PDA

View Full Version : Pop - "We're playing soft for too many minutes"

Spurs Brazil
02-11-2007, 05:40 PM
"We're still not playing physically enough, tough enough," Popovich said. "We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game. Just hoping and begging."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270211014

Kori Ellis
02-11-2007, 05:41 PM
"We're still not playing physically enough, tough enough," Popovich said. "We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game. Just hoping and begging."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270211014

So now he's just going to repeat calling the soft card after every game?

:lol

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
maybe because the roster is soft and quite simply, BAD

this team isn't going to be suddenly good after more the 1/2 the season is over

kevm2
02-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Exactly. If you don't want grandpa-esque play, you shouldn't have built a team full of them.

Russ
02-11-2007, 05:48 PM
This team has proved it's mental toughness repeatedly over the years. They don't suddenly become soft after toughness has already become a character trait. It just doesn't happen and Pop knows that. He just has no other buttons to push at this point.

The team wants to win -- they just have too many holes. But one or two players might fill most of those holes. Time to beat the bushes and find (not neccessarily trade for) those/that player(s).

timvp
02-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, the Spurs are a damn soft team right now. Part of the problem is the two centers on the team combined weight like 300 pounds. Another problem is most of the perimeter players are too slow to catch up and be physical.

picnroll
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
RC and Presti have proved to be a little soft.

1Parker1
02-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Exactly. If you don't want grandpa-esque play, you shouldn't have built a team full of them.

:lol Exactly.

If you pride yourself as a defended minded ball club, why the hell do you build your team into players like Finley, Barry, Beno, Elson, and Oberto none of whom are known for the defensive efforts? :wtf

Spurs Brazil
02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
What make me VERY worried is how Butler can't play any minutes?

He must be the worst center all time. He can't get minutes over Elson and Oberto.

We're not talking about Robinson and Willis. It's Elson and Oberto

SenorSpur
02-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Amen!

SenorSpur
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
maybe because the roster is soft and quite simply, BAD

this team isn't going to be suddenly good after more the 1/2 the season is over

.....and Amen again!

must be Sunday.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM

That's how Holt likes his boys.

timvp
02-11-2007, 05:57 PM

If you pride yourself as a defended minded ball club, why the hell do you build your team into players like Finley, Barry, Beno, Elson, and Oberto none of whom are known for the defensive efforts? :wtf

Yeah, when was the last time the Spurs signed someone because they were a good defender? The team just took it for granted that they could mold any defensiveless gunner into a good defensive player.

Ferry and Kerr weren't good defenders because they bought into the system. They were good defenders because Duncan and Robinson were behind them.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 06:07 PM
When you base defensive ability on contract size, you get what have here...

ALVAREZ6
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
It seems like now that the Spurs are falling, the Spurs front office and Pop are trying to whip out any excuse they can think of, trying not to admit their stupid moves. I don't know why but it seems like these guys are about to panic pretty soon and won't know WTF to do.

Marcus Bryant
02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I know what we need. A Max Lucado/David Robinson pray-in at the at&t.

ro_50
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM

He must be the worst center all time. He can't get minutes over Elson and Oberto.

You are exactly right. It's not like if Butler played he's taking for Yao or even Jamaal Magloire on smaller scale.

SenorSpur
02-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Yet another home run comment!

It pisses me off to no end that Pop and R.C. decided that the only to way complement the Big Three was with players who are either long on age and NBA experience or short on athleticism and talent or both.

Then they have the audacity to wonder why the defense, rebounding and overall intensity has suffered. Hello? This has seemingly been the logic that has driven acquisitions over the years such as Oberto, Barry, Finley, and NVE.

It also blows my mind how this regime has continuously mined the international market, waisting draft picks and investing so much time and energy in stashing these players overseas to develop. All the while ignoring the younger, cheaper, domestic talent pool. Talent that could possibly help the team win now.

Many of us on this board have been clamoring for three years for this organization to invest in a swingman. They've needed one since SJax left and have'nt found one yet! Un"freakin"believable! :bang

Now the needs list has grown!

baseline bum
02-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm still mad as fuck they didn't take Barbosa. I'd heard a lot of great things about him, and really wanted the Spurs to draft him, so I was pretty happy for a minute and a half until they announced they made the pick for the fucking Suns. How sweet would it be to have an NBA point guard backing Tony up, much less a sixth man of the year candidate with Claxton's speed?

1Parker1
02-11-2007, 06:51 PM
It also blows my mind how this regime has continuously mined the international market, waisting draft picks and investing so much time and energy in stashing these players overseas to develop. All the while ignoring the younger, cheaper, domestic talent pool. Talent that could possibly help the team win now.

I don't mind them mining the international market. Historically, Spurs have been good at IDing that talent and also they've had low draft picks and all the good domestic talent pool is usually taken by then. What my problem is why draft and trade for all these players, and then stash them away? They need help and younger talent NOW when Duncan/Manu are in their primes. Veteran leadership is obviously needed, but not an ENTIRE team worth.

td4mvp21
02-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Way to state the obvious :tu!

boutons_
02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
"Spurs have been good at IDing that talent"

only Tony and Manu have worked out in the last 6,7 years. A horrible %age.

2 home runs and then struck out on everything else.

CubanMustGo
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
"Spurs have been good at IDing that talent"

only Tony and Manu have worked out in the last 6,7 years. A horrible %age.

2 home runs and then struck out on everything else.

And damn, only three championships to show for it. We suck. I wish we were like Dallas, with a top notch proven winner for an owner and so much to show for it. Or Phoenix, yeah those guys are hot too.

What a bunch of spoiled pussies some of you "fans" are. You can't be the top team in the league forever. Let Pop and RC go, import someone else to be lead owner, and see how many championships come in the next ten years. Yeah, so some of the decisions made the last five years are coming home to roost. That's life.

1Parker1
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Way to state the obvious :tu!

If you don't like it then ignore the thread and go to a new one. Stop sounding like a condescending asshole.

picnroll
02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Since 2002 Spurs draft picks have yielded:

John Salmons
Leandro Barbosa
David Lee
Mardy Collins

Beno Udrih
Ian Mahinmi

Except the unknown of Mardy Collins the Spurs have used their own picks worse than every other team has used their picks. I'd trade Beno for Collins in a heart beat.

ducks
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
That's how Holt likes his boys.
mb go follow the mavs
they spend the money
oh wait the spurs have better success with that because their managent is much better then the mavs

ducks
02-11-2007, 07:19 PM
out of 6-7 years the spurs got tony and manu
what other teams with those picks have gotten better players or more good players?
and the juror is still out on jav,scola, ian....

The Truth #6
02-11-2007, 08:22 PM
For the most part, I don't think Pop wants to spend the energy developing young American talent. He probably wants to have an efficient practice and then go home and watch video while rearranging his wine cellar.

If he drafts Euros he can let them learn their fundamentals overseas instead of him having to do it. Its not a bad idea, except we haven't been able to bring over a solid foreign player very recently. Mike Brown seemed to be able to relate to young American players. I don't see anyone on the staff now that does that. Maybe they should find an assistant coach who does do that.

Gros Membres!
02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Since 2002 Spurs draft picks have yielded:

John Salmons
Leandro Barbosa
David Lee
Mardy Collins

Beno Udrih
Ian Mahinmi

Except the unknown of Mardy Collins the Spurs have used their own picks worse than every other team has used their picks. I'd trade Beno for Collins in a heart beat.
What this season tells me is that the Spurs management sucks. I am offically calling for their heads.

MannyIsGod
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
While I'm not happy with the recent trading of draft picks, I think you guys take for granted how difficult selecting good players is.

leemajors
02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
you'd think he would say "we're playing soft minutes" in general.

sprrs
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
And damn, only three championships to show for it. We suck. I wish we were like Dallas, with a top notch proven winner for an owner and so much to show for it. Or Phoenix, yeah those guys are hot too.

What a bunch of spoiled pussies some of you "fans" are. You can't be the top team in the league forever. Let Pop and RC go, import someone else to be lead owner, and see how many championships come in the next ten years. Yeah, so some of the decisions made the last five years are coming home to roost. That's life.

True, but I find it downright ridiculous that any team with Tim Duncan could be on the verge of becoming a .500 team, much less a team with Tim Duncan, Manu Gionbli, and Tony Parker.

ducks
02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
duncan hates early games

SequSpur
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
ducks is dumb

ducks
02-11-2007, 11:14 PM
show me a early game that duncan has played awesome

Tek_XX
02-12-2007, 12:48 AM
While I'm not happy with the recent trading of draft picks, I think you guys take for granted how difficult selecting good players is.

Gimme their paychecks and i'll take a shot at it.

Tek_XX
02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
show me a early game that duncan has played awesome

I will when you show me where you've made a good post.

Mavschick
02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
True, but I find it downright ridiculous that any team with Tim Duncan could be on the verge of becoming a .500 team, much less a team with Tim Duncan, Manu Gionbli, and Tony Parker.

How is SA at 16 games above .500 and with the 3rd-best record in the league "on the verge of becoming a .500 team"? :wtf

Tek_XX
02-12-2007, 12:54 AM
How is SA at 16 games above .500 and with the 3rd-best record in the league "on the verge of becoming a .500 team"? :wtf

We are 10-10 in 2007 you whore

but at least we've got rings

baseline bum
02-12-2007, 01:27 AM
The only one I'm pissed about is not getting Barbosa (or Howard), but that wasn't the front office being cheap... it was the front office trying to sign Kidd, which was going to be expensive as hell. Holt was ok with offering Kidd that deal, so I think it's hard to call him cheap.

Mavschick
02-12-2007, 01:34 AM
We are 10-10 in 2007 you whore

but at least we've got rings

Lol, "you whore". Spoken like a true undersocialized freak who couldn't get any from an inflatable female doll if he poured rohypnol down her blowhole first.

And how am I dissing your team? I pointed out you still had the 3rd best record in the league implying you were still one of the best teams in the league, but I guess your reading comprehension ability is as tiny as your little pud. That reminds me, my turtle wants his penis back.

ro_50
02-12-2007, 01:36 AM
For the most part, I don't think Pop wants to spend the energy developing young American talent. He probably wants to have an efficient practice and then go home and watch video while rearranging his wine cellar.

If he drafts Euros he can let them learn their fundamentals overseas instead of him having to do it. Its not a bad idea, except we haven't been able to bring over a solid foreign player very recently. Mike Brown seemed to be able to relate to young American players. I don't see anyone on the staff now that does that. Maybe they should find an assistant coach who does do that.

Ummmm.....

I don't know if you aware of this or not but P.J. Carlisemo use to coach college ball at Seton Hall and still has many contacts in the college game.

mavs>spurs2
02-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Lol, "you whore". Spoken like a true undersocialized freak who couldn't get any from an inflatable female doll if he poured rohypnol down her blowhole first.

And how am I dissing your team? I pointed out you still had the 3rd best record in the league implying you were still one of the best teams in the league, but I guess your reading comprehension ability is as tiny as your little pud. That reminds me, my turtle wants his penis back.

LOL that was brutal. I'd say Tek just got owned.

Mr. Body
02-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Josh Howard would have gotten like $700K a year, right? How was drafting him going to blow signing Jason Kidd? Were they within a dollar of not offering him a max contract? Was that such a big deal when TX has no income tax?

If Kidd wasn't going to come to the Spurs because of $700K, he wasn't going to come anyway. Not drafting someone in that instance was stupid and in the end, obviously very costly.

ro_50
02-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Josh Howard would have gotten like $700K a year, right? How was drafting him going to blow signing Jason Kidd? Were they within a dollar of not offering him a max contract? Was that such a big deal when TX has no income tax?

If Kidd wasn't going to come to the Spurs because of $700K, he wasn't going to come anyway. Not drafting someone in that instance was stupid and in the end, obviously very costly.

Agreed.

Ronaldo McDonald
02-12-2007, 05:59 AM
What does Pop expect? The Spurs have the most lethal synthesis around: geriatrics and Europeans.

George Gervin's Afro
02-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I have been saying since the beginning of the year that we have been playing mentally soft. What Pop publicly stated yesterday has been obvious to anyone who is watching this team play. In the end this team is not good enough to win when they do not play hard or with hunger. Yesterday was a familiar occurrence for this team. The Spurs were pushed around in the second half of a game and did not respond. We're just not good enough this year and I am beginning to accept that.

GrandeDavid
02-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Eu concordo com voce, 100%! Cade esse cara, Butler? Ele deve ser ruim e gordo ate!

bdictjames
02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
We're giving opponents a mental advantage. They know they can outplay us in the third and fourth quarter. We need to play one or two games without losing these quarters, to get us going again.

BigVee
02-12-2007, 11:02 AM
This soft thing is a bunch of bullshit. It's like whipping a horse that just can't get to the finish line first. They are playing as hard as they can. But, when you get nothing from the center position, nothing from your small forward, and nothing from Horry, Finley, Barry, etc.....it amounts to 3 on 5....it is so obvious. Pop is going to lose some guys if he keeps up the soft routine. His act is getting as old as the bench.

lefty
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Instead of calling his players soft, Pop should be wondering if he is not the one being soft ; since he has loosened up, we are not playing well ; if a coach is too relaxed, chances are that most of his players won't be focused.
Remember when he still had a tie and used to yell at his players? we were good.