PDA

View Full Version : can someone please explain me 3 sec defensive violation?

Kamnik
02-08-2007, 05:52 PM
i never quite understood it

is it something about those 2 painted stripes on each side from the paint?

timvp
02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Defensive three seconds is the rule put in place that replaced illegal defense. A three seconds defensive violation occurs when a defensive player remains in the paint for more than three seconds when he's not within arm's length of the man he's guarding.

Cry Havoc
02-08-2007, 06:23 PM
It's basically a three in the key for the defense, with the stipulation that Timvp mentioned.

Kamnik
02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
so basicly it means you cant just camp in the paint if the guy you are guarding doesnt have any range? (per say some centers)

and the player you are guarding must have the ball, right?

btw thanks a lot for the explanation

Bob Lanier
02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
The player you're guarding doesn't have to have the ball.

It's an extremely selectively enforced rule.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2007, 07:55 PM
However, you can't double team a player who doesn't have the ball.

Dalamar_the_Dark
02-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I never really understood it either. Guess it means that defensive players can't stand around in the paint not doing anything.
I don't see how the refs can keep track of it all. How can they keep track of PFs, travels, blah blah, if they are always counting 1001, 1002, 1003...

Thats why someone said that

"It's an extremely selectively enforced rule"

Some refs call it more than others. Just like some refs call travelling more than others. Give a call to Arenas. He can probably tell you who calls what more.

jbspurs
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
However, you can't double team a player who doesn't have the ball.

I think you are allowed to double as long as you get back to person you are guarding or switch back within 3 seconds. And when double teaming a person holding the ball you have to fully commit.

Extra Stout
02-08-2007, 10:52 PM
i never quite understood it

is it something about those 2 painted stripes on each side from the paint?
In English, the verb "explain" cannot take an indirect object like that. You have to use a prepositional phrase, i.e. "explain to me."

English is a pain in the ass, I know.