PDA

View Full Version : It's Signing Day!!

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:14 AM
No real suprises are expected for OSU. I think most of UT's class is in place as well.atm still had a few offers into kids that didn't decide yet.

The only possible suprise is that I have heard Gerald Jones is secretly unhappy with Tenn because he was origianlly their star 'athlete' recruit and then they got 4 others and 5 RBs as well. He was an original ttek commit and OSU stole him for a day or 2 and then he went to Tenn. He has requested LOI from all 3 schools and I think he may end up where he started at ttek.

02-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Mike

You seem dialed in with all the recruiting goings on, so how is OSU going to do with basketball? Are they going to sign enough guys so they can at least run 5 on 5 practices?

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
As of now, OSU has gotten their 1st LOIs.

Jared Glover, LB Bixby, Okla
Jamie Blatnick, DL Celina, Texas
Josh Cooper, WR Mustang, Okla
Quinton Prince, DL OKC, Okla
Damien Davis, WR Mart, Texas

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Mike

You seem dialed in with all the recruiting goings on, so how is OSU going to do with basketball? Are they going to sign enough guys so they can at least run 5 on 5 practices?

Will be big class actually. Remember that most of our kids are Sophs from the #1 overall class 2 years ago. Boggan is our only senior loss. Curry will be a Senior next year. We had super Frosh Obi go down with a broken leg (he will be back in a couple weeks).

So far, we have 4 signed, including the #4 overall player, and took Marshall Moses from UK. He will sign in April, but has committed. We also have a stake in the Jai Lucas lottery, but honestly it looks like he really likes Capel at uo. Wouldn't be the 1st time an OSU favorite son's little brother defected to uo (Gundy's little bro went there). We are in on a couple other kids that have yet to qualify, and will also prolly look into a JUCO for a big man and possibly another PG if Lucas goes elsewhere.

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:25 AM
#6 is a big one - Richetti Jones, DE Dallas, Texas
:clap

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:26 AM
#7 Nick Martinez, OL Floresville, Texas
#8 Jacoby Reed, DB Houston, Texas

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:48 AM
8. Wilson Youman, TE St. Martinville, LA
9. Nick Martinez, OL Floresville, Texas
10. Marc Yerry, DS Matthews, NC
11. Jonathan Rush, OL Killeen, Texas

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
12. Kenny Alexander, LB McKinney, Texas ***mid-term enrollee

Others: 1. Tonga Tea, DT Snow JC ***Signed in Dec., currently enrolled
2. Deron Fontenot, DB Grand Prairie, Texas ***2006 signee, grey shirted

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Joe McKnight picked USC...are you kidding me!!! thats, per ESPN top 150:

1. McKnight
2. Galippo
3. Tyler

gtownspur
02-07-2007, 01:06 PM
IT sucks that colorado is going to have a superior class to Okie St.

we have one 5* and 3-4, 4*s, with 27 recruits in total.

johngateswhiteley
02-07-2007, 01:22 PM
...this is just stupid crazy...USC might get the top class, again, for like the 4th straight year. just unbelievable.....unbelievable. Fight on Carroll!

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 01:25 PM
IT sucks that colorado is going to have a superior class to Okie St.

we have one 5* and 3-4, 4*s, with 27 recruits in total.

Hmmm... Colo has a nice class, no doubt, but both major services rank them in the mid 30s while OSU is 25 in each.

Horry For 3!
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
...this is just stupid crazy...USC might get the top class, again, for like the 4th straight year. just unbelievable.....unbelievable. Fight on Carroll!
I knew you would be jackin off because McKnight picked USC. When I seen that he choose USC, first thing came to mind, jgw will be postin all over the place.

Ballcox
02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
^Well, I like our class and we've already proven that a bunch of home grown Texas boys can handle anything USC can dish out. :lol

We addressed the needs we had, particularly in the secondary. I think C. Brown is going to be a true lock down player at CB, him along with B. Wells, E. Thomas and C. Scott (all 4 star guys) should really provide a solid nucleus for our secondary.

I wish that M. Nader would have remained healthy, but our OL class is most likely the best in the country and easily the best in the state of Texas.

All in all a great class of 24 kids at the THE University of Texas, with 6 of them already enrolling for this semester, Hook'em! :clap

Mr Dio
02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
I knew you would be jackin off because McKnight picked USC. When I seen that he choose USC, first thing came to mind, jgw will be postin all over the place.

Yeah, McKnight signed with USC because of the great payment plan they can make on his mom's new home in SD or Orange County.

Seems like all these "#1" classes by USC have added up to how many BCS Natl Championships??? :lol

Mr Dio
02-07-2007, 04:00 PM
^Well, I like our class and we've already proven that a bunch of home grown Texas boys can handle anything USC can dish out. :lol

We addressed the needs we had, particularly in the secondary. I think C. Brown is going to be a true lock down player at CB, him along with B. Wells, E. Thomas and C. Scott (all 4 star guys) should really provide a solid nucleus for our secondary.

I wish that M. Nader would have remained healthy, but our OL class is most likely the best in the country and easily the best in the state of Texas.

All in all a great class of 24 kids at the THE University of Texas, with 6 of them already enrolling for this semester, Hook'em! :clap

Can't overlook the O side man.
At least a couple of other awesome OL.
Allen as a G, Chiles as a QB/WR/KR.

Mr Dio
02-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Where are your ags at JGW?

Ballcox
02-07-2007, 04:17 PM
^Trust me, jgw can't say shit about a&m's recruiting class, it's not very good at all. Hell, Ok. State grabbed more top in state talent than a&m and ou.

Counting down until jgw posts something in this thread about a&m 'owning' UT since they beat us last season in football

3............................2.................... .................you're up jgw!

MajorMike
02-07-2007, 04:18 PM
...but... SC is a dynasty!

P-O-Z
02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
who got noel devine

Mr Dio
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
who got noel devine

WVU is looking good for Noel.

Mr Dio
02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
...but... SC is a dynasty!

:lol
All those "#1" classes and how many Sears' trophies have they gotten in the past 6yrs or so?

Mr Dio
02-07-2007, 04:39 PM
^Trust me, jgw can't say shit about a&m's recruiting class, it's not very good at all. Hell, Ok. State grabbed more top in state talent than a&m and ou.

Counting down until jgw posts something in this thread about a&m 'owning' UT since they beat us last season in football

3............................2.................... .................you're up jgw!

Like I've said in another post, when are the ags gonna do TEXAS proud and do something, do anything in the post season?

P-O-Z
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
he is gonna be bad ass

Ballcox
02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
^Evidently Noel has not signed with WVU today and is waiting to sign at this point. Per CNNSI he's talked with his 'mentor', Deion Sanders and Sanders is telling him to wait a bit before he makes his decision.

Reading between the lines I would assume he wants the kid to sign with FSU. Too bad FSU is a sinking ship, but oh well.

P-O-Z
02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
^Evidently Noel has not signed with WVU today and is waiting to sign at this point. Per CNNSI he's talked with his 'mentor', Deion Sanders and Sanders is telling him to wait a bit before he makes his decision.

Reading between the lines I would assume he wants the kid to sign with FSU. Too bad FSU is a sinking ship, but oh well.
at first he wanted to go to um but really dont nned em since we got javvaris james

Horry For 3!
02-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I think he has West Virginia as his top school.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-07-2007, 09:29 PM
somebody please post who all UT ended up getting, not counting all the recruits we lost due to our shitty season, thanks

mookie2001
02-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Sam Acho DE 6-2 250 4.7 Dallas, TX
Tray Allen OL 6-4 305 5.3 Grand Prairie, TX
Curtis Brown DB 6-0 174 4.4 Gilmer, TX
Russell Carter DE 6-3 230 4.7 Houston, TX
John Chiles ATH 6-1 195 4.4 Mansfield, TX
Brandon Collins WR 6-0 167 4.4 Brenham, TX
Ian Harris TE 6-3 217 4.76 San Antonio, TX
Tyrell Higgins DT 6-3 260 4.9 Schertz, TX
Kyle Hix OL 6-6 290 - 5.8 Aledo, TX
Ahmard Howard TE 6-4 225 4.67 Brenham, TX
Michael Huey OL 6-5 290 - Kilgore, TX
Blaine Irby TE 6-2 224 4.58 Ventura, CA
Cody Johnson RB 5-10 225 - Waller, TX
Andre Jones DT 6-4 305 5.66 El Paso, TX
G.J. Kinne QB 6-2 207 4.6 Gilmer, TX
James Kirkendoll WR 5-10 178 Round Rock, TX
Aundre McGaskey OL 6-4 290 5.2 La Marque, TX
Keenan Robinson LB 6-3 211 4.5 Plano, TX
Christian Scott DB 6-0 185 4.4 Dallas, TX
Earl Thomas ATH 5-10 174 4.4 Orange, TX
Ben Wells DB 6-1 185 4.45 Beaumont, TX
Foswhitt Whittaker RB 5-9 187 4.4 Pearland, TX
Michael Wilcoxon DT 6-2 271 4.78 Aledo, TX
Malcolm Williams WR 6-3 205 4.4 Garland Tx

Cant_Be_Faded
02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
So what you are saying is John Chiles did not turncoat over to OU??

mookie2001
02-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Damion James did commit to a&m so who knows

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 03:12 AM
...it was a down year for A&M recruiting, i admit. but USC came with it.....again.

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 03:13 AM

USC greatness...

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 03:27 AM
espn has A&M at 16...not bad. probably a bit high....but in a sense, its a crap shoot anyway.

K-State Spur
02-08-2007, 11:49 AM
espn has A&M at 16...not bad. probably a bit high....but in a sense, its a crap shoot anyway.

It is a complete crapshoot, but ESPN tends to be very bad at it even by those standards. They work backwords. Figure if you are recruited by USC/Texas/Michigan/Florida/etc... you are a good player and get rated highly, instead of the other way around.

Lemming had a decade full of giving Notre Dame top 5 classes. These classes were finishing with .500 records for the Irish. Now, Bob Davie wasn't a great coach by any stretch, but he wasn't so awful to waste all that talent. It was just a case of where the kids were being rated highly for no other reason than they were Notre Dame commitments.

This doesn't even take into account that Lemming is famous for letting his own personal bias affect his ratings. I don't know where to find it, but I highly recommend listening to his radio interview of Lorenzo Booker if you can find it, he just makes a complete fool out of himself and it really shows the dirty side of these recruiting sites. There is a fine line between recruiting analyst and unofficial booster.

Ballcox
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
^I don't even pay attention to ESPN's list, it's pretty much complete crap. The only real sites I go to for infor are Bobby Burton's/rivals site and the local Orangebloods site run by Ketchum, of course that's nothing but Longhorn recruiting info.

K-State Spur
02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
The problem with recruiting rankings is that they tend to be reactionary.

People like to point out that most of the teams that finish in the top 5 had recruiting rankings in the top 10 over the past 4-5 years. But is it really going out on any kind a limb to say that the players recruited by USC, Texas, Florida, Ohio State, are going to be good in a few years?

If recruiting rankings were so accurate, then they should be able to predict a team's on-coming successes. Yet, they rarely, if ever, do. None of the rating services had Rutgers' recent classes in the top 30, let alone the top 10. According to virtually every recruiting service, Wake Forest would have been better off committing mass suicide than even taking the field against most of the rest of the ACC. And the opposite holds true as well, recruiting rankings have been unable (for the most part) to predict programs on the downfall. Florida State's disappointing season consisted of players who were recruited into top 10 recruiting classes in 4 of the last 5 years. Penn State always manages a top 20 class. Contrary to popular belief, USC was still recruiting highly ranked classes even before Pete Carroll got there.

Rankings tend to be the cart that follows the horse, not the horse that is pulling the cart.

And, to be a bit of a homer, K-State had 4 straight 11-win, top 10 seasons without a single recruiting class rated in the top 25.

mookie2001
02-08-2007, 02:44 PM
who thinks recruiting rankings are accurate?

Ballcox
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
^Can't part of that with K. State be attributed to Snyder's ability to get top notch juco talent? There are a number of recruiting services that don't take into account juco players, or they have difficulty really finding an accurate rating for these guys.

Regardless, I agree with you. You can get all the top notch talent you want, but if you can't coach these kids, put them in the right positions to succeed-then having highly rated recruits doesn't mean much.

Being a UT homer, I pretty much just read and keep up with in state recruiting, since that's where we get almost all of our players. Additionally, over the years the level of high school football in Texas is pretty stout. You get good players from Texas high schools and put them in the right system/fit with your team and you're going to do pretty well imo.

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 04:00 PM
The problem with recruiting rankings is that they tend to be reactionary.

People like to point out that most of the teams that finish in the top 5 had recruiting rankings in the top 10 over the past 4-5 years. But is it really going out on any kind a limb to say that the players recruited by USC, Texas, Florida, Ohio State, are going to be good in a few years?

If recruiting rankings were so accurate, then they should be able to predict a team's on-coming successes. Yet, they rarely, if ever, do. None of the rating services had Rutgers' recent classes in the top 30, let alone the top 10. According to virtually every recruiting service, Wake Forest would have been better off committing mass suicide than even taking the field against most of the rest of the ACC. And the opposite holds true as well, recruiting rankings have been unable (for the most part) to predict programs on the downfall. Florida State's disappointing season consisted of players who were recruited into top 10 recruiting classes in 4 of the last 5 years. Penn State always manages a top 20 class. Contrary to popular belief, USC was still recruiting highly ranked classes even before Pete Carroll got there.

Rankings tend to be the cart that follows the horse, not the horse that is pulling the cart.

And, to be a bit of a homer, K-State had 4 straight 11-win, top 10 seasons without a single recruiting class rated in the top 25.

i'd agree with most of that.

K-State Spur
02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
who thinks recruiting rankings are accurate?

husker fans :)

K-State Spur
02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
^Can't part of that with K. State be attributed to Snyder's ability to get top notch juco talent? There are a number of recruiting services that don't take into account juco players, or they have difficulty really finding an accurate rating for these guys.

Somewhat, although K-State relied on far fewer jucos players than the media gave them credit for. Roughly 80% of the K-State draft picks during the Snyder era were recruited as high school players. Darnell McDonald, Quincy Morgan, Michael Bishop, and Jeff Kelly were the only huge impact JC guys during Snyder's reign.

Snyder made his success by getting guys that the services (and other coaches) severely underrated. Darren Sproles was ranked somewhere in the 30s as an all-purpose back within his own class. Terry Pierce & Terrence Newman were both 1-Star (!!!!!!!) recruits according to rivals.

Fillmoe
02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
fuck usc

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 04:39 PM
fuck usc

cause we are the best?

mookie2001
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
yeah for the 5 years its been USC- and everyone else (Florida, Texas, LSU and Ohio St.)

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
yeah for the 5 years its been USC- and everyone else (Florida, Texas, LSU and Ohio St.)

well, USC has two titles and played for 3 in those 5 years. so yeah, i'd say it was them and everyone else. what bowl games have those other teams been in before and after their title?

booyah!

mookie2001
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Not this again, you did not win two titles, and you REALLY didnt PLAY for 3

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Not this again, you did not win two titles, and you REALLY didnt PLAY for 3

...right back at you. you, obviously, don't know anything about CFB...otherwise you wouldn't have made those statements. either way 2 titles and played for 3 is fact.

BLACKMAMBA24
02-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Well mr dio let's see, been there three times won two.This year will be three national championships in four trips(not bad huh?) This is not considered to be a rebuilding year such as last year was.We(usc) will be picked to win the pac-10 unlike last year where cal and oregon were the overwhelming favorites.It's ON!

BLACKMAMBA24
02-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Mookie it is called an AP co-national championship shared with Lsu, what have they won since?The ncaa considers it two so this year will make three.Face it ,this isn't it buddy,i see it continuing through the decade sort of Miami like in the late 80's early 90's.Yahoo sports thought their little effort would deter talent but they are facing a new reality today as well.

BLACKMAMBA24
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Texas and Florida will have somehting in common after this year.1 and done.Style points or no style points

JMarkJohns
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Last year Arizona pulled in a concensous top-20 class. This year, despite their improvement, it'll go down. They only had 17 players sign LOIs with them, though they only had upwards of 20 commits in the first place. Four of the 17 are four-star, impact players, one offensive (a top-5 TE) and three defensive (two LBs and a DT). While the class is likely to be ranked anywhere from 30-to-40 nationally, on average stars, they are again in the top-25 according to Rivals.com's rankings.

Not quite the success of the last two, and losing out on a third four-star LB (switched to Oregon), a four-star offensive lineman (switched to Colorado) and a four-star wideout (chose Oregon State in a coinflip situation) certainly hurt, but with very few immediate positions open, for a 6-6 team, it's not too bad.

They did manage to steal a fast-rising CB prospect away from Cal in the final week, though, save for keep four of their original six four-star prospects committed, it was the lone late-push bright spot.

They did get a RB that was once a four-star prospect, but a crappy senior season dropped his ranking. Still, lots of schools were in on him early, so potential for impact is there.

mookie2001
02-08-2007, 07:37 PM
^ thats a bold statement, i'd pick every other team against florida too

Cant_Be_Faded
02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
USC Greatness in the high school.

Pugglekicker_21
02-08-2007, 09:14 PM
i think ratings are bullshit and that joe mcknight is good but not the no. one player in the land. if jimmy clausen is what everyone says he is then notre dame fans will be saying brady who next year.