PDA

View Full Version : Latest Example. Spurs 2-4 without Manu starting. Nice going Pop

rob5
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Let's not over complicate Pop. The fact is he is alot luckier than he is good and his luck is starting to run out.. Way back when he fired Bob Hill the same day that Robinson was coming back from the dl was a great opportunity for him to step in and look good. Since no one else had ever hired him as a head coach I guess he just decided to hire himself. At first it looked like it wouldn't work out for him because then we lost Robinson again later that season to injury along with Sean Elliot. But with Pop as coach of course we played in the toilet and ended up with Duncan and a healthy David Robinson the next year and the rest is history. Of course if we would have had a "real" coach all these years with the players we've had we would be talking dynasty. Pop's just a guy who was at the right place at the right time. Maybe not the Forrest Gump of NBA coaching, but pretty damn close.

objective
02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
It was the last page in the Pop playbook.

Now he's even gone back to the first chapter to break out the 'soft' card again.

Extra Stout
02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
:lmao So when Pop gets inducted into the Hall of Fame, are you going to kill yourself?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I fail to see how Manu not starting has affected his play at the end of games or in the fourth quarter.

The last thing that's a problem with this team is Manu's position on the "depth chart."

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Pop starting Barry over Manu doesn't make Oberto and Elson suck any more or less. There's plenty of things to call Pop out on, this isn't one of them.

Can someone just sticky one of the "Pop sucks" threads and one of the "Spurs won't win a championship" threads at the top of the page? It seems like there's at least three of each popping up every day.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said.^

The Truth #6
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Manu has played well since coming off the bench. Starting Barry might just be to boost his trade value, oops, I mean confidence.

rob5
02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe Manu is doing well with the move...but i think it has effected the confidence of the rest of the bench

lessthannick11
02-12-2007, 01:49 PM
doesnt the bench have to have SOME confidence for it to be affected?

rob5
02-12-2007, 01:50 PM
:lmao So when Pop gets inducted into the Hall of Fame, are you going to kill yourself?

He should get into the HOF. It would confirm my luck analogy.

Supergirl
02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Let's not over complicate Pop. The fact is he is alot luckier than he is good and his luck is starting to run out.. Way back when he fired Bob Hill the same day that Robinson was coming back from the dl was a great opportunity for him to step in and look good. Since no one else had ever hired him as a head coach I guess he just decided to hire himself. At first it looked like it wouldn't work out for him because then we lost Robinson again later that season to injury along with Sean Elliot. But with Pop as coach of course we played in the toilet and ended up with Duncan and a healthy David Robinson the next year and the rest is history. Of course if we would have had a "real" coach all these years with the players we've had we would be talking dynasty. Pop's just a guy who was at the right place at the right time. Maybe not the Forrest Gump of NBA coaching, but pretty damn close.

You know, the minute you start complaining about having THREE CHAMPIONSHIPS you lose all credibility in my book.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
You know, the minute you start complaining about having THREE CHAMPIONSHIPS you lose all credibility in my book.

So I suppose my friends and co-workers that are Celtics fans should feel just peachy right about now?

sprrs
02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Maybe Manu is doing well with the move...but i think it has effected the confidence of the rest of the bench

The bench was doing piss-poor without Manu, they've improved now. Like others have said, benching Manu isn't the problem.

timvp
02-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Barry is playing better starting. Manu has been playing better coming off the bench.

Good thread.

:shootme

boutons_
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Super bad logic and analysis, as if Manu not/starting were the only causal variable, when there are lots of other causes in play.

How about this one:

Tim has been playing MUCH better than Nov/Dec, but Spurs are a .500 club, so Tim's better play makes Spurs a .500 club.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Manu has played well since coming off the bench. Starting Barry might just be to boost his trade value, oops, I mean confidence.

manu have been playing well since he arrived to the NBA,eather coming from the bench or starting.
Thats why Pop seats him on the bench enytime he considers that the team needs a boost from the bench,I think he really does it to show the rest of the guys in the bench that the team needs some help from them to, and Eventually theyīre gonna have to step up or go home.
I donīt think it afects manuīs game at all,to come from the bench.

nkdlunch
02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
all this strategy has given us is a shittier starting 5.

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
all this strategy has given us is a shittier starting 5.
the starting 5 donīt really matter,it matters who ends up playing more and the key minutes(last 7 mins of 4 rd quarter)

nkdlunch
02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
It doesn't matter? then why don't we start Jack Vaughn?

ArgSpursFan
02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
It doesn't matter? then why don't we start Jack Vaughn?

why not?start him,and them after a minute bring Parker,who cares?
ask any guy who plays the game,what he could reather do,start and play only 10 to 12 mins p/game or come from the bench and play 25 to 32 mins and end up on the floor every single game in the 4rd quarter and finish playing the game .
I know people think coming from the bench is disrespecting for a star like parker or ginobili or Duncan,but these guys just wanna be on the floor when it really matters.(4rd quarter)and getting things done.

lrcvsc
02-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Why is it, when the Spurs are losing we hear from Pop and others how the players are not doing thier job and when the Spurs are winning all we hear is how great a coach Pop is????

Another thing calling the Spurs soft is allot better that hearing about Beno not being the player that he was meant to be...

Stop the excuses Pop and freaking coach....

SequSpur
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
For the record... Manu not starting is stupid.

itzsoweezee
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
speaking of examples of pop's ineptness, he continues to go to small ball after building leads using non-small ball.

SuperManu!!!
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Bench bowen and start manu & barry, trade finley and beno, change oberto for scola (in my dreams) and get a real good draft pick. Finally, freeze horry until playoffs

WalterBenitez
02-12-2007, 10:05 PM

I imagine Pop being introduced ...

This guy got 3 campionshionship and could got 7! :bang

WalterBenitez
02-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I fail to see how Manu not starting has affected his play at the end of games or in the fourth quarter.

The last thing that's a problem with this team is Manu's position on the "depth chart."

On third quarter didn't touch any ball, not even his!
:oops

Cherry
02-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Bench bowen and start manu & barry, trade finley and beno, change oberto for scola *(in my dreams) and get a real good draft pick. Finally, freeze horry until playoffs

*and sign Nocioni! :devil (in my dreams)

Kori Ellis
02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Manu starting or not starting isn't the problem to winning or losing. However, Manu seems to have more energy when he comes off the bench.

Rebounding and interior D are killing the Spurs. We need a new big man.

conversekid
02-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Rebounding and interior D are killing the Spurs. We need a new big man.

ding ding ding... winner. throw in the fact we need some role players to step up... the consistent 3 point shooting as the benches primary option sucks.

TMTTRIO
02-12-2007, 11:38 PM
The problem with it though is we usually come out flat in the third quarter and usually loose a lead by the time Manu comes back in and so he has to fight twice as hard and he makes a lot of mistakes trying to help the team come back.