PDA

View Full Version : Spurs whip Wizards

THE SIXTH MAN
02-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Spurs whip Wizards after break: Duncan, Parker each score 20 in Washington

Web Posted: 02/07/2007 11:46 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

WASHINGTON — With the Spurs struggling to gain any traction over the past two months, with each brief winning streak seemingly followed by a string of losses of equal length, coach Gregg Popovich declared this week's five-game trek through the Eastern Conference "a season-making or season-breaking" trip.
While one victory does not a season make — particularly when that victory comes east of the Mississippi River — the Spurs at least pointed themselves in the right direction for the rest of their travels, routing the Washington Wizards 110-83 on Wednesday night at the Verizon Center.

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker each scored 20 points, and Manu Ginobili added another 18 off the bench as the Spurs opened the second leg of their rodeo trip with one of their most complete performances of the season. Rested from a five-day break at home, they shot 53.8 percent while holding the NBA's second-highest-scoring offense to 32.6 percent from the field.

"It was one of our better games of the year, very honestly, at both ends of the court," Popovich said. "Washington didn't have one of (its) better nights, and once in a while, that happens. It has happened to us quite a few times this year, but I am glad it happened to them tonight."

Though the Spurs had ended the first leg of their rodeo trip with back-to-back losses in Utah and Phoenix, Popovich told the players after the loss to the Suns he had seen enough improvement in the three games — beginning with an overtime victory against the Los Angeles Lakers — to think they had begun to "turn the corner."

"I told them ... 'you guys are doing a good job. Now you have to keep it up,'" Popovich said. "'Trust each other more. Have more of a sense of urgency ... a five-man focus.'"

The Spurs showed that against the Wizards, opening a 12-point lead a little more than five minutes into the game. Parker made 7 of 8 shots and scored 14 points in the opening quarter.

The Spurs were able to shrug off Gilbert Arenas' 29 points — all of which came in the first three quarters — because the Wizards point guard didn't get much help. Washington was missing forward Antawn Jamison, who is sidelined by a left knee injury, and Caron Butler, checked by Bruce Bowen much of the evening, was limited to 15 points two nights after scoring a career-high 38 against Seattle.

Arenas, who missed 14 of 20 shots in Washington's 93-80 loss to the Spurs on Jan. 13, made four of his first five attempts. But his teammates opened the game a combined 0 for 14.

Duncan scored 12 points in the third quarter, helping slow the Wizards after they had closed within 11. Ginobili put the game out of reach with an 11-point flurry in the first 2:32 of the fourth quarter.

The victory was just the Spurs' second in Washington in the past five seasons. The 27-point defeat matched the Wizards' worst loss of the season.

"Like coach (Eddie Jordan) said, it was a 48-minute butt- kicking," Wizards guard Antonio Daniels said. "From the moment the ball was thrown up, they were into us."

Popovich made his second lineup change in 10 days, starting Francisco Elson in place of Fabricio Oberto. The move was not a surprise considering Elson was a starter before injuring his right shoulder in late December and Oberto had struggled of late, producing a no-rebound, 23-minute performance in Utah.

Elson totaled nine points, eight rebounds and three blocks in 26 minutes. The Spurs also received a lift from the bench: Michael Finley made three 3-pointers, and Jacque Vaughn, who replaced Beno Udrih as the backup point guard, had seven points and three assists.

"We did a good job defensively," Popovich said. "We just had five days off, so we had good practices and were able to get across to our guys, hopefully, that that's who we are.

"We have to be one of the best defensive teams in the league to get where we've been before."

Before the game, Popovich talked about the importance of the team going into the All-Star break on an upswing.

"I think we'd really be down in the dumps," he said, "if we didn't do well on this trip."

Popovich said he saw more progress Wednesday and hopes it carries over to the remainder of the trip. The Spurs still have games against Orlando, Miami, New Jersey and Detroit. Only the Nets aren't currently holding a playoff seed.

"I'd hate to see it as a season-making or season-breaking type trip, but I can see where Coach is going," Finley said. "It's time for us to basically stop making excuses and get this thing done."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

sabar
02-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Jacque Vaughn, who replaced Beno Udrih as the backup point guard, had seven points and three assists.

That's it, Beno is finally in the dog house -- and I have a feeling he is never going to come back out. He better not whine about pop not giving him a chance either, he had way too many chances.

ArgSpursFan
02-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Spurs whip Wizards after break: Duncan, Parker each score 20 in Washington and Manu Ginobili added another 18 off the bench as the Spurs opened the second leg of their rodeo trip

I'd hate to see it as a season-making or season-breaking type trip, but I can see where Coach is going," Finley said. "It's time for us to basically stop making excuses and get this thing done."

Thanx GOD he finally got the massege,it was about time for the spurs bench to come up and get some scoring and play some spurs D.
hopefully they΄ll keep up the good work by the playoffs.