PDA

View Full Version : Snickers pulls plug on Super Bowl smooch ad

AlamoSpursFan
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
We're here, we're queer...

...and we're OFFENDED!!!!

This story should have been headlined: "Gay Community has no sense of humor" :rolleyes

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/06/news/companies/snickers/index.htm?cnn=yes

Snickers pulls plug on Super Bowl smooch ad
Masterfoods kills ad that showed two men 'kissing' after objections by gay rights groups.
February 6 2007: 3:24 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- After a number of groups objected, Masterfoods USA, the maker of Snickers candy bars, has pulled the plug on a controversial Super Bowl commercial that showed two men accidentally kissing.

The 30-second commercial featured two mechanics who end up sharing both a Snickers bar and an inadvertent kiss, and then react by pulling out a clump of chest hair to "do something manly."

On its Web site, the candy maker posted three alternate endings to the commercial and reactions from NFL players.

Groups such as the Human Right Campaign and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) condemned the ad, saying it promoted anti-gay prejudice and condoned violence against gay Americans.

"That Snickers, Mars and the NFL would promote and endorse this kind of prejudice is simply inexcusable," GLAAD President Neil Giuliano said in a statement.

Masterfoods USA is a subsidiary of closely held Mars Inc.

Viewers were supposed to be able to go to www.SnickersSatisfies.com or www.afterthekiss.com Web sites to view the alternate endings and vote on their favorite which would air later this month. Visitors to the site are now redirected to the Snickers' home page.

Masterfoods, which has discontinued the ad campaign, said the intent of the ad was not to offend, and noted that feedback from its target audience had been positive.

"We know that humor is highly subjective and understand that some people may have found the ad offensive. Clearly that was not our intent," Masterfoods said in a statement. "As with all of our Snickers advertising, our goal was to capture the attention of our core Snickers consumer."

The ad, which was produced by TBWA/Chiat/Day New York, is the first time since 2001 that a Snickers spot was featured in the Super Bowl.

Extra Stout
02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I saw that ad, and thought it was making light of how men are insecure in their masculinity over stuff like that.

But then 2 seconds later, I was overcome by an uncontrollable urge to go beat up some gays.

02-06-2007, 05:58 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/Adragontattoo/Digi%20pics%20to%20be%20sorted/Random%20stuff/ow-buttsex.gif

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
So are the ad execs who made this commercial going to go into therapy to help them figure out why they hate gays so much that they made a commercial that offensive?

CuckingFunt
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Clearly a homophobic ad, but there's so much of that anymore that I didn't particularly find it offensive.

Super Bowl ads this year, however, did make it clear that fats (the overweight checker who gets orgasmic over Doritos) and gays are still the only groups with the green light for ridicule. Nice to know some things are consistent.

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
If a gay dude kissed a chick and then had to decorate a house interior to prove his gayness would the straights be mad.

AlamoSpursFan
02-06-2007, 06:07 PM
If a gay dude kissed a chick and then had to decorate a house interior to prove his gayness would the straights be mad.

Sounds more like an episode of Will and Grace.

td4mvp21
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
You know, they need to get over it. It's a fucking commericial.

Pistons < Spurs
02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
What a bunch of crap. Get over all this 'I'm offended' bullshit.

Fillmoe
02-06-2007, 06:23 PM
people get so butt hurt(no pun intended) over shit now and days its not even funny..... fuck faggots and fuck snickers for making a gay ass commercial.....

CharlieMac
02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Alright.... this year we have gays and fast food employees offended over Superbowl commercials. Anyone else? Cavemen maybe...?

Mr. Peabody
02-06-2007, 06:30 PM
people get so butt hurt(no pun intended) .....

I don't think that would be a pun even if you really wanted it to be one.

Bob Lanier
02-06-2007, 06:48 PM
What a bunch of crap. Get over all this 'I'm offended' bullshit.
:lol

boutons_
02-06-2007, 06:57 PM
the ad was probably dreamed up by gay "creative" types at the ad agency. :lol

DarkReign
02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I saw that ad, and thought it was making light of how men are insecure in their masculinity over stuff like that.

But then 2 seconds later, I was overcome by an uncontrollable urge to go beat up some gays.

:lmao

DarkReign
02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
The easily offended are ego sensitive.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
What's that supposed to mean, DR?

FU!

boutons_
02-06-2007, 07:15 PM
"uncontrollable urge to go beat up some gays."

... beating is sometimes proceeded by the beaters getting a blow job first. :lol

ChumpDumper
02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
They should remake that commercial with the two guys totally making out after the accidental kiss, then put up the words "Happy now?" on the screen.

matt foley
02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
playing victim gives a group a sense of power and unfortunately at times, identity. :dramaquee

Bob Lanier
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
playing victim gives a group a sense of power
All Americans consider themselves victims. It's one of the central marks of your national character.

That doesn't mean that some people aren't actually victimized, and homosexuals certainly are.

That said, the responses to the criticisms of this ad are a lot more telling than the ad itself, which is just foolish.

LuvBones
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
"cry me a river"

01Snake
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
The Homophobia on this site makes me ill. Gays deserve equal rights just like blacks.

Signed,
turambar85

CuckingFunt
02-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Gays deserve equal rights just like blacks.

What that intended sarcastically?

BeerIsGood!
02-07-2007, 03:07 AM
I personally didn't care much for the commercial although it was fairly funny. I would have preferred this commercial instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIQ5YmSqtI&mode=related&search=

DarkReign
02-07-2007, 08:06 AM
What that intended sarcastically?

Its a political forum thing....those 2 are secretly in love.

Shhhh....

Jimcs50
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Snickers ad pulled after complaints from gay groups
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
Associated Press
Posted: 1 day ago

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. (AP) -

A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.
The ad showed two auto mechanics accidentally kissing while eating the same candy bar and then ripping out some chest hair to do something "manly." One of the alternate endings on the Snickers Web site showed the men attacking each other.

The Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation complained to the maker of Snickers, Hackettstown-based Masterfoods USA, a division of Mars Inc., which also makes M&M's and other candies.

The Web site also featured video of players from the Super Bowl teams reacting to the kiss.

"This type of jeering from professional sports figures at the sight of two men kissing fuels the kind of anti-gay bullying that haunts countless gay and lesbian school children on playgrounds all across the country," Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said in a statement.

GLAAD spokesman Marc McCarthy said Tuesday the group believed "this kind of prejudice was inexcusable."

Masterfoods spokeswoman Alice Nathanson issued a statement in which she said the company would stop running the ad on television and the Web site.

"As with all of our Snickers advertising, our goal was to capture the attention of our core Snickers consumer," Nathanson wrote.

"Feedback from our target consumers has been positive. In addition, many media and website commentators of this year's Super Bowl commercial line-up ranked the commercial among this year's top ten best. USA Today ranked it #9 of its top ten picks," she continued.

"We know that humor is highly subjective and understand that some people may have found the ad offensive. Clearly that was not our intent," she wrote.

Masterfoods brands include Uncle Ben's rice, Pedigree dog food and Whiskas cat food. It is part of Mars Inc., a family-owned company.

Louae
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Good. I didn't want to see that commercial again, anyway.

Jimcs50
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Again, we let a small minority dictate our social conscious and freedoms.

What the fuck is wrong with this country?

I thought the ad was harmless fun. Are we not supposed to act like if we accidently kissed another man (as a hetero sexual) would not make us feel uncomfortable, and not try to be "manly" after the occurance.

I think is is ok to not be a homosexual and to be turned off by it, yes?

:rolleyes

IX_Equilibrium
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Sounds like some people don't have a sense of humor. The commercial was not homophobic. There is nothing wrong with two straight guys who are repulsed by the idea of kissing another man.

Mixability
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59678

Jimcs50
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM

I thought the ad was harmless fun. Are we not supposed to act like if we accidently kissed another man (as a hetero sexual) would not make us feel uncomfortable, and not try to be "manly" after the occurance.

Jimcs50
02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59678

WTF kind of title is that. How was I supposed to know that was the same subject?

:rolleyes

tlongII
02-08-2007, 10:39 AM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59787

cornbread
02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
At least we'll never see that crappy commercial again.

CuckingFunt
02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Sounds like some people don't have a sense of humor. The commercial was not homophobic. There is nothing wrong with two straight guys who are repulsed by the idea of kissing another man.Oh, it's definitely homophobic.

The commercial doesn't just depict two men who are momentarily grossed out by the fact that they almost accidentally kissed. It shows two men with the attitude that being thought of as homosexual is the greatest possible indignity in the world. They're reaction to the kiss isn't "ew, gross, I almost kissed you," it's "I'd rather rip out a patch of chest hair than have someone think, even for a second, that I'm a sick faggot." That's homophobic. And that's why the gay community is offended.

If it were two white guys who were momentarily mistaken for black and reacted to it with repulsion and a need to prove their whiteness, no one would question the commercial as racist, offensive and inappropriate.

Worst thing of all, however, is that it wasn't even funny. I'd stick up for something offensive if it at least made me chuckle.

resistanze
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59787

:lol

DarkReign
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
^ that analogy doesnt fit at all. Whereas the world is filled with muiltiple cultures, there are only 2 sorts of sexuality...hetero or homo.

Sexual Orientation != Race

DarkReign
02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Another thing, if homosexuals cant understand that most heteros find 2 guys kissing to be one of the more revolting things in all the land, then I really dont care.

It will never be accepted or marginalized. Its gross.

Still, a stupid commercial.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Much ado about nothing.

tlongII
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Another thing, if homosexuals cant understand that most heteros find 2 guys kissing to be one of the more revolting things in all the land, then I really dont care.

It will never be accepted or marginalized. Its gross.

Still, a stupid commercial.

I agree with this. I don't have any hatred against gay people. At least I don't think I do. I have some gay friends and I like them a lot. However, the thought of kissing another man makes me want to throw up.

01Snake
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree with this. However, the thought of kissing another man makes me want to throw up.

Yup.

Sportcamper
02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I don’t think the initial reaction was about the commercial...It is about the “you tube alternate endings” and the Colt players all saying...That aint right...

"Love Boat" ending
A third guy walks in and stands between the two men, looking them over. "Is there room for three," the man says, flipping his longer hair back as though he's Cher, "on this love boat?"
"Motor Oil" ending
After one of the mechanics says, "Quick, do something manly," they drink motor oil and windshield wiper fluid, screaming.
"Wrench" ending
"Quick, do something manly." One hits the other in the stomach with a wrench and one bashes the other in the head with the hood of the car.

Spurminator
02-08-2007, 12:29 PM
The commercial doesn't just depict two men who are momentarily grossed out by the fact that they almost accidentally kissed. It shows two men with the attitude that being thought of as homosexual is the greatest possible indignity in the world. They're reaction to the kiss isn't "ew, gross, I almost kissed you," it's "I'd rather rip out a patch of chest hair than have someone think, even for a second, that I'm a sick faggot." That's homophobic. And that's why the gay community is offended.

The very ridiculousness of the men's reaction could be seen as a commentary on the ridiculousness of homophobia itself. I'm sure that's not what Snickers intended, but intent is rarely a concern in this kind of PC outrage.

Sportcamper
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
It was a bad commercial...Snickers had to know it was going to offend...I am switching to Baby Ruth! (http://daddytypes.com/archive/baby_ruth_pool.jpg)

Jimcs50
02-08-2007, 12:54 PM
It was a bad commercial...Snickers had to know it was going to offend...I am switching to Baby Ruth! (http://daddytypes.com/archive/baby_ruth_pool.jpg)

Baby Ruth???

How can you support a candybar that obviously supports a hard drinking, cursing, beer swilling, womanizing Yankee? What kind of message is that for our children????

Fabbs
02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
If a gay dude kissed a chick and then had to decorate a house interior to prove his gayness would the straights be mad. :lol :lol

eriks
Alright.... this year we have gays and fast food employees offended over Superbowl commercials. Anyone else? Cavemen maybe...? :lol

IX_Equilibrium
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
^ that analogy doesnt fit at all.

Exactly. That post wasn't even worth replying to because it made no sense.