PDA

View Full Version : A Sportswriter's endorsement for SJAX

SenorSpur
02-11-2007, 10:31 AM
This is an article I saw this on Hoopsworld.com. Former local scribe discusses what ails the Spurs, whether or not it's time to panic, and endorses a trade for SJax. I'll say this, it's somewhat ironic that, despite the Spurs having won the championship in 2005, the team has not been able to replace the skill set Jax had.

Make up your own mind.

Spurs: Time to Hit the Panic Button?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Gregory Moore
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Feb 3, 2007, 12:24

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs have done the unthinkable on the now-famous (no longer infamous and dreadful) Rodeo road trip that has this team playing eight games away from the not-so- friendly confines of the AT&T Center. After a magnificent win against the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, the Spurs have now dropped back-to-back games against the Utah Jazz (97-93) and the Phoenix Suns (103-87). The question remains: Is it time to hit the panic button and look for a trade?

In years past, this long stay away from home has always done Gregg Popovich’s teams well. It was home cooking away from home and three titles were the result of such roadwork. But that was years ago and no longer are the Spurs playing in a conference where they are the kings of the mountain. Dallas, Denver, the Suns, Jazz, the Lakers and even the Houston Rockets are all talented teams that can give this team a handful. Just look at the loss on Thursday night. The Spurs were in the game against the Suns for 95% of the contest but the moment they went flat and the Suns kept this team from getting second chance points, they were out of the contest in a hurry.

"It's hard to keep up with them,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said after the Suns’ loss. “But I don't believe we lost because of being tired. They made key shots. We didn't."

Manu may be right in that sense and Gregg Popovich may agree, but the bottom line is that the one aspect of this team’s weakness has now risen to the surface and is as plain as the jersey number on a jersey: this team’s offense is very anemic.

Things don’t seem to be getting any better whether you put Michael Finley in the starting rotation or whether it’s Brent Barry or Ginobili. The biggest problem for this team is their point production, and it's time to hit the panic button and make a trade.

So if the button is pushed, whom should the Spurs go after? I’ve floated this idea around but the more I think about, the better I like it. The Spurs need to trade for Stephen Jackson. As crazy as this sounds, there’s one thing that SJax used to bring for this team and that was instant offense. With Barry being sort of up and down, what is wrong with R.C. Buford pulling the trigger on a deal like this? If R.C. and the front office are worried about past incidents, hurt feelings and the like from when he left the team, now is the time to get him even more. What’s the worse thing that could happen during the rest of the season? Not much considering that this may be Jackson’s shot at staying in the league.

More importantly, though, the positives for such a trade include what happens AFTER the season. Jackson has a legal case pending that is scheduled for the end of the season. Should he be found guilty, he can be released from his contract based upon the CBA’s morality clause provision (the infamous paragraph sixteen). Jackson has four years left on his $38 million contract and this season he is making about $6.1 million. Let’s see, Barry’s number is $5.1 million and Beno Udrih’s is $968,000. Folks, that is about equal to what Jackson makes and it's the re-incarnation of the dreaded trade rumor of just a few weeks ago, just with Jackson being the center of attention.

Jackson’s offense is definitely worth this trade consideration. He is averaging above 13 ppg and in his six games has contributed to the Golden State Warriors. Yet as stated, if there’s one thing that will keep the Spurs from even considering this move it is Jackson’s legal problems.

That’s too bad for both parties because a change in venue may be what is needed for both Jackson and the Spurs. With Jackson, you now get a guard who knows Pop’s regiment and who will be able to just play basketball. The Spurs will probably get a player who is more focused on doing his job now than he ever has been.

In the meantime, the panic button is lit and an itchy index finger hovers above it. Should this road trip prove to be less than stellar according to Spurs’ standards, don’t be surprised if those trade rumors floating turn out to be negotiation ploys to get them the offense they need to make a playoff push after the All-Star break.

boutons_
02-11-2007, 11:18 AM
"instant offense."

??? SJax shoots 3G @ 34% career, the Spurs shoot 38%

SJas shoots FG @ 42%, the Spurs shoot 46%.

He doesn't RB, AST and makes TOs at a good rate.

And he'd insist on starting.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
This team needs Jack, a real center, a backup big, and a backup point.

The Truth #6
02-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Why wouldn't he start if we got him? He's still better than Bowen at this point. In fact he was better than Bowen in the 03 playoffs. Everyone talks about Parker disappearing in that playoff run, but if you look at the DVD you'll see that in about every 4th quarter Jack is on the floor and Bowen is on the bench. What we have now in Finley is a poor version of Jack without any consistent positives yet with all the same negatives Jack brings. I'd love to get rid of Finley before Barry but that's not going to happen, unfortunately.

Beno and Barry's confidence has been ruined for a variety of reasons. To put them in the media for trade discussions and then not trade them was self-defeating. At this point I'd love to trade them for Jack. Barry would be near family (his dad) and friends (Chris Mullins).

Jack can at least make big shots in the 4th quarter, and the 4th quarter is almost always where the Spurs fall apart. Of course it will never happen because Pop always moves forward, even if its downhill.

exstatic
02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Jack would be great if you could put him in a box, or something, between games. He's a fucking train wreck. I was a proponent of bringing him back until the shooting the gun thing at the club this year. He's probably going to jail, since it's a felony and a violation of probation for his other stupidity: The Malice at the Palace.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
jack makes love to pressure

finley makes love to 18mill bucks cuban is payin him to sit on our lame bench

time to struck a fuckn deal

The Truth #6
02-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Pop should love the fact that Jack is in legal trouble. If he's found guilty the team can cut him and not pay him.

The team needs some energy to shake things up. He's not perfect but he seems to show up for big games.

exstatic
02-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Pop should love the fact that Jack is in legal trouble. If he's found guilty the team can cut him and not pay him.
He'll be playing for Jackson Prison, no relation.

kevm2
02-11-2007, 03:24 PM
We definitely could use Jackson. I'm sick of this so called "smart ball," i.e. guys too scared to stand out, so they don't attempt to make moves to get things done on offense and pass up open shots.

adidas11
02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Could the Spurs even trade for Jax? Isn't there some clause where a player can't be traded twice within 60 days (or was it 90 days)? He was just recently traded to Golden State from Indiana.

Slinkyman
02-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Could the Spurs even trade for Jax? Isn't there some clause where a player can't be traded twice within 60 days (or was it 90 days)? He was just recently traded to Golden State from Indiana.

jax can be traded by himself, but not with another player from the warriors.

Jobbs
02-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I say do it.