PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Profile: Jacque Vaughn

Bruno
02-09-2007, 07:03 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_5155572

By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/04/2007 02:10:18 AM MST

As the 27th pick in the 1997 draft, Jacque Vaughn joined the Jazz with little fanfare.
He arrived in Utah just as the excruciating disappointment over the loss to the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals was finally beginning to melt away.
Vaughn was undersized but fearless. He did not possess a Jeff Hornacek-like jump shot, but he did come with a lion's heart and an unquenchable thirst to do whatever it took to play the game he loved at its highest level.
Vaughn studied John Stockton.
He watched Karl Malone.
He listened to Jerry Sloan.
And guess what?
Ten years later, Vaughn is still around, as the backup point guard
for the San Antonio Spurs.
He is the last player from the two Jazz teams that went to the Finals who remains active.
In large part, Vaughn credits his decade-long career to those formative years in Utah.
"They helped me become the player and the person I've become," he said this week, prior to the Jazz's 97-93 win over the Spurs on Wednesday night.
"I have so much admiration for Coach Sloan and his staff and what they stand for. . . . As a young player, you don't always comprehend the concepts and situations you're put in, especially the concept of time on the court. But there's no doubt in my mind that my four years here helped me stay in the league as long as I have."
Vaughn also believes that his teammates - and the environment they helped create - played a part in his longevity.
"I had some great guys in the locker room with me," he said. "John, Karl, Hornacek. So I was fortunate to see a things a lot of young players don't get to see - what it's like to approach each game as a professional, what it's like to try and get better every day, what it's like to appreciate your craft."
Vaughn, who turns 32 next week, has averaged 4 1/2 points in 637 regular-season games in his career.
But those numbers don't tell his story.
Last summer, Vaughn was a free agent. He was shopping around for a new team when the Spurs, one of the NBA's model franchises, made an offer.
"The thing that attracted us to him," said coach Gregg Popovich, "was the leadership and professionalism he exudes. He gets teams into their sets, he's tenacious on defense and he's a team player. He's the kind of player who is just a great addition for any team. We were excited when he decided to sign with us."
In San Antonio, Vaughn is the No. 3 point guard behind Tony Parker and Beno Udrih, a former first-round pick who Popovich thought would benefit from some mentoring by a veteran teammate who has been up and down the court a few times.
"Jacque comes to practice every day, he works hard, he teaches Beno and he plays hard when he gets the opportunity," Popovich said. ". . . He's done a very good job in limited minutes."
In Utah, Vaughn was the wide-eyed student. In San Antonio, he is the respected teacher.
"He's a solid, solid veteran," said Parker. "Just a great pro. . . . Every time he steps on the court, you know he's going to do a good job."
Said Bruce Bowen: "He's a great guy. He's a guy who sets a great example for everyone in our locker room, and you need guys like that in this league."
A month ago, Vaughn moved ahead of Udrih in Popovich's rotation, though the move was only temporary.
"I want to have Beno see what it's like to have somebody come off the bench with fire and passion and aggressiveness," Popovich told reporters at the time. "When he does that, he'll become a more valuable player for us."
The Spurs are Vaughn's fifth NBA team, but his fourth in the last five years. Besides Utah and San Antonio, he's played in New Jersey, Atlanta and Orlando.
It has been a nomadic existence.
"Not so bad," Vaughn said. "I'm not complaining. . . . I think I've made a contribution at each one of my stops and I think the people in those different organizations would tell you that. That's something I'm proud of."
When San Antonio showed interest in signing Vaughn, he jumped at the chance to play for a team that has won three championships in the last eight years and is one of the favorites to do it again.
"It's a great place to play," Vaughn said. "It's a classy organization with classy individuals. They do things, I believe, the way they should be done."
Married with two children under the age of three, Vaughn calls his trip to the 1998 Finals with the Jazz the highlight of his career.
"So far," he said, smiling. ". . . When you're young and able to take part in the Finals, you think, 'This is going to happen again.' But I haven't been there since. That makes me appreciate my experience in Utah even more, knowing we were able to make that step."
When Vaughn retires, he plans on staying in basketball as a coach or personnel-type.
"If he wants to coach, he'll be a coach," Popovich said. "If he wants to be in upper management, he'll be in upper management. He has the mentality for it. He has the work ethic. He understands the game. . . . When you get to know him, you know right away he's got the skills for it."
Sloan agrees: "Since he got away from me, he's been with some great coaches, like the guy he's with right now. . . . He'll be a coach in this league some day."
Jazz vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor suggests that Vaughn's future is unlimited because ". . . that's the kind of kid he is. If I'm in a retirement home 25 years from now and I hear Jacque Vaughn is a U.S. senator, I won't be surprised."

Bruno
02-09-2007, 07:04 AM
BTW, this article is five days old but I don't think it has been posted here.

JPB
02-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Nice article.
Interesting to see how Vaughn is outside the floor.

cheguevara
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
AJ was the little general

how about the little Lieutenant?

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
AJ was the little general

how about the little Lieutenant?

How about "the little engine that couldn't"....j/k

Nice story on a class guy. Props to him for sticking in the league this long.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
He'll be a coach in this league before long.

JPB
02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
AJ was the little "general" ?

wasn't it the little "colonel" ?

sorry, but I wasn't really a spurs fan back in AJ's days

No you obviously wasn't :spin

phyzik
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
AJ was the little "general" ?

wasn't it the little "colonel" ?

sorry, but I wasn't really a spurs fan back in AJ's days

Little General

phxspurfan
02-09-2007, 11:53 AM
great article, thanks for posting. also good to see that we have a glue guy other than bruce and finley

boutons_
02-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Too bad he's not as good a PG as he is a person. If that were true, he would probably be too expensive for the Spurs.

10-year career of 16 MPG, 4.5 PPG, 1.3 AST. His AST/TO is an a solid 2+, so I guess he can get it across mid-court under pressure. With no jumper, his defender will be free to sag into the paint.

Kinda scary that he is the backup PG for the Spurs who expect to go all the way.

3rd year in a row where Spurs have been horribly weak at backup PG.

I hope, but doubt, that Beno realizes how badly his regression hurts the Spurs.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I hope, but doubt, that Beno realizes how badly his regression hurts the Spurs.

I think he does realize it, which puts more pressure on him to perform when he gets out there, which he continually folds under....it's a vicious cycle.

timvp
02-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Vaughn is a great third point guard. As a backup point guard, he's below average.

Hopefully the Spurs can find a point guard at the trade deadline. I like Vaughn's energy on defense, but that's about it. He doesn't really play good defense ... it's more of a mirage. His offense is pretty horrible.

That said, he's better than Beno at this point.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Vaughn is a great third point guard. As a backup point guard, he's below average.

Hopefully the Spurs can find a point guard at the trade deadline. I like Vaughn's energy on defense, but that's about it. He doesn't really play good defense ... it's more of a mirage. His offense is pretty horrible.

If this situation goes unresolved after the 22 Feb deadline, I will have a little less confidence in this team's ability to win it all....this should be priority #1 IMO.

ArgSpursFan
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM

So ,we also have the only guy in the league who is worse tham beno?(as far as PG), Cause i really think it canīt get no worse tham beno Ubrih right now .
I canīt belive we got so weak ,as far as supporting cast.