PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker vs. Dwyane Wade

timvp
11-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Could this be a matchup of the future of the point guard position? Wade is off to an amazing start and is a load to handle. Parker is off to a slow start but anyone who has any scouting abilities at all knows that he's going to be a very, very good point guard. It'll be interesting to see what will win: Wade's strength or Parker's speed.

Stat of the day: Parker is actually younger than Wade. :hat

Kori Ellis
11-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Hopefully Wade plays.

Heat injuries: Wade (sprained left ankle) is questionable

He twisted it last night in their loss.

BigVee
11-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Hopefully, he doesn't.

grjr
11-12-2004, 03:38 PM
After watching a couple Heat games this year I have a question. Is Shaq even the best player on his own team?

RobinsontoDuncan
11-12-2004, 03:38 PM
sorry kori but i have to go with BigVee, wade is dominating, and after four years of hearing about how Parker is going to reach his potential i have come to the conclusion he already has.

Medvedenko
11-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Chucky Atkins>Wade>Parker...
Ok, I'm an ass today....I believe Wade is playing better right now than Parker, and Wade gets a little more freedom than Parker due to the offence. Still, Wade has the edge.

adidas11
11-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Wade has the edge at this moment. So far this season (and it's still very early), Parker has been a disappointment.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-12-2004, 03:51 PM
the guy gets paid 66 million just for running around in a gym all day playing a game and he has sucked ass

1Parker1
11-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Its been 4 games people ! There's still 78 games left to be played. You think Tony will continue to play this bad? Likewise, you think Manu can honestly continue to average 21 ppg? By midseason, I expect Parker and Manu will be back to their average self. Tony averaging somewhere around 16 ppg, and Manu 15.

Spurminator
11-12-2004, 05:13 PM
R2D2 is in hysterical panic mode today.

King
11-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Hopefully Wade plays.

He twisted it last night in their loss.

He was in a walking cast when he came in town last night. Could be a precaution, because he didn't look like he was limping much. Looked more serious than a tweak, though.

Kori Ellis
11-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Well I hope Wade plays -- Miami only visits once a year and I'd love to see him in action.

Shelly
11-12-2004, 06:25 PM
He's not playing according to KSAT

GrandeDavid
11-12-2004, 06:51 PM
TP may have the quicks, but Wade at the point poses a tough matchup for Parker in terms of athleticism and size. Wade presumably would have little trouble getting his shot off on Parker when Parker is guarding him. On the other end, though, Tony should be able to hit the lanes.

Nikos
11-12-2004, 06:58 PM
This game got a whole lot less interesting.

Wade isn't playing.

bigzak25
11-12-2004, 06:58 PM
well, i wish it was wade we had under contract for 66 million. but oh well...kick his ass TP!!!

mattyc
11-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Shame Wade sat out. I was looking forward to seeing how the Shaq-Wade combo went up against us.

spursfaninla
11-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I think we lose this game if Wade had played, but we shall never know.

Nikos
11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Who knows. It would make sense that Wade could have easily been the difference. But honestly I thought Shaq was destroying us in the 2nd half. I get the feeling if Wade were around Shaq wouldn't have pounded it in as much. Guys were getting clean looks thanks to Shaq.

If Duncan played a good game I think they could have beat a health heat team. But who knows. Heat still played well, especially Shaq.

Ghost Writer
11-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Parker vs. Wade is like comparing Eddie Curry to Amare Stoudamire

Knickerbocker, please.

IcemanCometh
11-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Wade sees the floor and defends better than Parker, but Parker might become a better scorer.

Also keep in mind Lebron will probably wind up at the point sometime in his career and he's >> Wade + Parker.

IceColdBrewski
11-15-2004, 02:37 PM
There really is no comparison at this point. Wade is already on a level that Parker may never reach.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-15-2004, 07:59 PM
R2D2 is in hysterical panic mode today.

no not really i know that ultimatley success in the playoffs requires one thing, Duncan to hit free throws, parker is unnessisary

SequSpur
11-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Wade > Parker X 2

ShoogarBear
11-15-2004, 10:59 PM
C'mon, now, be serious, folks.

Wade is what you should be thinking of when you're talking about somebody who is a future max contract player. Parker, good as he may eventually be, is not in the same league.

Nikos
11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
If Parker played like he did for a good portion of last playoffs than he is in Wade's league. Unfortunely he wasn't able to maintain that level of play after Game 2.

Ideally I am hoping Parker is somewhere near as good as Wade by seasons end otherwise I don't see why Miami couldn't actually beat the Spurs in a series with a healthy Shaq and Wade. Sure the Spurs are more balanced. But if Wade remains playing like a superstar and the Spurs backcourt remains just a bit above average I don't see why Miami could not be seen as a better team if guys like Udonis Haslem and other role players remain respectable.

Man In Black
11-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Didn't you just answer your own question with this?

I don't see why Miami could not be seen as a better team if guys like Udonis Haslem and other role players remain respectable

It's like the former Lakers, 2 stars and nothing after that. While those 2 will remain constant, MIA hopes that at lest 1 other contributes. I suppose that it could get scary if Shaq actually changed his mindset from that of primary option to best defensive player of the year but...what's the likelihood of that ever happening?

Nikos
11-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Didn't you just answer your own question with this?

It's like the former Lakers, 2 stars and nothing after that. While those 2 will remain constant, MIA hopes that at lest 1 other contributes. I suppose that it could get scary if Shaq actually changed his mindset from that of primary option to best defensive player of the year but...what's the likelihood of that ever happening?

Aside from the dynamic duo of Wade and Shaq they still have Eddie Jones who is capable of solid defense and shooting despite his propensity to underacheive in the playoffs in past years. Udonis Haslem is also a high percentage field goal maker whose hustle and excellent rebounding are a huge asset for Miami. Damon Jones can also hit three pointers at a high percentage and is a decent backup setup man as well. Rasual is a reasonable defender. Doleac is a reasonable backup center.

This team will probably be a very solid defensive team when it is all said and done, and it is reasonable to assume their offense will be up there especially with Shaq's ability to get others high percentage shots. Not to mention Dwayne Wade's ability to score and set others up as well.

If Wade becomes a 22-6-5 type of player, why is it unreasonable to assume the Heat are title contenders?

OM_fever
11-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I can't understand why everybody is still planning a sportslife performance with only 4 games!

I agree Wade have great athletism but that kind of play could not be perform during its all career. He would struggle in some years when opposing with young and physical opponents. The only way to get consistent would be to improve is field goal percentage, and we would only know that at the end of the season.

Please let time before presuming everything. I'm sure TP would improve this year a lot, at least on his shoot with his summer practice. He has just to find his rythm.

I would compare Wade to Carter, just on the type of play, going straight to the rim, penetrating but not with his speed, just with his athletism (which is great). He could be injury prone, much more than Parker is.

Could someone answer me if Wade is a real leader on the floor, meaning he can distribute the game, changing the coach plan & all that stuff expected from a PG?

(about potential, who knows when TP will reach his max, he can improve in so much points like FT, his 3' shoot & all those little thing that can help him a lot to improve his point average (2 FT succeed + 1 3pointers = 5 points, a lot in an average) and game IQ)

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-16-2004, 08:04 PM
I think that any comparison between the two is apples and oranges. While Wade has been rather impressive, he's also had to be. From day one in Miami he had to be the go to guy to make that team work. Parker on the other hand has played his entire NBA career with a team whose offense works from the inside out. Parker has developed under a system where he can afford to have an off night and not have to worry about be crucified the next day, because he's got a two time MVP for a saftey net. Wade has developed a lot more quickly because he's gotten a lot more touches by necessity as much as anything else.

timvp
11-17-2004, 04:14 AM
Very nice post, spurs fan in exile. Welcome to the forum.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Wade is doing now what we all hope Parker will do someday.

Parker ain't bad, but he's not a real floor general and he's inconsistent.

I can't lose sight of the fact that he's still the youngest starting PG in the L.