PDA

View Full Version : Poor Eddy Curry....

spursfaninla
11-13-2004, 11:42 AM
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124284&forumid=2

Eddy Curry diagnosed with Anorexia (post #1)

Bulls center Eddy Curry has offered an explanation for his anemic performance against the Suns on Tuesday – he is suffering from anorexia. It seems his bid to get in shape for the first time in his life has backfired, and he is now suffering from weakness caused by malnourishment.

Last season, Curry arrived at training camp weighing in at 460 pounds, and was told to “trim down” a little by then-coach Bill Cartwright after he severely dented the playing surface at the United Center. Since then, he has been training to reduce his weight. This year he arrived at camp weighing a trim 285 pounds, but this has since plummeted to a “mere” 220 - leaving him severely weakened.

Curry, affectionately known as “Rotundo” to his friends and family, admitted the eating disorder yesterday: “I spent most of the summer eating celery and drinking lo-cal water. I spent a lot of time working out to Shawn Bradley videos. I kept looking at my poster of Manute Bol, and I knew I just looked different.”

Curry is no stranger to eating disorders. In high school he was diagnosed as being half bulimic, after he began habitually bingeing on hotdogs and burgers but forgetting to throw up afterwards. “I used to go on food benders for days – even weeks. I once ate a whole pig in two days. Man, was I fat. And I don’t mean p-h fat.”

His weakness explains his meagre 3 points against Phoenix, when he was repeatedly overpowered by 5’9” Yuta Tabuse in the paint. Coach Skiles spotted the problem a few weeks ago: “I thought something was up when little Kirk Hinrich knocked him over in that Wizards preseason game. He then got up and started fighting like a girl. I was real worried on Tuesday night when I threw him his jersey and he collapsed under the weight when he caught it.”

His weakness has resulted in his vertical “leap” falling back to his career low of 8 inches, back when he weighed 460 pounds.

The situation leaves the Bulls facing the loss of their supposed center-of-the-future. This fan summed it up: “It’s terrible. Apart from Ron Artest, Elton Brand, Jay Williams, Brad Miller, Jalen Rose, Ron Mercer, Trenton Hassell, Jamal Crawford, Eddie Robinson and Dalibor Bagaric, we’ve never lost a single good young prospect in the last 6 years. We’re just not used to it. Still, at least it gives us the chance to re-sign Cezary Trybanski, so there is some hope.”

Not all Curry’s teammates are sympathetic. Tyson Chandler said “Man, he’s just soft. I mean, I only weigh 90 pounds and I’m doin’ ok. His excuses are gettin’ lamer than JazzMan’s puns.”

Curry’s agent Lamont Carter spoke to us this morning. “Eddy is very unwell and very unhappy, so we are demanding a trade, obviously. When he looks in the mirror, he says he just sees this big black blob. To be honest, that’s all we see too, but if this continues I’ll have to get on to Dolce & Gabbana to see if they’ve got any slots on their roster.”

This is in no way intended to trivialise eating disorders or denigrate those who suffer from them.

ducks
11-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Curry says he wants to stay with Bulls, blames agent for trade talk
By NANCY ARMOUR, AP Sports Writer
November 12, 2004

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- Eddy Curry might want to think twice before venting to his agents again.

Curry said Friday he wants to stay with his hometown Chicago Bulls, blaming his agents for turning his private complaints into a public demand for a trade and adding chaos to a team that already has more than enough.

``I'm not trying to go nowhere,'' Curry said after the Bulls' practice. ``There's no way I want to leave Chicago, under no circumstances. Right now, I'm just trying to get all this past me and move forward.''

ADVERTISEMENT
The drama began Tuesday night with Curry's first game of the season. Despite losing more than 30 pounds over the summer and working hard on his game, Curry again looked lost. He didn't take a shot until the second quarter, didn't play in the fourth and finished with six rebounds and three points on 1-of-5 shooting.

Making his struggles even more glaring was the fact that Phoenix center Amare Stoudemire, drafted out of high school the year after Curry, was dazzling. He finished with 26 points and 15 rebounds, and scored Phoenix's first points on a dunk over Curry.

Curry and the rest of the Bulls were showered with boos during the 94-74 loss to the Suns, which dropped them to 0-3.

Curry said he talked to agents, Darren White and Lamont Carter, after the game as he usually does.

``I just told them I was upset. That was just how I was feeling,'' Curry said. ``I just was talking to them like I would anybody I felt was close to me. 'I'm frustrated and all of this,' and 'Losing and this and that and this and that.' I just didn't expect for it to get out.''

But he awoke Thursday to learn that White was asking the Bulls to trade their 7-foot center, drafted out of high school with Tyson Chandler in 2001 to be the cornerstones of the next dynasty.

Only White hadn't gone to Paxson with his trade demand. He'd gone to the Chicago Sun-Times.

``I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it,'' Curry said. ``I definitely had a few choice words for them yesterday. I said it was something that was definitely out of order. ... I never meant for it to get out like that.''

Paxson wasn't happy, either, saying White and Carter should have come to him first.

``I'm sure he vented to his agent, and I think Darren took that as he's trying to protect his player so his first reaction is he doesn't want to see that happen again so I need to get him out of here,'' Paxson said. ``When the reality is that none of us are doing any player a favor if we give him the easy way out. I think Eddy understands that.''

Paxson met with the team Thursday to make sure the situation didn't become a distraction. Curry left that day's practice early to see a doctor after spraining his right knee, but he called Paxson later to patch things up.

When Curry returned to the Bulls' practice facility, the two sat down to talk things over.

``(Eddy) hasn't told me he wants to leave,'' Paxson said. ``Eddy has made it clear that he did not authorize those things being said. It ended up being a story when it should be a non-story. It's done and over with.''

For now, maybe. But with so much invested in Curry and Chandler and the Bulls still so bad, the futures of the prep-to-pro projects will continue to be a hot topic.

Paxson didn't offer either a long-term extension by the Oct. 31 deadline, so the two must have big seasons if they want the big bucks. Both will be restricted free agents this summer.

Six teams reportedly expressed interest in Curry after White's trade demand, and Paxson said he will continue to listen if teams call -- just as he would with any player.

``I wouldn't be working in the best interest of the Bulls if I didn't,'' Paxson said. ``You have to take calls and you have to look at every possibility to get better. We don't have a great, great player, so there's obviously no one on our roster that we would consider untradable. That's just the way it is.

``But,'' he added, ``it doesn't mean we're going to go out and make a trade just for the sake of a trade.''

And Curry said he's told his agents to back off and stop trying to line up a trade.

``This is where I want to be,'' he said. ``Right now, Chicago is the only team that matters to me.''

Ignite
11-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Why is Eddie Curry starving? He's not a member of Latrell Spreewell's family.