PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan's Tidbits

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 02:06 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14581

Chris Sheridan: Greetings once again from New York, where I witnessed the showcasing of Jerome James (I know, it sounds like a contradiction of terms) first-hand the other night at MSG and picked Corey Maggette's brain about where he might get traded (he thinks the Spurs are still a possibility). Less than two weeks to go before the trade deadline, so I welcome all queries on that subject. Also, any and allVegas-themed questions will be entertained with All-Star just a week away. Let's roll ...

Tyson (Portland, OR): I keep hearing locally that the Blazers may just buy out Jamal Magloire and let him get picked up on waivers if there are no attactive trades for him. Thoughts?

Chris Sheridan: Well, the market for expiring contracts has really changed in the past year, and if the Blazers can't get anything for him, they and he would be better off with a buyout. So, yes, I could see that happening. I heard Eric Williams is a buyout candidate in San Antonio, too.

Kevin (Portland): With AI, Boozer and Yao all potentially out of the ASG, who gets in? And with Tyrus "Cut the Check" Thomas getting hurt, who replaces him in the dunk contest? My vote Travis Outlaw or James White.

Chris Sheridan: If all three are replaced, I say the three replacement picks are Howard, Anthony and Deron Williams. As for the dunk contest, I'm not sure who has popped up on the NBA's radar since the intial selections were announced, but I know they're paying attention who the bloggers and commentators are saying should have been picked. That would seem to bode well for White.

Marc (NY): Is Doug Christie really better than Maggette??? What is Mike Dunleavy doing in Clipper Land!!!

Chris Sheridan: It's clearly personal between Maggette and Dunleavy, and it's deteriorated over the past couple of days. Donald Sterling tried to mediate this one, but it only quieted things down for a while. I still think they'll move him by the deadline.

That's all I've got of relative importance to the Spurs fans from him, so discuss.....

Lebowski Brickowski
02-09-2007, 02:11 PM
:wakeup From the title I thought this was about Nicollette Sheridan.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm starting to think it might be better for White to NOT participate in the Dunk contest... He has alot of hype to live up to if he did

Ocotillo
02-09-2007, 02:44 PM
EWill is a buyout candidate? Eh, so much for other team's coveting expiring contracts.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 02:47 PM
:wakeup From the title I thought this was about Nicollette Sheridan.

That would be Sheridan's Tit bits.

Slightly different thing

timvp
02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I would be shocked if Maggette ended up in San Antonio. The good news is I don't see how the Spurs could overpay for him at this point.

If Williams isn't traded by the trade deadline, he'll be bought out a couple days later. Makes no sense to keep him around when he's barely the 12th man on the roster.

I'd love to see James White in the dunk contest. The only bad thing would be all the Spurs fans asking why he's not playing. 95% of Spurs fans don't even know he's on the team right now.

JPB
02-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Buy out E-Will ? This is the first time I hear that.

Room and money to sign someone now ?

timvp
02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Buy out E-Will ? This is the first time I hear that.

Room and money to sign someone now ?

The plan all along has been to either trade Williams or complete a buyout after the trade deadline. Buying him out would be so Holt can save some money.

JPB
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I would be shocked if Maggette ended up in San Antonio. The good news is I don't see how the Spurs could overpay for him at this point.

If Williams isn't traded by the trade deadline, he'll be bought out a couple days later. Makes no sense to keep him around when he's barely the 12th man on the roster.

I'd love to see James White in the dunk contest. The only bad thing would be all the Spurs fans asking why he's not playing. 95% of Spurs fans don't even know he's on the team right now.

Who is James White ?

;)

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
How would Holt save money on a buy-out? Williams would have to accept less money than he's owed.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 02:57 PM
How would Holt save money on a buy-out? Williams would have to accept less money than he's owed.

That's what players usually do when they are bought out - take less money than they are owed.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
That's what players usually do when they are bought out - take less money than they are owed.

But he doesn't have to. Why sign the buy-out then? The Spurs will have to give him all his money to get rid of him.

timvp
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Congrats on figuring out what a buyout is.

:clap

timvp
02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
But he doesn't have to. Why sign the buy-out then?

Because when another team picks him up, he'll make up the difference and then some.

JPB

... and make money in other team

Mr. Body
Congrats on figuring out what a buyout is.

:clap

You're such an unbelievable cock. The Spurs will have to give Williams the entire contract. He's under no obligation to take less than he's owed simply because the Spurs want to free up a roster spot.

Kori Ellis
But he doesn't have to. Why sign the buy-out then? The Spurs will have to give him all his money to get rid of him.

Most players take less money than they are owed in a buyout. Then go sign with another team and make more money. That's what a buyout is used for.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Because when another team picks him up, he'll make up the difference and then some.

Who's going to sign Eric Williams? Don't be lame.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
The plan all along has been to either trade Williams or complete a buyout after the trade deadline. Buying him out would be so Holt can save some money.

Yeah, figured this was the case, though I guess it's being brought up because the Spurs are not likely to use him in a trade...

I'm all for cutting him and signing a guy like Conroy, or someone who can fill a hole, if there are no takers by deadline time.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Most players take less money than they are owed in a buyout. Then go sign with another team and make more money. That's what a buyout is used for.

Nobody's going to sign Eric Williams for a contract. Holt won't save any money because he's doesn't plan on finding work anywhere else. He wants to be with his son, etc., and may just as soon retire.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Who's going to sign Eric Williams? Don't be lame.

Well that's what his agent will figure out - if there's interest from other teams giving him a minimum contract or whatever.

But this is pretty standard. Most buyouts are for less money than the player is owed - even if it's just for 50K less.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe. But it's foolish to assume Holt's going to save money. Maybe E-Will takes less money just to be able to retire a few months early. Seriously doubt he cares to sign anywhere else.

timvp
02-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I'll be sure to bump this thread after Williams is bought out.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Maybe. But it's foolish to assume Holt's going to save money. Maybe E-Will takes less money just to be able to retire a few months early. Seriously doubt he cares to sign anywhere else.

He's only 34. He still wants to play basketball as far as I know. He wanted to get playing time here this year and then get another contract. It's not like he's 40.

JPB
02-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Nobody's going to sign Eric Williams for a contract. Holt won't save any money because he's doesn't plan on finding work anywhere else. He wants to be with his son, etc., and may just as soon retire.

There are always teams who need a third our fourth bigman.
+ They can sign him for just the reminder of the season (= expiring contract)

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
If someone wants to give him a contract, horay for him. He's 34 going on 54. If he lets the Spurs give him less money, I'd be stunned, because there's not a team out there right now I'd expect wants him. Most teams are booked in the roster and would have to cut someone, anyway.

And Timvp, you twit, buyouts are not automatically at reduced figures.

timvp
02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I could see New Jersey signing him. Milwaukee could use him. With the power forward position getting smaller around the league, Williams is still an NBA player.

timvp
02-09-2007, 03:09 PM

That's what the term buyout means in regard to the NBA.

Name a player who got bought out and it wasn't for a reduced figure.

I'll be waiting a long time for that answer. :lol

Holt's Cat
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
The Ruxury Tax scares me. Peter says it can jump up and bite you at any time.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Buying out a player who doesn't expect to play the rest of the season is unprecedented. It's called 'waiving' the player, and that's more likely what will happen here.

If Williams actually thinks some team will waive a player (timvp's excellent examples of the Bucks and Nets above, who have full rosters) in order to sign him to the minimum, then yeah, maybe he'll accept a bit less.

JPB
02-09-2007, 03:16 PM
The only case would be for a player who couldn't find another team or would stop playing after the buyout

Holt's Cat
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
You buy him out if you are afwaid of the Ruxury Tax.

VaSpursFan
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
If someone wants to give him a contract, horay for him. He's 34 going on 54. If he lets the Spurs give him less money, I'd be stunned, because there's not a team out there right now I'd expect wants him. Most teams are booked in the roster and would have to cut someone, anyway.

NBA buyouts are done so that the team doesn't have to pay the entire remaining balance due on the players contract. thus, all buyouts are for less than what remains on the contract (C. Webb comes to mind)

it would not make economical sense to pay more for a contract than what it is worth to keep the player for the life of the contract.

e. will has a little left in the tank and could be a good role player for 10-20 mins a night. he's shown he's capable in a few games with the spurs.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
timvp is correct on nomenclature - the spurs will look to buyout his contract.

I think it is more likely they will have to waive him.

Kori Ellis
Buying out a player who doesn't expect to play the rest of the season is unprecedented. It's called 'waiving' the player, and that's more likely what will happen here.

But then it's not a buyout. It's just a player getting waived.

Kori Ellis
Sorry I see your last post, we posted at the same time.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:21 PM
NBA buyouts are done so that the team doesn't have to pay the entire remaining balance due on the players contract. thus, all buyouts are for less than what remains on the contract (C. Webb comes to mind)

it would not make economical sense to pay more for a contract than what it is worth to keep the player for the life of the contract.

e. will has a little left in the tank and could be a good role player for 10-20 mins a night. he's shown he's capable in a few games with the spurs.

Question: Was Jalen Rose bought out or waived?

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
From what I understand, "buyouts" are typically done on players who have more than one year left on their respective contracts....such as Chris Webber.

I think most players in the last year of their contracts are "waived", but I don't know if that entails paying out a lesser amount to that individual.

Buyouts don't have anything to do with length of contract.

If you get bought out, you are taking less than the amount you are owed.
If you get waived, you are just waived off the team and still get paid.

VaSpursFan
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
bought out

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Buyouts don't have anything to do with length of contract.

If you get bought out, you are taking less than the amount you are owed.
If you get waived, you are just waived off the team and still get paid.

yeah sorry...I posted, then edited real quick

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:24 PM
So will he be bought out, waived, or traded? Whaddya think?

Kori Ellis
But you are officially waived after you make an agreement to be bought out :)

timvp

At least you learned that a buyout is at a reduced figure.

If Williams actually thinks some team will waive a player (timvp's excellent examples of the Bucks and Nets above, who have full rosters) in order to sign him to the minimum, then yeah, maybe he'll accept a bit less.

Uh, the Nets have been openly shopping for a bigman all year. And for the Bucks, Jared Reiner is on a ten-day contract.

JPB
02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Suns were even thinking to buy him out too (bought out 2 times in the same year, woaw)

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
So will he be bought out, waived, or traded? Whaddya think?

I think they will try to trade him, then try to negotiate a buyout and then if he doesn't take it, he'll be waived.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Suns were even thinking to buy him out too (bought out 2 times in the same year, woaw)

BRING IN JALEN ROSE! :lol

JPB
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
If he accepts to be bought out, it will after being guarented a contract somewhere else

JPB
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
BRING IN JALEN ROSE! :lol

I've seen weirder suggestions here. :)

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
The more interesting thing in the article is about Maggette. If the Clippers have to trade him this year, they're not going to get what they originally wanted (veteran, prospect, future 1st rounder). And they probably will have to trade him this year - they've inked Dunleavy to an extension to his coaching contract and no one sees Sterling eating money by giving him the boot over Maggette. And one of them probably has to go.

Sterling may just want some productive players who aren't too expensive and, failing that, just cutting salary out.

The offers seemed to be, whether truly serious or not:

1. San Antonio: Barry+Udrih
2. Miami: Posey
3. Indiana: Dunleavy
4. Utah: ??
5. Toronto: something with MoPete

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:37 PM
What I find interesting is that Maggette seemed aware of the Spurs interest.

What I want to know is whether he's interested in the Spurs interest? Meaning, if he does get traded here, however unlikely, will he be happy as a clam?

JPB
02-09-2007, 03:39 PM
he wants playing time from what people say.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
he wants playing time from what people say.

He'd get it. Snagging him most likely means giving up Barry, so he'd take his minutes and if he played effectively enough, that'd take the pressure off of playing Fin so much. He'd also get the nod over Finley for the small ball lineup, because of his superior rebounding.

Bottom Line: If the Spurs did the deal, he wouldn't be dissapointed with his minutes.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:43 PM
How would Holt save money on a buy-out? Williams would have to accept less money than he's owed.:lmao x 3403840938504273593285-934750-74568734659847598047895743 to the tenth fucking power

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Sorry Mouse, you got dropped. :lol

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:45 PM
What I find interesting is that Maggette seemed aware of the Spurs interest.

What I want to know is whether he's interested in the Spurs interest? Meaning, if he does get traded here, however unlikely, will he be happy as a clam?

I'm sure the Spurs have talked with his agent a few times already. As for his happiness being a Spur, that's a tough call. He wants to play and wants to start. Whether he'd be happy not starting is another issue. He's also not much of a defensive player and has chaffed with disciplinarian coaches like Coach K and now Dunleavy. So the jury's out.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have talked with his agent a few times already. As for his happiness being a Spur, that's a tough call. He wants to play and wants to start. Whether he'd be happy not starting is another issue. He's also not much of a defensive player and has chaffed with disciplinarian coaches like Coach K and now Dunleavy. So the jury's out.

I'm not sure he wouldn't start, especially in the playoffs. I think Pop has been pleased with Manu's bench play....just not as thrilled about the starters who replaced him.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
OMG, the thread got even better!

I remember that one buyout where the team hated the player so much they paid him more to stop playing for them.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure he wouldn't start, especially in the playoffs. I think Pop has been pleased with Manu's bench play....just not as thrilled about the starters who replaced him.

Well, two moves Pop has made makes it look almost like they're making room for Maggette: 1) moving Manu to the bench; and 2) taking Udrih out of the rotation to trade him.

However, by accounts Maggette blows not only at man-to-man defense but also at rotations. He's a true blockhead when it comes to rotations, which is tantamount to murdering Pop's dog... on a daily basis.

That's why I don't think the Spurs do it. I think they seriously considered it, came somewhat close, but now are over the Maggette saga.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, two moves Pop has made makes it look almost like they're making room for Maggette: 1) moving Manu to the bench; and 2) taking Udrih out of the rotation.

However, by accounts Maggette blows not only at man-to-man defense but also at rotations. He's a true blockhead when it comes to rotations, which is tantamount to murdering Pop's dog... on a daily basis.

That's why I don't think the Spurs do it. I think they seriously considered it, came somewhat close, but now are over the Maggette saga.

You forgot to mention the player he moved into the starting rotation....Barry, who was a key player mentioned in the initial talks and where any discussion with the Clips would begin I'm sure.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Maggette would probably start if the Manu move is permanent (I hope it is - its working brililantly) but I doubt the move was made in any way shape or form due to anything about Magette. The chances of seeing a trade with the Clips go down are under 1% at this time. If I'm the clips - and Donald Sterling has made it very clear this is how he feels - an upset Magette is far better for my team than Ben/Barry or whatever else the Spurs have to offer.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Anyone who has seen the Spurs over the last few years should know the Manu move has nothing to do with Magette.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Then again anyone who's seen the Spurs over the past few years should probably also understand how buyouts work. :lol

Maybe I'll lower the bar.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Then again anyone who's seen the Spurs over the past few years should probably also understand how buyouts work. :lol

Maybe I'll lower the bar.

Sheridan did not mean 'buyout' the way it was pounced on literally in the thread. I believe he meant a waiver as likely too. Anyway, BFD.

Did I forgive you your almost upsettingly obtuse notion that Maggette could start as the Spurs' point guard? With peals of laughter, yes I did. I'd go track it down and post it as my signature, but I honestly don't care what trifling mistakes people make on this board.

Read the post about the Manu lineup shift again, Papi. Unnerstand 'almost'?

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Maggette would probably start if the Manu move is permanent (I hope it is - its working brililantly) but I doubt the move was made in any way shape or form due to anything about Magette. The chances of seeing a trade with the Clips go down are under 1% at this time. If I'm the clips - and Donald Sterling has made it very clear this is how he feels - an upset Magette is far better for my team than Ben/Barry or whatever else the Spurs have to offer.

At least two more years of Maggette being pissed off!?! I doubt the Clips can take it that long, and as bad as his trade value is right now, it could get alot lower the longer things drag out.

Granted, I think there are potential deals out there greater than what the Spurs could offer, but I DO think Maggette is on another squad by 22 Feb.

Oh and the Clips could do alot worse than a top-10 3pt shooter who's $6M salary comes off the books a year earlier than Maggs (we all know Sterling's penny-pinching ways).

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I'd love for you to find a post where I said Magette would start as the Spurs PG. Thats a ridiculous notion. So go ahead. Find it.

Sheridan meant buyout the way it is used everytime it is said, dumbass. If he meant he was going to be waived, he would have said as much. He said buyout because he meant buyout. WTF makes you think someone would use one word in place of a another when they have totally different meanings?

ploto
02-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I said last June that Williams would eventually be bought out. We'll see in 2 weeks.

Mr. Body
02-09-2007, 04:04 PM
He said buyout because he meant buyout. WTF makes you think someone would use one word in place of a another when they have totally different meanings?

Their meanings are hardly 'totally different'. This discussion is pointless. Eric Williams is at the end of his career, most likely, and he will not be a Spur by the end of the season. I honestly don't care how it happens or the blatherings of internet morons.

timvp
02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Tyson (Portland, OR): I keep hearing locally that the Blazers may just buy out Jamal Magloire and let him get picked up on waivers if there are no attactive trades for him. Thoughts?

Chris Sheridan: Well, the market for expiring contracts has really changed in the past year, and if the Blazers can't get anything for him, they and he would be better off with a buyout. So, yes, I could see that happening. I heard Eric Williams is a buyout candidate in San Antonio, too.

Maybe the Blazers will just waive Magloire. Don't want to mess with that complicated buyout stuff.

Seriously though, if Maglore is a free agent, I wouldn't mind the Spurs picking him up. Could he be worse than Oberto?

I said last June that Williams would eventually be bought out.

Way to go far, far out on a limb.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Maybe the Blazers will just waive Magloire. Don't want to mess with that complicated buyout stuff.

Seriously though, if Maglore is a free agent, I wouldn't mind the Spurs picking him up. Could he be worse than Oberto?

Averaging 5 and 5 in 18mpg, so on the surface it seems like a wash with both. He seems to have really regressed since his all-star season.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
The discussion is pointless because you're the only idiot around here who can't seem to recognize the complete difference between a BO and simply being waived.

timvp
02-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Averaging 5 and 5 in 18mpg, so on the surface it seems like a wash with both. He seems to have really regressed since his all-star season.

Magloire can block shots, which is always a plus in the Spurs' system.

Bruno
02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
he thinks the Spurs are still a possibility

Interesting. :)
Maggette's deal isn't as dead as it seems.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Magloire can block shots, which is always a plus in the Spurs' system.

Isn't he one of the slowest bigs in the league? I thought (besides his prohibitive contract) that was one of the reasons the Spurs got rid of Rasho. Although, unlike Rasho, Magloire does dunk the ball....albiet with his eyes closed... :lol

Holt's Cat
02-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Maggette would help the rotation out a lot, but this team needs another big.

Bruno
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Magloire will be quite useless against Mavs and Suns but usefull against Houston.

Spurs haven't a player bigger than 6'10" and heavier than 250 lbs outside Duncan : it can hurt them in certain matchups (as soon as tonight against Howard). Spurs bigs must be versatile enough to defend on Yao and on Dirk.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Maggette would help the rotation out a lot, but this team needs another big.

The team also needs a legit backup PG. Too many problems not enough assets for a solution. It seems to me, Maggette would have the biggest impact of any potential acquisition.

Maddog
02-09-2007, 04:43 PM
The team also needs a legit backup PG. Too many problems not enough assets for a solution. It seems to me, Maggette would have the biggest impact of any potential acquisition.

Probably-
At best might fix two of these at least none. It will be interesting. I suspect they may get a backup point, with the other areas left untouched although not from lack of looking.
Maggette has two years beyond this year on his contract- not outrageous, but not cheap. IF, I repeat IF the Clipps are interested in a deal, the Spurs really have to ask themselves is he worth it. I think he would be

needs
an athletic wing
A decent big PF/C
backup point

MoSpur
02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Sheridan said he spoke to Maggette. So Maggette then seems to think that he may end up in San Antonio. That has to be because he agent is telling him something. I would not be surprised if the Spurs land him. It would be a plus over Barry.

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Magloire>>>>>>>>Oberto

ploto
02-09-2007, 10:18 PM
5. Toronto: something with MoPete
Mo ain't going nowhere. He has turned into Mr. Crunch Time for the Raptors. Another big dagger MP-3 tonight late against the Lakers.

ploto
02-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Way to go far, far out on a limb.
Better prediction than all the people talking about him being the coveted long 3.

mountainballer
02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
(this was also mentioned in the trade possibilities thread by another poster.)

Chris Sheridan has mentioned in his insider chat, that he has heard, that Williams is a buyout candidate in SA.

not that it would be surprising, that the Spurs don't have any more use for him, but what would be the reasons and/or the next steps?
I don't think, that Williams would take less than his salary as a buyout. why should he? he likely won't be signed by another team. so the buyout wouldn't save the Spurs money (also not lux tax money, as far as I know)

so the only point is, that it opens a roster spot.
does it mean, that the Spurs are going to sign a FA? (KvH ?)
(question: could the Spurs use the LLE, if they sign a Euro FA?)

some Euroleague players come to my mind (don't know if they have opt-out for NBA clauses though, but some have it in their contracts)

Alck Acker (Olympiacos), Michale Wright (Pau), Marcus Haislip (Efes), Antonis Fotsis (Dynamo Moscow), Aaron Miles (Pau) and especially Nicola Vujcic (Maccabi, Spurs liked him for many years, talked to him several times)

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2007, 11:13 AM
do we still have the mle? or lle?
i say we trade him.....+ oberto + beno

Sam
02-10-2007, 11:14 AM
God we can only hope this happens so we can bring someone else in.

Sam
02-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I think we would if we could. No one want them.

mountainballer
02-10-2007, 11:16 AM

if they think of a buyout, they obviously don't think about trading him in a package, because this would bring back salary. his expiring contract is only interesting for teams, that want to send back a longer term contract.

Bruno
02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
don't know if they have opt-out for NBA clauses though, but some have it in their contracts

:nope
They have opt-out clause at the end of the season, not in the middle of it.

Manu_The _Best
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM

NOBODY WANTS THOSE GUYS...That's the problem...

Bruno
02-10-2007, 11:33 AM
About Williams, the most likely scenoario is that Spurs trade him to a team to go under the luxury tax threshold and then this team bought him out.

Spurs are curently $1M over the tax and this $1M will cost $5M to Spurs' owners : reducing Spurs payroll to go under the tax will be one of the top priority of Spurs FO.

BTW, Spurs have involved a third team (Atlanta) in the failed JR Smith last year because they wanted to go under the tax with this trade. Without the goal to go under the tax, Spurs would have done the deal without trying to use a third team.

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2007, 11:44 AM
this is what we should try and do

either trade him to the wiz + filler for either brendan haywood, or etan thomas which will solve out reb and presence down low.

cutting him, wtf are we going to sign?

Kori Ellis
02-10-2007, 11:54 AM
There's already a four-page thread about it ...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59866