PDA

View Full Version : Beno makes a top ten list

CubanMustGo
02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2757049&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

John Hollinger's "Least Improved Team," our boy Beno ranks #9:

9. Beno Udrih, Spurs
Udrih played very well last year in limited minutes but inexplicably sat while veteran retread Nick Van Exel imploded in the postseason. This year the Spurs rectified that mistake, promoting Udrih to No. 2 behind Tony Parker, but Udrih seemingly has gone out of his way to make them regret it.

He's down to 35.4 percent from the floor, which is tough to live with given his shaky defense, and after solid campaigns in his first two pro seasons, his PER is down to single digits this year.

Ducks will be happy to hear that #2 is none other than LeBron James. Here's the list:

Most disappointing players: 2005-06 PER vs. 2006-07 PER

1. Andrei Kirilenko 20.71 14.24 -6.47
2. LeBron James 28.17 23.96 -4.21
3. Mike James 19.88 13.16 -6.72
4. Jameer Nelson 19.55 15.30 -4.25
5. Joel Przybilla 15.32 7.70 -7.62
6. Dan Gadzuric 17.28 9.89 -7.39
7. Boris Diaw 17.31 13.00 -4.31
8. Larry Hughes 14.08 12.12 -1.96
9. Beno Udrih 15.28 9.09 -6.19
10. Marquis Daniels 15.00 10.12 -4.88
11. Hedo Turkoglu 16.80 12.17 -4.63
12. Chris Kaman 15.01 11.74 -3.27
13. Jason Collins 5.49 2.97 -2.52
14. Ben Wallace 17.54 14.38 -3.16
15. Antoine Walker 14.47 10.22 -4.25

1. Andrei Kirilenko, Jazz
An All-Star caliber player over the last four seasons, Kirilenko has suddenly turned into a mediocre role player. Kirilenko seems utterly lost in the Jazz offense, mostly relying on his very shaky jump shot, and has been a far less capable shot blocker than in previous seasons -- perhaps because he has to play on the perimeter more with Carlos Boozer back in the fray.

His woes aren't lessening any as the season goes on -- he's cleared 11 points exactly once in his last 16 games. His struggles have brought up trade rumors, but as our Marc Stein pointed out recently, who'd take him right now?

2. LeBron James, Cavaliers
James was my pick for MVP a year ago, and like many I thought he'd pretty much take over the league this season. What we've seen instead is a surprising slip backward, including a dip in scoring numbers and a puzzling slump from the free-throw line.

It's easy to blame exhaustion from the world championship, but Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki played in the same tournament, and both are dominating. A better explanation might be Cleveland's lack of a real point guard, which doesn't allow James to play off the ball more.

3. Mike James, Timberwolves
Continuing the theme of "disappointments named James" -- this one perhaps was more expected -- according to a concept of mine called the Fluke Rule, 90 percent of players who see large one-year PER jumps after age 28 fall right back down to Earth the next year.

James was 30 last season and his PER went up over three points, making him a textbook case. But James has done the rule one better by descending below even his previous norms, and as another minus he's become a liability at the defensive end.

4. Jameer Nelson, Magic
Orlando thought it had a rising star on its hands after Nelson's breakout 2005-06 season, but his third season hasn't been nearly as impressive. Nelson suffered a plague of turnovers at the start of the season and hasn't shot as consistently as he did a year ago, especially on 3-pointers. He's lost 1.6 points per game off his average despite a slight uptick in minutes. His assists are down too, which can't be making Dwight Howard happy.

5. Joel Przybilla, Trail Blazers
Przybilla had a nasty injury at the start of the season, so I'll cut him a bit of slack, but even after returning he's struggled. Struggled might not be the word, actually -- his PER is barely half of what it was last season, the biggest drop of any player besides Richardson. Per 40 minutes he's scoring less than half as much as a year ago, and his turnover rate has skyrocketed to an unacceptable 27.8 -- tied with Dallas' DeSagana Diop for the league's worst.

All in all, not a great way to reward the Blazers for giving him a five-year, $32 million deal over the summer.

6. Dan Gadzuric, Bucks
Half of the fans don't even know this guy exists, but Gadzuric was an extremely effective energy guy off the bench the last three seasons. With the departure of Jamaal Magloire, I figured this season would be a golden opportunity for him to establish himself as one of the game's better young centers. Instead he's established himself as one of the league's most unmovable contracts, with $30 million left on his deal and a single-digit PER.

He's struggled enough to play his way out of Milwaukee's big-man rotation, a difficult feat considering the Bucks' poor frontcourt, and won't be back in it for a while since he's out with a separated shoulder.

7. Boris Diaw, Suns
Diaw showed up in preseason out of shape and got off to a slow start, but even with improved conditioning he's not making the same impact he did a year ago. Per 40 minutes, he's down 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds from last season, but making 0.2 more turnovers.

His blocks and steals are way down, too, a sign that perhaps his fitness level remains less than optimal. It's easy to say now that perhaps he was playing over his head in 2005-06, but I'm sure the Suns would have liked that information before signing him to a five-year, $45 million extension.

8. Larry Hughes, Cavaliers
Hughes' numbers aren't as far down from a year ago as some of the other players on this list, nor as much as teammate Zydrunas Ilgauskas' for that matter. So why single him out? Because we thought last year was the off year; this was supposed to be Hughes' bounce-back season.

Instead he's been even worse, with his per-minute numbers down across the board and his trademark free-throw drawing skill in serious remission, and that's been as big a reason for Cleveland's struggles as King James' unexpected production dip.

9. Beno Udrih, Spurs
Udrih played very well last year in limited minutes but inexplicably sat while veteran retread Nick Van Exel imploded in the postseason. This year the Spurs rectified that mistake, promoting Udrih to No. 2 behind Tony Parker, but Udrih seemingly has gone out of his way to make them regret it.

He's down to 35.4 percent from the floor, which is tough to live with given his shaky defense, and after solid campaigns in his first two pro seasons, his PER is down to single digits this year.

10. Marquis Daniels, Pacers
The Pacers thought they were getting an up-and-comer when they got Daniels from Dallas in the offseason, but he's struggled and has lost the confidence of Indy coach Rick Carlisle. The weird thing in his case is that his scoring numbers are down only slightly; it's the rebounds and assists that have tanked.

I don't have a good explanation -- Daniels is only 25 and began his career with three solid NBA seasons -- but it's costing him a great opportunity to take over the Pacers' starting shooting guard spot.

11. Hedo Turkoglu, Magic
Turkoglu was one of the keys to the Magic's strong finish a year ago, but he has struggled to keep up the momentum this season. He's shooting a career-low 40.6 percent, and despite standing 6-foot-10 has been one of the most ineffective players at his position on the glass.

He's matching his career high in one category, though: turnovers. Don't be shocked if Trevor Ariza takes his job when he returns from injury; the high-flyer has been vastly more effective.

12. Chris Kaman, Clippers
Another guy whose 2005-06 breakout seems to be short-lived, Kaman's statistical dip hasn't been as severe as that of some other players on the list. But his strong playoffs and big offseason extension (five years, $52 million) created expectations that he's come nowhere close to satisfying, mainly because his 52.3 percent shooting mark from a year ago now looks flukishly high -- he's down to 44.6 percent this year.

13. Jason Collins, Nets
Collins falls in Hughes' category -- we thought the big drop off came a year ago and there'd be a rebound this season. Instead, the freefall continues unimpeded. Collins' impossibly low PER of 2.97 isn't just the lowest in the league this season -- it's the worst of any player in the past two decades. Only Michael Curry in 2003-04 and Nikoloz Tskitishvili in 2002-03 have managed to play more than 1,000 minutes in a season with a PER below five; it appears Collins will be joining the club.

Collins already owned the worst PER of any player to play more than 1,500 minutes since 1987; at his current pace he'll shatter his own record.

14. Ben Wallace, Bulls
The four-time Defensive Player of the Year has almost no chance of making it five, as he's begun showing his age at 32. Wallace's offensive numbers are down, yes, but the Bulls can live with that. The bigger disappointments have been his rebounds, blocks and steals, all of which have dipped from a year ago (Bulls fans will say he's playing fewer minutes than last season, but they're coming at a much faster pace, so it's roughly a wash in terms of possessions).

As a result, the Bulls aren't quite the dominating defensive force they hoped to become when they inked Big Ben to a four-year, $60 million deal this summer -- yes, they're No. 2 in defensive efficiency, but the idea was that they'd be a runaway No. 1.

15. Antoine Walker, Heat
We had to anticipate a little slippage from Miami's vets this season due to the championship hangover effect, but that doesn't mean we should have expected Walker's 3-point Brick-O-Rama extravaganza. He's making only 29.0 percent of his attempts from downtown, which makes it a little puzzling that he's taking nearly half his shots from that distance -- many of them coming off the dribble. It's as though he spent the entire offseason watching videotapes of Baron Davis.

Perhaps shooting from closer in wouldn't help him, though, since he's making only 33.3 percent from the line. The real problem? All that body fat is throwing off his shot.

timvp
02-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Udrih played very well last year in limited minutes but inexplicably sat while veteran retread Nick Van Exel imploded in the postseason.

Stats wise, Udrih was pretty good last year. Intangibles and everything else that goes along with basketball, Beno was worse last year than he is this year. Last year the Spurs gave him every chance to win that backup job. But because of injuries, mental lapses and a general unwillingness to work hard, the Spurs rightfully gave the job to NVE.

And with as horrible as NVE was last year, he played better than Beno and Vaughn are playing now.

Sadly enough.

SequSpur
02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Again, I am glad to see everyone else joining in reality of a real situation.

SilverPlayer
02-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Interesting list. I would never have expected before this year to see Kaman, Gadzuric, or Diaw on a list such as this. I guess Diaw should have been expected with Amare coming back but those guys are too talented to be this disappointing.

Beno is absolutely deserving of his slot though. He has continually disappointed.

Tigole Bitties
02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Looks like Beno is now #3 behind Tony and Jacque

ata
02-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Stats wise, Udrih was pretty good last year. Intangibles and everything else that goes along with basketball, Beno was worse last year than he is this year. Last year the Spurs gave him every chance to win that backup job. But because of injuries, mental lapses and a general unwillingness to work hard, the Spurs rightfully gave the job to NVE.

And with as horrible as NVE was last year, he played better than Beno and Vaughn are playing now.

Sadly enough.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
You still haven't pull your head out of NVE's ass.

judaspriestess
02-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Beno Udrih does not want to play in SA. It shows in his lack of motivation. He is probably bored out of his mind. I see him in LA or another big city. Silly as this theory may sound to some, its still a valid point. He wants out.

ata
02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
^^ This is pretty obvious!

timvp
02-08-2007, 01:33 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
You still haven't pull your head out of NVE's ass.

Playing 4 on 5 > Beno this year.

Have you watched him at all?

phyzik
02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Beno Udrih does not want to play in SA. It shows in his lack of motivation. He is probably bored out of his mind. I see him in LA or another big city. Silly as this theory may sound to some, its still a valid point. He wants out.

Kinda funny seeing as EVERY SINGLE QUOTE from him regarding a trade says he DESPERATELY wants to stay with SA.... he just fucking sucks... bottom line.

ata
02-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Playing 4 on 5 > Beno this year.

Have you watched him at all?

I agree, Beno sucks big time this year. I don't want to glorify him or his play. What I've seen this year from Beno was pretty pathetic.

We disagree on the NVE part, and that Pop sucks, and that signing NVE was one of biggest mistakes Pop has made

You blindly believed in NVE and you still do.

Truth is Van Exel has always been more of a shooting guard than a point guard. With the Mavs, he always played off the ball. The thinking is if you can get Nick going, he's a type of player who can win a game for you. With the way this series is going, a bust out performance from Nick would be huge.

I hope that Beno will be out of SA soon. Hopefully, something like that could work for SA and Beno.

Texas_Ranger
02-08-2007, 04:00 AM
He is in elite company with James, Big Ben, Kirilenko...

zeleni
02-08-2007, 04:21 AM
Beno is in his lowest low.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2007, 05:47 AM
get low, get low

Bruno
02-08-2007, 06:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070208

By Kiki Vandeweghe
ESPN.com

John Hollinger named his Least Improved players so far this year. Here's my thoughts on his leading picks, and why each player might be struggling.

9. Spurs guard Beno Udrih -- It's confidence with him. Last year the Spurs went with the Nick Van Exel experiment, and that shook Udrih. He's still a very good player. I know the Spurs like him a lot. He's got to play on through and earn minutes again.

mountainballer
02-08-2007, 07:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070208

By Kiki Vandeweghe
ESPN.com

John Hollinger named his Least Improved players so far this year. Here's my thoughts on his leading picks, and why each player might be struggling.

9. Spurs guard Beno Udrih -- It's confidence with him. Last year the Spurs went with the Nick Van Exel experiment, and that shook Udrih. He's still a very good player. I know the Spurs like him a lot. He's got to play on through and earn minutes again.

he knows! wow! Vandewge has a source at the anonymous Beno lovers.

ploto
02-08-2007, 08:40 AM
What I see in Beno seems to me to be a guy who believed that no matter what he did, he was going to get traded anyway. Working hard and being a good guy didn't help Brent at the trade deadline last year and didn't keep the Spurs from trading Rasho over the summer. And even though Beno's contract is small, I still think he has played and practiced like a guy who basically thinks he is already gone.

Solid D
02-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Beno's .354 FG% and .253 3-PT% is just not what anyone expected from - in Sean Elliott's words - "one of the best shooters" on the Spurs. His Assist/TO ratio is a lack-luster 1.98. Although Tony's isn't much better, TP is a huge points contributor...not to mention the pace he sets and the solid defense TP plays. Beno is not really contributing defensively. Pop asked him to apply full-court pressure but Beno has only gone through the motions with that assignment. It's just a shame because he is a talented kid...plus SpursTalk's Slovenian members need their homeboy to step up and make them proud.

VaSpursFan
02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
What I see in Beno seems to me to be a guy who believed that no matter what he did, he was going to get traded anyway. Working hard and being a good guy didn't help Brent at the trade deadline last year and didn't keep the Spurs from trading Rasho over the summer. And even though Beno's contract is small, I still think he has played and practiced like a guy who basically thinks he is already gone.

basketball is a business...anyone can be traded at anytime. you can't let it affect you. just like you job, your employment can be terminated at any time, but you don't go to work and think why work hard because i could be fired.

the only way to mitigate this is to work hard and make yourself indispensable. add value; make something happen. what i see in beno is someone who obviously wants out of SA but is going about it the wrong way. rather than showing how capable of a player he is and getting another team's attention, he's playing himself out of the NBA.

CubanMustGo
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
he knows! wow! Vandewge has a source at the anonymous Beno lovers.

Well, it's pretty obvious the Spurs like him a lot, otherwise they would have canned his ass a long time ago.

judaspriestess
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Kinda funny seeing as EVERY SINGLE QUOTE from him regarding a trade says he DESPERATELY wants to stay with SA.... he just fucking sucks... bottom line.

I don't buy that, does anyone expect him to say he is unhappy? not everyone wants to play in San Antonio. He can't suck that bad or he would not be in the NBA

its all speculation anyway

cheguevara
02-08-2007, 02:12 PM
last year, Pop was forcing NVE down everyone's throats and it probably did not help Beno. hell, it cost us the championship, we all lost due to that experiment. stupid Pop

but this is a new year, no NVE, this was Beno's year for the taking. He failed miserably up to now.

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
basketball is a business...anyone can be traded at anytime. you can't let it affect you. just like you job, your employment can be terminated at any time, but you don't go to work and think why work hard because i could be fired.

I'm not sure there's anybody in any industry in the history of the world who hasn't been affected by this kind of thing. What player in sports hasn't taken a dip knowing he could get traded at any minute? It's only human nature. Compounding this is that Udrih seems like he's given up playing well for this team / his confidence is shattered. Is that his fault? Yes. Is that also the team's fault? Well, insofar as they needed a good backup point guard and had one on their hands with good talent, yes. I hope at the end of the year Udrih finds greener pastures and plays well for another team. Despite what pessimists on this board say, he does have NBA talent.

angel_luv
02-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Although I can understand that mindset, Beno can't afford to think like that.
How he plays now will seriously affect his options later on, regardless of whether he stays here or goes somewhere else.

I've seen signs of life this season and still believe Beno can succeed with the Spurs. I hope he does.

timvp
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
What I see in Beno seems to me to be a guy who believed that no matter what he did, he was going to get traded anyway.

Yeah, that's why he bought a house in San Antonio and why everything he's said has indicated that he wants to be the backup PG in San Antonio.

Beno went throught the ringer even before he came to San Antonio. How many times has he been signed, released, traded and given up on?

If the Spurs wanted to trade him, they would have brought in another capable point guard. The entered the year basically saying it's Beno or bust as the backup point.

Working hard and being a good guy didn't help Brent at the trade deadline last year and didn't keep the Spurs from trading Rasho over the summer.

:lol ... Yeah, the big bad Spurs are being mean to the nice guys like Rasho, Barry and Beno. Those gritty, gutty performers give it all they have but instead a meanie like Tim Duncan gets all the glory.

Either that, or there's more to playing in NBA than being a good guy. Rasho and Barry are good, wholesome fellows, problem is they don't matchup well against the Suns or the Mavs.

And even though Beno's contract is small, I still think he has played and practiced like a guy who basically thinks he is already gone.

If that's true, Beno is an idiot.

But obviously, that isn't true. The Spurs gave him the backup point guard position this year on a silver platter. The lone competition they brought in was a top five worst point guard in the league. The Spurs want Beno to be the backup ... and everyone knows that, including Beno.

Homeland Security
02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
We think that if Osama bin Laden were Slovenian, this ploto fellow would support him.

sendman
02-08-2007, 03:32 PM
We think that if Osama bin Laden were Slovenian, this ploto fellow would support him.

And we think that everything must be black or white for people like you, otherwise you woudn't feel homeland secure.
:dizzy

ploto
02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah, that's why he bought a house in San Antonio and why everything he's said has indicated that he wants to be the backup PG in San Antonio.
Beno bought that house before the Spurs even signed NVE. He thought after his Rookie Year that things would work out differently with the Spurs than they have. Plus, he likes San Antonio, and has the money, so why not. He has even said he would keep his house in San Antonio if he got traded.

The issue is about his place on the Spurs and perceptions about eventual trades. Malik saw it coming- we all did. Malik's "personality" as a Spur changed because of it. I'm not excusing it- I am merely explaining it. Subconsciously, I don't think Beno expected to be on the Spurs by the end of February. How much fun is it day in and day out with someone who doesn't want you there. Kind of like living with your spouse after they already hired the divorce lawyer.

cheguevara
02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
ploto stop making excuses for Beno, and yes you are making excuses:

How much fun is it day in and day out with someone who doesn't want you there. Kind of like living with your spouse after they already hired the divorce lawyer.

If beno is a little sensitive bitch who gets affected like this, he does not belong in the Spurs. Up to now it's all Beno's fault that Beno's been sucking all year. He either gets better or goes back to Europe to work as a taxi driver.

WalterBenitez
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
For those who criticize our Beno is better than BW .... :cooldevil

ploto
02-08-2007, 03:38 PM
The Spurs want Beno to be the backup ... and everyone knows that, including Beno.
Then why have the Spurs tried to trade Beno the past 2 summers?

timvp
02-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Subconsciously, I don't think Beno expected to be on the Spurs by the end of February. How much fun is it day in and day out with someone who doesn't want you there. Kind of like living with your spouse after they already hired the divorce lawyer.
Beno must have one dumb subconscious then. The Spurs brought in Jacque Vaughn to compete with him this year. The Spurs made it obvious that Beno was going to be the backup point guard this year. Crystal clear.

Pop has given him chance after chance after chance this year. If Beno was just playing par basketball, he'd still be the backup. The only reason he lost the backup job is because he's been horrible this year.

The Spurs can't baby Beno forever. Eventually he has to play decent to earn minutes.

timvp
02-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Then why have the Spurs tried to trade Beno the past 2 summers?

Uh, the Spurs talk about trading everyone on the team outside of the big three. Unless you expect Beno to be part of the big four, then you shouldn't be too surprised.

99% of the players in the NBA are talked about in trades throughout the year. It's part of the business.

The Instigator
02-08-2007, 03:53 PM
get rid of beno fast! try this http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/10449/200.jpg

ploto
02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
People are misinterpreting me. I am not saying that Beno is some wilting, sensitive flower all hurt by trade speculation... I am saying quite the opposite. People on here talk about him playing withtout confidence, but I don't think Beno has a confidence problem at all.

timvp
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
People are misinterpreting me. I am not saying that Beno is some wilting, sensitive flower all hurt by trade speculation... I am saying quite the opposite. People on here talk about him playing withtout confidence, but I don't think Beno has a confidence problem at all.
Then you are saying Beno has just given up and is sucking on purpose as he waits to be traded?

:dizzy

ploto
02-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't go that far- but Beno certainly isn't doing much of anything to put an end to the suckiness.

timvp
02-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't go that far- but Beno certainly isn't doing much of anything to put an end to the suckiness.
So it's self-imposed suckage?

I don't think you are giving him enough credit. I think he wants to play well ... he just isn't at this point.

T Park
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Then he should be cut for slacking off? I agree whole heartedly....

Cry Havoc
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
If Beno or Vaughn starts actually performing, I like our chances of winning a title.

Doubt either happens though. But Vaughn is fast and might be the solution, if Beno keeps getting stripped and clanking 18 footers.