PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill to the Spurs?

SsKSpurs21
02-07-2007, 01:18 AM
ESPN was reporting this. also heard it on another site.

take it with a grain of salt. there is NOTHING finalized about this, which players are involved and has not been mentioned from the Spurs side. just found it interesting and thought id drop this by.

what are your thoughts on Grant Hill being a Spur?

ChumpDumper
02-07-2007, 01:20 AM
I think its BS unless Hill is bought out by the Magic. And even then I think it's BS.

Link, please.

Ssperester
Remember Pop and Co. wants to get flexiable players not one dimensional. Besides, the Spurs needs to get younger.

Cheers,

Ssperester

Kori Ellis

take it with a grain of salt. there is NOTHING finalized about this, which players are involved and has not been mentioned from the Spurs side. just found it interesting and thought id drop this by.

what are your thoughts on Grant Hill being a Spur?

:wtf

When did you hear it on ESPN?

jaffies
02-07-2007, 01:21 AM
yeah, i was just watching espn and heard nothing

SAtown
02-07-2007, 01:23 AM
We don't need another suit on the bench.

SsKSpurs21
02-07-2007, 01:24 AM
I think its BS unless Hill is bought out by the Magic. And even then I think it's BS.

Link, please.

no link, the commentators were just conversing and they mentioned that "Grant Hill could be in a Spurs uniform by the trade deadline". that was all that was said about it. that is why i posted it here to see if anyone else had heard anything about it. they didnt mention how this would take place or if it was going to.

jaffies
02-07-2007, 01:30 AM
"We're not going to do anything with Grant Hill's contract unless something comes along that knocks our socks off..." -- Otis Smith, Magic general manager

ChumpDumper
02-07-2007, 01:31 AM
no linkWhy would there be no link to another site you "heard" it on?

SsKSpurs21
02-07-2007, 01:34 AM
i read it on another message board, but it was shown on ESPN news on channel 142 dish network. the guys didnt state any hard evidence. i think maybe they were just throwing out ideas. they also didnt talk about it all that much. all they said was "grant hill could be in a spurs uniform by the trade deadline" and that was it.

that is why i came here because you guys have insider knowledge.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Which message board?

milkyway21
02-07-2007, 01:39 AM
am i supposed to say geeee:elephant or whoa :cry ?

there are at least 420 players in the league and Spurs org think Grant Hill is the answer?

I don't know........

SsKSpurs21
02-07-2007, 01:40 AM
ISH. :drunk :depressed :pctoss

like i said, take it with a grain of salt. i saw it on ISH, then i heard it on ESPN news for a brief second and then i came here to see if anyone had posted anything about it. noone did so i made a post wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't even know what that site is.

Regardless, there is zero chance we would trade for him and only a slighty better chance we would sign him were he bought out.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2007, 01:54 AM
i prefer the spurs to go after darko or that dude the magic got from the knicks at sf....

SilverPlayer
02-07-2007, 01:56 AM
This year in 39 games.
15.1 pts

4.2 rbs

2.5 Asts

Egh we could use him. We could use anyone. Plus his contract expires soon doesn't it?

Russ
02-07-2007, 02:03 AM
His wife was (is) a singer who said San Antonio didn't have enough recording studios to suit her. Therefore, they both tried to get Tim Duncan to follow them to that musical mecca, Orlando.

If Grant comes, maybe she can at least try out for American Idol. :)

gospursgojas
02-07-2007, 02:06 AM
If this happens San Antonio will become a team that goes after names, instead of actual ballers

THE SIXTH MAN
02-07-2007, 02:06 AM
His wife was (is) a singer who said San Antonio didn't have enough recording studios to suit her. Therefore, they both tried to get Tim Duncan to follow them to that musical mecca, Orlando.
:lol Wow I didn't know that. How many fucking studios does a person need to record a song?

THE SIXTH MAN
02-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Oh BTW, I saw the show that the thread starter is talking about. It was NBA coast to coast. And they said nothing about any actual deal between the spurs and magic. It was a topic of discussion of Grant Hill being shopped around witch really isn't news. It was more of a should he stay or should he go discussion. And during it I think Marc Stein was the one who suggested that he would be a good fit for the spurs.

timvp
02-07-2007, 02:46 AM
Outgoing
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili

Incoming
Grant Hill

Successful Scenario
Due to San Antonio and Orlando being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. San Antonio and Orlando had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The value of the franchise would rise a good $50-75M.

:smokin

dg7md
02-07-2007, 02:53 AM
A good fit once he gets hurt?

silk
02-07-2007, 02:58 AM
if we can get him for our crap he could be valuable for us and i like the guy a lot. It's a kind of one or two year try-out a short-term deal that could give us a little boost .

SenorSpur
02-07-2007, 03:03 AM
From a talent, skills and chemistry fit, Grant Hill would be an ideal fit for the Spurs. Especially over Finley or Barry.

From a salary standpoint, he makes more $$$ than either Manu or Tony. In fact, I believe he makes somewhere in the Duncan neighborhood.

He's in the final year of his current deal. From that standpoint, I would find it utterly shocking if the Magic were to shop him now. Besides, the Spurs couldn't afford him anyway. They simply don't have enough assets to make a plausible trade partner.

Then there is the age factor. The Spurs desparately need to get younger - not older.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2007, 03:13 AM
we already have enough suckd veterans on teh team, we dont need another one.

lovespurs forever
02-07-2007, 03:14 AM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r51/FMLOVETD/HILL2.jpg
:blah REALLY?Hill is my favorite player beyound the spurs!

silk
02-07-2007, 03:15 AM
yeah but it's not as we would add a veteran. we could probably replace some of our veterans with him...

x_roux_x
02-07-2007, 03:23 AM
yeah but it's not as we would add a veteran. we could probably replace some of our veterans with him...

Possibly...hes probably a sight better then Fins IMO. If he can stay on the floor....

lovespurs forever
02-07-2007, 03:25 AM
His defense is much better than all the bentches of spurs.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:22 AM
I don't know what to think about this.

dg7md
02-07-2007, 05:26 AM
We need a young small forward, so what do we do? SIGN UP GRANT HILL, OF COURSE!

mavsfan1000
02-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Grant Hill would help the spurs on offense. Just put Bruce Bowen on the bench and than Josh Howard can destroy the spurs along with Dirk. No resistance. :D

exstatic
02-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Grant Hill would help the spurs on offense. Just put Bruce Bowen on the bench and than Josh Howard can destroy the spurs along with Dirk. No resistance. :D
Ah, but the flip side is, no more Bowen for that slow ass Dirk to guard.

Maddog
02-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I saw the episode last night, but missed the part where they mentioned the Spurs.
However, I was thinking- he would be a good fit for the Spurs THIS year. He's playing well this season and his contract expires at the end of the season- basicly a 3-4 month rent. Yes the Spurs need to get younger and more athletic but I seriously doubt a reasonable trade is going to come up at the trading deadline.
Where this falls apart is trying to match salaries/giving up asssets for him.

ArgSpursFan
02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Another Retired Old man coming to SA.I think San Antonio will become the next South Florida.(paradise of retired people)

AFBlue
02-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Where this falls apart is trying to match salaries/giving up asssets for him.

Exactly...which makes this thread basically pointless. Chalk it up to "talking heads" doing what they do best....creating news where their is none.

Mr. Body
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
As Maddog said, there's no way to match salaries on this one.

Next.

ploto
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Two words:

Expiring Contract :D

Mr. Body
02-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Two words:

Expiring Contract :D

It would take Brent Barry, Eric Williams, Michael Finley, and Matt Bonner to match Grant Hill's salary.

cheguevara
02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Grant Hill blows.

parker + Manu for hill? :lol

the magic would be my new favorite team!!!

Extra Stout
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
timvp has it right.

Trade Manu and Tony for Grant Hill. When his contract expires, that is more salary off the books.

That also will induce Tim Duncan to exercise his opt-out clause in '08. The Spurs can let him sign with another team, and then his salary is off the books.

Then the Spurs need only to sign enough players to meet the NBA minimum team salary, and they can make a profit in an empty gym.

MrChug
02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
:wtf

When did you hear it on ESPN?

They were expanding on Grant Hills future. About how he only has max 3 years in his career if he stays healthy and that he's interested in playing for a title. He's been pretty vocal about that. They were talking about his leadership ability, lockerroom presence, etc. That's all. Now the COMMENTATORS were talking about how he would fit with the Spurs, but nothing else.

RC's Boss
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM
From a talent, skills and chemistry fit, Grant Hill would be an ideal fit for the Spurs. Especially over Finley or Barry.

From a salary standpoint, he makes more $$$ than either Manu or Tony. In fact, I believe he makes somewhere in the Duncan neighborhood.

He's in the final year of his current deal. From that standpoint, I would find it utterly shocking if the Magic were to shop him now. Besides, the Spurs couldn't afford him anyway. They simply don't have enough assets to make a plausible trade partner.

Then there is the age factor. The Spurs desparately need to get younger - not older.
Yeah he is older and makes quite a bit of dough, but if you know b-ball, you know Grant Hill can ball. Plus some posters keep talking about injuries, but what they have to realize is the injury he has now is minor just like any other player gets. hell Kobe missed games this year. Plus i admire his heart and dedication to coming back from those multiple surgeries he had a few years back (still getting paid didn't hurt). I agree he would be a HUUUUUGE upgrade to our bench, but highly unlikely we'd get him.

RC's Boss
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Maybe he'll take the minimum in the offseason. I know we have to get younger, but Grant is a fucking pro!

cornbread
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM

If Grant comes, maybe she can at least try out for American Idol. :)

:lol :lol :lol None of the greats have ever come to San Antonio to record.
http://www.blues.co.nz/images/news/robert-johnson.gif

G-Money
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I want grant to come back to Detroit!

johnpaulwall21
02-07-2007, 02:50 PM
i would take the mofo!!! Hes prone but hes still would be one of the top shooters on the team. thats pretty good comin off the bench. Sign me up!!!!! :hungry:

AFBlue
02-07-2007, 05:30 PM
They were expanding on Grant Hills future. About how he only has max 3 years in his career if he stays healthy and that he's interested in playing for a title. He's been pretty vocal about that. They were talking about his leadership ability, lockerroom presence, etc. That's all. Now the COMMENTATORS were talking about how he would fit with the Spurs, but nothing else.

Now that sounds like a more feasible conversation. Dump Finley and add Grant...I'd do that in a heartbeat. Hill is a much better "scorer" than any bench option the Spurs have currently...

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-07-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29183

Here's a link from another message board talking about hearing it

BlueShark#6
02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
yawn!

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-07-2007, 11:48 PM
we can dream, but this will NEVER happen

Brutalis
02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
I would LOVE HILL!!!

Unselfish!
Team player!
Good attitude!
Smart veteran!
HELLZ BELLZ LETZ DOOEET!

RON ARTEST
02-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Grant makes 16 or 17 million and the spurs would have to give up alot of guys to get him, why the hell would they do that? I dont see it happening, the last thing they need is a 30+ year old player coming off the bench.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Realisticness aside, I'd love to see Grant Hill in a Spurs uniform.

That guy could solve MANY needs coming off our bench, not the least of which is backup PG.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

^ That doesn't look right. NY is still paying Allan Houston, and Michael FInley is #3 ?

timvp
02-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Realisticness aside, I'd love to see Grant Hill in a Spurs uniform.

That guy could solve MANY needs coming off our bench, not the least of which is backup PG.

Since when can Grant Hill play point guard?

Eh ... forget it. :wakeup

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Since when can Grant Hill play point guard?

Eh ... forget it. :wakeup

:lol

Na, but really. He has nice ball handling skills, no? I don't know if he plays point or not right now, but back in his detroit days, and I'm guessing now too, he's probably the one bringing the ball up court often. Just a guess.

Kori Ellis
02-08-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

^ That doesn't look right. NY is still paying Allan Houston, and Michael FInley is #3 ?

Correct.

Man In Black
02-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Assuming that Grant Hill wants to go to San Antonio, why would a trade have to happen? Following Eddie Jones' example, he could take a buyout and settle to become a FA right?

Just a thought.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Assuming that Grant Hill wants to go to San Antonio, why would a trade have to happen? Following Eddie Jones' example, he could take a buyout and settle to become a FA right?

Just a thought.

Eddie Jones wasn't making 16 mill a year. So that's not a realistic.

And I might be wrong but I think the Michael Finley deal was a one-year exception thing the NBA put in place so teams could let go of bad contracts. So I don't think that's going to happen either.

Long story short, there's about no way in hell this deal can realistically happen.

timvp
02-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Eddie Jones wasn't making 16 mill a year. So that's not a realistic.

True. He was making $15M a year.

:wakeup

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 01:02 AM
True. He was making $15M a year.

:wakeup

=/

Eddie f'ing Jones? He was making 15 million a year this year? Holy fucking shit.

YODA
02-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Wasnt Webber just bought out?? for like a trillion billion zillion dollars?? Possible, but not likely. Spurs brass way to money concious to take on this contract. Would love to have him. He would easily fit in with these guys. He is injury prone and that could be devastating. As i understand it, the Spurs wont make a move unless its their bottom 3 players or draft picks. Thus, we can offer very little but maybe rights to scola or a first round draft pick. Who knows.......We can still hope.

Yoda

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Isn't Hill's contract expiring after this season?

Spurs FO is notoriously cheap when it comes to going over the cap, but if there was one instance where we could just suck it up and take the cap hit for a year...this would be the one. I'd love to see Hill coming off our bench.

Dave McNulla
02-08-2007, 01:50 AM
i could see the spurs picking him up on the cheap, but no trade would be worth it for san antonio.

Man In Black
02-08-2007, 02:37 AM
You were saying?

See..a buyout. Imagine the possibilities.

Kermit
02-08-2007, 02:40 AM
i imagine us signing grant hill, and him tearing his achilles leaning over to tie his shoelace. he's that fragile.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 02:44 AM
i imagine us signing grant hill, and him tearing his achilles leaning over to tie his shoelace. he's that fragile.

Let's say that happens.

What's the worst case scenario. We lost a few picks, and still have the team we went into the season with to compete in the playoffs. But what's the best case? He rejuvinates our bench and provides some relief off the bench at backup-PG.

Kermit
02-08-2007, 02:47 AM
i'm sorry...

i'm confused...

since when is grant hill a back-up point-guard?

Please_dont_ban_me
02-08-2007, 02:49 AM
i'm sorry...

i'm confused...

since when is grant hill a back-up point-guard?

He's not.

But he...like a Brent Barry, or a Manu...can handle the ball well and can bring the ball up court. Not only that, but he's great at penetrating and dishing. Oh, and he can hit an open shot.

Who would you rather have doing all those things. Beno Udrih? Or Grant Hill.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2007, 02:49 AM
I've been waiting and waiting . . . am I gonna have to start the Karl Malone thread myself?

Kermit
02-08-2007, 02:52 AM
He's not.

But he...like a Brent Barry, or a Manu...can handle the ball well and can bring the ball up court. Not only that, but he's great at penetrating and dishing. Oh, and he can hit an open shot.

Who would you rather have doing all those things. Beno Udrih? Or Grant Hill.

neither?

Man In Black
02-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Or he was a free agent signed to whatever contract they agree to and no lost draft picks.
http://mobileapp.espn.go.com/nba/mp/xhtml/news?displayType=xhtml&sport=nba&story=2748259

When Eddie bailed Memphis, he only had 2 choices, according to his agent. Dallas, no playing time to be found or Miami, a place he already knows pretty well.

Other players who have been on the discussed as possible buyouts include Steve Francis(No he won't ever fit here, nor do I think he could play Pop's way), Jalen Rose(him too), and Adonal Foyle.

The Foyle situation has been discussed on the Warrior boards for quite some time.
http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/warriors/2006/11/14/anatomy-of-a-buyout/

Don't know about the cap implications for the team doing the buyout(CD could probably shed the most light) but hey...who gives a ef if it means that Silver and Black take another title to Riverwalk?

ShoogarBear
02-08-2007, 03:13 AM
Don't know about the cap implications for the team doing the buyout(CD could probably shed the most light) but hey...who gives a ef if it means that Silver and Black take another title to Riverwalk?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Peter_holt.jpg

sabar
02-08-2007, 03:23 AM
As much as I would like to make our team even older...

wildbill2u
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
He'd be an OK addition but not at that salary. He' have to get a buyout or partial buyout if that's possible under the rules.

Bottom line: We don't need any more guys with nothing but career downsides and their pension checks to look forward to.

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Does anyone see Orlando buying him out? As a playoff team, they'd much rather keep him around for what he can offer there.