PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Big three heat up for Spurs

TMTTRIO
02-09-2007, 02:10 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020907.01D.BKNspurs.magic.21317d9.html

Big three heat up for Spurs: Duncan, Ginobili and Parker worked hard during time off

Web Posted: 02/09/2007 12:22 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

ORLANDO, Fla. — During the day-to-day grind of the NBA season, it's not unusual to see Tim Duncan sitting on the sideline during practice. Or Manu Ginobili catching a quick nap in the corner. Or Tony Parker shooting alone at a basket as the reserves scrimmage nearby.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich usually tries to give Duncan, Ginobili and Parker a chance to rest whenever the schedule allows. Usually.

Granted a rare five-day break between games after the team returned from the first leg of its rodeo trip, Popovich put his stars to work this week. The Spurs had three consecutive days of practice, and much of the time was devoted to some spirited scrimmaging between the starters and reserves.

"The practices were intense — to the point where coach had to stop it maybe a little earlier than he wanted to," Michael Finley said. "But I think it helps everybody. It gives the starters a chance to go against competition before they get into the game and maybe work on some things."

The work — coupled with the two days of rest that preceded it — looked like it benefited Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. All three were sharp in Wednesday's victory as each took turns leading the team.

Parker made seven of his first eight shots and scored 14 points in the first quarter to help the Spurs race to a 17-point lead. Duncan steadied the team in the third quarter, making five of his six shots and scoring 12 points.

Ginobili put the game away by making three 3-pointers and a pair of free throws in the first 2 minutes, 32 seconds of the fourth quarter.

"We all had our periods of time where we were all kind of able to do our thing, but we have to find a way to do it together," Duncan said. "I think we're doing a lot better at that. We're moving the ball well ... people can touch the ball.

"Not only Manu, Tony and myself, but guys are stepping up and getting open shots and knocking them down."

The Spurs hope that continues tonight when they face the Orlando Magic at Amway Arena.

"It's almost like the three guys we count on the most ... it seems like they never have a good game on the same night," Popovich said prior to Wednesday's game. "And that, combined with the bench not playing well, has been a negative for us this season."

That could be changing. Duncan has played at a high level for the past four weeks, particularly on defense, where he's averaged 12.5 rebounds and 3.6 blocks in a 13-game stretch. Ginobili averaged 17.9 points and 4.9 rebounds in January, then opened this month with a 32-point performance in last week's loss to Phoenix.

Parker's production dipped, possibly because of fatigue, but he recently seems to have caught a second wind.

In three of the past four games, the Spurs' stars have each scored at least 18 points. That happened just once in the first 45 games of the season.

"It's not always going to show up on the stat sheet," said Ginobili, who, whether starting or coming off the bench, has led the team with his energy and aggressiveness. "During some games, I'm not going to score a lot of points, but I feel useful."

The Spurs' biggest problem of late — evidenced most by their loss in Phoenix — has been generating enough support from their role players. On Wednesday, however, nearly everyone who played contributed.

Finley made three 3-pointers and scored 10 points in 18 minutes. Francisco Elson made his first start in more than a month and totaled nine points, eight rebounds and three blocks.

"You need to take advantage of your minutes — no matter if you're getting five or 40," Finley said. "I think it's very important the team as a whole accept their roles and thrive in (those) positions."

For the reserves, that included giving the Spurs' starters a little run this week.

"I think the five days off definitely helped us not only get our legs back, but also gave those guys a chance to get back on the court," Finley said. "As a result, they got a little rhythm in practice and it carried over.

"It's a lot easier when you have your top three guys playing at the top of their game."

Notebook: Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry, Washington's Gilbert Arenas, Miami's Jason Kapono, Cleveland's Damon Jones and Memphis' Mike Miller will compete in the All-Star 3-point Shootout, the NBA announced Thursday. Brent Barry, whose .465 3-point percentage ranks third in the league, was not selected. "It's kind of like not getting voted class valedictorian," Barry said. "And I had the credentials for that, too."

SilverPlayer
02-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Brent Barry, whose .465 3-point percentage ranks third in the league, was not selected. "It's kind of like not getting voted class valedictorian," Barry said. "And I had the credentials for that, too."
Smart ass.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Notebook: Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry, Washington's Gilbert Arenas, Miami's Jason Kapono, Cleveland's Damon Jones and Memphis' Mike Miller will compete in the All-Star 3-point Shootout, the NBA announced Thursday. Brent Barry, whose .465 3-point percentage ranks third in the league, was not selected. "It's kind of like not getting voted class valedictorian," Barry said. "And I had the credentials for that, too."
Man... Allstar weekend is such a joke nowadays, either do it right or get rid of it

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Jason F'in Terry?

Fuck you too NBA.

boutons_
02-09-2007, 07:40 AM
"It's kind of like not getting voted class valedictorian"

WTF is he talking about?

In my HS, the valedictorian wasn't a voting/beauty contest, was the person with the best grades.

Is valedictorian a beauty contest in some schools?

Or is Brent quicker with the tongue than he his with the cerebral licks?

JPB
02-09-2007, 07:56 AM
"It's kind of like not getting voted class valedictorian"

WTF is he talking about?

In my HS, the valedictorian wasn't a voting/beauty contest, was the person with the best grades.

Is valedictorian a beauty contest in some schools?

Or is Brent quicker with the tongue than he his with the cerebral licks?
I think that He meant :

He has the best grades (the third ones in reality) but he's not recognized as the valedictorian. He's denied the right to participate to the ASG while having one of the best %.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Nah, it was a poor simile; you can vaguely give him benefit of the doubt. He may be witty, but he didn't think that one through. :lol

That said, I had ASSUMED he was a lock for it.

Seems so random. You'd think Barry would make it since he got constant praises for leading in percentages. Maybe if he had shot unabated when the ball change occurred it would have made his case. But Barry seems like a legit 3 guy for the league. That selection sucks!

MoSpur
02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Tim needs to continue to step it up on defense. I don't think he can rely on Oberto or Elson to be all that on the defensive side when needed. They may produce once in a while, but not the majority of the time.

Gerryatrics
02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valedictorian

The title is generally awarded based on the calculated total credits of grades (overall GPA), a senior vote, the amount of dedication to certain extracurricular activities, the academic weight of classes taken, or SAT/ACT scores. In other schools the position may be elected by the school body, or appointed directly by the school administration based on a more complex system of merit (rather than grades alone).

Not sure how they select Valedictorians at De La Salle, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that a student or faculty vote had something to do with it.

It's ridiculous that Brent wasn't selected to the Three point shootout. I wonder if he got any support from the Spurs organization at all, it seems that with his percentage they should have been able to get him with perhaps just a little pressure. I'm disappointed that this was likely his last chance to win both the three point shootout and the dunk contest.

boutons_
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Brent isn't the only mysteriously missing person.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Scoring.jsp?league=00&season=22006&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=3&splitDD=All%20Teams

Several volume 3G shooters with much better %ages than Dirk/26 and Terry/29.

I guess Stern is pumping up the Mavs as next NBA Champion.

JPB
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I think with Josh Howard not selected, they wanted to add another player to represent Dallas.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Y'all are operating under a delusion that the 3-point shooting contest is an actual competition where they are trying to find the best 3-point shooter in the league.

It's not. Like the dunk contest and the skills contest, they are trying to get TV ratings for the pre-game activities. So they put people that have a little bit of recognition and flash out there.

They know the devoted NBA fan will watch. They are trying to get the casual sports watcher, maybe an NFL fan who has nothing to see now. This guy has no idea who Brent Barry is. And face it, Brent has no flash or style, and he's not an NBA star. He's just a skinny, funny-looking white guy who comes in off the bench and does some herky-jerky stuff and flips in a few 3s with his old-school set-shot style. This guy would say "who's that"? as the announcer reminds him that Brent once won the slam-dunk competition, maybe he remembers that.

Budkin
02-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Y'all are operating under a delusion that the 3-point shooting contest is an actual competition where they are trying to find the best 3-point shooter in the league.

It's not. Like the dunk contest and the skills contest, they are trying to get TV ratings for the pre-game activities. So they put people that have a little bit of recognition and flash out there.

They know the devoted NBA fan will watch. They are trying to get the casual sports watcher, maybe an NFL fan who has nothing to see now. This guy has no idea who Brent Barry is. And face it, Brent has no flash or style, and he's not an NBA star. He's just a skinny, funny-looking white guy who comes in off the bench and does some herky-jerky stuff and flips in a few 3s with his old-school set-shot style. This guy would say "who's that"? as the announcer reminds him that Brent once won the slam-dunk competition, maybe he remembers that.

Why was he allowed in the dunk contest then in 1996?

cheguevara
02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Why was he allowed in the dunk contest then in 1996?

white dunkers are good TV?

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
... And face it, Brent has no flash or style, and he's not an NBA star. He's just a skinny, funny-looking white guy who comes in off the bench and does some herky-jerky stuff and flips in a few 3s with his old-school set-shot style. This guy would say "who's that"? as the announcer reminds him that Brent once won the slam-dunk competition, maybe he remembers that.

So Jason Kapono is a more known name than Brent Barry?

cheguevara
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
:lol who the fuck is Kapono, sounds like a Hawaiian hat

it's raining, don't forget your kapono

ShoogarBear
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
:lol at people not getting the valedictorian joke.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Kapono is an incredible shooter. When I saw him at UCLA practices back in the day, he was one of the best shooters I've ever seen in person. I think he deserves to be in the 3 point contest (considering he's shooting 56% from 3), I just don't think he's a household name.

Even though he's on the Heat, I think more people know Brent Barry than know Kapono.

T Park
02-09-2007, 12:30 PM
You can practically read the WOOSH as the valedictorian joke went right over everyone's head.

Not suprisingly boutons missed it. :lol