PDA

View Full Version : Time to give Luke Walton his props!

LakeShow
02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I've seen players miss playing time from time to time this season for the lakers but I have to say that I've noticed a bigger decline in the lakers play since Waltons been out. The passing is not as crisp and they're not moving the ball around as much as they do with him in the lineup. He does all of the entangibles for the lakers that doesn't show up on the boxscore. He is a valuable Laker!

Chris Childs
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
And Kobe?

LakeShow
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
And Kobe?

Kobe's MVP! The team only played a couple of games without Kobe to come to any conclusions on how well the lakers played while he was out but from game one without walton, there was a drop in play.

Bob Lanier
02-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Luke is underrated. He's probably the best Walton the NBA's seen since Bill.

LakeShow
02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Luke is underrated. He's probably the best Walton the NBA's seen since Bill.

So true. I think most lakers fans underestimate his importance to the lakers. I may have before but I don't now.

MrChug
02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Yup, I'm a Luke fan. He plays hard and he's smart. Props.

Mavschick
02-09-2007, 04:17 PM
So true. I think most lakers fans underestimate his importance to the lakers. I may have before but I don't now.

Walton would make a great point forward if he isn't already playing that kind of role (I wouldn't know as I don't really get to watch the Lakers that much): great passer, decent ball-handler, is pretty smart, etc. He reminds me of Antoine Walker in his prime with the Celtics.

Mavschick
02-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Who else has there been??

Lol, I was just about to say that perhaps it's because he's the only Walton the NBA has seen since Bill.

LakeShow
02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Walton would make a great point forward if he isn't already playing that kind of role (I wouldn't know as I don't really get to watch the Lakers that much): great passer, decent ball-handler, is pretty smart, etc. He reminds me of Antoine Walker in his prime with the Celtics.

True and he does handle the ball for the lakers in certain situations. Those qualities are what the lakers have been missing since he's been out. I like to look at him as another Rick Fox without the stellar defense that Fox plays but he has improved in that area as well.

JamStone
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Deep into an eight game roadtrip doesn't help either.

They probably miss Luke some, but at least for last night, Kobe and Lamar played like shit. Luke wouldn't have helped last night. The team looked tired and disinterested.

I didn't watch their other recent games to see if that's how they've been playing, but Kobe kept turning the ball over and Lamar was not consistently aggressive on offense.

I think the loss of Kwame Brown needs to be made mentioned as well. Without Kwame, Andrew Bynum is their only legit center. Even though Turiaf can play well, it's not like Turiaf can defend on the lowblock consistently effective.

Mavschick
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Don't forget his awesome perimeter shooting either. He really contributes in a lot of ways.

Bob Lanier
02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Who else has there been??
There was also the towel-waving Milwaukee guard Lloyd Johnson, whose accomplishments have unjustly been forgotten.

LakeShow
02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Deep into an eight game roadtrip doesn't help either.

They probably miss Luke some, but at least for last night, Kobe and Lamar played like shit. Luke wouldn't have helped last night. The team looked tired and disinterested.

I didn't watch their other recent games to see if that's how they've been playing, but Kobe kept turning the ball over and Lamar was not consistently aggressive on offense.

I think the loss of Kwame Brown needs to be made mentioned as well. Without Kwame, Andrew Bynum is their only legit center. Even though Turiaf can play well, it's not like Turiaf can defend on the lowblock consistently effective.

Oh definitely Kwame being out hurts Bynum's development. He has to play too cautious in fear of fouling out and the lakers having no other legitimate center on the roster.

Kobe and lamar have had to handle the ball much more without Luke. His line is 11.7 ppg, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal. Walton would handle the ball a lot for the lakers if not hurt and the passing has definitely took a slide since he's been out. The guy is very good at that.

ponky
02-09-2007, 04:59 PM
yup, they are really missing Luke right now...just win one of the next two (probably the cavs?) to at least come out at 0.500 on the road trip

P-O-Z
02-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Kobe's MVP! The team only played a couple of games without Kobe to come to any conclusions on how well the lakers played while he was out but from game one without walton, there was a drop in play.
i would have to agree wit you

Medvedenko
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Him being out, that being Luke hurts a lot...I thought Vlad Rad would help, but he's been eratic to say the least. I don't mind Brown being out, alas our Front Line is weak without him. Hoping Brown and Mihm return in March/April. I'm still astonished that we're 10 games over 500 with all the injuries.

Axl Van Dam
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
:hungry: I'd love to have this guy on the Spurs. :hungry:

Tradition
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Man I am really excited about the future of this franchise. They dont stay down for long and get right back into the talks of the elites. This is why they are the best franchise in NBA history. Celts havent even been elites in about 2 decades.

baseline bum
02-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Walton's really underrated. After watching the guy at Arizona, I was always shocked at how no one thought he could play in the NBA. He's a scrappy guy, with great passing skills and a pretty good shot. Any team in the league could use him, and he should do well in free agency this summer.

Purple & Gold
02-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I've always given Walton his props he's a very good player. His defense sucks, but oh well. He's a damn good passer and a real smart player. He even rebounds well. Him being gone has really hurt us. And with Kwame out that just hurts us even more.

Purple & Gold
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Man I am really excited about the future of this franchise. They dont stay down for long and get right back into the talks of the elites. This is why they are the best franchise in NBA history. Celts havent even been elites in about 2 decades.
I think it has a lot to do with Dr. Buss that's what makes us so great. He's the one that wanted Magic and he went after Bynum. All ex-players always have jobs somewhere with the Lakers. He takes care of them, that's what makes the Lakeshow so great. We've always been competitive since day 1. How many teams can rebuild in 3 years? And now that it's being handed down to the family, I don't ever see us falling. :king

JMarkJohns
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
... is pretty smart, etc.

Lute Olson has said Walton is the smartest ball player he's ever seen. Not just coached, but seen. Besides him being able to see things others don't, he also sees things that others can't. He's a master of angles and anticipating a defensive reaction to the "show or tell" of offensive players.

His basketball IQ and instincts are his greatest strengths. His hustle comes next. Next, the fundamentals like spacing, positioning and footwork. After these are the basic basketball skills such as rebounding, dribbling, passing and shooting.

For as good a player as he is, I anticipate him being an even better coach.

RonMexico
02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I've seen players miss playing time from time to time this season for the lakers but I have to say that I've noticed a bigger decline in the lakers play since Waltons been out. The passing is not as crisp and they're not moving the ball around as much as they do with him in the lineup. He does all of the entangibles for the lakers that doesn't show up on the boxscore. He is a valuable Laker!

The triangle is dependent on sharp cuts, good passes and timing and Luke Walton has a very firm grasp of the offense, so his absence is probably making more of a difference than what can be seen in the box score.

Even though I'm convinced he'll be the next NBA player to come out... with his boyfriend Richard Jefferson.

LakeShow
02-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Even though I'm convinced he'll be the next NBA player to come out... with his boyfriend Richard Jefferson.

You think? I would think that Nash, Dirk and Cuban's love triangle to be the next breaking story. Then we can hear the real story on why Cuban got rid of Nash. He was getting too much of Dirkies attention.

RonMexico
02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
You think? I would think that Nash, Dirk and Cuban's love triangle to be the next breaking story. Then we can hear the real story on why Cuban got rid of Nash. He was getting too much of Dirkies attention.

I was just in Dallas this weekend performing a sting operation... plan on the Dirk gay pics later this week.

I just hate Luke's asshole face - his constant open-mouthed expression can mean only one thing...

Still, I admit he's much-improved and integral to the Lakers success. Just like Diaw is for the Suns - their ability to pass, create and make good decisions keep the offenses flowing.