PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden : Udrih benched for second-straight game

Bruno
02-12-2007, 04:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021207.04D.Spurs.notes.18e522e.html

Web Posted: 02/11/2007 10:25 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

MIAMI — Having lost his spot in the rotation again, Beno Udrih isn't quite ready to say he'd welcome a trade.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has used Jacque Vaughn to back up Tony Parker the past three games and has indicated he doesn't consider the move to be short term.

"Right now, I'm here, so I like it," Udrih said Sunday. "I'm not thinking about anything, really, like going somewhere else.

"Of course, I do want to play, but I still have a contract here in San Antonio. If they're going to trade me, that's their decision, not mine."

Udrih has been in and out of the rotation. Popovich sat him in late December, before giving the backup point guard job back to him in January.

A little more than two weeks ago, Popovich said he would back off Udrih in hopes he would start playing more confidently. Udrih responded with a productive performance, but his play and minutes were uneven the next three games.

Udrih didn't play against Miami. It was the second-straight game he did not play, and he is averaging only four minutes in the past six games.

Popovich has long been frustrated by Udrih's lack of aggression, but Udrih also is shooting a career-worst 35.4 percent, including 25.3 percent from the 3-point line, this season.

"I'm trying to get my confidence back in the practices," Udrih said. "It's harder than playing in the game, but that's how it is."

With his minutes fluctuating by the week, Udrih admitted he's pressed too much when he has been on the floor.

"It is harder because when you go into the game, then you're thinking about it," he said. "If I miss (a shot) ... all kind of stuff is going through my mind.

"I think that's maybe a little bit of my problem, too. Maybe I shouldn't think about it so much and just play."

While the Spurs are expected to explore trade opportunities, Udrih hopes his situation with the team will improve.

"I love San Antonio," he said. "I love the team. The organization is great.

"I'm going to keep working hard. If I get an opportunity, I'm going to take it and try to do my best, and then we'll see."

Elson cleared to play: An MRI on Francisco Elson's left knee revealed no structural damage.

Elson met with a local doctor and underwent the test Saturday night. The Spurs received the results Sunday morning and cleared him to play after he worked out before the game.

Elson still has some swelling in the knee and will be considered "day to day" depending how painful the injury becomes.

Elson hurt his knee in Friday's loss to Orlando but said he didn't notice the injury until his knee swelled after the game.

"I can't even tell you when it happened," Elson said.

Shaq on way back: Shaquille O'Neal gave the Spurs some trouble, particularly when he scored seven of his 16 points early in the third quarter, but played only 25 minutes overall.

He spent the entire fourth quarter on the bench.

Miami coach Ron Rothstein elected not to bring O'Neal back in part because the Spurs had gone to a small lineup. O'Neal also is still recovering from left knee surgery, which kept him out 32 games.

"He's not 100 percent yet," Rothstein said. "He's still working his way back. Later on in the year, it may require him to come back in. But this particular day, at this particular time, the way this group was playing, I just decided I wanted to go small."

Tim Duncan took the initial assignment of guarding O'Neal. In past years, Duncan wouldn't usually guard O'Neal until the fourth quarter.

Briefly: Sunday was the first time Miami had scored 100 points against the Spurs since March 14, 1996. ... The Heat were missing starting point guard Jason Williams, who has a slight abdominal tear. Rothstein said Williams will not return until after the All-Star break.

Kori Ellis
02-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Sunday was the first time Miami had scored 100 points against the Spurs since March 14, 1996.

:(

mountainballer
02-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Sunday was the first time Miami had scored 100 points against the Spurs since March 14, 1996.

scary indeed, when teams start to score above their average against the Spurs.

WalterBenitez
02-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Scored 100 points, easy to see .. turnovers, Bruceīs low batteries and many of our guys lost in traffic.

For the record they got 2 kids on fire yesterday.

ducks
02-12-2007, 08:38 AM
is pop not playing beno because he wants to work a trade to get rid of him
beno is so injury prone

Kermit
02-12-2007, 08:47 AM
things you can get in a trade for beno...

http://www.shponline.com/data/products/40_a3103.jpg
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/media/Courtney-Love-versj_631442e.jpg
http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/ford/antigos/pinto-74.jpg
http://www.rlbps.com/FC6.gif
http://plethora3.tripod.com/towlie.gif
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/techspilled/phone1.jpg
http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/PLX080719.jpg

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 09:00 AM
"I'm trying to get my confidence back in the practices," Udrih said. "It's harder than playing in the game, but that's how it is."

With his minutes fluctuating by the week, Udrih admitted he's pressed too much when he has been on the floor.

"It is harder because when you go into the game, then you're thinking about it," he said. "If I miss (a shot) ... all kind of stuff is going through my mind.

He's screwed. When you KNOW you're pressing and thinking too much it just makes it worse. So sad.... :depressed

mountainballer
02-12-2007, 09:11 AM

a player, who can't stand the pressure as a back-up in the regular season, is absolutly worthless for a PO team, even more for a title contender.
(as happened in 2005, when people thought it was just because of his inexpirience)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-12-2007, 09:15 AM
:(
So, is there like a record this year for records being reset ???

Because I've noticed an unsettling trend of opposing team statistics falling out of our favor this year alone!

SAGambler
02-12-2007, 09:52 AM
IMO Pop ruined Beno with is NVE experiment.

And Beno admits just exactly to what I have alluded to before here. He is thinking too much about making a mistake and being pulled.

I don't think Beno will ever get his confidence back with this team. He may never get it back. But that's on Pop.

The only thing left to do is trade Beno for the sake of both him and the Spurs. It's a shame, because he certainly had possibilities of being a great backup to Tony.

nkdlunch
02-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Howcome Pop doesn't try to start Beno and bring Tony off the bench?

try anything Pop, what the fuck does it matter, we losing anyway, Miami beat us without even breaking a sweat

ploto
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
And Beno admits just exactly to what I have alluded to before here. He is thinking too much about making a mistake and being pulled.

This has been an interesting development in the past couple of years as the Spurs reportedly having such a deep team with so many guys who could play. Players got yanked for making a mistake because they could just send someone else in-- and so on and so on. Imagine if Manu or Tony had been handled that way.

nkdlunch
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Imagine if Manu or Tony had been handled that way.

they were genius. Obviously you haven't watched games before Beno came in to the Spurs.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Who cares about beno anyways.Spurs have worse issues righ now tham the back up PG.+Vaughn can do the same things he was doing,when parker is on the bench(nothing).

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Who cares about beno anyways.Spurs have worse issues righ now tham the back up PG.+Vaughn can do the same things he was doing,when parker is on the bench(nothing).

Actually, I think the backup PG spot is a serious issue (two decent games by Vaughn don't change that) and it's one of the easiest to remedy as there are teams looking to unload excess.

BTW, I use the word "decent" as a term relative to his potential (5pts 5asts at most) and the lack of production from the other option.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Actually, I think the backup PG spot is a serious issue (two decent games by Vaughn don't change that) and it's one of the easiest to remedy as there are teams looking to unload excess.

BTW, I use the word "decent" as a term relative to his potential (5pts 5asts at most) and the lack of production from the other option.

Honestly PHAT,I really donīt think the spurs reality will change if they bring another point guard.I say letīs get rid of Beno and bring a buckup SF,why?cause like you said Vaughn is doing decent(at least for 2 games so far)and we still look horendous out there.
Thatīs why I said we have worse issues tham a lack of a decent buck up PG.Like rebounding and lack of Energy right now.
It really looks like most spurs players run slower tham other teamīs players,like when going to a loose ball for example.

MoSpur
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, there are rumors that the Knicks really want to trade Francis before the deadline. If that doesn't happen, they are going to buyout his contract. That would make him a free agent and hopefully the Spurs can pick him up. He isn't the best fit for San Antonio, but the Spurs need a backup really bad. Vaughn isn't good enough when it comes to the playoffs. Beno is going to be traded. I think Beno has a lot of talent. I think Pop messed him up. You have to put the blame on both Pop and Beno though.

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, there are rumors that the Knicks really want to trade Francis before the deadline. If that doesn't happen, they are going to buyout his contract. That would make him a free agent and hopefully the Spurs can pick him up. He isn't the best fit for San Antonio, but the Spurs need a backup really bad. Vaughn isn't good enough when it comes to the playoffs. Beno is going to be traded. I think Beno has a lot of talent. I think Pop messed him up. You have to put the blame on both Pop and Beno though.

Not sure how recent those rumors are (he reported back to the Knicks and has had some PT), but if he does get bought out, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Someone alluded in another thread to the veteran character of this team and that one role player wouldn't destroy team chemistry...even if that player is Stevie "I am the" Franchise

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
A month ago I started a Francis thread and nobody seemed to like my idea.
Iīd love to have Francis,but honestly He wonīt come to the spurs to be a buck up.
Iīd play him as a Starting SG with tony and they can share the PG spot as well,and keep on bringing manu from the bench.
Another thing is that he may like to go back to houston,he was actaully there this past two or three weeks trying to get some rest while recovering from his injury.

MoSpur
02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I read that rumor this morning. Don't know which online news source it was though.

z0sa
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Problem is, Manu still avgs 30 mins or so off the bench regardless. With the Franchise it'd be more like 24. Neither he nor Manu would be happy about 24-27 mpg.

edit: maybe manu, but not francis.

ploto
02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
they were genius. Obviously you haven't watched games before Beno came in to the Spurs.

What are you even tallking about? If Pop had pulled Manu every time he made a mistake, he would have spent all his time on the bench. Pop learned to deal with those mistakes as part of his nature. But guys like Nazr got pulled every time they made an error and were never given the chance of working through their mistakes. It creates the issue where the player is thinking about messing up because he knows he will get pulled immediately.

nkdlunch
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
What are you even tallking about? If Pop had pulled Manu every time he made a mistake, he would have spent all his time on the bench. Pop learned to deal with those mistakes as part of his nature. But guys like Nazr got pulled every time they made an error and were never given the chance of working through their mistakes. It creates the issue where the player is thinking about messing up because he knows he will get pulled immediately.

Again, you obviously have not watched previous games. He did pull Manu everytime he made a mistake on his rookie year, he did that to Tony too. The difference is that even through their mistakes, manu and tony would contribute. Nazr, Beno, don't contribute shit, that's why they stay on the bench.

In Beno's case I beleive Pop has given up, goddam Beno sucks ass :pctoss

Testing
02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't mind Franchise at this point. Spurs need some scoring with Finley, Horry, Beno and company struggling.

Testing
02-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Doubt he'd come here to play limited minutes though as a backup. He'd want a starting job somewhere...

Spurs Brazil
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Beno sucks. Trade him or waive him. We need a PG that can give us something

MoSpur
02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I am sure Francis would be okay with backing up Tony. He would only do it for the rest of the season and then split after season's end.

objective
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately for Beno . . . he's the only Spur held to a performance standard.

No matter how poorly Oberto/Elson/Finley/Barry/Horry play . . . their minutes are safe. They don't have to produce anything.

Beno on the other hand . . . guy makes one mistake and he's instantly out of the game for Jacque Vaughn.

rayray2k8
02-12-2007, 01:38 PM
This tells me how long you've been a spurs fans. Or better yet a beno fan. :rolleyes

Kermit
02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately for Beno . . . he's the only Spur held to a performance standard.

No matter how poorly Oberto/Elson/Finley/Barry/Horry play . . . their minutes are safe. They don't have to produce anything.

Beno on the other hand . . . guy makes one mistake and he's instantly out of the game for Jacque Vaughn.

what are the alternatives to Oberto/Elson/Finley/Barry/Horry? butler? white? at least we have a third string pg.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Sign Conroy.

objective
02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
what are the alternatives to Oberto/Elson/Finley/Barry/Horry? butler? white? at least we have a third string pg.

Yes, those are the alternatives, Butler and White.

And that 3rd string point guard has played so poorly that he has been yanked a number of times this season. He has bricked and turnovered his way right onto the bench a number of times forcing Parker to play more.

So it's not like he's some kind of proven player that can be relied upon for 15 minutes a night.

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Doubt he'd come here to play limited minutes though as a backup. He'd want a starting job somewhere...

Having a legit backup would mean Tony wouldn't have to stay out on the floor for 40 minutes and Francis can play some of the two-spot as well. I don't think his minutes would suffer.

Having said that....

You're right about other jobs being enticing. I still think if he gets cut, Miami is the destination. One PG is on his last legs and the other has been injured for some time, causing D-Wade to play backup PG and basically be on the floor for 40+MPG. They'd look the most attractive to Francis for sure.

Kermit
02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, those are the alternatives, Butler and White.

And that 3rd string point guard has played so poorly that he has been yanked a number of times this season. He has bricked and turnovered his way right onto the bench a number of times forcing Parker to play more.

So it's not like he's some kind of proven player that can be relied upon for 15 minutes a night.

and yet, he plays better than beno. imagine that. third string pg's aren't supposed to be any good. second string pg's are expected to carry their weight.

butler and white are no alternatives. if they could play, i'm sure they would have seen plenty of action by now.

timvp
02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Again, you obviously have not watched previous games. He did pull Manu everytime he made a mistake on his rookie year, he did that to Tony too. The difference is that even through their mistakes, manu and tony would contribute. Nazr, Beno, don't contribute shit, that's why they stay on the bench.

Exactly. Pop was harder on Tony and Manu than he was on probably any other Spurs. When Tony and Manu were rookies, Pop would pull them out all the time. Pop wouldn't yell at Manu like he did at Tony, but he'd get pissed off. And I've heard stories that at first, Manu and Pop fought so much in practice that Manu was thinking about asking for a trade.

Pop hasn't done anything 1/10th as bad to Beno. I've never seen Pop yell at Beno in front of the whole arena like he did with Parker. I've never seen Pop take Beno out and sit him right away after a bad pass like he did with Manu.

But Pop is one of the best at reading players and seeing what they can withstand. He knew that Tony and Manu are super confident players who can roll with the punches. He knew Tony could get yelled at and take it in stride. With Beno, he knows that if he yells at him, it'll just make him go further into his shell.

The only player I've ever seen Pop be nicer to than Beno was Hedo. Those two guys have fragile egos so Pop knew he couldn't go too hard on them. The worst thing Beno has had to endure is criticism through the media, which wouldn't even rank on the scale to what Pop did with Parker and Manu in their first couple years in the league.

MoSpur
02-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I remember Beno was being interviewed by David Sears from KSAT before a game not too long ago. Anyway, David Sears asked him about how he stays focused even though his name had been mentioned in trade rumors. Beno looked like a deer in headlights. He was caught off guard and looked totally surprised. He responded to Sears by saying something like he had no idea he had been mentioned in trade rumors because he doesn't read newspapers or watch much news. David Sears asked, you don't watch any type if news? Beno said no and looked like he wanted to cry.

timvp
02-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I remember Beno was being interviewed by David Sears from KSAT before a game not too long ago. Anyway, David Sears asked him about how he stays focused even though his name had been mentioned in trade rumors. Beno looked like a deer in headlights. He was caught off guard and looked totally surprised. He responded to Sears by saying something like he had no idea he had been mentioned in trade rumors because he doesn't read newspapers or watch much news. David Sears asked, you don't watch any type if news? Beno said no and looked like he wanted to cry.

That's why Pop criticizes Beno through media. Beno doesn't read the newspaper or watch the news so it doesn't effect him :lol

Pop has given Beno all the space that is humanly possible to let him become anything resembling an NBA player. If anything, Pop hasn't been hard enough on him. I'm to the point that I want Pop to cuss him out in front of the world to see if that wakes Beno up.

MoSpur
02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
He really doesn't seem like he cares that he isn't playing. If he did, he'd fight for minutes. Even if its eight minutes.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Problem is, Manu still avgs 30 mins or so off the bench regardless. With the Franchise it'd be more like 24. Neither he nor Manu would be happy about 24-27 mpg.

edit: maybe manu, but not francis.

yes,but he(manu) can actually come from the bench replacing francis Or parker,that gives you 48 mins x2(2 guards always on the floor)=96 mins for PG an SF,if you divide that in 3 =32 mins(for parker,ginobili and francis)
problem solved.

MoSpur
02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I have the feeling Beno will be gone soon. I actually see a team taking a chance on Beno. It won't cost them a lot.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Listen,Parker,Ginobili and francis could co-exist in the same team averaging 32 mins/p game each one if Pop wants to,evethough manu averages 28-30 mins p/game

2centsworth
02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I remember one game against Memphis at home in Manu's second year Pop went nutz on Manu. It got so bad Manu waived Pop off and told him to shut up.

As for Beno, the one thing that would help him more than anything else IMO is if he would look at the rim when he shoots. For some odd reason, more times than not, he likes to stare at the floor at the beginning of his shot.

If I were Pop I would slap Beno and yell "BE A MAN" like Don Corleone in God Father.

timvp
02-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Steve Francis would never sign with the Spurs. This is the same guy who said Parker was a scrub and that Antonio Daniels should be starting for the Spurs. Now Spurs fans think he'd sign in SA to backup Parker when there are other teams out there are teams out there he could start for?

Yeah right.

Nikos
02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't mind Franchise. He at least can rebound and score in bunches at the guard position. But yeah, its basically impossible that he would end up in SA.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Steve Francis would never sign with the Spurs. This is the same guy who said Parker was a scrub and that Antonio Daniels should be starting for the Spurs. Now Spurs fans think he'd sign in SA to backup Parker when there are other teams out there are teams out there he could start for?

Yeah right.

he doesnīt have to be a buck up with the crap we have right now on our roster,he can be a starter,with tony and play 30 mins p/game,and manu can replace him or parker,cause they all can play both PG and SG.
SO,no wrong

Extra Stout
02-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Yeah right.
He only said that because Parker told him he doesn't swing that way.

Budkin
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah right.

Francis is a piece of shit ballhog who is an absolute cancer in the locker room. For the love of God, please do not let him even get near the Spurs. I've already had to endure watching him with the Magic.

sabar
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I knew it, Beno is just too fragile. If he hits his first couple of shots he will play well and shoot .500, but if he goes 0/2 on his first couple of shots he'll put out a .200 performance and commit 3+ turnovers.

It's sad. So much talent in Beno being killed off.

SequSpur
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
What The Fuck Does Beno Have To Do With Another Fourth Quarter Let Down?

Why Does Ludden Write An Article About Beno Post Blowout? Why Does Buck Write An Article About Finley Post Blowout?

Got Damn These Guys Are Two Pussbag Writers That Need To Go Write For The Fredericksburg Nickel.

Geezus Fing Kriste.

ploto
02-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I know quite well how Pop yelled at Tony all the time, but his place as the starter and the minutes that went with it were never in doubt in the course of a season. I do not recall Pop yanking Tony or Manu 20 seconds into the third quarter of games like he did with Nazr after one defensive mistake. It didn't work with Nazr and it hasn't worked with Beno- quite obviously.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM
:lmao @ ploto defending Nazr.

If we were talking about impact NBA players, I might care if Pop didn't connect with them.

leemajors
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I know quite well how Pop yelled at Tony all the time, but his place as the starter and the minutes that went with it were never in doubt in the course of a season. I do not recall Pop yanking Tony or Manu 20 seconds into the third quarter of games like he did with Nazr after one defensive mistake. It didn't work with Nazr and it hasn't worked with Beno- quite obviously.

tony's work ethic has never been questioned - beno and nazr's have been repeatedly.

1Parker1
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Beno is the least of the Spurs problem at this point. Finding a center who can rebound is much more important. I figure Parker would probably get extended minutes in the playoffs, and Manu/Barry could back him up. I've lost all hope for Beno this season. Even when he was at his best, he has never shown an ability to come up in a playoff game...hell he can't even bring up the ball under full court pressure. What do you think Jason Terry/Harris will do to him?

timvp
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Pop did that all the time with Tony and Manu. Not sure where you were.

As a matter of fact, he's done it to both Tony and Manu this season.

And Tony never lost his starting job because he's like 1,000,000 times better than Beno. If Beno played halfway decently, he wouldn't lose his job either.

ploto
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
tony's work ethic has never been questioned - beno and nazr's have been repeatedly.
That is not true-- no one ever questioned Nazr's work ethic-- only his basketball IQ.

Please, list for me the games in which Pop has pulled either Manu or Tony 20 seconds into the third quarter- NEVER to be seen again that game.

Kori Ellis
02-12-2007, 10:00 PM
That is not true-- no one ever questioned Nazr's work ethic-- only his basketball IQ.

Please, list for me the games in which Pop has pulled either Manu or Tony 20 seconds into the third quarter- NEVER to be seen again that game.

:lol

You are talking about a huge difference in talent level. You don't bench a guy like Manu or Tony in the 3rd quarter and never put them back in a game. You do bench a guy like Beno or Nazr - they are role players - Tony and Manu are a lot more than that.

ploto
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Not an answer-- the claim was that Pop did it to Tony and Manu ALL the time. At least you admit that he didn't.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
He has pulled starters a couple of minutes into a game. Nothing new.

Beno should play better.

timvp
02-12-2007, 10:23 PM

WTF? Where did you pull that qualifier out of? Pop oftentimes pulls his starters early in quarters or right after putting them in a game to prove a point. Nobody said he pulled out Tony or Manu and kept them out. They were and have always been too good.

But if you want evidence of Pop pulling out a player and then never putting them back in, other than Beno and Nazr, look no further than your friend Rasho. After giving up four offensive rebounds to begin the second quarter, Rasho was pulled and benched for the rest of the game. Even though he started :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=241208024