PDA

View Full Version : Bowen Article in SI

Lebowski Brickowski
02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
1. What makes Bruce Bowen the best defender in the NBA?

ANSWER: His teammates wandered off the court, laughing at and insulting each other as they climbed onto the team bus to their hotel. It was noon on Wednesday, seven hours before the evening's game in Washington against the Wizards, and Bruce Bowen was on the court, practicing his free throws and three-pointers with a Spurs assistant coach.

"Preparation, preparation, preparation,'' Brett Brown, who also serves as San Antonio's director of player development, called out to Bowen. "Twenty-five makes.''

That was the number of threes required by Bowen to complete his drill. The extended workout was ordered not by the team, but by Bowen. In between shots he breathed warm air into his cupped hands.

"Game 7, Detroit,'' yelled the assistant, drawing on a positive memory as he fed Bowen another three-pointer. Which Bowen then drilled, just as he had done in the decisive fourth quarter of the NBA Finals two years ago against the Pistons.

Rare is the day that Bowen isn't putting in extra time. When the Spurs are given a day off, he comes to their practice facility anyway for a full workout. On normal practice days he arrives early for a half hour of additional training before his teammates join him on the court. On game days, like this one, he typically extends his shoot-around a full 30 minutes after the others have left the building. The session ended Wednesday with the ceremonial wrapping of his waist by a Spurs trainer to relieve the aching in Bowen's lower back.

Bowen is 35. And yet he remains the best perimeter defender -- correction: he is the NBA's best defender -- despite his age. Instead of retiring, he is improving.

"It's a matter of will, that's all,'' Bowen says of the secret to good defense. "There was a time, when we were coming up playing, that the only way you got on the floor was if you played defense. Now I'm talking about guys like Glen Rice. People [today] would be, like, 'Glen Rice played defense?' But Glen did.''

Most players did, to varying extents. Now fewer and fewer do, it seems. Which makes Bowen more and more valuable to a team like the Spurs that thrives on a traditional approach to defense.

When Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has appeared at high school clinics over the years, he has always urged the least talented players to become good defenders. "Because if you can play defense,'' Popovich says, "I guarantee you that your coach is going to find a spot for you on that team.''

As an evangelist, Popovich admits, he is a failure. "I think it goes in one ear and out the other,'' he says. "Because everybody wants to be that other guy. When you're young and growing up, you emulate the guy who is blocking the shots, dunking the basketball, shooting the threes, getting the attention, and that's where we all gravitate because we're all human. But in Bruce's case, he figured out early that he wasn't all that skilled in some areas. He was intelligent enough to figure out what could be valuable to a team.

"It's hard for most of us to make that decision because you have to admit certain things about your game. And no matter what level most of us played at, we don't want to do that: We're all better than the coach thought we were, and we should have started and we should have played more. But Bruce has never thought that way.''

Bowen went undrafted in 1993 after averaging 16.3 points as a senior for Cal State-Fullerton. He played in France, the CBA and briefly with the Miami Heat before landing with the Celtics for the following two seasons. He then bounced from Philadelphia to Miami. Bowen was 30 when Popovich called him personally -- a salutation that honors Bowen to this day -- to discuss his impending move to San Antonio, where he has played every game for the past five years.

"I never looked at it as, 'This is ridiculous, man,' " Bowen says of his nomadic five years. And now that he's made his home in San Antonio? "I don't look at things that way, because if you do it tends to bring about a certain feeling that you're settled. And if you settle, then you don't have any desire to get better.''

Others in the NBA are complaining that proper defense can no longer be played on the perimeter because hand-checking has been outlawed in order to liberate the All-Star slashers to drive to the basket. Amid this oppressive climate, Bowen is fulfilling his desire to improve. Despite his advancing age, he is having, according to Popovich, "maybe his best year'' at the defensive end by focusing ever more on the fundamentals.

"You've got to get lower, you've got to be quicker,'' he says. "My biggest thing is to make sure I show my hands. Because a lot of times the officials call for things like this'' -- he stabs out with his hands -- "jabbing at the ball, touching your midsection, things like that.

"So if he puts the ball on the floor, I have my hands out and they can see my hands. Then whenever contact is made, if he goes into me, I go, 'Hey!' The official sees my hands, and then it's like, 'I've got to give him the benefit of the doubt here.' ''

"People say he's dirty,'' says Bowen's teammate Tim Duncan. "He's not dirty. He just puts a different level of defense on people that people aren't used to. He's in people's faces from start to finish, he's within proximity on every shot that you take, and that's just uncomfortable for people.''

A few hours later Bowen returned to the arena for a duel with Caron Butler, the 6-7 All-Star forward of the Southeast-leading Wizards. Antawn Jamison's knee injury made Butler's contributions more important than ever to Washington, and at 228 pounds he held a 28-pound advantage over the 6-7 Bowen. Bowen nonetheless succeeded in forcing Butler to miss his first five shots. The Spurs ran out to a 33-16 advantage in the first quarter on their way to a 110-83 win.

"He did a great job,'' Butler said after finishing with 15 points on 7-of-18 shooting. But it's in the nature of the best scorers that they never want to give too much credit to Bowen. They accuse him of flopping and grandstanding and dirty play.

"The first play, when I went up for the rebound -- the first flop -- I was like, 'I didn't touch him,' " Butler said. "But you know he set the tone right there. He was everywhere and he made things really difficult for me to get into a rhythm.''

Popovich believes that his team is turning the corner defensively, and locking down as a group. If so, then the West may quickly become a three-team race.

"It's a five-man focus,'' he says, "where [earlier this season] we had one or two guys playing well.''

One of those guys was Bowen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/02/08/weekly.quiz/1.html

johnpaulwall21
02-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I wish i could go one on one with bowen and see how good his defense is.

FromWayDowntown
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
From the same source . . . .

5. Why do star players think that Bruce Bowen is dirty?

ANSWER: Ray Allen and others complain that Bowen puts them in situations that could lead to injury, that, for example, he will slide his foot under them as they're landing from a jump shot. (The Mavericks' Josh Howard, who is Bowen's defensive heir, is beginning to hear the same kind of accusations.) Bowen denies the charges, while admitting that he is always trying to distract opponents from putting the ball in the basket.

When I hear these kinds of complaints, it reminds me just how friendly players have become with one another. In the 1980s and earlier it was assumed that they would do everything they could get away with to beat each other -- and if they didn't, then they weren't earning their money. But now an approach like Bowen's is unusual. Of course, Allen has every right to complain if he feels that an opponent is dirty, but it's easy to single out Bowen because so few players are as ambitious defensively.

It's almost like you've broken the code if you're really trying to stop me,'' Gregg Popovich says. "But that's not the deal here. Bruce doesn't play that game. When people complain, it's mostly a frustration that for the rest of the night I've got to put up with this, and this guy is going to be in my chest and he's going to be after me every second, and they don't like it. They don't like it.''

"Sometimes I think guys are concerned with being accepted by the All-Stars,'' Bowen says. "They don't want to create any controversy.''

To illustrate his point, Bowen briefly acts out both parts of a skit in which the All-Star scorer has been fouled rather violently by the no-name defender. He even deepens his voice for dramatic effect.

"Hey man, what were you doing?'' the All-Star complains threateningly.

"Oh, I'm sorry,'' responds the meek defender. "I want to make sure we stay friends through the year.''

(Curtain.)

"At this point right here it's not about being friends,'' Bowen goes on, in his normal voice. "It's about me getting the job done, and them [the scorers] doing their best to get the job done as well. I know Kobe night in and night out is going to compete to the best of his ability against me whether they're up 20 or down 20, and vice versa with me.

"I think more of the guys I guard who used to have big problems with me, they're starting to see that 'that's just the way he is,' " adds Bowen, referring to himself. "Off the court it's different; we can sit and have a conversation. But on the court I have a job to do and I would be doing my team, my organization and myself and those who are following behind me a disservice if I just let you do whatever it is you want to do.''

9. Has Bruce Bowen given up hope of ever winning the Defensive Player of the Year award?

ANSWER: The reason he hasn't won it is because of his controversial style. But to answer the question: No, he hasn't.

"I would love to have it,'' he says. "It's not a selfish award. What I mean by that is, maybe a guy got scoring champion but he missed [passing to] his teammates who were wide open for shots. But if I'm doing a great job defensively, that means we're not allowing them to score at a high pace and the team wins as a result.''

Out of sympathy, I point out to Bowen that no category is more misunderstood than the defensive player award.

"It's amazing,'' he agrees. "They say, 'This guy led the league in rebounding, so he's the Defensive Player of the Year.' But, OK, when it came time to get stops for his team, was he able to do that? Or [the same goes for] guys who roam to block shots.

"When you can limit a guy, especially a wing player at what he does, than you're just like Michael Cooper. He was great at it. He had a lot of situations like I've had, where he had guys who were bigger and taller, or bigger and faster. I'm at a disadvantage: I'm 195 [pounds] soaking wet, and I'm going up against guys who are 215, 220, 6-9, 6-10, those kinds of guys.

"It's something that I would love to have,'' he says of the only individual award he has ever sought. "I would love to have that.''

CubanMustGo
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
9. Has Bruce Bowen given up hope of ever winning the Defensive Player of the Year award?

ANSWER: The reason he hasn't won it is because of his controversial style. But to answer the question: No, he hasn't.

He hasn't won it because night in, night out, he takes on whatever challenge the other team can throw at him and more often than not does well, and when you have pussy boys like Gayllen calling him out all the time it impacts the stupid people who vote for this award.

timvp
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Despite his advancing age, he is having, according to Popovich, "maybe his best year'' at the defensive end by focusing ever more on the fundamentals.

The stats say Bowen is having his best year defensively since the 2002-03 season. He's had a couple games where he played poorly defensively, but that happens every season. On the whole, Bowen has had a very good year on that end of the court.

Hopefully it keeps up.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
He hasn't won it because night in, night out, he takes on whatever challenge the other team can throw at him and more often than not does well, and when you have pussy boys like Gayllen calling him out all the time it impacts the stupid people who vote for this award.

Even though he hasn't won DPOY, which is voted by media - he's actually garnered the most votes in the All-Defensive team voting before, which is by coaches.

I think that says a lot.

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
The stats say Bowen is having his best year defensively since the 2002-03 season. He's had a couple games where he played poorly defensively, but that happens every season. On the whole, Bowen has had a very good year on that end of the court.

Hopefully it keeps up.

But wait....aren't there those on this forum who SWEAR he's lost a step and think he should be replaced in the starting lineup?

Kori Ellis
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM
But wait....aren't there those on this forum who SWEAR he's lost a step and think he should be replaced in the starting lineup?

Yeah those people have been saying it for 3 years :lol

Obstructed_View
02-09-2007, 03:19 PM
He hasn't won it because 25 percent of the voters won't even put him in their top three, which kills his chances. Bruce's job is to go against their superstar; they resent him. The fact that he ever finishes as high as he does despite the obvious effort to freeze him out of the award is impressive.

VaSpursFan
02-09-2007, 03:20 PM

true spurs fan know that Bowen hasn't lost a step...our defense did. Bowen does his job and funnels the player baseline into the big. having franberto back there just doesn't scare opposing players so it seems like bruce is getting lit up by his man.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Nice. Keeping this thread on my bump list for when the unwashed masses start to complain.

Obstructed_View
02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
true spurs fan know that Bowen hasn't lost a step...our defense did. Bowen does his job and funnels the player baseline into the big. having franberto back there just doesn't scare opposing players so it seems like bruce is getting lit up by his man.
You mean having Finlhorry back there doesn't scare opposing players. Look who's on the floor at the end of the game.

FromWayDowntown
02-09-2007, 03:35 PM
He hasn't won it because 25 percent of the voters won't even put him in their top three, which kills his chances. Bruce's job is to go against their superstar; they resent him. The fact that he ever finishes as high as he does despite the obvious effort to freeze him out of the award is impressive.

I think at lot of the reason that Bowen hasn't won the award boils down to the fact that most of what he does well hasn't really been measurable (or at least measured) in past years. The Spurs staff could have concocted some hokey numbers like the Pacers did for Artest a few years ago, but: (1) that wouldn't be the Spurs style; and (2) it would sell Bowen's work short for the purpose of garnering an individual award.

Other than the Artest year, Bowen has lost out to guys with measurables that can be easily found on ESPN -- rebounds, blocks, steals. Bowen doesn't do those things, at least not with any great frequency. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a remarkably effective defender, no matter where you stand on the style of his play.

As new metrics become available, the numbers will show what Spurs fans (and NBA coaches) have been able to see for themselves in closely watching what Bowen does on a nightly basis. Yeah, he gets lit up a couple of times a year. But on 75-80 nights each season, he takes the toughest backcourt/wing cover that an opposing team presents and manages to hold that guy down or at least make him become a volume shooter to be a scorer. There's nobody else in the Association who can make that claim, I think.

itzsoweezee
02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
You mean having Finlhorry back there doesn't scare opposing players. Look who's on the floor at the end of the game.

word

AFBlue
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM

:lol ...Franberto, I like it.

Though, don't you usually have to be good (or at least good-looking) to get one of those combined names??

freemeat
02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Even though he hasn't won DPOY, which is voted by media - he's actually garnered the most votes in the All-Defensive team voting before, which is by coaches.

I think that says a lot.

I agree. A lot of the media that votes for these things is made up by complete idiots. If you watch enough of the games on League Pass, as I do, you get to hear some of the commentary made by "analysists" and play-by-play announcers. Most of the time, they're just completely off the mark and show a lack of knowledge of the game.

When you have guys like Allen complaining about Bruce, it really influences the media that votes. I guarantee none of the voters in the Washington area are voting for him because he frustrates the main guy on their favorite team. It's stupid, but Kori has a valid point.

It's much more of a compliment when the coaches give him the accolades rather than the media.

Anyone know who the oldest player was to ever win the award?

ShoogarBear
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Anyone know who the oldest player was to ever win the award?Dikimbe Mutumbo was 116 the first time he won it.

phxspurfan
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
"You've got to get lower, you've got to be quicker,''

haha! somebody actually says that?!

"Nobody drops 81 on the mongoose!!"

FirebatMIV
02-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Dikimbe Mutumbo was 116 the first time he won it.

I'm pretty sure that record is going to be shattered by Greg Oden.

The Truth #6
02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
This could be his best chance to finally win it. AK47 isn't getting the attention he got a few years ago, same for Ben Wallace. I don't think anyone would vote for Artest. Anyone have ideas for who would win it this year?

FirebatMIV
02-09-2007, 07:51 PM
This could be his best chance to finally win it. AK47 isn't getting the attention he got a few years ago, same for Ben Wallace. I don't think anyone would vote for Artest. Anyone have ideas for who would win it this year?

I'm sure they'll give it to Shawn Marion or Josh Howard.

cornbread
02-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm sure they'll give it to Shawn Marion or Josh Howard.

This would be a joke. A very bad joke.