PDA

View Full Version : Government Is My Daddy

Lebowski Brickowski
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
This article is kind of light-hearted compared to the typical vitriole that permeates this forum but it shows an interesting and dangerous view this legislator has concerning what a government is supposed to be. Of course, this isn't the first or even the most blatant example of this attitude. But I thought it was pretty funny. Strangely, there is no mention of chewing gum......

Ban Proposed On Walking While Talking, Listening To iPod

POSTED: 10:20 pm EST February 6, 2007

UPDATED: 7:18 am EST February 7, 2007

A state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in either New York City or Buffalo.

NewsChannel 4 reported that Sen. Carl Kruger is proposing the ban in response to two recent pedestrian deaths in his district, including a 23-year-old man who was struck and killed last month while listening to his iPod on Avenue T and East 71st Street In Bergen Beach.

"While people are tuning into their iPods and cell phones, they're tuning out the world around them," Kruger said. The proposed law would make talking on cell phones while crossing the street a comparable offense to jaywalking.

Some pedestrians said they were not worried about their safety while using their electronic devices while walking.

"I look for the light," said Venus Montes of Williamsburg.

"I'm still looking," said Lance Gordon of Far Rockaway. "It's not like I'm not paying attention."

Others said the proposed ban would not work.

"I don't think anyone's going to be up for this," said Patricia Lewis of Staten Island. "I don't think anyone wants this."

Other pedestrians said they thought the proposal was a good idea.

"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."

101A
02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
The laws a bad idea.

Don't remove Darwin completely. We'll all be worse for it.

clambake
02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Is it safe to say that Kruger's not being paid under the table by MP3 and cellphone companies?

Let's wait and see what happens to this legislation.

DarkReign
02-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Is it safe to say that Kruger's not being paid under the table by MP3 and cellphone companies?

Let's wait and see what happens to this legislation.

Must we really wait and see? It is quite obvious (I think anyway) that this legislation has no chance...the deaths are only being used by a slimy politician to appeal to his constituency.

101A said it best....Better not to remove Darwin from everyday living. Is the word worse off from the removal of someone who cant walk and listen to Enya at the same time?

PixelPusher
02-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Must we really wait and see? It is quite obvious (I think anyway) that this legislation has no chance...the deaths are only being used by a slimy politician to appeal to his constituency.

101A said it best....Better not to remove Darwin from everyday living. Is the word worse off from the removal of someone who cant walk and listen to Enya at the same time?
It's all moot if they managed to have kids before checking out.

101A
02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
It's all moot if they managed to have kids before checking out.

But they won't have any more, and the law is still not around; their kids can get run over, as well. Evolution takes time.

DarkReign
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
But they won't have any more, and the law is still not around; their kids can get run over, as well. Evolution takes time.

It is a terribly slow process. Terribly slow, indeed.....