PDA

View Full Version : What would have to happen for Pop to be fired?

davi78239
02-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Ever wonder about that one?

BradLohaus
02-10-2007, 01:37 AM
He's untouchable.

BIG IRISH
02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
He's untouchable.
unless someone buys the SPURS.
:bang :bang :bang

jeffdrums22
02-10-2007, 01:54 AM
I had a post on this, but I deleted it and I've given up on this board. To all the senseless anti-Spurs and Mavericks and Suns lovers on here:

See you at the championship parade in SA this June...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Duncan would not be happy.

That said, Pop is a good coach.

The bigger issue is the holes in our squad. Even Pop can't be blamed for that. He has to micromanage really hard.

I also think, though or at least wonder under someone just as qualified or better than Pop, would do things differently where we would have at least picked up some of the slack and avoided a few losses. And maybe have repeated last year. Avery Johnson outcoached Pop.

Pop's justification for these losses for his small-ball lineups are his lack of resources. But I don't know. I'm a little suspicious.

Meh. When you're losing, it's very easy to rationalize hypothetical situations and point fingers.

BradLohaus
02-10-2007, 02:14 AM
Pop is one of 5 coaches who have won 3 NBA titles.

John Kundla
Red Auerbach
Pat Riley
Phil Jackson
Greg Popovich

He's officially an institution. I hate small ball, but I won't hate on an institution.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-10-2007, 02:14 AM
I suppose one could fire himself.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-10-2007, 02:15 AM
pete and repeat go into a store. pete comes out. who's left?

Budkin
02-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Pop ain't going anywhere. He just needs to admit we need a trade.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-10-2007, 02:19 AM

Sometimes the best thing to do in a fragile situation is to provide stability. Maybe he just wants the team to have a sense of comfort. Just because he says we aren't looking for a trade doen't mean we aren't looking for one.

PM5K
02-10-2007, 02:25 AM
All I can say is that I don't think any coach has ever been fired while having a 33-17 record and I don't think Pop will be the first....

Man In Black
02-10-2007, 02:28 AM
For those that always ask the questions...Who will fire Pop?
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/cover_frontoffice_0607.pdf
Page 9 says the following:

GREGG POPOVICH
HEAD COACH/EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT
OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS

---returned to San Antonio on May 31, 1994, as the Spurs executive vice president of
basketball operations/general manager (served as GM for eight full seasons before turning the job over to R.C. Buford on July 1, 2002)

So for Pop to get fired, he has to fire himself.

Besides, as much as I hate to say it, it's the regular season and well it ain't March and if they don't lose another game this trip, they finish on the positive side of the ledger and I'm cool with that.

dbreiden83080
02-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Duncan and Pop are tied together to fire him the Spurs would have to clear it with Duncan and he would not give them the Ok on that unless Pop wanted out, which i can't see happening.

gospursgojas
02-10-2007, 03:01 AM
For those that always ask the questions...Who will fire Pop?
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/cover_frontoffice_0607.pdf
Page 9 says the following:

So for Pop to get fired, he has to fire himself.

Besides, as much as I hate to say it, it's the regular season and well it ain't March and if they don't lose another game this trip, they finish on the positive side of the ledger and I'm cool with that.

not necessarly

Holt's Cat
02-10-2007, 03:46 AM
This season Pop's presided over a defense that would make Bob Hill blush. Well, maybe not that bad, but it's been better.

The only way Pop gets fired is if he sodomizes the Coyote at center court before a game.

my2sons
02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
i can't imagine why so many people are jumping off this board, its getting more and more ridiculous. everyone wants a trade but they don't want to trade anyone significant to get something significant back. i think my favorite answers when asked who we should trade and what we should give up, is that what our gm is for. now the fire pop threads are starting to creep in. well the spurs have always played bad in stretches and have adjusted where necessary. i do believe this team has some holes, holes that a magetti does not fill but i'll just keep an open mind and see where this team goes. the only thing that will make me sick is if and yes it is a big if, this team does go far into the playoffs we'll hear all these posts on how we had faith all along, i knew they would come back, pop is the greatest thing since fill in the blank. again, the staff has had alot more experience than me, i don't have any miracle trades that looks at the big picture and the future in mind. so i'll leave it to the big wigs and see what happens before i end it all...

RC's Boss
02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
UH, WTF?!?!?! i REFUSE TO POST COMMENTS!

ArgSpursFan
02-10-2007, 11:02 AM
They fucked up this year by not bringing Scola,to upgrade the roster,they thought that with bonner and Elson was gonna be enough.
I hope the spurs FO learn their lesson and spend some money this offseason.

Sam
02-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Pop would have to want to leave or he would have to not make the playoffs for two years straight.

Gros Membres!
02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Agreed. I think what gets this conversation even started is his unwillingness to admit that changes need to be made. Pop always seems to think he can coach his way out of a situation. It's a little arrogant and narrow-minded, imho, and reminds me of Bill Belichick (Patriots - look where that got them )

Spurs have multiple holes to fill and must make moves to fill them in order to stay competitive for the next few years. If this were a trend chart we may have peaked two years ago and are now looking down. I think now is the time to buck the trend but I can't see it happening with this squad against some of the other youth and desire currently being displayed.

Pop will be the one to dictate, or at least communicate, what the team's needs are and the order in which those needs should be addressed. Unfortunately, based on his comments of a few weeks ago (basically "No trades") the blame seems to fall squarely on his shoulders as rotations, practices, rest, and even large leads can't help this Spurs team win. It will be an interesting run to the trade deadline and an even more interesting offseason. :lol :lol :lol :lol

T Park
02-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Pop will be the one to dictate, or at least communicate, what the team's needs are and the order in which those needs should be addressed

link to when Pop has ever discussed trades or potential trades to be made.

Thank you.

LEONARD
02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Threads like this are why I come to ST :lol :downspin: :spin

Big Shot Rob
02-10-2007, 12:55 PM
The last time people openly discussed whether Pop should be fired...

The year of our first championship.

Extra Stout
02-10-2007, 12:59 PM
The Spurs would have to grossly underachieve to get Pop fired, i.e. under .500.

zeleni
02-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Pop strangles his assistant.
Pop injures a player.
Pop kills TD's wife or get in to affair with one member of Desperate Housewifes
Pop says Ginobili will never play more than 5 minutes in the NBA.

These are the only 4 (5) reasons.

E20
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
The only way he'd get fired, if the Spurs had 3 seasons in a row of not making the PO's.

Fabbs
02-10-2007, 01:26 PM
1. Divine Intervention
2. Finley gets traded, Pop follows him?

exstatic
02-10-2007, 01:32 PM

You don't read here very much, do you? It's pretty much discussed after every game.

They fucked up this year by not bringing Scola,to upgrade the roster,they thought that with bonner and Elson was gonna be enough.
I hope the spurs FO learn their lesson and spend some money this offseason.
Scola fucked himself by signing a 10 year contract that requires more $$$ to get out of than an unproven player will be paid in the NBA.

K-State Spur
02-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I think Pop is well aware that this team could use a trade. He is also well aware (unlike far too many of the posters on this board) that most teams aren't willing to give up valuable players for our spare parts and underachievers.

We won't be a favorite or have home court past the first round this year. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. But anybody who thinks that this team has no shot to win the title is kidding themselves as well. Gone (at least for now) are the days where the Spurs just play their game and beat everybody. The team is going to have to play above themselves for a few weeks in order to win a championship this year. That isn't the most likely scenario, but it's far from outside the realm of possibility as well.

tlongII
02-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Pop hires timvp as an assistant coach.

T Park
02-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I think Pop is well aware that this team could use a trade. He is also well aware (unlike far too many of the posters on this board) that most teams aren't willing to give up valuable players for our spare parts and underachievers.

Finally, someone gets it.

Big Shot Rob
02-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh I see the game...

What could result in Pop being fired?

1. Amy Duncan winds up pregnant and the baby comes out looking like Pop--acne scars and all...

david75090
02-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Yep, firing Pop ought to instantly cure the Spurs of all those pesky losses. Then, after the next loss, the Spurs can fire that coach and on and on and so forth. Who cares if the Spurs have a slightly flawed roster, like every team in the NBA. Fire the coach. That fixes everything.

td4mvp21
02-10-2007, 05:54 PM
2. Finley gets traded, Pop follows him?

:lmao I actually laughed out loud.

ducks
02-10-2007, 06:37 PM
david robinson got a coach fired
duncan can get pop fired

rr2418
02-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I think Pop would have to have 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row for that to happen. That said, I think "being fired" becomes a possibility even more whenever Duncan retires, and they have a couple losing seasons.

WalterBenitez
02-10-2007, 07:05 PM

you said that because you are thinking ....
:dramaquee

T Park
02-10-2007, 09:03 PM
duncan can get pop fired

only difference is, pop and Tim Duncan are very very very close.

Father son close.

Dirk Nowitzki
02-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I had a post on this, but I deleted it and I've given up on this board. To all the senseless anti-Spurs and Mavericks and Suns lovers on here:

See you at the championship parade in SA this June...IF DIRK GETS INJURED OR IF WE ARE PLAYING NBA 2K7 ON XBOX 360! IF NEITHER ONE HAPPENS, LOOK FOR THE MAVS TO DESTROY US LIKE THE LAKERS DID IN 2001!...

Fixed

Gros Membres!
02-11-2007, 01:27 AM
link to when Pop has ever discussed trades or potential trades to be made.

Thank you.
I can't say I can link to that.

I only assume that such a "mastermind" like Pop would be in close conversation with RC and maybe even Holt about the team. Very rarely will you see a coach, ownership, or management say they are actively seeking a trade for X player (see A.I. this year). To answer your request, no link can be had concerning Pop. I can only look to the Malik trade of yesteryear as a baromemter for Pop in that he's not predictable.

What boggles my mind are the oversights in drafting and free agency over the past two years. I link our current problems to the Finley situation and our inability to rid ourselves of him due to attracting future free agents. Scola has also been a painful thorn in the side.

I can only hope the brain trust of the Spurs can make the appropriate moves to continue to stay competitive while Tim Duncan is still in his prime.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 01:41 AM
What boggles my mind are the oversights in drafting and free agency over the past two years. I link our current problems to the Finley situation and our inability to rid ourselves of him due to attracting future free agents. Scola has also been a painful thorn in the side.

Follow the $. It makes sense then.

Big Shot Rob
02-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Sounds like Watergate...

1. Follow the money

2. What did the President know and when did he know it.

The Truth #6
02-11-2007, 02:53 AM
We would have been better off keeping Glenn Robinson and paying him peanuts than what we got out of Finley. And if we didn't get Finley, I'm curious if we would have had to endure Van Exel as well. At the time of his signing, Van Exel seemed like bait to get Finley.

jeffdrums22
02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Will everyone please jump off the anti-spurs bandwagon. Coach Pop is not getting fired. He's had the highest winning percentage of all pro sports teams, not just the NBA, in the last 10 years, 3 championships to go with that.

So now after a 33-17!!! record he should be fired?!

I bet some of you only started watching basketball this year.

my2sons
02-11-2007, 09:48 AM
duncan can get pop fired

Guess you also just gave reason number 1, why pop won't get fired. Guess you just have to wait for the next superstar, to do that and pop will probably be retired by then...