PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying meaningless Spurs losses....

jeffdrums22
02-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Is the key to consolation for Mavericks fans without no championship in their city.

E20
02-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I honestly think the Spurs will go all the way this year. I just have this feeling that they're gonna end up in the Finals and win another 'ship.

jeffdrums22
02-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I honestly think the Spurs will go all the way this year. I just have this feeling that they're gonna end up in the Finals and win another 'ship.

Same here. Too bad there's so many "We lost to the Magic, Bobcats, Timberwolves, and Warriors, so we're out in the first round" posters here.

mjnxn
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
how about we stop caring what mavs fans think? seriously, you guys act as if they've actually won something and their opinions are relevant. yes they have an excellent team now and are poised to make a good run in the playoffs, but it wasn't too long ago that they were the laughing stock of the league.

that being said, i hate the blind optimism here. there's holes in our team. if we don't fix them, no title.

E20
02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
how about we stop caring what mavs fans think? seriously, you guys act as if they've actually won something and their opinions are relevant. yes they have an excellent team now and are poised to make a good run in the playoffs, but it wasn't too long ago that they were the laughing stock of the league.

that being said, i hate the blind optimism here. there's holes in our team. if we don't fix them, no title.
Look at the '03 team.

Old Drob.
Rookie Manu
Crazy Stephen Jackson
Rooke Tony Parker
OLDER bench than we have now

Nobody thought they'd go all the way.

So you never know.

SAtown
02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I remember a Spurs - Rockets game I went to in the Dome circa '96, and we beat them. I kept talking smack to an older Rockets fan, and he told me that until we replace the Taco Cabana banners (at the ceiling of the Dome) with championship banners, I wasn't allowed to talk smack. We've won 3 since then, and I wonder if he remembers.

jeffdrums22
02-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Why don't you tell us all what players we lost from last season that left so many holes in our team? The only holes around here are in your head.

Dirk Nowitzki
02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Why don't you tell us all what players we lost from last season that left so many holes in our team? The only holes around here are in your head.

:blah :blah You are old. Dirk owns your "defense" and our guards get layup drills. We own the boards and we own you in the coaching area now. Oh yeah and we also beat you last season and improved our bench during the offseason.

TwoHandJam
02-10-2007, 09:36 PM
:blah :blah You are old. Dirk owns your "defense" and our guards get layup drills. We own the boards and we own you in the coaching area now. Oh yeah and we also beat you last season and improved our bench during the offseason.
Even with all our problems there's probably a 6 point differential in our last three meetings so it's not like the Mavs are blowing the Spurs out or anything. This is actually somewhat icomprehensible to me considering all the problems we have this year. The way the Mavs have been playing they should be dominating us but they're not.

Regardless, your bravado is surprising considering your loss last year was one of the worst collapses in the history of the NBA finals. After that kind of loss, no series should be considered a lock for the Mavericks.

baseline bum
02-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Regardless, your bravado is surprising considering your loss last year was one of the worst collapses in the history of the NBA finals. After that kind of loss, no series should be considered a lock for the Mavericks.

What do you mean "one of"? Up 2-0 with a 13 point lead with six minutes to go and, you never win another game is an uber-choke job.... and it came after what would have been almost as bad of a choke job in the WCSF. I mean, you're up 3-1, and you lose the series if not for one lucky foul?

I still don't know how the hell they ever lost to Miami. Not trying to start anything with the Heat fans, because I respect the hell out of Dwayne Wade, but they're the worst champions of my lifetime. I mean, Dallas let Antoine Walker beat them... the same Antoine Walker who two years earlier completely ruined their team when he was on it. Shaq had fucking 14ppg or something shitty like that in that series, but it was too much for them.

The only logical explanation for Miami beating Dallas in that series is that God is good.

mjnxn
02-10-2007, 10:41 PM

You make it sound as if last season was successful. Game 7 or not, we still LOST in the second round.

It's not that we didn't lose players from last season's squad, it's that we failed to make the necessary adjustments in the offseason to counteract last season's glaring weaknesses.

--No athletic small forward
--No complimentary bigman next to tim
--No back up PG

While our record last year was better, it's virtually the same Spurs team minus Rasho and Nazr plus a healthier tim.

The only problem now is that teams aside from the mavs and the suns are getting better and catching on to our style of play. A year ago, we wouldn't have struggled against teams like utah, LA, and houston. Now, we're lucky if we can squeek out wins against mediocre teams. If that doesn't spell "holes" for you, I don't know what does.

GrandeDavid
02-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Regardless of the Spurs' performance up to now, I can still see them winning the championship, but obviously lots of things have to go their way - health, bounces, free throws, whistles, desire and so on. Having said that, its been years since I've had this feeling about them, which is to say that I feel they are true longshots to win the championship. If they do get it done and take their fourth title, this one will have to rank as the sweetest to me.

bdictjames
02-10-2007, 11:10 PM
We should be happy we have this record even though we've lost 2 of our best big men in Nazr and Rasho.

It aint over yet. Spurs vs Mavs with all cylinders firing, game will go to us.

Holt's Cat
02-10-2007, 11:11 PM

Unfortunately a few have nothing better to do than camp out on here.

jeffdrums22
02-11-2007, 12:34 AM
You make it sound as if last season was successful. Game 7 or not, we still LOST in the second round.

It's not that we didn't lose players from last season's squad, it's that we failed to make the necessary adjustments in the offseason to counteract last season's glaring weaknesses.

--No athletic small forward
--No complimentary bigman next to tim
--No back up PG

While our record last year was better, it's virtually the same Spurs team minus Rasho and Nazr plus a healthier tim.

The only problem now is that teams aside from the mavs and the suns are getting better and catching on to our style of play. A year ago, we wouldn't have struggled against teams like utah, LA, and houston. Now, we're lucky if we can squeek out wins against mediocre teams. If that doesn't spell "holes" for you, I don't know what does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe last season was the most number of wins that the Spurs have ever had, that to me is successful. We played as good a 7-game series as any team ever has. Games 3 and 4 were an overtime loss and a 1-point loss game. We fought back diligently in Game 5, Game 6, AND Game 7 until Manu's mental blunder. Enough said. You can throw out the rest of the "old, unathletic, blah blah blah" talk.

TwoHandJam
02-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Having said that, its been years since I've had this feeling about them, which is to say that I feel they are true longshots to win the championship. If they do get it done and take their fourth title, this one will have to rank as the sweetest to me.

No doubt....... No doubt.

mjnxn
02-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe last season was the most number of wins that the Spurs have ever had, that to me is successful. We played as good a 7-game series as any team ever has. Games 3 and 4 were an overtime loss and a 1-point loss game. We fought back diligently in Game 5, Game 6, AND Game 7 until Manu's mental blunder. Enough said. You can throw out the rest of the "old, unathletic, blah blah blah" talk.

I could care less what happens in the regular season. With Manu, Tony, and Tim playing at this level, anything short of a title is a failure and a bad season.

That being said, I know you'll question why then am I putting so much stock into these current regular season losses. Allow me to elucidate. For one, they're all occuring in the same manner: the Spurs good sized lead going into the half, lose the lead in the 3rd, and spend the 4th quarter either fighting uphill or throwing away the game in the last few seconds.

Last season, we were able to win some of these close games. I don't see that anymore. In fact, can you even remember the last grind it out victory the spurs had? Don't count the LA win, because for 1) it took a lucky shot from finley to win and 2) the Lakers were missing 2 of their starters.

Halfway into the season, I still haven't seen the pattern I mentioned go away. Nor do I see improvement. The team has some holes that no x amount of games can fill up. Even if that was the case, what makes you think they can turn it on so quickly?

Cherry
02-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Is the key to consolation for Mavericks fans without no championship in their city.

qué me importa? :drunk

jeffdrums22
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I could care less what happens in the regular season. With Manu, Tony, and Tim playing at this level, anything short of a title is a failure and a bad season.

That being said, I know you'll question why then am I putting so much stock into these current regular season losses. Allow me to elucidate. For one, they're all occuring in the same manner: the Spurs good sized lead going into the half, lose the lead in the 3rd, and spend the 4th quarter either fighting uphill or throwing away the game in the last few seconds.

Last season, we were able to win some of these close games. I don't see that anymore. In fact, can you even remember the last grind it out victory the spurs had? Don't count the LA win, because for 1) it took a lucky shot from finley to win and 2) the Lakers were missing 2 of their starters.

Halfway into the season, I still haven't seen the pattern I mentioned go away. Nor do I see improvement. The team has some holes that no x amount of games can fill up. Even if that was the case, what makes you think they can turn it on so quickly?

You obviously DO care about the regular season. Therefore, last season was a success. And since you've implied that there is such a thing as lucky shots, let's go ahead and call Dirk's layup while being fouled by Ginobili as lucky.

All that matters is how we play against Dallas.

Phoenix, Houston, Utah, and LA are non factors. Just because Phoenix is still running and gunning and winning 60 games like they have been since getting Nash, doesn't mean a thing. It will lead to the same result as before. McGrady and Yao Ming are an underachieved duo. McGrady just doesn't have "it" and Yao Ming has never been a dominant player. So Mehmet Okur makes a few fluke winning baskets, big deal.

Kobe needs other excellent players around him. He doesn't have that right now.

While I acknowledge the Spurs are struggling and not the same as before, I refuse to believe that Utah, LA, Houston, or Phoenix could knock them off in the playoffs. None of those are contenders. Neither are the rest of the 26 or so junk NBA teams who are barely watchable.

Dallas is the only team that S.A. is thinking about right now.

jeffdrums22
02-11-2007, 01:30 AM
See? Meaningless crap that gets replayed over and over. What happened tonight? Lose to the New Jersey Nets? What happened to his dunk?

kobe_bryant
02-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Like this really needed to be posted...

and in the fucking spurs forum? I don't care if looks like I am policing, but get the fuck out of here

jeffdrums22
02-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Like this really needed to be posted...

and in the fucking spurs forum? I don't care if looks like I am policing, but get the fuck out of here

I'm just pointing out the crap that NBA commentators and sports channels do every week in and week out.

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:37 AM
You can post stuff like this in Game Blog thread or some other thread. Please don't start threads for every random thought that pops into your head.

jeffdrums22
02-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Fine, I'll delete my post.

Advice to every one: Don't post here unless it is an Anti-Spurs post!

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:42 AM

No, you can post pro-Spurs stuff all you want. But you just don't need to start a new thread for each thing.

timvp
02-11-2007, 01:43 AM

Advice to you: When four of the top six threads are started by you, it's time to hit reply instead of new thread.