PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario up front again

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
CBS Sports (http://cbs.sportsline.com/)

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 01:09 PM
meh, he's overrated. but, i am looking forward to the game tonight...i wonder if oklahomo state can finally win on the road in the Big 12? i doubt it.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Talk about overrated - hello... Carter.

Nah, OSU will lose by 14 or so tonite.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Talk about overrated - hello... Carter.

Nah, OSU will lose by 14 or so tonite.

lol, Carter isn't overrated at all, he can't be. he doesn't get a lot of publicity, unlike Boggan, and he's much younger. fwiw, Boggan is a very good player, he's just overrated, imo. you can be good and overrated...just like lebron.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Mario will be 2nd in PoY voting, and most likely unanimous All B12 along with PoY Durant. Mario will also be 2nd or 3rd team AA.

For sure I would say Maric gets a spot on All B12 squad as C. Most likley:
G Durant
G Jackson
G Law
F Boggan
C Maric

Zeno and Curry will for sure be 2nd teamers. Who else? KU's Wright? Can you believe that no KU players stand out on the 1st or 2nd team list? Maybe Augustine?

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 01:55 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/college/img9992262.jpg

And while we are at it... doesn't that ttek kid look like he's 12?

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Mario will be 2nd in PoY voting, and most likely unanimous All B12 along with PoY Durant. Mario will also be 2nd or 3rd team AA.

For sure I would say Maric gets a spot on All B12 squad as C. Most likley:
G Durant
G Jackson
G Law
F Boggan
C Maric

Zeno and Curry will for sure be 2nd teamers. Who else? KU's Wright? Can you believe that no KU players stand out on the 1st or 2nd team list? Maybe Augustine?

...i don't know how they are going to break it down, but there is no way Durant, Jackson, Law, and Boggan aren't on that team. after that, i'm not completely sure who will be center, but Maric is a good bet.

as for Kansas, yeah its kind of nuts. but they have a lot of balance and play a lot of guards...just unfortunate for them in a year when Durant, Law, and Jackson are in the same conference.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/college/img9992262.jpg

And while we are at it... doesn't that ttek kid look like he's 12?

lol, yeah. if A&M doesn't kill that team tomorrow, i will be disappointed. i know thats kind of unrealistic cause tekk will probably play a great game considering how many they lost in a row now...but damn i can't stand that team.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Normally there are 3 Gs and 2 Fs on the list. The last true C on the B12 team was Mihm in '00 and then the year before Hamilton from Neb.

There may be some pressure or belief that you need to have someone from KU on the 1st team. I believe, as you do, that the 1st 4 are set in stone. I also believe that Maric has quietly had a monster year. If they decide to vote a true C on the team, Maric is a shoe in. If it is truely the best 5, then who all is on the list for the 5th? IMO, Maric would still be about 6th or 7th, which might still get him the nod. Otherwise, I'd have to say Zeno is the 5th.

Maric, Wright, Curry, Augustine, Carter on 2nd team?

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Normally there are 3 Gs and 2 Fs on the list.

i didn't realize that. that be the case, i'd still go with Maric...and if not him maybe Wright. i see Zeno more on the second team, but i'd have to think about that second team for a bit. it would seem ridiculous to me, if they felt they had to have someone from kansas on the first team...

K-State Spur
02-12-2007, 04:42 PM
David Hoskins over Carter.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 04:46 PM
They usually are G heavy in the B12. Honestly, true superstar C players are rare in college.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
2006-07 All-Big 12 Men's Basketball Preseason Individual Honors Announced

Oct. 11, 2006

Sophomore teammates Brandon Rush and Julian Wright (Kansas) have been named the Big 12 Preseason Players of the Year, it was announced. Junior guard Charles Burgess (Texas Tech) was chosen as Preseason Newcomer of the Year, while forward Kevin Durant (Texas) earned Freshman of the Year accolades. Players honored in preseason voting were selected by the league head coaches, who are not permitted to vote for their own student-athletes.

Last season, Rush was the first freshman in conference history to be named to the All-Big 12 First Team. He averaged 13.5 points and 5.9 overall, stepping up to averages of 15.1 and 6.6 in league play. He scored 20 points or more six times and was in double figures in 24 contests overall. Wright was an All-Big 12 Honorable Mention selection a year ago after recording 8.5 points per game and shooting 56.4 percent from the field. He also had 42 blocks. The preseason selection of Rush and Wright marks the first time in Big 12 history that two players have shared the honor.

Burgess averaged 15.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 5.1 assists in 2005-06 for Howard College in Texas. The New York City native was named the NJCAA Player of the Year last season and was also named to the all-region team a year ago.

Durant is among the nation's top incoming freshman and is the highest-rated prospect to ever play for the Longhorns. He was honored as the co-MVP of the McDonald's All-America game in 2006 after finishing with 25 points. Durant was selected as the top small forward in the nation by Rivals.com after averaging 23.6 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.6 blocks during his senior campaign.

The preseason All-Big 12 team was also announced. In addition to Rush and Wright, the following players were recognized - Richard Roby (Colorado), Acie Law (Texas A&M), Joseph Jones (Texas A&M) and Jarrius Jackson (Texas Tech). Roby, Rush and Jackson are all returning All-Big 12 First Team members from last season. A tie in the voting created an additional position on this year's preseason squad.

Preseason Players of the Year
Brandon Rush, Kansas, G, So., 6-6, 212, Kansas City, Mo./Mt. Zion Academy (N.C.)
Julian Wright, Kansas, F, So., 6-8, 218, Chicago Heights, Ill./Homewood-Flossmoor

Preseason Newcomer of the Year
Charles Burgess, Texas Tech, G, Jr., 6-1, 190, New York, N.Y./Howard College (Texas)

Preseason Freshman of the Year
Kevin Durant, Texas, F, Fr., 6-9, 225, Suitland, Md./Montrose Christian

2006-07 Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Name, School
Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. Hometown/Previous School(s)
Richard Roby, Colorado
G 6-6 205 Jr. San Bernardino, Calif./Lawrence Academy (Mass.)
Brandon Rush, Kansas G 6-6 212 So. Kansas City, Mo./Mt. Zion Academy (N.C.)
Julian Wright, Kansas F 6-8 218 So. Chicago Heights, Ill./Homewood-Flossmoor
Acie Law, Texas A&M G 6-3 195 Sr. Dallas, Texas/Kimball
Joseph Jones, Texas A&M F 6-9 250 Jr. Normangee, Texas/Normangee
Jarrius Jackson, Texas Tech G 6-1 185 Sr. Monroe, La./Ouachita

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Honestly, true superstar C players are rare in college.

yep.

johngateswhiteley
02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
btw, i forgot to mention...talk about falling off the face of the earth: Richard Roby...guess he'll avoid the draft and come back...again.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
What about Jones? Heck I'd give AK an hon mention spot before him.

You are right, tho, Roby doesn't sniff any team.

johngateswhiteley
02-13-2007, 07:36 AM
What about Jones? Heck I'd give AK an hon mention spot before him.

Jones has been fine this year. his FG%, FT%, and 3PT% are all up...his PPG are slightly down and RPG same even though he is playing less minutes. of course, this has to do with Antanas's emergence. but one could argue that more was expected from him this year. the good thing, is it looks like he will be back next year and that should give him better #'s going into the 2008 draft.

even with Law and Antanas leaving, A&M should be darn good next year...top 25 if you ask me. i really like what i see from Sloan, Davis, Elonu, etc.

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I think they are completely Law. As he goes, so goes the team. AK has been a suprise. Jones is just a big guy in foul trouble all the time. They are going to have one of the guys emerge as a star for next year, and i don't see any of them doin it.

johngateswhiteley
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I think they are completely Law. As he goes, so goes the team. AK has been a suprise. Jones is just a big guy in foul trouble all the time. They are going to have one of the guys emerge as a star for next year, and i don't see any of them doin it.

i disagree...surprise, surprise. remember when Law went out of the t.u. game and the Ags made a run with him in the locker room? and in the kansas game, Davis and Sloan played some solid minutes. Davis and Sloan are going to be money next year. i'd say the starting 5 will be:

PG Sloan
SG Carter
G Kirk
PF Davis
C Jones

...they'll be very good and their bench will be better than this years.

quote me on this, "A&M will win the regular season big 12 next year...giving them back2back titles." :lol

Jimcs50
02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
i disagree...surprise, surprise. remember when Law went out of the t.u. game and the Ags made a run with him in the locker room? and in the kansas game, Davis and Sloan played some solid minutes. Davis and Sloan are going to be money next year. i'd say the starting 5 will be:

PG Sloan
SG Carter
G Kirk
PF Davis
C Jones

...they'll be very good and their bench will be better than this years.

quote me on this, "A&M will win the regular season big 12 next year...giving them back2back titles." :lol

Jordan will start at center next year....no doubt about it.

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I have no faith in Jones. He reminds me of Bookout - a standout 1st year; completely hyped every year; never lived up to expectations. Carter is streakier than an 80s ho's hairdo. In your 3 losses, he had a combined 10 points, 9 fouls and 5 turn overs.

johngateswhiteley
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Jordan will start at center next year....no doubt about it.

well, i am not so sure. i know he will be better talent wise, but i doubt that Billy starts him over Davis and especially Jones. that being said he will get just as much time as them...you can bank on that.

johngateswhiteley
02-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Carter is streakier than an 80s ho's hairdo. In your 3 losses, he had a combined 10 points, 9 fouls and 5 turn overs.

1. its not Jones's fault he was hyped up too much, which i agree with you about, btw. the problem is he just fouls too much...other than that he's pretty good

2. you mentioned Law was the team, and i agree he leads the guys...but the teams success really rides on Carter's shoulders as well. when Carter and Law are on...forget about it...

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
This is another example of why I think Carter sucks. He has great stats in wins, but is completely absent in losses, and it isn't like people are guarding him as the main or even 2nd option.

4 losses - 15 points, 12 fouls, 6 turnovers.