PDA

View Full Version : Kori, SpursWoman, Shelly and other former Easy Bake Oven Users!

Solid D
02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
They don't make 'em like they used to... :madrun
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/06/news/companies/easybake_recall/index.htm?cnn=yes

Nearly 1 million Hasbro toy ovens recalled

Toy manufacturer warns that kids' fingers can become stuck in the oven's opening, possibly causing serious burn injuries.
February 6 2007: 7:49 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Toy manufacturer Hasbro and the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Tuesday recalled 985,000 Easy-Bake toy ovens after finding that kids' fingers can get caught in the oven's opening, thereby posing serious risk of burns.

The CPSC said it has received 29 reports of children getting their hands or fingers caught in the oven's opening, including five reports of burns.

http://i.cnn.net/money/2007/02/06/news/companies/easybake_recall/easy_bake.03.jpg
Kids' fingers can get stuck in the Easy-Bake Oven's opening, causing serious risk of burns.

The Easy-Bake Oven being recalled is a purple and pink plastic oven that resembles a kitchen range with four burners on top and a front-loading oven.

"Easy Bake" is printed on the front of the toy ovens that were made in China. Model number 65805 and "Hasbro" are stamped into the plastic on the back of the oven.

The CPSC said the Easy Bake Oven is an electric toy and is not recommended for children under eight years of age.

The Ovens, manufactured by Hasbro (Charts), the No. 2 toymaker after Mattel (Charts), were sold at Toys R Us, Wal-Mart (Charts), Target (Charts), KB Toys and other retailers nationwide from May 2006 through February 2007, priced at about $25.

Ovens sold before May 2006 are not included in this recall, the agency said.

The CPSC said consumers should contact Easy-Bake between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET to receive a free retrofit kit with consumer warning. Additionally, consumers can contact Easy-Bake at 800-601-8418, or visit the firm's Web site at www.easybake.com.

leemajors
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
i just think of the happy cake episode of sealab 2021 every time i see one of those things.

SpursWoman
02-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I think they are making them exactly like they used to ... I used to burn my fingers on that damn thing all of the time. :oops

Now the little girls are just a bunch of over-protected wussies. :spin

Solid D
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
:lol

Kori Ellis
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I think they are making them exactly like they used to ... I used to burn my fingers on that damn thing all of the time. :oops

Now the little girls are just a bunch of over-protected wussies. :spin

Don't you have an original one?

It's funny that the cake you can make actually taste like cake.

Solid D
02-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Kori, your post reminded me that my sister had one of the early models and I was her taste-test-sampler, sometimes victim. I googled Easy Bake Oven History and found this....

http://www.hasbro.com/easybake/default.cfm?page=History

http://www.hasbro.com/easybake/default.cfm?page=History/Timeline

EASY-BAKE Timeline:Over the past 40 years there have been 11 EASY-BAKE Oven models. Since 1963, each revision reflected the colors and oven styles of their day. Here are some fun facts to tickle your EASY-BAKE I.Q.:

In 1963: America's first working toy oven, was turquoise and had a carrying handle and fake stove top. It was invented by designers at Kenner Products (now a division of Hasbro). In its first year, over 500,000 lucky kids talked their parents into spending $15.95. By its fifth birthday, the EASY-BAKE Oven was a household name.

In 1965: Hasbro introduces the Easy-Pop Corn Popper, Bubble gum set, Birthday Cake, Party set and Kid Dinners - these were mini TV-dinner-like trays partitioned into three sections to hold beef and macaroni, peas and carrots. I know, I know, (be still my stomach) but hey kids were eating their vegetables.

In 1968: General Mills creates very cool miniature boxed versions of its Betty Crocker products for the EASY-BAKE Oven. I still have some - unopened, of course.

In 1969: The Premier avocado green (which matched the shag carpet) EASY-BAKE Oven came out with more dials, a fake clock and even an oven hood.

In 1970: Avocado green was replaced by harvest gold (ah, the 70's) when the new Super duper EASY-BAKE Oven -- hit the market. It baked cakes up to twice as big as the original model and included a working 20-minute timer. 20 minutes? I thought it was 12. No wonder my cookies never crumbled.

In 1973: Since the world needed more snacks, The EASY-BAKE Potato Chip Maker makes the scene.

In 1978: The country's favorite oven goes high tech with an orange, white and brown Mini-Wave Oven that resembled a microwave. It also had a mock digital clock that always said 12:30. Mock my eye, if it constantly read 12:30, it looked just like the clock on my microwave… my TV, my coffeemaker…

In the 80's: The new EASY-BAKE Dual-Temp Oven let you bake treats on "high" or "low." And, once again got a fashion maker-over - like Mom's new appliances --- white was the new black.

In 1993: The EASY-BAKE Oven & new Snack Center (with a warming tray to melt toppings) was pretty in pink.

By 1997: With more than 16 million EASY-BAKE Ovens having been sold, the product line expands to include even more delectable edibles; Crème Pups Bake Set made little cake sandwiches, All My Love Chocolates kit made candy, Tiny Turnovers Bake Set made pastries. Also, EASY-BAKE crosses the T's and dots the I's with Kellogg's pop-tarts, M&M's, Dunkin' Donuts and Oreo Cookies… oh, stop drooling.

In 2003: EASY-BAKE Oven turns 40 and introduces the Real Meal Oven allowing kids to make full meals with their EASY-BAKE Oven including Macaroni & Cheese, Pizza and even French Fries. Additionally, Easy-Bake takes on a brand new modern look with the new updated Deluxe microwave style oven design.

In 2006: EASY-BAKE Oven goes back to the classic style with its brand new pink EASY-BAKE Oven. This range-style oven looks just like mom’s oven today. And the biggest news of all – no more light-bulb! Using a new heating system the latest EASY-BAKE Oven bakes up some of the tastiest cakes and cookies to date.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
In 1969: The Premier avocado green (which matched the shag carpet) EASY-BAKE Oven came out with more dials, a fake clock and even an oven hood.

In 1970: Avocado green was replaced by harvest gold (ah, the 70's) when the new Super duper EASY-BAKE Oven -- hit the market. It baked cakes up to twice as big as the original model and included a working 20-minute timer. 20 minutes? I thought it was 12. No wonder my cookies never crumbled.

I'm not sure if I had the green one or the gold one. I think the green one and then we got a second one, which might have been gold.

Solid D
02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
This vintage 1960's Kenner Easy Bake Oven is on E-bay for anyone interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230089134722&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=230085558046&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget#ebayphotohosting

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/8a/04/b94a_1.JPG

Why am I talking about ovens? :( Out.

SequSpur
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
My wife uses hers to make me pie.

ShoogarBear
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
My wife uses hers to make me pie.Too easy, Drill Sergeant, waaaaay too easy!

Kori Ellis
02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
This vintage 1960's Kenner Easy Bake Oven is on E-bay for anyone interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230089134722&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=230085558046&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget#ebayphotohosting

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/8a/04/b94a_1.JPG

Why am I talking about ovens? :( Out.

No that I see that one, I remember that mine was gold.

Shelly
02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I never had an Easy Bake Oven :(

What I really wanted was a Big Wheel. I didn't get that either.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I never had an Easy Bake Oven :(

What I really wanted was a Big Wheel. I didn't get that either.

What the hell? You never had a Big Wheel? How is that possible in our era?

AlamoSpursFan
02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Why did they even bother putting that seat back on the Big Wheel? I don't think anyone actually used it...

Little ASF has something called "Real Meal" which makes all kinds of shit. It's like a little kid's microwave oven or something...

Solid D
02-07-2007, 05:54 PM
No EBO and no Big Wheel? I sure hope SpursWoman feels reaaaaaaally bad about putting Shelly in that freezer, after that deprived childhood!

Shelly
02-07-2007, 05:54 PM
What the hell? You never had a Big Wheel? How is that possible in our era?

I don't know!! I probably didn't have one because when we lived in Ohio, we always had gravel driveways.

That or my parents hated me. :depressed

Kori Ellis
02-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't know!! I probably didn't have one because when we lived in Ohio, we always had gravel driveways.

That or my parents hated me. :depressed

We had a gravel driveway too, but didn't you have any sidewalks in Ohio? :lmao

Shelly
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
We had a gravel driveway too, but didn't you have any sidewalks in Ohio? :lmao

No...we lived back in the woods.

In fact, none of the streets in the town I lived in had sidewalks.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
No...we lived back in the woods.

In fact, none of the streets in the town I lived in had sidewalks.

Well then, your parents should have gotten you a Big ATV instead of a Big Wheel. :p:

Shelly
02-07-2007, 06:02 PM

AlamoSpursFan
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Green Machine>Big Wheel