PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden : Spurs notebook: Turkoglu's inbounds pass gets mixed reviews

Bruno
02-10-2007, 01:42 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021007.05C.BKNspurs.notebook.1fd2da9.html

Web Posted: 02/10/2007 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

ORLANDO, Fla. — While Gregg Popovich and Tony Parker both praised former Spurs guard Hedo Turkoglu for the inbounds pass he made to Dwight Howard for the winning basket, Michael Finley saw it differently.

"It was a bad pass," Finley said.

The pass appeared to be too high and Orlando coach Brian Hill said he also thought it was "a little to the outside."

"But being the athlete that Dwight is he was able to get it under control and dunk the ball," Finley said. "It was a special play on his part."

Parker said the Spurs talked "a little" about watching for the lob in the preceding timeout.

"I knew that was the only way they could score," Finley said. "A catch-and-shoot would be tough in that situation.

"Two things had to happen: You have to have an athlete who can catch the ball, which they had; and you had to have a perfect pass, which I thought was a bad pass. But they executed it and got a win."

Bonner planning swift return: Matt Bonner, who has missed the past 12 games after tearing his left medial collateral ligament, thinks he's close to returning — possibly even before the end of the team's current trip.

"I feel good," Bonner said. "But it's still up to Pop to decide when he thinks I'm ready."

Popovich said last week he didn't think Bonner would be back until after the All-Star break, but Bonner has since gone through two full-contact practices without any problem.

"The main thing was when I started going full speed it was more mental," Bonner said. "Just having the confidence to push off and explode off it like I normally would."

The Spurs' doctors also examined Bonner before the team left for its trip and said his knee was healing without complication. Bonner is wearing a brace on his leg and probably will have to continue to do so for a while after he returns.

After not playing for much of the season's first six weeks, Bonner had begun to help the Spurs with his rebounding and 3-point shooting before he injured his knee against Washington on Dec. 13.

Vaughn backing up Parker: Popovich used Jacque Vaughn to back up Parker for the second consecutive game.

Beno Udrih didn't play for only the second time this season. Vaughn had four points, one assist and two turnovers in 15 minutes.

With their own backup point-guard position in flux, the Spurs probably found it all the more frustrating to watch Jameer Nelson score 31 points. They tried unsuccessfully to trade up for him in the 2004 draft before taking Udrih.

Gervin in for Kerr: Parker will have a new teammate when he tries to help the Spurs defend their Shooting Stars title at All-Star weekend.

Steve Kerr has a back injury, so George Gervin will take his place in the event. Parker, Kerr and Silver Stars forward Kendra Wecker won last season's competition, which requires each team to make six shots from different locations in increasing difficulty.

"How about George Gervin stepping in for me?" Kerr said on Thursday night's TNT NBA broadcast."Shouldn't it be the other way around? I'm the sub and he's the star.

"I think this is the first time in this competition that someone had to sit out because of an injury."

Said Parker: "I'm going to have to tell Ice he better not mess up the chemistry."

Please_dont_ban_me
02-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Who cares. He made it. They won.

As for Steve Kerr. What did he do, pull a back muscle reaching for a doughnut?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-10-2007, 02:22 AM
What does Finley have to gain by nitpicking a pass that worked!? :dizzy

Please_dont_ban_me
02-10-2007, 02:26 AM
What does Finley have to gain by nitpicking a pass that worked!? :dizzy

That's the Spurs version of Ron Artest, nigga'.

gospursgojas
02-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Steve Kerr has a back injury, so George Gervin will take his place in the event

:tu :fro

ponky
02-10-2007, 04:45 AM
i think it's cool that gervin's in that haier competition...i wish houston would get a team together with sheryl swoopes, t-mac and kenny

WalterBenitez
02-10-2007, 05:11 AM
we lost peripd

angel_luv
02-10-2007, 09:17 AM
:lol @ Finley.

That was an amazing pass. I'm just sorry Hedo made it against the Spurs.

conversekid
02-10-2007, 09:41 AM
:lol @ Finley.

That was an amazing pass. I'm just sorry Hedo made it against the Spurs.

No doubt... you can't hate on that play... it was sweet. bad pass?... it was up/high... out of tim's reach... only one person could get it and he did.... sounds like sour grapes. if your a true bball fan, you gotta love that play... just sucks it was against us. Barry/Beno/Finley/RC for howard :)

boutons_
02-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Dwight single-handedly elected Tim to the Hall of Eternal Video Infamy, whose members come out of timeouts and fuck up by not defending the most likely, very probably only play by the only opposite player capable of executing what will win the game. :lol

angel_luv
02-10-2007, 09:50 AM
No doubt... you can't hate on that play... it was sweet. bad pass?... it was up/high... out of tim's reach... only one person could get it and he did.... sounds like sour grapes. if your a true bball fan, you gotta love that play... just sucks it was against us. Barry/Beno/Finley/RC for howard :)

I'm just glad Hedo and company still have to come visit us.
Payback time. :)

boutons_
02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
"Payback time"

... @ATT in 06/07 season? Keep your money in your pocket.

Magic (+ Ariza + Hill) could be the 3rd EC team to sweep these Spurs.

angel_luv
02-10-2007, 10:14 AM
"Payback time"

... @ATT in 06/07 season? Keep your money in your pocket.

Magic (+ Ariza + Hill) could be the 3rd EC team to sweep these Spurs.

No, that's not how it will be. No, no, no! :)

wildbill2u
02-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Tim allowed himself to get sucked outside near the free throw line and then wasn't fast enough when Howard blew past him to get back between Howard and the basket.

All he needed to do was keep himself between Howard and the basket, but I'm sure he feels worse about it than we do.

exstatic
02-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Dwight single-handedly elected Tim to the Hall of Eternal Video Infamy, whose members come out of timeouts and fuck up by not defending the most likely, very probably only play by the only opposite player capable of executing what will win the game. :lol
Um, Tim is never, and has never been able to jump in Howard's class. He has to hope that Elson doesn't brain fart and ALLOW the pass to the rim. He did.

ploto
02-10-2007, 10:44 AM
With their own backup point-guard position in flux, the Spurs probably found it all the more frustrating to watch Jameer Nelson score 31 points. They tried unsuccessfully to trade up for him in the 2004 draft before taking Udrih.

Glad to see Ludden stopped by here last night. :lol

ploto
02-10-2007, 10:48 AM
As for Finley, his comments make little sense. If you throw the ball where the only guy who can get it is Howard, then it's a good pass. It was high- but not too high for Howard.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/e5/fullj.getty-71797054fm010_spurs_magic_11_07_41_pm.jpg

boutons_
02-10-2007, 11:17 AM
"Tim is never, and has never been able to jump in Howard's class."

um, Tim didn't even bother to impede Dwight, glue on him, front him, fucking bother him in any way, allowing Dwight to make the jump in an undefended vacuum.

IIRC, Tim was not setup under the basket but out at the free throw line. That would be a mistake. The only defense Tim had to offer was to be under the basket ready to block close-in shots, like the one Dwight made. From under the basket Tim would have been better positioned to block an alley-oop, rather than from behind Dwight as the picture shows. Tim didn't have to get into a losing jumping contest with Dwight.

fonzy16
02-10-2007, 01:44 PM
losing with.8 left on an inbound-alley-up-pass-dunk is pathetic defense.

the .4 shot by fisher was a miracle, but this one was defendable.

pathetic defense by duncan. this one is on him. a hall of fameer like him has to know better than letting your man catch the ball under the basket in such situation.
:bang

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/e5/fullj.getty-71797054fm010_spurs_magic_11_07_41_pm.jpg[/QUOTE]

lcroock
02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Isn't it funny how all we are hearing from the Spurs is that it was basically a miracle that Howard caught the lob and put it down? Why don't Pop and Duncan fess up and say that they are the ones to blame? Duncan should not have been on Howard in the first place and his inability to stay in front of Dwight proved that. Pop's decision to take out Barry and put in Bowen for our offensive possession towards the end was also ingenious; Bruce's 2 bricks from the line solidified that.

The Spurs have shown no sign of being a championship caliber team this year and if we continue playing small ball with guys that cannot defend/rebound we'll be out in the 1st or 2nd round at best. How much does one have to be paid to realize this? I guess more than the 5 or 6 Million Popovich is being paid. It ain't brain surgery but they're getting paid more than brain surgeons.
Figure that.

Fabbs
02-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Exactly. Tim played horrible defense, about the only defense that could have allowed that play.

tlongII
02-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Duncan fell asleep on the play. He should have had his body on Howard. Mental error.

1Parker1
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I think Tim thought that the play was going to be for Jameer and that Howard was going to set a screen for him....

timvp
02-10-2007, 03:25 PM
It was a good enough pass by Hedo. But regarding Hedo, he looks in horrible condition compared to last year. Last year, he got his weight down and was moving very well.

This year, he's gained a lot of his weight back and is slooooow. How many times did Barry beat him up the court for a layup in the first quarter? It's no accident that his rebounds and shooting percentages are way down and his turnovers are up.

I'd love for the Spurs to have the 2005-06 version of Hedo. But this 2006-07 Hedo sucks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-10-2007, 03:55 PM
How can anyone question the pass? He threw the pass, Howard caught it and put in the game winner. I'd say he accomplished what he was trying to do, which makes it a good enough pass to get the job done.

As for the defense, if Duncan keeps himself between Howard and the basket, it never happens.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
This will be the 2007 Finals matchup :smokin

Duncan vs Howard....... the passing of the torch :lol

Bob Lanier
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Finley is the next Phil Jackson.