PDA

View Full Version : Bosh or Howard?

ajh18
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
In light of last night's Raptor victory over the Magic, who would you now rather have as your team's big man, both now and in the future? Chris Bosh or Dwight Howard?

In case you missed it, last night:

Howard: 13-14 FG, 32 pts, 9 rbs, 4 ast, 2 blk
Bosh: 13-25 FG, 41 pts, 8 rbs, 3 ast, 1 blk

For the season averages:

Howard: 17.2 ppg, 11.9 rbs, 1.7 ast, 1.76 blk, .583 fg% -21 yrs old
Bosh: 23.3 ppg, 10.6 rbs, 2.4 ast, 1.20 blk, .502 fg% -22 yrs old

Are these two guys the two best young bigs in the league? Would you take them over Amare? How about the rights to Oden? Thoughts?

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Howard is the pick, though it's not an easy one, because he is truly dominant and has yet to tap the full potential of his skill. Right now he relies heavily on dunks and offensive rebounds for his points. Imagine if he adds a consistent outside jumper...the kid will be nearly unstoppable.

He has the most raw talent and ability to improve of any of the above mentioned individuals....though I take nothing away from them.

They will all be studs in this league for years to come...

ThomasGranger
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
If I were building a team around one of those three guys I'm thinking

Howard>Bosh>Amare.

Hard to say how good Oden will be in the NBA, but it seems a safe bet he will be comparable to Howard, at least.

Texas_Ranger
02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Bosh>Howard

cheguevara
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Bosch is the safe bet.

Howard could easily become the next Shaq, but then again, he also could not.

ThomasGranger
02-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Bosch is the safe bet.

Howard could easily become the next Shaq, but then again, he also could not.

Bosh's game seems a bit more polished, but Howard's numbers are almost as good as Bosh's (and his RB are better), which is about where one might expect him to be considering Howard has one less year in the NBA. Both players are basically carrying their team, but the difference maker for me is Howard's size. He probably has about 30 lbs on Bosh, and it's not baby fat.

ajh18
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
It'll be interesting to see in 3-4 years. We may actually have a return of the dominant big man of the early-mid 90's. Bosh, Howard, Amare, Yao, and Oden will all be in or approaching their primes, with Yao the old man at 30. That's five 7-footers who could all be putting up at least 20-10-2... and it excludes guys like Okafor and Durant (though Durant looks like more of a versatile wing than a post guy).

LEONARD
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM
JHo got crazy game...

mabber
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I like them both, but I'd take Howard.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
dwight howard plays like a prime kevin willis, who rebs and scores

i take bosh though....

angel_luv
02-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Both are great guys and have awesome talent, but how do you guys think their games would mix with Timmy's?
Whom is the best choice from that perspective?

Or were you asking whom I would want instead of Timmy? :(

mabber
02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Both are great guys and have awesome talent, but how do you guys think their games would mix with Timmy's?
Whom is the best choice from that perspective?

Or were you asking whom I would want instead of Timmy? :(

I think he was just asking which player would you take right now. I don't believe it had anything to do with the Spur's or Duncan. This is the NBA forum.

stretch
02-08-2007, 03:08 PM
thats a tough pick... Bosh is more talented and versatile offensively, but Howard IMO is the better all around player, and is more athletic. I'll take Howard, but not by much.

AFBlue
02-08-2007, 03:08 PM
JHo got crazy game...

Softest, oldest "big" of the group...

johnpaulwall21
02-08-2007, 03:09 PM
These two are my favorite non-spur players.

Chris Bosh is more like duncan, he has a soft touch, quick feet and he can shoot better than lots of bigs. He can post up also, with a long wingspan, the only thing i dont like is that hes still skinny, and he cant push around other bigs.

Dwight howard is the kid shaq monster, he dominates inside and hes a power dunker and rebounder. I havent seen him shoot the ball much but niether does shaq.

If i had to pick one to build around i would pick chris bosh cause he has more game period. :wakeup

BgT
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Those two guys are completely different players. People are comparing them something like "this one is stronger, that one is faster...", but that's just not important. It's the same as saying "I'd take Shaq over Parker, because he is bigger and stronger."

I'd take Bosh, because when you take away strength from Howard, he has nothing left. An injury here and there and in few seasons nobody will talk about him being the best player in the league. Is there anyone saying Amare is the best player in the league (or that he could become one)? I haven't heard much of that after his injury.

DarkReign
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I'd take Bosh, because when you take away strength from Howard, he has nothing left. An injury here and there and in few seasons nobody will talk about him being the best player in the league. Is there anyone saying Amare is the best player in the league (or that he could become one)? I haven't heard much of that after his injury.

Absolutely couldnt have said it better.

Howard is a BEAST, but he is one injury away from being nothing, because without his God-given athleticism, hes sub par at best.

CB4 on the other hand, has game to spare. Range, Speed, Fineese.

To me its not close. If this thread is asking "Who do you build your franchise around?", Bosh by a country mile.

Medvedenko
02-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I like Bosh...because I saw him play live in the last 3 years. Howard's a beast though...we could see that resurgance of big men. I would also include A Bynum in that list already provided. I would pick Bosh overall. He has more versatility and can hit jumpers as well as finish under the hoop. Defensively I give the edge to Howard.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
curry is the best young big man lol..i'd take howard

dave
02-08-2007, 06:38 PM
damn it'd be crazy if we had howard along with bosh
the raptors should've just tanked the season before.... and because they didn't, they ended up araujo, fuck

sribb43
02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Bosh but if Dwight becomes a better all-around offensive then watch out NBA. he needs that little baseline jumper, and consistent hook shot, not just power dunks. oh ya, and improve his free throw shooting

Bob Lanier
02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Bosh.

It would be nice if either of them played any defense at all, though.

1Parker1
02-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Wow, good thread. Very tough to pick between the two.

I'd have to give the slight edge to Howard, just because I think he's a better defender and I like his size in the paint.

dave
02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Chris Bosh > Juwan Howard

Rip-Hamilton32
02-08-2007, 09:47 PM
howard goaltends alot lol but hes a much better defender then bosh, but bosh is working on his three point shot so hes just going to keep improving

dallaskd
02-08-2007, 10:18 PM
BOSHHH!! not even close. stupid thread.

dallaskd
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Bosh.

It would be nice if either of them played any defense at all, though.

wow! you obviously know nothing about josh howard or the mavs. Howard is the best defender on the team and one of the best in the league.

ajh18
02-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Um, this thread is about Dwight Howard, not Josh Howard...

dallaskd
02-08-2007, 10:39 PM
bout to say

dallaskd
02-08-2007, 10:39 PM
bosh either way.

Amare_32
02-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Howard

BgT
02-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Bosh but if Dwight becomes a better all-around offensive then watch out NBA. he needs that little baseline jumper, and consistent hook shot, not just power dunks. oh ya, and improve his free throw shooting
Forget it. I think it's interesting, how jumpers are considered something that everyone should be able to learn. Some players just don't have that "all-around offensive" stuff.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Forget it. I think it's interesting, how jumpers are considered something that everyone should be able to learn. Some players just don't have that "all-around offensive" stuff.

The sayings go...

"You can't teach size"

"You can't teach speed"

"You can't teach athleticism"

They don't go....

"You can't teach a jumpshot, or a hook shot"

That's because you CAN teach a jumpshot and a hookshot. Amare didn't come into the league with that 18ft shot, he learned it.

If I was starting a team I'd go with Howard because his game has room to grow, he's a humble & hard-working kid, and he's got so many of those things "you just can't teach."

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 11:04 AM

You can't take away Howard's strength or athleticism because no injury has....it doesn't work that way.

On Amare, there are still plenty of people that think he could be the best player in the league because he learned not to rely solely on his athleticism and he's still young. People doubt Amare because he's on a team that makes James Jones look like Joe Johnson and because they're still wary of the injury. He is definitely in this discussion though...

mabber
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
You can't take away Howard's strength or athleticism because no injury has....it doesn't work that way.

On Amare, there are still plenty of people that think he could be the best player in the league because he learned not to rely solely on his athleticism and he's still young. People doubt Amare because he's on a team that makes James Jones look like Joe Johnson and because they're still wary of the injury. He is definitely in this discussion though...

I don't think Amare is going to be able to develop his low post skills to their max in that system. He has definitely learned how to move w/o the ball and roll off picks, etc. in that system but I think he's going to have to be utilized in a different manner for him to reach an elite level. He definitely has the ability though.

BgT
02-09-2007, 11:28 AM
:lol If every damn idiot can learn nice solid jumpshot, why didn't they teach Shaq to shoot 3-pointers? Also why didn't they teach him point guard plays. He could be one man team, doing coast to coast all the time.

Just keep reading your "sayings", I'll watch some basketball and think with my own brain. My saying is "If you don't have it, you don't have it." Write that down. :reading

It works that way, why not. If it really doesn't work that way, ask moderator to delete all posts that... don't work.

On Amare, there are still plenty of people that think he could be the best player in the league
There are also plenty of peope who consider Horry being the best player in the league at the moment. There are lunatics all over the world. I won't even explain what I meant with my post, because I'm sure you can figure that out for yourself. When you stop nitpicking, that is. ;)

P.S. Take a look at Toni Kukoc before he came to NBA

jacobdrj
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Either would be just fine at this point... just think... if Bosh were selected by the Pistons, he might be in Orlando right now with Howard!

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
:lol If every damn idiot can learn nice solid jumpshot, why didn't they teach Shaq to shoot 3-pointers? Also why didn't they teach him point guard plays. He could be one man team, doing coast to coast all the time.

Shaq may have nimble feet, but his shooting form is the clumsiest, most uncoordinated I've ever seen. Howard on the other hand is very coordinated and capable of developing an outside shot.

You're sarcasm about Shaq playing PG is actually pretty funny, because I'm not sure if you realized Dwight Howard actually played some PG for his team in HS....he's that athletic and coordinated. Shaq is a classic big (low post banger w/ NO outside potential), Howard is not...so let's not compare the two.

There are also plenty of peope who consider Horry being the best player in the league at the moment. There are lunatics all over the world. I won't even explain what I meant with my post, because I'm sure you can figure that out for yourself. When you stop nitpicking, that is. ;)

Even though you went a little far (I wouldn't consider anyone a "lunatic" for thinking Amare is/could be the best player in the NBA), I see your point perfectly....you think Howard is the higher risk player and you'd rather go with Bosh.

I'll agree that Howard is a higher risk because his game has not developed as of yet, but he is definitely the "higher reward" candidate because he has the ability to expand his game....a point that you can't/won't seem to grasp.

Bottom Line: Howard can develop an outside shot, and has a good chance to do so, but Bosh cannot gain 50 pounds.

freedom&justice
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Definitely Howard.

Purple & Gold
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd take Howard over Bosh, but not by much. Howard will end up being a monster defensively.