PDA

View Full Version : Why are the spoiled brats so unhappy?

01Snake
02-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Comment: Why are the spoiled brats so unhappy?

Web Posted: 02/10/2007 12:00 PM CST

Charles Slaughter
Special to the Express-News

A recent Newsweek poll alleges 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence, two-thirds of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

What are we so unhappy about?

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, seven days a week? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the past year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all involved? Whether you are rich or poor, they treat your wounds and, if necessary, send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. This should make you very unhappy ... only 70 percent? Horrible.

Or while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents, your child is one of 90 percent of teenagers who own cell phones or a computer. Pathetic!

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. yet has a great disdain for its citizens. Here we are, the most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have and what we hate about the country instead of what we do have.

What about our lousy president with his 31 percent approval rating who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9-11? The president who cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession?

Could this be the same guy who has succeeded in keeping all the spoiled brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve and, in many cases, have died for your freedom. There is no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are there in harm's way and need support, not criticism.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads, and they specialize in bad news. The media strongly dislike our president and, unfortunately, make no bones about it.

Stop buying the negative venom you are fed every day by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

I suggest we sit back and count our blessings. If we don't, what we have will be taken away. Then we will have to explain to future generations why we squandered such blessings and abundance. If we are not careful, this generation will be known as the "greediest and most ungrateful generation."

A far cry from the proud Americans of the greatest generation, who left us an untarnished legacy.

Spurminator
02-11-2007, 12:48 PM
And we have the current President to thank for all of this how?

Melmart1
02-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I wonder what the parents of the soldiers who died in Iraq would say to the author of this piece.

Bob Lanier
02-11-2007, 02:10 PM
What a fucking whiner.

Extra Stout
02-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Charles Slaughter is right. Without the leadership of George W. Bush, we would have no electricity, no water, no jobs, we would be hungry all the time, would have to show papers to drive on the Interstate highways George W. Bush built, we would have no emergency services, nobody would own homes, there would be no TV's because Bush invented them, civil strife would be rampant, and the churches would close. George W. Bush is personally responsible for all of that. Oh, and Al Gore was wrong about inventing the Internet. Bush did. Bush also brought us cell phones and computers.

In the year 2000, we were living in huts and caves under authoritarian tyranny. Americans were starving, wanderng the barren landscape without hope. In six short years, George W. Bush has transformed America from a third-world backwater into the world's greatest military and economic power. And this is how we repay him?

01Snake
02-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Didn't see this at the bottom...

Charles Slaughter of San Antonio has an inmate phone provider business and several retail cell phone stores.

Extra Stout
02-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Charles Slaughter of San Antonio has an inmate phone provider business, several retail cell phone stores, and a penchant for non-sequitur foaming-at-the-mouth rants.
Fixed it.

01Snake
02-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Fixed it.
'
What the fuck is an inmate phone provider service??

Extra Stout
02-11-2007, 03:04 PM
'
What the fuck is an inmate phone provider service??
I guess he provides phone service to inmates.

clambake
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Remember the dark day's when inmates had no phone service?

ChumpDumper
02-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I hear he charges five cigarettes per minute.

01Snake
02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
<off topic: God the Spurs are pissing me off!! Thanks. I feel better now!>

Extra Stout
02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Remember the dark day's when inmates had no phone service?
Thank God for George W. Bush.

smeagol
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
There is a point in his article. Why do Americans whine about the economy so much?

2% of the population enjoying 25% of the World's GDP.

Yep, lots to cry about.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
These "direction" polls are so stupidly vague I have to wonder why anybody bothers making them.

Nbadan
02-12-2007, 02:47 AM
A perfect example of how out-of-touch some Republicans are to reality, but things are cheery for Charles Slaughter, so worry not about the war in Iraq and possibly Iran, fret not over the negative annual savings rate, at a time when we should be saving like crazy, and for gosh sake, thank God that your an American and not an Iraqi right now.

DarkReign
02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
That piece was hilarious.

Hail Bush!

Booo, dissent!

Spurminator
02-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Thank you, Mr. President, for allowing us to keep electricity and running water. We know you could, in your power and glory, strip us of these privileges if you so chose; but in your benevolence you allow us to keep these things, and for this we are forever grateful.

Four more years!

Oh, Gee!!
02-12-2007, 01:39 PM
I guess he provides phone service to inmates.

traitor!

gtownspur
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Charles Slaughter is right. Without the leadership of George W. Bush, we would have no electricity, no water, no jobs, we would be hungry all the time, would have to show papers to drive on the Interstate highways George W. Bush built, we would have no emergency services, nobody would own homes, there would be no TV's because Bush invented them, civil strife would be rampant, and the churches would close. George W. Bush is personally responsible for all of that. Oh, and Al Gore was wrong about inventing the Internet. Bush did. Bush also brought us cell phones and computers.

In the year 2000, we were living in huts and caves under authoritarian tyranny. Americans were starving, wanderng the barren landscape without hope. In six short years, George W. Bush has transformed America from a third-world backwater into the world's greatest military and economic power. And this is how we repay him?

Ok, outside of your colbert stint. You do realize that everytime you talk politics there is a lot of doom and gloom tone in everyones inflections and words. We do have it good, he's right.

But we always hear negativity in the news cycle and some, like for instance; the exaggerated claims of global warming effects, tidal waves, hurricanes, loss of animal life, Impending rumors of war with Iran, nuclear holocaust, guantanamo, gap between rich and poor widening, fall of the housing boom leading to the comming Great deppression.

Those topics which always popup seem to dominate conversation in america, where we are living in the most storied and glorius economic and prosperous times of our lives.

We are seeing new markets open up around the world for the betterment of america.

Literacy is improving among minority groups, we are purchasing luxury items left and right.

2000 years into the future archeologist are going to find the remains of an Ipod, notebook, and camera-phone, and they are going to associate these devices with our time.

If one were to speak with people like you or any other pessimist, we'd come to the conclusion that centuries down the line the 21st century in America will be regarded as a hunter gather civilization, nomadic in nature fleeing mastodons and sabertooths.

Extra Stout
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok, outside of your colbert stint. You do realize that everytime you talk politics there is a lot of doom and gloom tone in everyones inflections and words. We do have it good, he's right.

But we always hear negativity in the news cycle and some, like for instance; the exaggerated claims of global warming effects, tidal waves, hurricanes, loss of animal life, Impending rumors of war with Iran, nuclear holocaust, guantanamo, gap between rich and poor widening, fall of the housing boom leading to the comming Great deppression.

Those topics which always popup seem to dominate conversation in america, where we are living in the most storied and glorius economic and prosperous times of our lives.

We are seeing new markets open up around the world for the betterment of america.

Literacy is improving among minority groups, we are purchasing luxury items left and right.

2000 years into the future archeologist are going to find the remains of an Ipod, notebook, and camera-phone, and they are going to associate these devices with our time.

If one were to speak with people like you or any other pessimist, we'd come to the conclusion that centuries down the line the 21st century in America will be regarded as a hunter gather civilization, nomadic in nature fleeing mastodons and sabertooths.
I can't argue with much of what you wrote, though I think the latter part of the 21st century is going to see a pullback from these most prosperous times.

There are always problems, though, and anybody who pays attention to public policy matters is going to see them and worry about them. Off-topic a bit, Toyota has developed a corporate culture that obsesses about finding problems and worrying about them. They sound like they are about to go bankrupt. However, their results beg to differ, because once the y identify problems, they can develop solutions.

But aside from all that, Slaughter's diatribe was just silly. Just because the nation is affluent does not mean people will always be satisfied with their government. Our form of government is integral to our freedom and prosperity, but an individual Administration of government can be satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

What Slaughter wrote is the right-wing equivalent of some moonbat venting about the "wife-beating fundie sheeple keep voting Repug."

spurster
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Charles Slaughter of San Antonio has an inmate phone provider business, several retail cell phone stores, and an uncontrollable urge to plagiarize.

Fixed again.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/letters/stories/MYSA021307.01O.Letters.b81a34.html

Editor's note

Several readers alerted editors to the fact that a commentary published in the Views section on Sunday under the headline "Why are the spoiled brats so unhappy?" is notably similar to an online column written by Craig R. Smith of World Net Daily.

Smith's column was posted Nov. 20. The commentary was submitted Jan. 22 under the name Charles Slaughter.

One paragraph in Smith's column about spoiled Americans stated, "Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?"

The commentary stated, "Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?"

Other language is equally similar.

The commentary published Sunday does not meet the Express-News standards for attribution. We regret the incident.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Fixed again.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/letters/stories/MYSA021307.01O.Letters.b81a34.html

Editor's note

Several readers alerted editors to the fact that a commentary published in the Views section on Sunday under the headline "Why are the spoiled brats so unhappy?" is notably similar to an online column written by Craig R. Smith of World Net Daily.

Smith's column was posted Nov. 20. The commentary was submitted Jan. 22 under the name Charles Slaughter.

One paragraph in Smith's column about spoiled Americans stated, "Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?"

The commentary stated, "Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?"

Other language is equally similar.

The commentary published Sunday does not meet the Express-News standards for attribution. We regret the incident.
:owned

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 01:13 AM
:owned
It wasn't me.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Sure Charles, I believe you. I never suspected it was you until you come out with a clearly unprovoked denial?

WTF?

ThomasGranger
02-14-2007, 01:20 AM
It wasn't me, either

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey, inmates need phones too.

?

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Sure Charles, I believe you. I never suspected it was you until you come out with a clearly unprovoked denial?

WTF?
Blew right by you, didn't it?

Nbadan
02-14-2007, 01:28 AM
This so smells like Yoni's work.

:lmao

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Of course I got it, Charles.

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 01:35 AM
This so smells like Yoni's work.

:lmao
Doesn't it though.

Extra Stout
02-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Blew right by you, didn't it?
So, how exactly do you provide phone service to inmates?

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 09:37 AM
So, how exactly do you provide phone service to inmates?
What does that mean?

01Snake
02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
What does that mean?

:lol

Extra Stout
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
What does that mean?
That's kind of what we were wondering, and hoped you could shed some light.

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
That's kind of what we were wondering, and hoped you could shed some light.
Oh, I quit reading when I realized the point was that this guy had stolen someone's material and used it as his own on a comment board or letter to the editor.

I have not idea what the underlying topic was even about.

Extra Stout
02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Oh, I quit reading when I realized the point was that this guy had stolen someone's material and used it as his own on a comment board or letter to the editor.

His underlying topic was that Americans are a bunch of spoiled brat ingrates for disliking the policies of President Bush, because we have running water and Interstate Highways.

And apparently he is a businessman who provides phone service to inmates, and we weren't sure what that really meant.

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
His underlying topic was that Americans are a bunch of spoiled brat ingrates for disliking the policies of President Bush, because we have running water and Interstate Highways.

And apparently he is a businessman who provides phone service to inmates, and we weren't sure what that really meant.
Ah, I see. Neither do I.

Oh, Gee!!
02-14-2007, 02:48 PM

you must have read from last post to first

Yonivore
02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
you must have read from last post to first
I guess so.

Ozzman
02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
This country is great. So is the government system. BUT the people are too stupid, the politicians are too money and power hungry, and the entire nation's people is foobarred.

johnsmith
02-15-2007, 06:22 PM
This country is great. So is the government system. BUT the people are too stupid, the politicians are too money and power hungry, and the entire nation's people is foobarred.

Am I the only one that thinks that Ozzman just mis-spelled an acronym?

Or is that the new way to spell "fubar"?

ALVAREZ6
02-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Americans are blind.

Being spoiled only brings higher expectations for those people. This is true of any situation... a spoiled kid will actually be unhappy for a large a mount of time, especially if the present is slightly not as luxurious as the past.

BradLohaus
02-15-2007, 09:56 PM
BUT the people are too stupid, the politicians are too money and power hungry, and the entire nation's people is foobarred.

I'd say that's true of every country that ever existed, not just this one.

CubanMustGo
02-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Phone service to inmates: allows crooks in jail to call ppl long-distance, collect at heinous rates, which makes the service provider a shitload of money which they split with whatever agency runs the jail.

We used to get all these asinine calls from some cretin in some prison. You got a recorded message saying "You have a call from a prisoner" followed by the clown's name and "press 1 to accept or 2 to deny." Nowhere did the assholes tell you WHAT jail it was or who you could call to stop the calls or what the charges would be if you made the mistake of accepting.

Hope this helps.

sabar
02-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Some prisons offer stuff like 24 hour phone service to families or phone service during business hours to anyone or whatever.
I guess someone has to provide the service.

Anyways...
I think Yoni sent it in.