PDA

View Full Version : 3 point shootout

P-O-Z
02-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Six to Battle for Title on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA SPORTS™

NEW YORK, Feb. 8, 2007 – The Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki will look to defend his title in this year's Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout which will be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA SPORTS™, Feb. 17 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
Nowitzki, who will make his sixth NBA All-Star appearance this year, won last year’s closely contested event in Houston. He aims to become the first back-to-back winner since Peja Stojakovic, winner of the competition in 2002 and 2003. The seven-footer will face 2006 runner-up and Eastern Conference All-Star starter Gilbert Arenas of the Washington Wizards, Cleveland Cavaliers guard Damon Jones, Miami Heat forward and the NBA’s leader in three-point shooting percentage Jason Kapono, Memphis forward Mike Miller, as well as Nowitzki’s Dallas teammate, Jason Terry.

The players will compete in the two-round competition with the top three finishers from the first round advancing to the finals. Five shooting stations will be set up around the three-point line, with four orange balls worth one point each and one multi-colored ball (money ball) worth two points at each location. Each player will have one minute to shoot as many balls as he can. In the final round, players will shoot in ascending order of first round scores. At the discretion of the referee, television instant replay may be consulted for clarification of rules compliance.

The Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout will be televised live nationally as part of the NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA Sports™, which will also feature the Haier Shooting Stars, Sprite Slam Dunk and PlayStation® Skills Challenge. TNT and ESPN Radio’s national coverage will begin at 8 p.m. ET from Thomas & Mack Center. The NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 18, will air live from Thomas & Mack Center on TNT, ESPN Radio and in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.

Foot Locker, in its fourth year as the sponsor of the Three-Point Shootout, is part of Foot Locker, Inc., a specialty athletic retailer that operates approximately 4,000 stores in countries in North America, Europe and Australia. Through its Foot Locker, Footaction, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker and Champs Sports retail stores, as well as its direct-to-customer channel Footlocker.com/Eastbay, the Company is the leading provider of athletic footwear and apparel.

:

kingsfan
02-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Hibachi!!!! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/hungry.gif Fire up the grill.

P-O-Z
02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
kapono has a good chance

ponky
02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
i was going to go with kapono but after seeing that youtube video of arenas/stevenson, i'd say arenas will probably get it...plus, dirk has really limited his 3-point shooting this season

Rip-Hamilton32
02-08-2007, 09:41 PM
agent zero will win

johnpaulwall21
02-08-2007, 09:44 PM
im cheering for kapono all the way

dallaskd
02-08-2007, 10:21 PM
no way anyone can beat dirk

RonMexico
02-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't know if Jason Terry has a quick enough release even to get through all the racks.

stretch
02-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't know if Jason Terry has a quick enough release even to get through all the racks.
its really pathetic how in every post, you simply try to insult the Mavs. its really lame. why dont you actually try saying something that isnt insulting the Mavs, and actually requires the slightest bit of thought and knowledge about basketball, instead of fucking up this forum with your stupid shit. its funny every now and then, but when it comes down to every fucking post, its just retarded.

oh, and it wasnt his release that was his problem. anyone that watches terry shoot, knows he has a very quick release. it was him taking too much time to grab each ball.

dirk4mvp
02-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Wasn't that the case last year?

Anyways, a grab a ball off the rack contest isn't really Gilbert's thing. If Dirk doesn't win it, I'll take Miller or Jones.

RonMexico
02-08-2007, 11:44 PM
its really pathetic how in every post, you simply try to insult the Mavs. its really lame. why dont you actually try saying something that isnt insulting the Mavs, and actually requires the slightest bit of thought and knowledge about basketball, instead of fucking up this forum with your stupid shit. its funny every now and then, but when it comes down to every fucking post, its just retarded.

oh, and it wasnt his release that was his problem. anyone that watches terry shoot, knows he has a very quick release. it was him taking too much time to grab each ball.

Glad you took Kori's message to heart. I'm simply saying that I don't think Terry will have improved his ability to compete in this year's contest, so I'd be surprised if he finished all the racks. It's a simple statement of fact, but you get your little panties all in a bunch. I don't rip on the Mavs all the time (usually just the players I think are idiots/non-clutch - aka Terry and Stack).

I think it is pretty knowledgeable when I notice that Terry's entire shooting motion starts from below his waist and moves up. Can't get off 25 balls in 1:00 with that kind of shot - pretty simple to note. Joe Johnson was in the 3pt contest with the Suns and sucked it up pretty badly. Q-Rich won it because he had a quick release and little movement on his jumper so he was able to get into a rythym. Terry has a TON of movement on his jumper and releases the ball with his elbows out - aka terrible shooting form and not the quickest of releases at that. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Josh Howard has one of the quickest releases on your team.

Terry and Gilbert are PGs who like to create their shots off the dribble even if it's just a heistation move, so I don't see either of them having success in this type of contest. Catch-and-shoot guys like Dirk, Kopono, and Mike Miller will do well. This is something you might have picked up on in the 20 years the 3pt contest has been around. When you have a chance, take a look at the past winners and tell me how many of them were shoot-first PGs who often shot 3's off their own dribble.

Let's not even get into idiocy after I already destroyed your wannabe Colts/Mavs analogy after you repeatedly compared the Suns to the Colts just 3 weeks prior. I called you out on that two-faced shit and you were surprisingly absent. I should have known you'd show up out of nowhere and make a profanity-laced whiny argument with no basis in fact.

Amare_32
02-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Agent Zero will win. Quality Shot!

stretch
02-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Glad you took Kori's message to heart. I'm simply saying that I don't think Terry will have improved his ability to compete in this year's contest, so I'd be surprised if he finished all the racks. It's a simple statement of fact, but you get your little panties all in a bunch. I don't rip on the Mavs all the time (usually just the players I think are idiots/non-clutch - aka Terry and Stack).

I think it is pretty knowledgeable when I notice that Terry's entire shooting motion starts from below his waist and moves up. Can't get off 25 balls in 1:00 with that kind of shot - pretty simple to note. Joe Johnson was in the 3pt contest with the Suns and sucked it up pretty badly. Q-Rich won it because he had a quick release and little movement on his jumper so he was able to get into a rythym. Terry has a TON of movement on his jumper and releases the ball with his elbows out - aka terrible shooting form and not the quickest of releases at that. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Josh Howard has one of the quickest releases on your team.

Terry and Gilbert are PGs who like to create their shots off the dribble even if it's just a heistation move, so I don't see either of them having success in this type of contest. Catch-and-shoot guys like Dirk, Kopono, and Mike Miller will do well. This is something you might have picked up on in the 20 years the 3pt contest has been around. When you have a chance, take a look at the past winners and tell me how many of them were shoot-first PGs who often shot 3's off their own dribble.

Let's not even get into idiocy after I already destroyed your wannabe Colts/Mavs analogy after you repeatedly compared the Suns to the Colts just 3 weeks prior. I called you out on that two-faced shit and you were surprisingly absent. I should have known you'd show up out of nowhere and make a profanity-laced whiny argument with no basis in fact.
Terry actually has a very quick release. im not going to argue that his form is a little odd, but his release is very quick. if you actually watched him, instead of beating off to posters of Shawn Marion every night, you would know that. once again, he took WAY too long when grabbing the balls, and thats what killed him last year. he took too much time. and Dirk didnt exactly get his shots off in the most timely fashion either, as he clearly didnt even get his last shot off in time in the first round.

as for your Colts/Mavs thing, i havent even looked at that since i made that post. i completely forgot about that thread. but since you say you "destroyed" me, i shall look at that, and find a number of evident and ridiculous flaws in your thinking, as i do in every post of yours.

Amare_32
02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Terry actually has a very quick release. im not going to argue that his form is a little odd, but his release is very quick. if you actually watched him, once again, he took WAY too long when grabbing the balls, and thats what killed him last year. he took too much time. and Dirk didnt exactly get his shots off in the most timely fashion either, as he clearly didnt even get his last shot off in time in the first round.

as for your Colts/Mavs thing, i havent even looked at that since i made that post. i completely forgot about that thread. but since you say you "destroyed" me, i shall look at that, and find a number of evident and ridiculous flaws in your thinking, as i do in every post of yours.

instead of beating off to posters of Shawn Marion every night, you would know that. I have to admit that is funny. :lol

Both Terry and Marion have odd releases but both are effective.

dirk4mvp
02-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Diop has the prettiest J in the leauge.

stretch
02-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Diop has the prettiest J in the leauge.
:lol

RonMexico
02-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Terry actually has a very quick release. im not going to argue that his form is a little odd, but his release is very quick. if you actually watched him, instead of beating off to posters of Shawn Marion every night, you would know that. once again, he took WAY too long when grabbing the balls, and thats what killed him last year. he took too much time. and Dirk didnt exactly get his shots off in the most timely fashion either, as he clearly didnt even get his last shot off in time in the first round.

I suppose by release, I meant shooting motion. He brings the ball way down and takes it up over his head before he shoots the ball. He had to develop that stutter step move he uses a lot to get the defense to back off so he can hoist the 3's. Regardless of whether you think it took him too long to get the balls out of the rack, he still won't be able to improve his speed that much this year or he'll sacrifice points. That's always happened - players that try to change their style for the contest always end up performing poorly. Either way, it's natural for Terry to hold his follow through on his 3pt attempts and that (coupled with his lengthy shooting motion) make him a slow player in this competition. If he tries not to hold his release in order to get balls more quicky, it might throw his natural rhythm off and he won't do as well. And yes, Dirk has a very deliberate release as well. And no, Marion is not as good a 3pt shooter as Terry or Dirk and *gasp* he's not in this contest.

dave
02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
i'd want anthony parker to be in the competition, but nooo... he has to watch his sisters game...

although i have no idea how well he'd do, his release is a tad slow...

stretch
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
And no, Marion is not as good a 3pt shooter as Terry or Dirk and *gasp* he's not in this contest.

im not sure how that got thrown into the debate, but ok... its probably just another pathetic attempt of yours to act like you know what im thinking or am going to say, and trying to make yourself look like a fucking genie or something, as you have done several times in other posts, even though you are simply a pathetic moron. nothing more. nothing less.

RonMexico
02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
if you actually watched him, instead of beating off to posters of Shawn Marion every night...

#1 - you brought it up

#2 - I never said Terry wasn't a good in-game 3 point shooter - I just said he's terrible for this contest and it will REALLY surprise me if he succeeds.

#3 - I don't know why you have to bring up Marion's release in a discussion where I comment on Terry's propensity to shoot off the dribble and not having good form.

stretch
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
#1 - you brought it up

#2 - I never said Terry wasn't a good in-game 3 point shooter - I just said he's terrible for this contest and it will REALLY surprise me if he succeeds.

#3 - I don't know why you have to bring up Marion's release in a discussion where I comment on Terry's propensity to shoot off the dribble and not having good form.
actually, i never once typed a word about Marion's release. you did. go back and read.

mabber
02-09-2007, 11:06 AM

I don't recall if he had trouble with this last year or not.

mabber
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
kapono has a good chance

I think he's as good a 3 point shooter as all of them but I would imagine that the pressure will get to him (his first time).

RonMexico
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't recall if he had trouble with this last year or not.

It's just his natural inclination to hold hi release after each shot that (a) will mess up his rhythm if he tries to speed up or (b) will cause him to not get all the shots off in 1:00 if he maintains his typical pace.

mabber
02-09-2007, 01:23 PM
It's just his natural inclination to hold hi release after each shot that (a) will mess up his rhythm if he tries to speed up or (b) will cause him to not get all the shots off in 1:00 if he maintains his typical pace.

I know he's been practicing shooting the 5 racks in 1 minute after every practice over the last 2 weeks. I hope that doesn't mess up his game shooting.

ALVAREZ6
02-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Dirk wins again I say

Sacramental
02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
peja should be here.

mffl89
02-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I wonder why they didn't pick Okur...2 3pt shooting big men in the shootout

RonMexico
02-20-2007, 06:36 PM

BUMP

And fuck you, because Terry sucked just like I said.

LEONARD
02-21-2007, 09:12 AM
BUMP

And fuck you, because Terry sucked just like I said.

You also said he wouldn't get thru the racks...

but he did...

and don't tell me that the reason he sucked was because he had to speed up his shot to get thru the racks...lol

RonMexico
02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
You also said he wouldn't get thru the racks...

but he did...

and don't tell me that the reason he sucked was because he had to speed up his shot to get thru the racks...lol

Yes, that was my initial thought, and then you Mav fans told me about some local blurbs you heard about him practicing with racks and stuff. Then I said that I thought he might get through it, but it would not be his natural rhythm, so he wouldn't do well.

I'll find my follow up quote... give me some time.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
wow he got through the racks he still sucked and thats all that matters, just means more attempts then last year but less made

dirk4mvp
02-21-2007, 10:46 PM
peja should be here.

Who?