PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Magic dunk thwarts Spurs

Kori Ellis
02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Magic dunk thwarts Spurs: Howard's catch-and-slam with .2 left lifts Orlando

Web Posted: 02/09/2007 10:38 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021007.01C.BKNspurs.magic.gamer.1bc21ec.html

ORLANDO, Fla. — In the past few days, Gregg Popovich has said he thinks the Spurs have started to "turn the corner." If that's true, they did so only to run into the oversized chest of Orlando center Dwight Howard on Friday.
Howard flushed a vicious dunk over Tim Duncan off an inbounds pass with .2 seconds left as the Magic rallied from a 18-point deficit to beat the Spurs 106-104 at Amway Arena.

"Dwight Howard had to go up and touch the clouds over Timmy and get it one-handed and put it in," Brent Barry said. "It was a remarkable play and that was the one play that made the difference."

Howard scored 30 points on 11-of-14 shooting.

Duncan had 24 points, 16 rebounds and six assists and Barry and Michael Finley combined for 39 points, but it wasn't enough to counter Orlando's tandem of Howard and point guard Jameer Nelson.

Nelson scored 24 of his 31 points in the second half.

"Jameer got them back in the game," Popovich said, "and got hotter than a firecracker."

After the Magic pulled within a point late in the fourth quarter, Finley drilled a 3-pointer. After blocking Bo Outlaw's shot near the basket, Finley made an 18-footer from the baseline to extend the Spurs' lead to 101-95 with 2:44 left.

That, however, wasn't enough to put the Magic away. After Duncan was stripped of the ball, J.J. Redick drove for a fast-break layup while drawing a foul from Manu Ginobili.

Redick made the free throw to complete the three-point play and cut the Spurs' lead to 103-102 with 46.9 seconds left.

Bruce Bowen missed a pair of free throws with 27.9 seconds left. But Duncan batted the rebound out to Bowen, who quickly shoveled the ball to Parker, who was intentionally fouled.

Parker missed his first free throw, but made the second to give the Spurs a 104-102 advantage with 24.5 seconds left. After a timeout, Nelson, isolated on Parker above the key, dribbled the clock down before driving into the lane and hitting a 13-foot pull-up to tie the game with 5.9 seconds left.

After a timeout, Parker tried to answer, but his off-balance shot was easily swatted away by Howard. Nelson grabbed the rebound and called timeout with .8 seconds left.

"The play was for Manu, but they defended it pretty well, so we were unable to get him the ball," Finley said. "Tony was the next option and he was to make a play for himself or a teammate, and Dwight made a great defensive play."

Much like they did two nights earlier against the Washington Wizards, the Spurs quickly put the Magic on their heels. Barry got a dunk and a pair of layups on three fast-break opportunities and added a 3-pointer in the first 41/2 minutes.

The Spurs led by as many 12 in the first quarter, then watched their lead grow to 44-26 midway through the second quarter.

Unlike the Wizards, however, the Magic refused to go quietly. Howard took advantage of Francisco Elson and Fabricio Oberto inside while Redick, a rookie guard who hadn't been playing much until recently, kept Orlando within striking distance by scoring 13 points in the first half.

The Spurs were facing another wounded opponent.

Orlando was missing two starters — guard Grant Hill and center Tony Battie, and two of its top reserves — forward Trevor Ariza and guard Keyon Dooling — all because of injuries.

After opening the season 13-4 to vault near the top of the Eastern Conference standings, the Magic have been on a steady decline in recent weeks.

They entered Friday having lost 11 of their previous 14 games.

Through it all, however, Howard has continued to develop into one of the NBA's most-feared young big men. He frequently overpowered Elson, putting him in foul trouble. The Spurs' double teams also weren't much help.

Howard went up and under Duncan for a layup to reduce the Spurs' lead to 69-63 with 5:40 left in the third quarter. Barry drilled an open 3-pointer and then fed Duncan for a layup.

After a pair of free throws by Nelson brought the Magic within three later in the quarter, Barry answered with another 3-pointer.

But while Barry was doing his best to preserve the Spurs' lead on one end of the floor, Nelson also was warming up. He scored 13 points in the third quarter and ended the period by burying a 3-pointer over Barry — after the Magic kept the possession alive with three offensive rebounds — to tie the game at 80.

"We were assuming that was their run," Barry said. "We just really had to play one solid quarter to sock it away. We still had opportunities down the end and missed some assignments and didn't get it done."

Nelson added another 3-pointers and a long jumper on consecutive possessions early in the fourth quarter to nudge Orlando to an 85-84 lead.

"We can't throw the season in right now," Finley said. "We have to look at the positives and try to build upon them and look at the negatives as well and try and eliminate them. That's the first step in turning this thing around."

Kori Ellis
02-10-2007, 12:42 AM
All I can say is I told you all JJ Redick is a baller.

:lol Lighting up Brent Barry isn't a big feat.

dbreiden83080
02-10-2007, 12:43 AM
They should have run a play to get Finley an open shot he was hot this game he would have knocked it down.

Kori Ellis
02-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Ehh... it shouldn't have come to any last minute plays.

Spurs need to start holding on to big leads (and playing some D).

Obstructed_View
02-10-2007, 12:49 AM
:lol Lighting up Brent Barry isn't a big feat.
Since Barry scored 21 on only one more shot attempt than Reddick I'd hardly say he was lit up. Ginobili and Parker on the other hand...

Kori Ellis
02-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Since Barry scored 21 on only one more shot attempt than Reddick I'd hardly say he was lit up. Ginobili and Parker on the other hand...

Did you watch?

Barry was the one guarding Redick when he went off in the second when he had 12 points (Manu was on him on a couple possessions). Barry was the one guarding Jameer in the third when he got hot.

I'm not blaming the whole game on Barry, but this might have been his worse defensive outing ever.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Did you watch?

Barry was the one guarding Redick when he went off in the second when he had 12 points (Manu was on him on a couple possessions). Barry was the one guarding Jameer in the third when he got hot.

I'm not blaming the whole game on Barry, but this might have been his worse defensive outing ever.
I didn't get to see this game, so when Barry said this

"We just really had to play one solid quarter to sock it away. We still had opportunities down the end and missed some assignments.."

did he have himself in mind?

Obstructed_View
02-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Did you watch?

I live in Dallas, I had to listen to it on the radio. Barry, Parker and Manu were on the floor in the second when Redick went off. A couple of those were off penetration and kickouts by Nelson and Arroyo. I'm glad you aren't blaming the whole game on Barry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Fuck, the Spurs gave up an 18 point lead. That isn't Spurs basketball. Someone have some pride damnit.

milkyway21
02-10-2007, 02:59 AM
the last time, TMac, this yr Howard will get his share of one of the league's memorable dunks on ESPN and again the opponent is the Spurs. :lol

& i expect this one will be included when they introduce Howard in the All-Star dunk contest.

may he wins the dunk contest though, i respect this guy.

LEONARD
02-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I live in Dallas, I had to listen to it on the radio. Barry, Parker and Manu were on the floor in the second when Redick went off. A couple of those were off penetration and kickouts by Nelson and Arroyo. I'm glad you aren't blaming the whole game on Barry.

Damn, you missed a good Mavs game... :lol

phxspurfan
02-10-2007, 03:25 PM
missed FTs (bowen, parker in the last minute alone) also destroyed us.

ducks
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
"The play was for Manu, but they defended it pretty well, so we were unable to get him the ball," Finley said. "Tony was the next option and he was to make a play for himself or a teammate, and Dwight made a great defensive play."
I HOPE ICE IS HAPPY IT WAS FOR MANU NOT TP TO BAD MANU COULD NOT GET OPEN

smeagol
02-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I HOPE ICE IS HAPPY IT WAS FOR MANU NOT TP TO BAD MANU COULD NOT GET OPEN

And you probably blame Manu.

Retard.

Brutalis
02-10-2007, 07:36 PM
An obvious explaination would be.. it was a high percentage shooting night for both squads.. less rebounds (35/28 SA) and players stepping up. Deron went off on Parker and ultimately Orlando wanted it more. Howard really is like a young DRob he really just needs to work on quickness and awareness that will more than likely come in due time.

San Antonio is going flat.. and fixing it with patches. We need a new tire or start spinning the ones we got. After this AS break everyone will be talking about playoff positioning and we should already be making a move but still, there is plenty time..

I think our whole system is basically just being overworked. Refresh!