PDA

View Full Version : Article - Kidd to LA?

2Cleva
02-11-2007, 03:26 PM
SWAMP EXODUS

By PETER VECSEY

February 11, 2007 -- IF IT'S not already a living lock, the time has come, the walrus says, for the 24-27 Nets to make a command decision - today, not tomorrow, not next week and definitely long before the Feb. 22 trade deadline when any leverage they may own now will be lessened or lost - to deal Jason Kidd and Vince Carter.

Should the franchise's two paramount players survive that cut-off date New Jersey consequentially is at the (no) mercy of Kidd's age (34) and Carter's contract opt-out option (this summer), as well as the recuperative powers of Richard Jefferson and Nenad Krstic.

Even if all four of those stars were to fall into perfect alignment next season, assuming an at-ease position would only prolong the inevitable, short term, at best. It's the fourth quarter. The wishing-and-praying-things-would-work-out-phase clearly has expired.

Two straight summers Rod Thorn and Ed Stefanski, duty-bound to avoid the luxury tax, attempted to surround Kidd, Carter and Jefferson with halfway competent understudies in hope of keeping the playoff ball/title dream alive.

Last season's good try was blunted by Cliff Robinson's untimely five-game suspension. This season is going nowhere worthwhile, either, regardless of how many games Carter can win at the end by his lonesome, or how much luck the Nets may latch onto for all the above reasons.

Time and the control of assets are dissolving on the double. Failure to dramatically renovate the roster, by getting something for Kidd and Carter while the getting is good, will trigger long-term damage.

Radical surgery, not masking tape and Band-Aids, is what's needed. Thinking creatively and constructively is what's required. Unlocking and reloading is what the situation demands.

A couple weeks ago, I revealed the Lakers had offered a couple first-round draft picks and several expiring contracts for Kidd. Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, etc., and Jordan Farmar were mentioned.

Kwame ($8.2M/9M) Brown, out forever, and apparently four more weeks due to a mangled ankle, would almost have to be included in order to conform to with NBA trade conditions. That is, unless Shammond Williams, Smush Parker, Maurice Evans and Luke Walton were included in the mix, along with the league maximum $3M in cash to pay off McKie and Williams at least. I would also expect any deal involving Brown to include Jason Collins being re-routed to L.A.

At any rate, the L.A. media essentially confirmed the disclosure. Since then GM Mitch Kupchak and Phil Jackson have downplayed prospects any time soon of importing an established point guard or a big man to supplement an undersized 30-21 team that's dropped six of its last 10.

I tend to link deception, not discretion, with Jackson. In this case, it's a batch of both. According to the source that provided the original, juicy news, the Kidd conversation only briefly was deactivated. The way I hear it, Nets management is seriously considering accepting the offer. (Do it, then!)

The bidding isn't limited to L.A. I have it on excellent authority the Cavaliers - desperate to relieve LeBron James of his playmaking-for-others-and-himself obligation, and transform him into an open court, post-up receiver - called the Nets to voice their fondness for Kidd.

"I don't look for that to happen," said someone in the know. "Given the choice between playing in Cleveland with LeBron or in Los Angeles with Kobe, I suspect we know which way Kidd would lean. You definitely don't want an unhappy impact player."

OK, so imagine for a moment the luxurious lineup of Kobe, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, Walton (I can't see them giving him up) and Kidd, who has two years left after this at $19.7M and $21.3M. A major contributing factor, of course, in the Nets' coherent thought process to let go is Marcus Williams' validation he's ready already to run the offense and handle the associated pressure. Starting fresh with the suave rookie as the team's fulcrum point is actually a comforting proposition.

Add Jefferson and Krstic and whatever you get worth keeping for Kidd (and Carter), and you've got a nice new nucleus to rebuild around. Obviously, if Kidd goes, Carter must be dispatched, too. Finding a team to assume his free agent-in-waiting risk is a problem, no doubt. It'd almost have to be a team convinced his prized presence can place it on a championship pedestal, or near enough to it to compete with the Mavericks, Suns, Spurs, Rockets, Pistons, Jazz, Lakers (with Kidd) and healthy Heat.

The Magic may fit that profile. Staggering of late, having lost six of ten, management may consider Carter exactly the offensive force it needs to compliment Dwight Howard. No question they'd torture any and all defensive concepts.

What could Orlando offer the Nets for Carter ($15.1M)? This is sheer speculation: Grant Hill's expiring $16.9M contract, a No. l pick and one of their four points, Travis Diener (664G).

What inducements can Orlando offer Carter to re-enlist? It certainly helps to have a legit co-star in place for a team on the rise, someone to share the limelight/weight with. More critical, perhaps, he was born and raised in Daytona Beach and his baby daughter lives in the Vincinity.

Then again, someone with the Nets might want to actually ask Carter what his intentions are.

How nice that David Stern selected Carmelo Anthony and Josh Howard to step in for injured All-Stars Yao Ming and Carlos Boozer. The commissioner credits Alan Hevesi for being the driving force behind his decision.

Headline on today's sports page in Cebu City, Philippines, courtesy of column contributor Ray McCormack: "Celtics Lose 17th Game In A Row"

Things are so bad in Boston, the leprechaun is now looking for the pot o' pot.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02112007/sports/nets/swamp_exodus_nets_peter_vecsey.htm?page=2

Purple & Gold
02-11-2007, 03:46 PM
He's not even saying anything new he's just speculating.

2Cleva
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
He's confirming an offer made by LA and revealing that NJ is strongly consideirng making the deal.

1Parker1
02-11-2007, 06:57 PM
That'd be pretty sweet for LA. Kobe, Lamar, Luke are all great complementary passers as well.

Smush Parker is currently killing any chance for the Lakers to get above the 6th seed. Dude flat out sucks, occasionally has a good game/shot. He makes the most boneheaded plays sometimes that have be scatching my head. Lakers should consider starting Sasha.

Purple & Gold
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
He's confirming an offer made by LA and revealing that NJ is strongly consideirng making the deal.
The Kwame + extras for Kidd is already an old deal that's been made public. Supposedly NJ stepped out once Kwame's injury became somewhat serious. He's just speculating on what would make a new deal work. I'm all for getting Kidd, he would make us contenders. Losing Walton, Evans, + picks would hurt, but if that's what it takes I'm all for it.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Vecsey=Assflake has anything he has ever said happened?

2Cleva
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Vescey nailed the Artest deal. He had Magloire being traded when NO was declining he was available. He was the first to confirm AI to Denver.

P&G - I'm well connected with what happend with that deal. Kwame's injury had nothing to do with it. What Vescey put out there IS NOT speculation. Does that make it a done deal? Of course not. But he's not throwing out old stuff.

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Cleva-ly deceptive, but this little thing didn't get past me. NJ is strongly considering A deal for Kidd, but it didn't say they strongly considered THAT deal. I'd have to think anything involving Kidd (or any other superstar) starts with Bynum.

2Cleva
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Why would it start with Bynum?

Did NJ give up that caliber of player for Carter?
Did Philly get that caliber for Iverson?
Did LA get that quality for Shaq?
Did Orlando get that quality for T-Mac?

Plenty of times young potential stars are mentioned but when push comes to shove it doesn't happen. Sure, NJ may like it but it doesn't make it so. Not a single superstar has been dealt for equal value in I don't know how long. It won't change when Kidd and/or Carter is dealt either.

Right now its all negotiation. Talks to get for real until Sunday after the game with the deadline down their necks. Then we'll see where it goes. But if the final price for Kidd was Bynum then the talks between LA and NJ would have died a long time ago because LA isn't dealing him for anyone - KG included.

MrChug
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I think it'd be the best for the newly-single Jason, now that he's free from the devil Joumana and sattelite-head kid TJ. But he would NOT be on a team that has any more of a chance than the Nets to win it all.

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Why would it start with Bynum?

Did NJ give up that caliber of player for Carter?
Did Philly get that caliber for Iverson?
Did LA get that quality for Shaq?
Did Orlando get that quality for T-Mac?

Plenty of times young potential stars are mentioned but when push comes to shove it doesn't happen. Sure, NJ may like it but it doesn't make it so. Not a single superstar has been dealt for equal value in I don't know how long. It won't change when Kidd and/or Carter is dealt either.

Right now its all negotiation. Talks to get for real until Sunday after the game with the deadline down their necks. Then we'll see where it goes. But if the final price for Kidd was Bynum then the talks between LA and NJ would have died a long time ago because LA isn't dealing him for anyone - KG included.

Carter, Iverson, Shaq, and T-Mac have one thing in common....they were all mal-contents before they got traded. NJ is not desperate to move any of their three superstars, as all three are perfectly happy in their current role. NJ is just putting feelers out and they got LA to bite with some bullshit offer of mediocre players.

Again, I think NJ wouldn't part with Kidd (maybe Carter) unless they got expiring contracts and some young frontcourt prospect. You're right about the Lakers and Bynum...which is why no deal has or will take place.

2Cleva
02-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Back to Vescey - I had to post this comment from my friend Larry Coon.

Vescey's problem is that sometimes he has something, and sometimes he doesn't. But when he doesn't, he has to write a column anyway.

mabber
02-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Vescey nailed the Artest deal. He had Magloire being traded when NO was declining he was available. He was the first to confirm AI to Denver.
P&G - I'm well connected with what happend with that deal. Kwame's injury had nothing to do with it. What Vescey put out there IS NOT speculation. Does that make it a done deal? Of course not. But he's not throwing out old stuff.

Yeah, he nailed those among the hundreds that he's missed on. He just throws stuff out there and every once in awhile he gets one right. It's not a bad way to go about his job as most people only recall the one's he gets right :lol

Horry For 3!
02-12-2007, 03:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors

Nets seriously considering Kidd-to-Lakers deal
Monday, Feb 12, 2007 1:18 pm EST

The New Jersey Nets are seriously considering a deal that would send All-Star point guard Jason Kidd to the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers have offered two first-round draft picks and several expiring contracts, in return. Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie and Jordan Farmar have been mentioned, as has center Kwame Brown. Nets' center Jason Collins could also be involved.

Source: New York Post

Medvedenko
02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Look at the source...New York Post...Vecsey again...just a re-hashing of previous rumours. This is not happening...I'd rather get Gasol...but it's still nice to dream.
Would this deal get us over the top....no..but it would make us very dangerous.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2007, 06:57 PM

Well it sounds like old stuff to me and a lot of speculation. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm very familiar with writers that make up trade deals.

Did the deal die or not? Sounds like Vescey is saying it never did. I think it's a smart move for NJ, they should start rebuilding now and I don't see them getting a better deal anywhere else. For the Lakers it's a no-brainer. If you can get Kidd while keeping Kobe, Odom, and Bynum you have to make the move.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Look at the source...New York Post...Vecsey again...just a re-hashing of previous rumours. This is not happening...I'd rather get Gasol...but it's still nice to dream.
Would this deal get us over the top....no..but it would make us very dangerous.
I'd also rather have Gasol, but his trade value is way higher. The only way he comes to the Lakers is if they are willing to move Bynum. And that's not going to happen.

Medvedenko
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I say move Bynum...seriously....only if you'd get KG...though.

Purple & Gold
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I say move Bynum...seriously....only if you'd get KG...though.
I wouldn't. I have a feeling he's gonna make his way to L.A. one way or the other. Either by opting out or forcing a trade to L.A. next year. I don't think it will cost us Bynum. Also Bynum will not lose any trade value anytime soon. Next year he will still be just as valuable as he is now, if the Lakers do end up deciding to move him.

trueD
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Addition to ESPN Rumors:

The bidding isn't limited to L.A. I have it on excellent authority the Cavaliers - desperate to relieve LeBron James of his playmaking-for-others-and-himself obligation, and transform him into an open court, post-up receiver - called the Nets to voice their fondness for Kidd.

"I don't look for that to happen," said someone in the know. "Given the choice between playing in Cleveland with LeBron or in Los Angeles with Kobe (Bryant), I suspect we know which way Kidd would lean. You definitely don't want an unhappy impact player."

Obviously, if Kidd goes, Vince Carter must be dispatched, too.

trueD
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
^^^ part of the article above, duh. :rolleyes

Still pertinent, since I would HATE for Kidd to show up at Staples doning a Laker uni.

:: shivers ::