PDA

View Full Version : Boston Press talking about the Spurs? Draft possibility?

Man In Black
02-08-2007, 03:06 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2007/02/07/you_can_set_your_watch_by_dudley?mode=PF

You can set your watch by Dudley
By Jackie MacMullan, Globe Columnist | February 7, 2007

A couple of years from now, when he's helping Tim Duncan and Tony Parker win another NBA championship for the San Antonio Spurs, you will be kicking yourself for not paying closer attention to Jared Dudley while he was right here, under your nose, poised to steal your basketball heart.

We have enjoyed a number of entertaining and endearing college basketball players in these parts through the years. The list is too long to mention, and it's a dangerous exercise to choose favorites. Suffice it to say Dudley would be in my top five.

No, amend that. Top three. He moves up two spots just for having the audacity to call his mother into their family room at the tender age of 12 and announce to her that he was going to be a college basketball star, even though he was an overweight kid playing mediocre basketball in the suburbs of San Diego.

"I just knew," he said.

Of course he did. That is the essence of Dudley's charm. He has never stopped believing during his entire basketball journey -- not in himself, his coaches, or his teammates, even when the odds have appeared firmly stacked against him.

Dudley, 21, recognized long ago that he could not rely simply on athletic skills. He is a versatile, passionate, cerebral player who tirelessly studies game film and strongly encourages the freshmen to do the same. He looks like nothing special, like a kid who is a little too slow or a little too awkward . . . or . . .

Or what? The most intriguing player in the Atlantic Coast Conference? Dudley has willed his depleted Boston College team to one critical victory after another, the most recent an 80-59 thrashing of No. 16 Virginia Tech last Saturday. In that one, the 6-foot-7-inch, 225-pound forward submitted a season-high 30 points on 11-of-15 shooting, along with 13 boards and 4 assists .

He leads the league in scoring and is second in rebounds, but that doesn't do him justice. When you talk about "intangibles," be advised that Dudley is the embodiment of the word.

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Apparently he has subpar athleticism but intangibles off the board - very smart, very hard working. Might be there in the second round. May be too slow to do anything in this league.

Man In Black
02-08-2007, 03:27 AM
For some reason, I think Nick Fazekas would be a good pickup for the Spurs. Maybe it's the endless drills over fundamentals over and over and over. Oh and really good hands and is a big time gamer. Yes, I'm intimating but if he has half the game of TD, that already makes him better than any of other bigs we have.
6'11 245 with room to grow.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/nickfazekas.html

Strengths: Possesses special shooting touch for a bigman with range that easily extends to NBA three point distance ... Inside/outside forward who displays a wide array of offensive skills with post moves, hook shots and jumpers ... Slippery. Has become very good at setting up shots for himself and makes use of pump fakes to draw fouls ... His high release point makes it difficult to block his shots ... Makes for a mismatch, he'll be able to pull post players outside, spreading the floor ... Great feel for the game, makes great decisions, excellent fundamentals ... Tremendous wingspan makes him an excellent rebounder and shot blocker ... Has a very adept turnaround hook shot ... Passing ability appears to have improved since his sophomore year ... Tougher than he looks, a competitor, willing to battle even when he matches up against stronger post players ... Excellent free throw shooter ... Has great hands ... Looks awkward but has good balance on rebounds and drives ...

Maddog
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
From NBAdraftnet

Foot speed is painfully slow … Not especially explosive or athletic … Has a decent jump shot, but lacks a potent offensive repertoire scoring mainly on shots around the basket

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
He's an American collegiate player, which virtually assures that the Spurs won't even consider drafting him, even if he had off-the-charts athleticism, great length, a good head for basketball, and an incredible motor.

Darkwaters
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
He's an American collegiate player, which virtually assures that the Spurs won't even consider drafting him, even if he had off-the-charts athleticism, great length, a good head for basketball, and an incredible motor.

They were talking about Aaron Gray last year. Hes an american collegiate player.

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
They were talking about Aaron Gray last year. Hes an american collegiate player.

He's just speaking truthfully about the Spurs FO trend of late. They haven't drafted a legitimate American prospect since John Salmons. It's not to suggest that they don't like some of these American prospects, just that it's not likely they will get even one with the three/four picks they'll have in the upcoming draft.

How about a guy from a foreign country that plays in America....Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Here's the NBAdraft.net profile

NBA Comparison: Luol Deng/Andre Iguodala
Strengths: Has the tools to become a big time player ... Extremely athletic and versatile wing ... Solid competitor ... Crashes the glass hard ... Has a 7-2 wingspan. Long arms help on defense and with rebounding ... Great attitude, plays very hard, listens and wants to improve ... Shot mechanics and fundamentals are good ... Solid free throw shooter at 75% ... Excellent on defense with great foot speed and the potential to become a lock down defender ... Has a great understanding for a player so new to the game ... In just his 5th year of organized basketball, so his upside is very intriguing ...

Weaknesses: Still getting his bearings after starting basketball late. Getting a feel for what he can do ... Must gain confidence and consistency ... Shows great flashes, but due to age and familiarity is not completely comfortable yet ... Must hone his offensive game, develop range ... His jumpshot still needs a lot of work ... Ball handling while it has improved can get a lot better ... Must cut down some on turnovers, but makes good decisions ...

Notes: Full name is Luc Richard Mbah a Moute ... A Prince in his native Cameroon ... Named Pac-Ten Freshman of the year ... Led the Bruins team in rebounding by a wide margin as a freshman.

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
ESPN Draft profile

Draft Projection: Late first to early second

Similarities:

Ron Artest

Notes: Has only played basketball for five years. Is a prince in Cameroon.

Positives: Super long, athletic forward who does a little of everything. He crashes the glass, is a lock-down defender and has an emerging offensive game. Quickness and athleticism make him a great slasher and finisher. Great motor on both ends of the floor.

Negatives: Still learning the game. Not a great shooter. His form is OK, but he really doesn't have long range on his jumper. No real offensive moves in the post to speak of. Is mistake prone and streaky, but most scouts attribute that to his relative lack of experience.

It should be noted that unlike Artest, Mbah a Moute is not interesting in starting a rap group or pumelling fans....the defensive intensity, body type, and skill were the comparison...

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Not sure Mbah a Moute will be in the draft this year. DX has him waiting until next year. If he does come out this year, naturally that improves the SF depth.

PhxDog
02-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Mbah a Moute would be a great pick for the Spurs, but I find it hard to believe he'd drop to the end of the first round.

UCLA's point guard, Darren Collison, would also be able to help the Spurs immediately IMO.

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Not sure Mbah a Moute will be in the draft this year. DX has him waiting until next year. If he does come out this year, naturally that improves the SF depth.

Yeah, so does NBAdraft.net and ESPN notes that most scouts feel he should stay in another year, but you never know. If he got a first round guarantee, he might stay in...

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Mbah a Moute would be a great pick for the Spurs, but I find it hard to believe he'd drop to the end of the first round.

UCLA's point guard, Darren Collison, would also be able to help the Spurs immediately IMO.

Well he's a potentially big-time player, and a sure-fire defensive stopper, which elevates his draft value, but....

He hasn't improved his numbers this year (10pts, 8rebs, in 30mpg) that significantly, and he's still considered a project....so that would even out his draft status. Not saying it'll happen, but he fits what the Spurs do (defense, energy).

On Collison....he's become a legit first round prospect and filled the shoes of Farmar quite nicely. Again, it comes down to the Spurs' willingness to draft American prospects....it's not that they don't like any of them, they're just more comfortable drafting internationally and it shows in their recent draft selections....

So in other words....Kalnietis would probably get the nod over Shakur

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 04:06 PM
If the Spurs don't pick up American players with their 1st and the Milwaukee pick, they're fucked. If they get two foreign players (not named Rudy Fernandez), they're completely fucked. If they get one of two foreign players, they're halfway fucked.

I'm sick of pick-n-stash. There are some good players that can be had in these picks.

Ocotillo
02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
No, amend that. Top three. He moves up two spots just for having the audacity to call his mother into their family room at the tender age of 12 and announce to her that he was going to be a college basketball star, even though he was an overweight kid playing mediocre basketball in the suburbs of San Diego.

Kid has no ambition, otherwise he would have told his mom he was going to be an NBA balla. :lol

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 04:43 PM
If the Spurs don't pick up American players with their 1st and the Milwaukee pick, they're fucked. If they get two foreign players (not named Rudy Fernandez), they're completely fucked. If they get one of two foreign players, they're halfway fucked.

I'm sick of pick-n-stash. There are some good players that can be had in these picks.

Agreed on Rudy. I'm praying to God they draft a SF with the first pick and somehow manage to trade future draft picks or "pick-n-stash" players to get both.

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 04:52 PM
With some shrewdness they may be able to get a SF and a PG out of this draft. Of course, I'm hoping they can trade up with Scola and grab a Jeff Green-type, which may not happen. The Milwaukee pick will be pretty nice, only about 10 picks later, but it's likely the better PG prospects will be gone by then. I'd love to see Acie Law in a Spurs' uniform - he'll be a dynamite back-up, but I don't think he goes past #20.

mardigan
02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I have seen him play a bunch on ESPN fullcourt, he is a very good all around talent. Yeah, he isnt the quickest, but he makes up for athletic defeciencies with a lot of hustle. Great jumper, great rebouder, and can block some shots. I could definately see him siiting there at the end of the 1st, early second. It boggles my mind why more people arent talking about this kid, 20 points, 9 boards and 59 percent from the field.

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 09:38 PM
With some shrewdness they may be able to get a SF and a PG out of this draft. Of course, I'm hoping they can trade up with Scola and grab a Jeff Green-type, which may not happen. The Milwaukee pick will be pretty nice, only about 10 picks later, but it's likely the better PG prospects will be gone by then. I'd love to see Acie Law in a Spurs' uniform - he'll be a dynamite back-up, but I don't think he goes past #20.

His stock is skyrocketing and with so little depth at the PG position (most talent residing w/ the froshes), I agree that he won't last that long...

Jeff Green would be great, and again I know it's not unprecedented for the Spurs to grab an American (heard about interest in Joey Graham, etc.), I'll believe it when I see it.

BTW....I also pray that the Spurs can take care of one of their major deficiencies (Arroyo at PG?) via a trade before the 22 Feb deadline, so there's not so much pressure on them to draft "immediate contributors" that might be stop-gap players....

Mr. Body
02-08-2007, 09:43 PM
They were also hot after Jarrett Jack as Portland was drafting him. There are some American players they've tried to get.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2007, 11:29 PM
How about a guy from a foreign country that plays in America....Luc Richard Mbah a MouteI think Spurologist is from Cameroon.

Pugglekicker_21
02-09-2007, 12:54 AM
fazekas will go in the teens but if they have more than two picks then the FO cannot fuck this up.

Pugglekicker_21
02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
needless o say my intrest in the draft just skyrocketed if we have our first plus mikwaukee's.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-09-2007, 01:08 AM
They need to use the two picks to grab a SF and Acie Law.

pad300
02-09-2007, 01:08 AM
needless o say my intrest in the draft just skyrocketed if we have our first plus mikwaukee's.

We have our 1st, (~ 28), Our second (~58), the better Milwaukee and Houstons second (currently Milwaukee, ~38) and we might get Chicago's 2nd (my understanding is if it is >50, we get it, currently 52).

THE SIXTH MAN
02-09-2007, 01:12 AM
They need to use the two picks to grab a SF and Acie Law.
Hell yeah. :tu

Horry For 3!
02-09-2007, 02:23 AM

Don't we get Chicago's 2nd round pick as well?

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Don't we get Chicago's 2nd round pick as well?

Only if they have a top 9 record, so if their pick is from 51-60. I've only seen this in one place, anyway, and it is somewhat unlikely their record will be that good.