PDA

View Full Version : I want to see an Elson, Horry, Duncan frontline

whottt
02-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I firmly believe that Elson has the speed and athleticism to guard most SF's defensively...and more importantly, I think he can be more effective against them than he is against a lot of C's. I think this lineup will allow us to get rebounding and shotblocking from the SF position as well as the PF and C positions.

Elson has shown he can swallow up smaller players on D...and yes, I think he's faster than just about any guy on the team.

He's a hell of a lot faster than Hedo was...and Hedo was a 6'10 dude that could guard 2 guards.

Offensively Horry can play SF, he's got the range and he's underrated on his ability to drive to the basket...he's no Manu, but he can do anything Bowen does on offense.

I am not saying this should be our starting lineup...it's just a lineup I want to see used more.

And yes there is a precedent for this sort of lineup in the Pop era...Pop did play a Duncan, Robinson, Perdue frontline sparingly once upon a time.

Thoughts?

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
And who is gonna play D and rebound?besides Duncan.

whottt
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Don't you have a government to overthrow or something?

dimsah
02-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Did you just ask who is going to rebound?
It's not like Bruce, or Fin, or Barry are rebound hogs.

I agree that Elson could probably guard a few small forwards.
I like it.

VaSpursFan
02-12-2007, 11:43 AM
i'm game for anything to shake this team up.

johnpaulwall21
02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
horry should never be in any line up unless its a blowout

whottt
Fin and Barry are good rebounders for the 2 guard spot...they just aren't good rebounders going up against SF's...

And Bruce doesn't get rebounds because he lines up at the 3 point like 99% of the time and he's usually being defended by a bigger man.

Small Ball is what causes our rebounding problems.

But you are absolutely right...Elson won't have that problem...he'll create the problem.

Johnny_Blaze_47
Because we haven't been giving up quite enough points to seal our fate just yet.

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I firmly believe that Elson has the speed and athleticism to guard most SF's defensively...and more importantly, I think he can be more effective against them than he is against a lot of C's. I think this lineup will allow us to get rebounding and shotblocking from the SF position as well as the PF and C positions.

Elson has shown he can swallow up smaller players on D...and yes, I think he's faster than just about any guy on the team.

He's a hell of a lot faster than Hedo was...and Hedo was a 6'10 dude that could guard 2 guards.

Offensively Horry can play SF, he's got the range and he's underrated on his ability to drive to the basket...he's no Manu, but he can do anything Bowen does on offense.

I am not saying this should be our starting lineup...it's just a lineup I want to see used more.

And yes there is a precedent for this sort of lineup in the Pop era...Pop did play a Duncan, Robinson, Perdue frontline sparingly once upon a time.

Thoughts?

I don't know if it'd make that much difference, but it's not a horrible idea. Hell at least you're thinking....not convinced the Front Office and Coaching Staff are doing the same.

whottt
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Because we haven't been giving up quite enough points to seal our fate just yet.

Oh yes we have...

And we are getting fucking assraped on the glass...

And Elson does defend man on man good...it's his rotations that are the problem...nontheless, beggars can't be choosers.

Rick Von Braun
02-12-2007, 12:04 PM

Thoughts?

I would consider it if for no other reason that this is the anti-small-ball.

Play TP, Manu, Elson, Horry and TP for a short while and see what happens. The Spurs would probably get an improvement in the rebounds dept., and by playing TD and Elson in the low post, and Horry, Manu and TP in the perimeter, they would still have a balance offense.

The main problem is that Horry cannot play many minutes, he is really showing his age. However, at this point, it is definitely worth trying.

Spurminator
02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd only try it against Utah or Miami. I'm not convinced at all that Elson could guard SFs, but I could see it against Kirilenko... maybe Posey.

And it's teams like that who give us the most trouble on the glass.

Kori Ellis
02-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd only try it against Utah or Miami. I'm not convinced at all that Elson could guard SFs...

I am not either. But I'm all for mixing things up in small stretches just to see if there's a lineup that may rebound a little better.

bdictjames
02-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I wonder why I havent thought of this. Sounds good to me.

ploto
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Raptors play Bosh, Rasho, and Bargnani together at times, but they play some zone to make it work. Worked against Phoenix really well of all teams.

timvp
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, seeing how Elson is worthless if he's matched up against a center, it's a pretty good idea. His best games of the season have all been against teams that put smaller (Jarvis Hayes, Mike Dunleavy) or softer (Dirk, Tim Thomas) players on him.

Do I think it'll happen? No, I think Pop will always fall back to going with Finley or Barry. For some reason he plays those guys like he owes them a favor. Elson at the three could work against some teams, but I doubt we ever see it.

whotttt, what do you think of Elson's value against other team's bigmen. Still worth having out there or you've given up and only want to see him at three?

VaSpursFan
02-12-2007, 12:50 PM
tall ball versus small ball. i like the outside of the box thinking. elson has the foot speed to make this work. horry would be the SF on offense and he likes to camp by the 3pt line like Bowen anyway.

let's give it a whirl and see what happens. there is no way that we could rebound any worse than we do now.

MarCowMar
02-12-2007, 12:52 PM
++

That is an interesting lineup.

sribb43
02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I dont think that lineup would be successful very much. So Elson would guard Josh Howard, Melo, Rashard Lewis, Marion just to name a few. He would get torched on the defensive end and his offensive game isnt polished enough to make up for the discrepency on the defensive end. You think that Pop is gonna keep feeding the ball to Elson in the post just bc he has a height advantage. The ball still needs to be in TP, Manu and Tim's hands not Elson. Horry can spread the floor but his shot has become way to inconsistent to be considered a threat right now

Sacramental
02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Horry is clutch.

Testing
02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
At this point I think it may be smart. I don't think Bruce is an effective starter anymore. Yes, he's still defending opposing players well enough, however, the system isn't working anymore since when he funnels his guy to the paint, we have no shotblockers there waiting. More than that, his offense at this point is becoming more of a burden outweighing his defensive ability for the team. Because Elson/Oberto are also crappy offensively, we have basically 3 starters who can score. Teams can double, triple team them on the offensive end making it that much harder for them to score. At least when Bruce was hitting some 3 pointers, it helped hte Spurs offensively and opened up a little room. Now he's a hinderance in the starting line up.

2centsworth
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Elson could guard the power forward slot too. Horry is quick enough to force a SF to the baseline where Elson and Duncan could help out.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know if it'd make that much difference, but it's not a horrible idea. Hell at least you're thinking....not convinced the Front Office and Coaching Staff are doing the same.
if Pop plays Horry more tham 10 mins p/game HORRY may die of a heart attack.
lets get sirious PLEASE!!!

AFBlue
02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Elson could guard the power forward slot too. Horry is quick enough to force a SF to the baseline where Elson and Duncan could help out.

Actually...based on Horry's age and Elson lack of understanding when it comes to help defense, I think I'd rather stick Elson out on the perimeter and funnel into Duncan/Horry.

gregpschneid
02-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Horry is the worst player on the spurs. He used to be able to defend and rebound, but now he can't do either. All he can do is hit an occasional three. The less playing time he sees the better the spurs will be. Starting horry would be a disaster.

T Park
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Horry is the worst player on the spurs. He used to be able to defend and rebound, but now he can't do either. All he can do is hit an occasional three. The less playing time he sees the better the spurs will be. Starting horry would be a disaster

No I think that distinction goes to Beno Udrih or Jacque Vaughn.

T Park
02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
BTW,

That lineup would work perfectly VS the Mavericks IMO.

Long, quick enought o keep up.

Horry could guard Devin George.

Ginobili could handle Howard if you have Duncan and elson backing him up.

Elson can guard Dirk, hes proven it.

Doubt we see it though.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure it would make much difference at this point, but it's worth a try.

Maddog
02-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Horry is the worst player on the spurs. He used to be able to defend and rebound, but now he can't do either. All he can do is hit an occasional three. The less playing time he sees the better the spurs will be. Starting horry would be a disaster.
Horry circa 94-99 it would be a good lineup. Back when he played SF at times. today nope.

ShoogarBear
02-12-2007, 05:09 PM
This is worth a shot for a few minutes a game.

I want to see the end of all lineups with Finley at the 4.

itzsoweezee
02-12-2007, 05:39 PM
makes too much sense. popovich would never do it. instead, expect more small ball: duncan, ginobili, parker, barry, and finley. ie, the 'shoot a bunch of threes, don't rebound, and forget about defense lineup.'

pad300
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
if Pop plays Horry more tham 10 mins p/game HORRY may die of a heart attack.
lets get sirious PLEASE!!!

Due to the season/career ending injury clause in the CBA, we could apply for a lux tax exemption. This would also open a roster spot. Given the way Horry's been playing, this is a problem because ??? :devil

sabar
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
So the plan is to kill Horry to get an exemption and a roster spot at which point Holt HAS to cough up the dough to get us a missing championship piece?

Hmm...

td4mvp21
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd try it, it's not like it can hurt us anymore than our current small ball lineup :lol.

whottt
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
whotttt, what do you think of Elson's value against other team's bigmen. Still worth having out there or you've given up and only want to see him at three?

No...just against the teams that give us trouble at that position ;)

Jazz, Lakers, Heat, Rockets, Suns...actually against the Suns I think I just keep him on Amare.

Mavs I want him on Dirk.

I like the idea of Elson at the 3 a loooooooooooooooot better than Finley at the 4...and I like the idea of Finley at the 4 better with Elson at the 3 now that I think about it.

Finley is not a PF in any era of the NBA.

whottt
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
All you guys hating on Horry need to realize he's our best big other than Duncan...and judging him by regular season play is a mistake.

Kori Ellis
02-12-2007, 10:37 PM
BTW,

That lineup would work perfectly VS the Mavericks IMO.

Long, quick enought o keep up.

Horry could guard Devin George.

Ginobili could handle Howard if you have Duncan and elson backing him up.

Elson can guard Dirk, hes proven it.

Doubt we see it though.

I love how people point to Elson guarding Dirk for 15 minutes in one game as hard core proof that he can guard Dirk consistently :lol

Udrihlooms
02-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I love how people point to Elson guarding Dirk for 15 minutes in one game as hard core proof that he can guard Dirk consistently :lol

yup. agree.

there was this guy Ryan Bowen from the Rockets who once guarded Dirk and seemed to stop him, and was hailed immediately as Dirk stopper. the next few times they met, that German simply roasted Bowen's ass and i think we've seen the last of him.

dirk, similar to duncan (or kobe, or tmac,) may be guardable at 15-minute stretches, but they always seems to figure out their guy at the right moment, when the game matters most.

so i agree that Elson, may be nothing but a 15-minute solution to the mavs. Hey, nobody expects elson to be our saviour in a 7-game series vs the mavs.

but then again i may be wrong! but i honestly don't think elson is our messiah.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Thoughts?

Horry can't give you any rbs or pts, so that means Duncan would have to get at least 15rbs for the Spurs NOT to get destroyed on the boards

txallstar
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
why not bowen, he's good defender, horry can hit occasional 3s, and elson can guard sf. duncan in the middle, tp and manu switching in and out of the pg/sg. that line up would kill. guaranteed a lottery pick with that line up.

Quasar
02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Great idea here... Now how do we get Pop to try it out?

Kori, throw that idea at Pop at the next press conferences?!