who's never played a second in an NBA game wouldn't be among the 4 players across the league who were invited to participate in an all-star weekend festivity. I am shocked.

I don't mind the fact that he's not in it, I mind that Dwight Howard and Tyrus Thomas are in it, when in reality they have no shot to win it

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-06-2007, 11:58 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070205bullsbits,1,3172483.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Thomas only dunking for dough

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

February 6, 2007

SALT LAKE CITY -- Perhaps Tyrus Thomas will display more energy and enthusiasm during the slam-dunk contest than he did Monday in discussing his participation.

Asked if he were excited about becoming the first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event as part of All-Star weekend, Thomas barely looked up from untying his shoes.

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

Asked if an opportunity to rub elbows with some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, Thomas kept unlacing.

"I'm just into the free money," he said. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas makes $3.26 million.

The winner gets $35,000. The runner-up receives $22,500. Third and fourth place are worth $16,125.

Thomas' competition is Orlando's Dwight Howard, Boston's Gerald Green and defending champion Nate Robinson of the Knicks.

Michael Jordan will serve as a judge along with heavyweights Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter. This slightly stirred Thomas.

"I might have to break out some tapes of old contests," he said. "But I'm just taking it for what it's worth."

Jordan is the event's only back-to-back winner, and his winning dunk from the foul line at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 still resonates with Bulls fans.

Copyright Š 2007, The Chicago Tribune

caŽlo
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
thought he played when he was on the pacers.

TDMVPDPOY
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
that slam dunk trophy has his fuckn name engraved on it even b4 he declared to enter the nba, dude whoever fuckn jumps and does any freestyle dunks from ft line = automatic champion.

too bad stern robbed him from it, with the help of popabitch

AFBlue
02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
thought he played when he was on the pacers.

In the preaseason. Technically I guess you could say that he's been in an NBA game, but those games don't count for anything...

T Park
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
too bad stern robbed him from it, with the help of popabitch

amoebas have more intelligence than you.

STFU already.

SequSpur
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
amoebas have more intelligence than you.

STFU already.

Is the carnival slow today?

FromWayDowntown
02-06-2007, 02:58 PM
This is laughable. Why on earth should a D-Leaguer be in the dunk contest.

It's ridiculous. James White can't even get minutes and yet, somehow, the league was supposed to pluck him off the Spurs' bench and highlight him during all-star weekend. If James White was on the Pacers' roster right now and in the same situation, all of these clowns wouldn't even know who he was; but, since he's on the Spurs' roster, he's a potential dunk champion who's being done wrong by Popovich and the league AND the likely savior of the Spurs' franchise.

I'm sure the league has just decided to hold James White back -- probably because he plays for the Spurs.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't know how you got that from the video? Its nothing but clips of his dunks from high school and college career. I wont post the link to it because its NBA video, but go to you tube and search James White first NBA dunk.

Didn't you already do that a few posts up?

Kori Ellis
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Didn't you already do that a few posts up?

The link you quoted isn't NBA video. James White has never played in an NBA game.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
The link you quoted isn't NBA video. James White has never played in an NBA game.

Ah, that's right.

Doesn't the NCAA care about the copyrights on it's videos?

Kori Ellis
02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Ah, that's right.

Doesn't the NCAA care about the copyrights on it's videos?

Probably.

But our rules are about NBA game video.

MI21
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
It's ridiculous. James White can't even get minutes and yet, somehow, the league was supposed to pluck him off the Spurs' bench and highlight him during all-star weekend. If James White was on the Pacers' roster right now and in the same situation, all of these clowns wouldn't even know who he was; but, since he's on the Spurs' roster, he's a potential dunk champion who's being done wrong by Popovich and the league AND the likely savior of the Spurs' franchise.

I'm sure the league has just decided to hold James White back -- probably because he plays for the Spurs.

I see what you are getting at, but it's not because he is on the Spurs roster that some of us think he can be a Dunk Champion, it's because he would be a heavy favourite.

Have you seen some of the dunks he can do? FT Line Through the Legs, FT Line Windmill, FT Line Two Hands Double Pump...it's ridiculous.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2007, 12:16 AM
NBA contests are for NBA players.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-07-2007, 12:39 AM
I see what you are getting at, but it's not because he is on the Spurs roster that some of us think he can be a Dunk Champion, it's because he would be a heavy favourite.

Have you seen some of the dunks he can do? FT Line Through the Legs, FT Line Windmill, FT Line Two Hands Double Pump...it's ridiculous.
Agreed, I think he went a little overboard with his rant there but I understand what he's trying to get across. I can only speak for myself when I say that I pay close attention to the college game and was very well aware of James White's freakish athletic ability. It's no surprise that a player who has yet to play a single minute in the NBA not get an invitation to the dunk contest.

sabar
02-07-2007, 02:56 AM
http://dunkers23.googlepages.com/jameswhite

Scroll down to James White Dunk Contest

Some other stuff there. Would like to see him participate in an all star dunk contest before he loses too much athleticism. I think that video shows he 42" off the ground.

Sam
02-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Who gives a shit...he can't play. I'm sure there are a lot of playground players that can jump out of the gym. Hell let's just invite them to the dunk contest.

FromWayDowntown
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Agreed, I think he went a little overboard with his rant there but I understand what he's trying to get across. I can only speak for myself when I say that I pay close attention to the college game and was very well aware of James White's freakish athletic ability. It's no surprise that a player who has yet to play a single minute in the NBA not get an invitation to the dunk contest.

I don't think I went overboard at all. At this point, James White is not an NBA player, except in the most literal sense. Until he sees playing time in NBA games, it strikes me as pretty much asinine to think that he should be invited to compete in All-Star weekend events. If there was a kid in the D-League who had been a ridiculous 3-point shooter in college but hadn't yet played in the NBA, none of the White-pimpers here would be arguing for that kid to compete in the 3-point shootout.

And I don't think any of you would be arguing for White as a potential dunk contest participant if he was on, say, the Mavericks' roster and hadn't yet played in a game.

The argument for James White to participate in any select NBA event is horrendously premature -- if he proves that he can play in the NBA, things might be different. But for now, he's a D-Leaguer who's suited up for exactly 2 NBA games without ever getting on the floor.

MI21
02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
And I don't think any of you would be arguing for White as a potential dunk contest participant if he was on, say, the Mavericks' roster and hadn't yet played in a game.

His dunking is so incredible I've been saying he could win the NBA Dunk Comp since I saw him in the High School dunk comp. I would be propping him for the NBA Dunk Comp even if he was playing in Australia :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM
His dunking is so incredible I've been saying he could win the NBA Dunk Comp since I saw him in the High School dunk comp. I would be propping him for the NBA Dunk Comp even if he was playing in Australia :lol

Then I guess you would support opening up the competition to the And-1 crew or playground ballas with great hops.

I don't. If you don't play in the NBA, I don't see any argument for why you should be selected for a premier event on All-Star Weekend.

yavozerb
02-07-2007, 05:01 PM
I just read on hoops hype rumor page that the league is trying to remove thomas from the dunk competetion resulting from his comments. Maybe if white can play tonight he would take over that spot. Probably be the only reason I would watch it!!

caŽlo
02-07-2007, 09:00 PM
at least hes in the dleague allstar :) hehe

MI21
02-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Then I guess you would support opening up the competition to the And-1 crew or playground ballas with great hops.

I don't. If you don't play in the NBA, I don't see any argument for why you should be selected for a premier event on All-Star Weekend.

Im not arguing that. Im arguing the fact that some people think that certain people are only hyping him as a Dunker because he is a Spur, which isn't the case.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Im not arguing that. Im arguing the fact that some people think that certain people are only hyping him as a Dunker because he is a Spur, which isn't the case.
Exactly.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Not true, ever heard of Pops Mensah-Bonsu or Maurice Ager(both who play in the D-League)? Those guys would probably fair well in a dunk contest as well as White.

The argument for James White to participate in any select NBA event is horrendously premature -- if he proves that he can play in the NBA, things might be different. But for now, he's a D-Leaguer who's suited up for exactly 2 NBA games without ever getting on the floor.
I think your confusing White with other D-Leaguers who aren't signed with a team. Yeah he hasn't played a single game with the Spurs, but it seems like Pop has him on the Stephan Jackson program. So I expect him to work himself in the rotations next year. And BTW he is going to participate in an All Star Event (http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/dleague/) . :D

ChumpDumper
02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Dude barely dunks in the D-League.

Sam
02-08-2007, 06:42 AM
And for him to take part in D-League All Star game or dunk contest, he must be back on Austin's roster by Feb. 12th or he will be replaced.

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Not true, ever heard of Pops Mensah-Bonsu or Maurice Ager(both who play in the D-League)? Those guys would probably fair well in a dunk contest as well as White.

That those guys might fare well is quite different than being indignant or suprised or even disappointed that the league didn't invite them. If they would fare well, why isn't the James White Crew equally indignant about the fact that they weren't invited to participate as well.

Again, if James White were on any other roster, the fact that he was among the several hundred NBA players not invited to participate in the Dunk Contest would have drawn virtually no notice around here.

I think your confusing White with other D-Leaguers who aren't signed with a team. Yeah he hasn't played a single game with the Spurs, but it seems like Pop has him on the Stephan Jackson program. So I expect him to work himself in the rotations next year. And BTW he is going to participate in an All Star Event (http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/dleague/) . :D

I noted, in another thread, that if the D-League All Star game has a dunk contest attached to it, I'd guess that James White should be allowed to participate in that. The two things are very different.

I'm not confusing White with anyone -- he's a guy who hadn't ever played in an NBA game at the time the invitations for the Dunk Contest went out, whether he's on an NBA roster or not. Because he's never played, it's completely unreasonable to think that he'd be among the 4 players selected to participate in that competition. If the NBA All-Star Weekend included a dunk contest for guys who are in the D-League, again, I could see it. But this homerific view of James White is ridiculous. Let's find out if the kid can play -- Pop obviously thinks he's not yet ready -- before we start crowning him or getting upset that he's not being asked to participate in All-Star weekend events.