PDA

View Full Version : Since 2002, There's USC...and Everybody Else

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 01:31 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9978794

...strange, thats what i said/have been saying.

K-State Spur
02-07-2007, 01:39 AM
2002? I believe that was the year the Cats were finishing off their series sweep of the Trojans. :)

Carroll said that was enough of Bill Snyder for his liking.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 02:35 AM
JGW, what is your affiliation with A&M and USC? I'm just curious how you are a fan of schools that are so far apart.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:01 AM
JGW, what is your affiliation with A&M and USC? I'm just curious how you are a fan of schools that are so far apart.

i went to Texas A&M my freshman year, then transferred out to California to attend USC and California Lutheran. i graduated from Cal Lutheran.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Gotcha. I've been meaning to ask for a while now. I went to A&M and my girlfriend currently is a senior at USC, so I have a little bit of a SC connection too. I actually went out there in October. Beautiful campus.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Gotcha. I've been meaning to ask for a while now.

btw, how do you enjoy living in College Station? my sister still lives there (she graduated in may 2006)...i always enjoy going down there to visit. also, my freshman year @ A&M was in 1999/2000...just for reference.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:09 AM
I liked College Station and I actually live in Ft. Worth now. I graduated in December of 05.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:09 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what made you transfer to USC after your freshamn year?

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:13 AM
I went to A&M and my girlfriend currently is a senior at USC, so I have a little bit of a SC connection too. I actually went out there in October. Beautiful campus.

...definitely a different world out there. i love the smaller cities in California....and San Diego. most of my college buddies stayed out there so it is nice to have a free place to stay when i visit. your girlfriend must be an awesome chick if she is @ USC! :) i wish you two the best, and good luck with your (long distance?) relationship.

i like SC's chances to win it all next year in football and who knows how far they can go in the tourney this year...i'm hoping at least second round.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:18 AM
yeah its looking good on both fronts. Thanks for the best wishes. When she graduates she is going to Texas Woman's University for grad school and its in Denton so we'll get to be close finally.

San Diego is awesome. I went there a few years ago and loved it. I'd love to go back someday when I can afford to.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:20 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what made you transfer to USC after your freshamn year?

mmm...i don't think anybody has ever asked me that before, thats is other than my friends who know me.

really want to know?

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:23 AM
if your willing to tell. If it is personal then I understand. My journey through A&M wasn't smooth my freshman year.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:31 AM
if your willing to tell. If it is personal then I understand. My journey through A&M wasn't smooth my freshman year.

i don't really mind, but i am going to get some heat for it...i imagine. first off, let me say my first year (and only) at A&M was great. i was on the dean's list both semesters, had some cool friends, and loved supporting all the sports. that being said, here is why i left (in no particular order):

1. grew up going to A&M games and always loved the university, but as i got older i wanted to try something new

2. had visited California before and loved it, i was very into the outdoors and snow sports and had already learned to surf

3. a girl

...if not for reasons 1 & 2 i would not have left A&M. in all honesty i'd say the girl factored in a bit more than the other reasons, but i really wouldn't have left if the others weren't there as well. looking back, it was the dumbest, yet smartest thing i have ever done...if you know what i mean.

and there it is.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:36 AM
Thats understandable. Being in a long distance relationship I know its tough. That thought entered my mind a few times, but by the time we got together I was in my 4th year. Nothing wrong with wanting to try something new. California has a lot of nice scenery and sometimes you just have to do what you feel you gotta do. Thanks for sharing that. Now I know the connection.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Thats understandable. Being in a long distance relationship I know its tough. That thought entered my mind a few times, but by the time we got together I was in my 4th year. Nothing wrong with wanting to try something new. California has a lot of nice scenery and sometimes you just have to do what you feel you gotta do. Thanks for sharing that. Now I know the connection.

you are welcome. funny thing, that girl and i (the only girl i ever loved) dated until our senior year before we broke up...probably should have ended it my junior year, but i didn't have the guts...then she broke up with me as senior year was starting...go figure. there were so many damn girls that wanted to date me and vice versa, but at least i had my last year to kick it.

anyway, it was the best decision i ever made going out to California...i learned an amazing amount of information about myself, relationships, and life. if i had to do it over again...i would without a doubt. i just wish Diana...maybe the coolest chick i ever met in college, wasn't married now.

...you live and you learn :)

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:45 AM
no doubt

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:48 AM
I've always liked traveling and have always seen myself moving far away like that just to get a new perspective on life. I majored in geography and I just like to see and experience new places.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 04:51 AM
I've always liked traveling and have always seen myself moving far away like that just to get a new perspective on life. I majored in geography and I just like to see and experience new places.

then you and are similar in that sense. cause after California i moved back home for grad school...and then 3 months ago moved to where i am now....Montana. love it out here...meeting all kinds of cool people and loving every minute of it. only problem:

1. partying too much
2. don't have a job
3. b/c of rugby and working out its hard for me to sleep, probably doesn't make sense...but b/c i don't have a job, at the moment, my schedule is whatever i want it to be

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Very nice. Yeah after I graduated it took me a while to find a job. It sucked then but when I look at it now it was kind of nice.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Very nice. Yeah after I graduated it took me a while to find a job. It sucked then but when I look at it now it was kind of nice.

it is nice...and i could easily have a job at the moment, but i think the problem is....i enjoy doing whatever i want whenever the hell i want. a problem i should remedy quickly as all i am doing is eating into savings.

in any case, i think i'll be out here for quite some time. i see Montanans as my type of people.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Are you in Billings or Helena or elswhere?

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Are you in Billings or Helena or elswhere?

Missoula, MT. imo, the best city in Montana...other than maybe Big Sky area, but thats just a town. there is opportunity here, i am just job-lazy.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 05:07 AM
damn.....must be nice.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 05:08 AM
we've pretty much ruined this thread. Its like an instant messenger chat on a sports forum. Oh well.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 05:13 AM
we've pretty much ruined this thread. Its like an instant messenger chat on a sports forum. Oh well.

ha ha. yeah, oh well, its not hard to skip over this and continue with the 'greatness of USC', LMAO!

anyway, it is nice. and my family is amazing...some of the most patient kind people you'll ever meet. my point...they don't give me a hard time about just enjoying life as a student would, even though i am not a student. in any case, i'm gonna run....i am cooking chicken, spinach, and carrots. gotta gain 5 lbs. for rugby season which starts in a month.... :hungry:

...see you around bro.

sghspurs
02-07-2007, 05:16 AM
later man.