PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs aim to rebound vs. Heat

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Spurs aim to rebound vs. Heat

Web Posted: 02/10/2007 11:28 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021107.01C.BKNspurs.heat.1c37eaa.html

MIAMI — By the time the Spurs touched down here early Saturday morning, Tim Duncan already had been sentenced to his .8 seconds of YouTube infamy: Dwight Howard's Game-winning Dunk!!!! HOWARD IS A BEAST!!!!
Cable TV also didn't offer much relief for Duncan or his teammates unless they somehow skipped past the 1,237 replays of Howard's demoralizing flush that aired on at least two of ESPN's channels.

So how did Spurs coach Gregg Popovich begin the morning-after recovery from the team's disheartening 18-point meltdown in Orlando? With more video.

While Popovich treated the Spurs to a 30-minute film session before their afternoon practice, he wasn't as concerned with the made-for-SportsCenter final play — which he simply called "unbelievable" — as he was with the 18-plus minutes that preceded it.

"When we score 104 points, we're supposed to win those games," Popovich said. "But when we let an opponent score 106, shoot 58 percent and score 58 points in one half, we should be embarrassed.

"That's too soft of a performance. It's just not competitive enough on the part of the group. ... We totally let down defensively."

The Spurs' toughness likely will be tested again this afternoon against Dwyane Wade, Shaquille O'Neal and the rest of the defending champion Miami Heat. The Spurs also may have to battle O'Neal, who returned from left knee surgery a little more than two weeks ago, without their own starting center.

Francisco Elson had swelling in his left knee Saturday and is questionable to play, Popovich said.

"I guess he banged it at some point in (Friday's) game — he doesn't really remember when — and it swelled up significantly last night," Popovich said. "He could hardly walk last night getting on the bus. This morning, he was walking better, but it's still swollen, just not quite as much."

If Elson can't play, Fabricio Oberto would probably start in his place. Jackie Butler, who has appeared in only five games, might get to spend a rare day in uniform.

Regardless, Popovich wants to see a better defensive effort than Friday's. Among the problems that showed up on film: The Spurs failed too often to run J.J. Redick off the 3-point line; they sometimes double-teamed Howard when they weren't supposed to and didn't double him as instructed on other occasions; and they allowed the Magic to take three offensive rebounds on the final possession of the third quarter, leading to a 3-pointer from Jameer Nelson that tied the game.

"Those kind of things are inexcusable, unacceptable and that's when a teammate lets his team down," Popovich said. "That's the part I'm actually angered about — that consistency of effort, consistency of physicality, consistency of focus is not there as far as the group is concerned.

"There's always a weak link someplace, and that's not good enough."

As a result, the Spurs have yet to prove whether they're capable of challenging for a berth in the NBA Finals. The Heat endured similar questions about their consistency — as well as the age of their supporting cast — last season before marching through the playoffs for their first title.

The Spurs, however, aren't quite ready to draw inspiration from today's opponent.

"We know it can happen because it happened last year," Manu Ginobili said. "But we know it's really hard to do it like that, and we don't want to get satisfied with thinking about that.

"We want to try to improve, get better and get to the playoffs in the best shape possible."

Miami has had an even tougher time this season with O'Neal missing nearly half the schedule and coach Pat Riley taking a leave of absence to tend to his own health issues. The Heat continue to cling to the Eastern Conference's eighth and final playoff seed after their season-high five-game winning streak ended Friday with a loss in Cleveland.

Popovich said he isn't overly concerned about the Spurs' seeding. But he does want to make sure the players don't think they can simply "turn it on" once the playoffs approach.

"As we all know, you can't do that," Popovich said last week before the team opened its trip in Washington. "That's a ridiculous notion.

"What's important is a group of men understanding that the real job is to get better as the season moves along and to be at your best at the end."

Notebook: Matt Bonner went through another full-contact practice Saturday. If his left knee responds well to the workout, he might get some minutes in Tuesday's game against New Jersey, Popovich said. "I'm shocked he's ready this quickly," the coach added. "I didn't think we'd get him back doing anything basketball-wise until after the All-Star break." ... Popovich said he plans to continue using Jacque Vaughn as the backup point guard instead of Beno Udrih. "I'm sticking with him," Popovich said, "and that's my story." ... Popovich did find some humor in Friday's loss, comparing it to the Spurs' .4 defeat against the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 5 of the 2004 conference semifinals. "We're just bad at point-anything," he said. "If there's a point-anything game, I guess (our) fans should just start to leave." :lol

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:12 AM
they allowed the Magic to take three offensive rebounds on the final possession of the third quarter, leading to a 3-pointer from Jameer Nelson that tied the game.

"Those kind of things are inexcusable, unacceptable and that's when a teammate lets his team down," Popovich said. "That's the part I'm actually angered about — that consistency of effort, consistency of physicality, consistency of focus is not there as far as the group is concerned.

"There's always a weak link someplace, and that's not good enough."

I'm sure someone got destroyed by Pop when they reviewed tape about that rebounding sequence.

timvp
02-11-2007, 01:14 AM
http://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gifPop pulls the Soft Cardhttp://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gif

The Spurs usually respond well to Pop's annual usage of the Soft Card.

I've been waiting for it.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Francisco Elson had swelling in his left knee Saturday and is questionable to play, Popovich said.

Oh Boy More Oberto!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-11-2007, 01:15 AM
We've been trying to improve rebounding all year, it's not magically going to change

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
We've been trying to improve rebounding all year, it's not magically going to change

The Spurs were up 20-10 on the boards in the first half yesterday and then got demolished in the second.

timvp
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Francisco Elson had swelling in his left knee

http://www.domesticmisfits.net/forums/images/smiles/gay.gif

What kinda lame azz injury is that? If players sat out everytime they had swelling in their knees, there'd be no NBA.

Elson is quickly becoming the modern day Paino Udrih.

mjnxn
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
You can fight for position all you want, but you can't rebound well without athleticism.

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:19 AM

What kinda lame azz injury is that? If players sat out everytime they had swelling in their knees, there'd be no NBA.

Elson is quickly becoming the modern day Paino Udrih.

Well if it's swollen to the point he can't walk that's one thing. But if he just has some minor swelling/tendinitis like everyone else, then he will probably play.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-11-2007, 01:20 AM
The Spurs were up 20-10 on the boards in the first half yesterday and then got demolished in the second.

I missed the game yesterday, but when it comes to playing teams like Utah and Dallas, we don't have the tools to compete with them when it comes to rebounding.

whottt
02-11-2007, 01:21 AM
http://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gifPop pulls the Soft Cardhttp://www.drudgereport.com/siren.gif

The Spurs usually respond well to Pop's annual usage of the Soft Card.

I've been waiting for it.

:smokin

Yeah but is it a good thing or a bad thing he waited this long to play it?

I think it's bad that it's taken him this long to play it. In our last title he played it like 2 weeks into the season or something.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 01:22 AM
How long must Jackie Butler sit? It's not like we've seen great consistent production from either Oberto or Elson. It's also not like this team has that much time left in its championship window.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-11-2007, 01:23 AM

I think it's bad that it's taken him this long to play it. In our last title he played it like 2 weeks into the season or something.

This Spurs team probably won't even respond, everytime you think they've turned a corner, they take 2 steps back. Maybe it's because we don't have that locker room voice (ala. AJ/Sjax/Kwill) to fire guys up

whottt
02-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Oh Boy More Oberto!

Oberto>Shaq

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Maybe it's because we don't have that locker room voice (ala. AJ/Sjax/Kwill) to fire guys up

SJax and KWill were never much of a lockerroom voice. But I get your point.

whottt
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
How long must Jackie Butler sit? It's not like we've seen great consistent production from either Oberto or Elson. It's also not like this team has that much time left in its championship window.

Agree, if Butler is going to be any kind of a factor, it'll be against a team like the Heat.

timvp
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM

Nah, I think it's usually around the All-Star break. In 2003, it was the first game after the All-Star game. In 2005, didn't he pull the soft card after Duncan went down injured?

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 01:29 AM

It's going to take more than that. This team simply does not have the horses. It's been sometime since we've seen a rotation this weak. The Spurs have virtually nothing up front with TD. This team is horrid on the boards. The defense is shit.

timvp
I'm sure someone got destroyed by Pop when they reviewed tape about that rebounding sequence.

I watched the replay right now and I'm not exactly sure who Pop is pissed at. If it's just for the rebounding, both Duncan and Finley missed chances at pulling it in. If it was the defense he's pissed at, I'm guessing Barry didn't earn any praise for playing eight feet off of Nelson :lol

Solid D

:spin

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 01:31 AM
This Spurs team probably won't even respond, everytime you think they've turned a corner, they take 2 steps back. Maybe it's because we don't have that locker room voice (ala. AJ/Sjax/Kwill) to fire guys up

Think about the difference then. You had DRob as your starting center. Backing up him and TD was Malik in his prime and Kevin Willis. You had a fearless young scoring wing willing to take big shots in Jack. You had a solid backup point.

You had a real supporting cast. That's what matters. Pop can yell at his team all he wants and call them things worse than 'soft' but at the end of the day, there are far too many holes.

timvp
02-11-2007, 01:32 AM
What could playing Butler in place of Oberto hurt? The only thing Oberto has going for him is sometimes he's a decent post defender. That's about it.

At least by playing Butler, you help develop him. At best, he blossoms and the Spurs have a real center.

kobe_bryant
02-11-2007, 01:33 AM
u better win

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-11-2007, 01:35 AM
What could playing Butler in place of Oberto hurt? The only thing Oberto has going for him is sometimes he's a decent post defender. That's about it.

At least by playing Butler, you help develop him. At best, he blossoms and the Spurs have a real center.

I've said it before, but it really seems Pop is walking on egg shells trying to not hurt feelings this year.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 01:39 AM
This team has really missed out by not at least trying to develop some younger talent over the last couple of years. They grew content. They gave away draft picks and of the ones they did keep, they used them on international players years away (if at all) from playing in the NBA. That the Spurs have nit this nadir is a little surprising. One might think that the front office let all of the adulation thrown their way for their past personnel successes go to their heads. Perhaps, but there's something much more obvious, and it's a fucking shame as a fan to have seen. Maybe things will change. Hopefully.

timvp
02-11-2007, 01:47 AM
This team has really missed out by not at least trying to develop some younger talent over the last couple of years. They grew content. They gave away draft picks and of the ones they did keep, they used them on international players years away (if at all) from playing in the NBA. That the Spurs have nit this nadir is a little surprising. One might think that the front office let all of the adulation thrown their way for their past personnel successes go to their heads. Perhaps, but there's something much more obvious, and it's a fucking shame as a fan to have seen. Maybe things will change. Hopefully.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that the Spurs only have one person under the age of 29 in their regular rotation. How does that happen?

The Spurs have played two younger players over the last three years: Devin Brown and Beno Udrih. One is flourishing as a starter in the NBA. The other was extended for another year at three times the cost.

:shootme

Texas_Ranger
02-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Oberto means no rebounds.

Solid D
02-11-2007, 01:53 AM

I'd like to see what Butler can do. The last time he played, he looked like one of these

http://z.about.com/d/scifi/1/0/W/7/1/swempire12b.jpg

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 01:56 AM
I'd like to see what Butler can do. The last time he played, he looked like one of these

The last time he played, he looked like he was going through the (slow) motions of getting to the right spot as if he was walking through a drill. I'd like to see if he can get all that out of his head (well not completely :lol) and just play basketball. I know he's in much better shape than when he arrived and I liked what I saw of him last season - so I really want to see what he can do.

timvp
02-11-2007, 02:13 AM
The Spurs Three Headed Monster at Center

http://myspace-926.vo.llnwd.net/00585/62/98/585498926_m.jpg
http://alumni.imsa.edu/~kraut/pix/wuss.jpg

MannyIsGod
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Well, I hope Butler sees action tomorrow and it appears pretty likely that he will at least see some meaningful minutes. Oberto will probably be in foul trouble after about 3 minues and unless Pop wants to play Tim extended minutes on Shaq you're only other option at that point is Butler.

MannyIsGod
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
The Spurs Three Headed Monster at Center

http://myspace-926.vo.llnwd.net/00585/62/98/585498926_m.jpg
http://alumni.imsa.edu/%7Ekraut/pix/wuss.jpg
:(

clambake
02-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Spurs are playing possum. They will attack after exhumation. Go ahead and bury them now. Beware NBA.

ponky
02-11-2007, 02:23 AM
dang this spurs/heat game, i won't know who to root for tomorrow although i guess maybe the spurs...tomorrow btw, is a god-sent day for NBA ball

12:00 - spurs/heat
2:30 - lakers/cavs
5:00 - mavs/sixers
7:00 bulls/suns

The Truth #6
02-11-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm sure Pop will find a way to play Finley as our center. Pop will find a way to not play Butler. The silence towards Butler shows how much Pop hates him.

Tom_Foolery
02-11-2007, 04:18 AM
Oh Boy More Oberto!

I knew you'd be happy.

Tom_Foolery
02-11-2007, 04:20 AM
My guess is that the Spurs will get beat by the Miami Heat. They just got blown out by Cleveland, so the Heat are looking to bounce back. They are the defending NBA Champs and that's something to take into consideration.

I also believe the Spurs will make a trade before the deadline.

aaronstampler
02-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Pop went to smallball for the last 15 minutes last night, so perhaps that's why the rebounding was so poor, just a guess.

It's not just about the rebounds Elson and Oberto get while they're in there. They're big enough to occupy other people so Tim can grab rebounds, so that's still a contribution. With smallball, it's easy to box Duncan out and nobody else is rebounding.

Spurs Brazil
02-11-2007, 07:57 AM
I hope Butler can play today and shows he deserves to be in the rotation

ducks
02-11-2007, 10:14 AM
at least the new backup point guard is a vocal leader

Sam
02-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, I hope Butler sees action tomorrow and it appears pretty likely that he will at least see some meaningful minutes. Oberto will probably be in foul trouble after about 3 minues and unless Pop wants to play Tim extended minutes on Shaq you're only other option at that point is Butler.
Unless he lets Bonner play

ducks
02-11-2007, 10:19 AM
feeling buttler will see minutes
because pop will want to see what he does against shaq
butler is for playing against shaq

ducks
02-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Unless he lets Bonner play
he should play to but pop is saying after allstar break now

Sam
02-11-2007, 10:23 AM
he should play to but pop is saying after allstar break now
Hmm...this article above says New Jersey. Did you read it? Bonner said yesterday on his radio show that Pop was talking today.

ducks
02-11-2007, 10:26 AM
oh maybe due to the injury
he was hoping to play sooner then that

Sam
02-11-2007, 10:27 AM
oh maybe due to the injury
he was hoping to play sooner then that
Bonner's actually been ready to play the last two games. Pop has said he wanted to err on the side of caution. I look for him to maybe dress today and play against NJ. I hope he plays today. We need the body/fouls against Shaq.

1Parker1
02-11-2007, 10:31 AM
The last time he played, he looked like he was going through the (slow) motions of getting to the right spot as if he was walking through a drill. I'd like to see if he can get all that out of his head (well not completely :lol) and just play basketball. I know he's in much better shape than when he arrived and I liked what I saw of him last season - so I really want to see what he can do.

Yea, but you have to admit Kori, part of that reasoning I think falls on Pop and the coaching staff. Here's this guy who was flourishing under Pop's mentor Larry Brown, he gets excited being traded to a championship contender from the horrible situation he was in in NY. Then he promptly gets his ass sit on the bench all season, and Pop expects him to produce when he's given scrub minutes all of a sudden?

Pop should have been giving him consistent minutes all season long. Yea he was out of shape and didn't know the system, but sometimes with young players, that's how they learn best and that's how they get motivated to do better: SEE TONY PARKER. You don't sit a potential player who can help you by the end of the season down at the end of the bench all season long and expect him to produce NEXT SEASON. Why not this season? What do you have to lose exactly? Especially when your current Centers that you are using suck! Butler is probably going to suck if he gets put in today...he's rusty, hasn't played in a real nba game since god knows when....:pctoss

1Parker1
02-11-2007, 10:33 AM
dang this spurs/heat game, i won't know who to root for tomorrow although i guess maybe the spurs...tomorrow btw, is a god-sent day for NBA ball

12:00 - spurs/heat
2:30 - lakers/cavs
5:00 - mavs/sixers
7:00 bulls/suns

How's the Mavs/Sixers game exciting for NBA Ball? :wtf

Sixers suck, Mavs will blow my poor team out in the first quarter.

ploto
02-11-2007, 12:06 PM
On the other hand, maybe Butler really sucks in practice. Remember last year when people clamored for Oberto saying that Nazr and Rasho sucked and that they should at least give Oberto a chance because he couldn't be any worse. :lol Well, how much so much Butler suck if he is showing less than the current crop of centers who are getting playing time.

Just a thought.

SequSpur
02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
most of you have good points re: pop.. why don't you call into the pop show?

also, I don't find pop amusing at all. he and his complacent philosophy fucking blow.

dbestpro
02-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Pop needs to use Butler and White as leverage. The players know that their playing time is secured whether they play hard or not. Giving time to those two even they stink it up will show that those that play hard will play. Yeah, I know Butler has been getting tagged for bad practice but how can a player practice for a whole year and not get bored? Play him. See what happens. I absolutely cannot be any worse than the results or effort we are currently getting.

Everyone wants to know whay Spurs fans are upset? It's because we know its the effort that wins championships. The Spurs are capable, but it's the lack of effort that drives us nuts.

Quasar
02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
HAAAAAAAAAhahahahahHAAAAAAAAA!!!

aim to rebound vs Heat?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahhaa!!

When you aim for something, you've gotta go and do it!